Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Yeoman

Default When did CM start to endorse sponsorship of other websites?

Its a persons tag, it may seem innocent. But do you know where the tags some people are attaching to their signatures go to? Will you take that risk as a link recommended by Cruisemates, and traced back?

Personally, I have not followed them, but some will and they may not be as light and friendly links that CM would want to be associated with.

This came to my attention on another thread on gripes with someone posting a view, great opinion. But their tag line / links could take others into websites that are,,,mmm

Not saying that person was doing this, but allowing "other" URLS to be part of the post or signature is soooo risky, when it can be controlled by policy

Ps if you are stuck its the upgrade thread
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Is my signature the one you are referring? If so, the signature is from a create-a-banner website and the countdown clock is from a countdown link in a resort/hotel website. This particular travel website specializes in its own non-cruise vacations so there is no conflict. It is a very popular way to create a colorful countdown clock.

No conflicts. I found both sites by admiring other poster's signature and going into the site to create the one I have.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Hi DBG,

You should know by now that if you see something "suspicious" you should click the "report this post" and expound on why it should be reported ! That's what I do!

Goodness knows, some of your posts have probably been "reported" in the very distant past !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
Hi DBG,

You should know by now that if you see something "suspicious" you should click the "report this post" and expound on why it should be reported ! That's what I do!

G'd knows, some of your posts have probably been "reported" in the very distant past !
I don't think he came back to this thread because once I explained where I got the design from, he realized it was just two benign websites that are very popular on the "net" for creating individual signatures. When you use these free services, they attached their website's address to your creation to attract more people to their websites. In fact, if I am not mistaken, the ads that are posted on these two websites are similar to the ones that are running on this board. There is nothing untoward about either signs. However, if a person is not in tone to the latest internet features, they may not recognize these features and assume that they are advertisements for the poster's business. They are not. They are what they appear -- simple creative signatures.

Have no fear, the moderators of this board are well aware of these websites. They are used a lot on MySpace, YouTube, many of the larger boards.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Yeoman

Actually, I did not come back as I've had Internet connectivity problems for the past few days.

As a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) let me bring you up to speed for free.

Spurious links attached to posts on popular sites like this are how the bad guys deal. They lead other people to click onto a url and to go to for the "freebie" and for some "glitter". And that can be adult stuff, free music tracks, video or a simple thing like a flashing gif. These are one of the major sources of personal computer infestation today.

And by doing so in ll innocence, you can suddenly have malware or “key logging tools� on your computer. ie by downloading that music file, nice picture or “funny attachment� sent by email or link you have also downloaded stuff that will work in the background that you are totally unaware of on your pc.

And all that can lead to identity theft, credit card fraud and if you’re lucky just a screwed up pc.

It may seem innocent, but all that glitters,,mmm usually is for FREE for a reason.

So that’s why I say, don’t allow it on a respected web site like this, if some friend sends you an email with a link, fine your choice to follow it, but be aware.

Ps
Key logging means that EVERYTHING you type is also being transmitted to another computer and person somewhere in the world and most people would not have a clue it is happening to them, until the credit card comes in.

And such tools I could hide in a video, a picture, a free music track and especially in an animated “glitter�gif. I never said your's from that site were wrong or bad, it's the concept of allowing the potential cascade thats wrong.

How do you think people shopping online get their credit card details stolen? Is it because they clicked on something that says "click here and I will steal your details"
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Thanks David for coming back to explain. It makes sense what you say. I have reported posts that make no bones about leading you to another site, and one in particular lead to another cruise site.

I never thought of Glitter being bad news. Something to think about.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 15th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Yeoman

Thanks Lu,, maybe I am just trying to stop what I have to deal with day in and day out as my job, ie people click a fun link and suddenly a day or so later their Internet Banking account or credit card is being robbed And they dont know why

Great place the internet, but not all on it or what they offer is 8). And such things dont "just appear" on computers...unless the person owning them are totally stupid and have no up to date firewall and virus guard,,,,in that case usually someone "clicked" on something to bring it down in the first place.
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Admiral

IMHO, what you illustrate can happen at any website with any link. Most companies on the internet succeed because of links. Therefore, they have a vested interest in policing their own website for trogans, spamware, etc.

In this day and age of sophisticated firewalls, virus scans, spam protection and the like, a lot less gets through than most people think. And, unless a person is still using the old-fangled telephone line to access the internet, more than likely they have a firewall and some form of virus scan that both run checks on a regular basis. This is only good sense and there are many different fire walls/virus scans that are free. Microsoft have several excellent safety products available for free. On my computer are several different products that continuous scan my computer for foreign objects. I almost never have anything on my computer to sound any alarms and last time I checked, all of my accounts and info were perfectly safe. And, I bounce around the internet a lot

Most forum board users are relatively Internet sauvy so the threat you speak is almost non-existent. The trojans come onboard when you download stuff to your hard drive. Even with a trojan on your hard drive, your firewall will stop most traffic from going back and forth which would make recording keystrokes useless b/c every keystroke will not get through and the hacker would just have a bunch of letters and numbers that lead no where because they are incomplete.

Identity thief does not come about because of recording an unseen/unknown person's keystrokes. Recording keystrokes is a laborious practice and is usually done by someone (employer/law enforcement?) who know what they are looking for and from whom (employee/suspect?). It is generally not someone just hacking into the annoymous web surfer's internet access. At one time yes, now - not so much.

Be fair, these signatures are just your pet peeve. They are harmless but you just don't like them. I would imagine when you create a forum board, you will ban them. I recently stumbled on a board that bans them, tickers, fancy fonts and a whole lot of other stuff. I never went back to this particular board. Why? Not b/c I need a signature or a ticker but because that level of policing if way too "big brother" for my personal taste.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old April 16th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Yeoman

Again back to my first post, I NEVER said this was about you, so stop defending. Its the scenario I'm talking about.

Not going to argue my job or personal security on the internet with you. But thanks for your input..interesting 8) God bless Google