Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Why Is It?

Why is it that every once in awhile, you get someone new to the boards, and they seem to follow you around, complaining, or making snide comments about something you have said. It doesn't matter what the subject. There is one on the boards now, who if you look at their pass postings, it is all controversial, or appears to pick a fight. Is this some kind of game people play?

Did they mean to go to another web site, but took a wrong turn, and ended up here. Did they miss being appointed to the debate team in
school?

Does their life suck, and wish they had company?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne
That's it! Most of us know the "Cruise Gripes" regular posters and don't think a thing about their new "gripes", but when someone is "stalking" all your posts, that's very different!

Can you spell T-R-O-L-L

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Maybe it is one of those "Unpleaseable People"...you know misery loves company...."If I'm not happy, no one should be happy" kind of thinking. Just ignore them, maybe they will go away...
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:33 PM
Admiral

A troll huh? :o Maybe we need to get one of the kind heroes from yesteryear to come forth and do battle for us. They need to get a life. I feel your pain, Luanne, I have one also.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:43 PM
Yeoman

I've found some real nastiness of late on these boards.
I don't come here much anymore.

I wouldn't say someone is a "troll" just because he/she seems to pick on some people. I'd call the person an Internet bully. Some people like to go on message boards and try to impress people with their vast knowledge.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Wow!! Hey Fruitcake, I was thinking of you this morning and was going to post whether anyone had seen you lately. Good to see you.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Yeoman

WOW!

I didn't think anyone would notice! Well, maybe DBG would.

I needed a time out. The tenor of some of the posts was starting to get to me.

How are things in the Lone Star State? I see there was a shooting at a complex near the Galleria. It was on CNN today.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
First Mate

MEHAWK Lets get the viking hero BEOWULF to take care of the troll like he did with the troll Grendel.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Fruitcake, things in Houston have been hectic... that Galleria area shooting, the NASA shooting, just one of those time periods. Glad to see you back though.

Old April 24th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Yeoman

If I were you, I'd grab me a carton of Blue Bell ice cream and a spoon ...

That's right, the NASA shooting was down there too.
Seems like a lot going on in your neck of the woods.

As far as trolls ... I think one of the best things to do is to ignore them!
They crave attention and try every trick in the book to get it.
When they're ignored, they grow bored.
I know, hard to do when they are stirring the pot.
We all have our limits on what we're willing to tolerate.
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Wow!! Hey Fruitcake, I was thinking of you this morning and was going to post whether anyone had seen you lately. Good to see you.
Well, I might be disappearing again.
Seems a lot of bullying going on in the "styles on board" section of this board.
I'm sure you don't tend to go over there, but you should take a peek.
It's enlightening.
And very, very frustrating.
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Captain

the ones who get me mad are the vast knowledge ones who read your post then check for spelling mistake sorry if i'm perfect
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Yeoman

Lu, makes a good point and for me I now say "whatever". I dont get stressed or feel the need to argue every point anymore.

Actually thats not quite true, I will still have my say.... and if I dont like the reply, it does not bother me. Why, because I posted within CM rules and you are a stranger, I dont know you or understand you or your values in life as a basis of how to treat you as a person...so I react to your words.

But some do tend to "stalk" no matter what you say, and go for it (especially if you upset them).... They are just looking for a reaction 8) and a get back at you.

Key thing is dont react to them, unless you feel it can drive the debate without you having a stroke or a heart attack because of it. I'm learning 8)

Dont take it personal, its only strangers meeting on the common understanding that we express opinion "on the internet" on a common subject.
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddletoe53
the ones who get me mad are the vast knowledge ones who read your post then check for spelling mistake sorry if i'm perfect
This drives me nuts, too! If people post their opinion spelling (or even syntax) shouldn't count !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBG
Actually thats not quite true, I will still have my say.... and if I dont like the reply, it does not bother me. Why, because I posted within CM rules and you are a stranger, I dont know you or understand you or your values in life as a basis of how to treat you as a person...so I react to your words.
While I agree with you to an extent, you (and I) have been here long enough that we "know" most people who post and that what they say and what they mean can be different things !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 29th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddletoe53
You forgot the period at the end of the sentence.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 29th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Yeoman

Fern agreed, sometimes its more dangerous having a chat with people you "think you know".

And based on that "knowing" experience of the person, words, tone, and attitude, then you have a reasonable "idea" of them as a person, and that there is an "appreciation" of each other when "talking".

But not in the scenario Lu presented, which is real, especially if you comment on subjects or are seen as outspoken. You are a target.

But, lets remember again, that at some time on here we were all "newbies" and maybe a bit feisty, so comment accordingly in reply.

The good ones will play the game and come back, and those playing another game will soon get bored and maybe disappear, if not be prepared to argue your point…..in a nice way.

There is no doubt that the longer you hang about here you pick up "friends" or like minded people, but at the same time people you do not always see eye to eye with, but hey thats life

And even more important for me, its opinion and hopefully not always the same. HOW BORING WOULD THAT BE
Old April 29th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
........There is no doubt that the longer you hang about here you pick up "friends" or like minded people, but at the same time people you do not always see eye to eye with, but hey thats life

And even more important for me, its opinion and hopefully not always the same. HOW BORING WOULD THAT BE
DBG, I dare to say, you have mellowed! Friend
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Yeoman

Do I know you Darlene .....

How dare you say I have mellowed, that's slander and I could report it

Respect
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

David,
I agree with ready, Your posts now have me shaking my head in agreement with you! ( sometimes) All said and done I do enjoy reading your posts!
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Why Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
Why is it that every once in awhile, you get someone new to the boards, and they seem to follow you around, complaining, or making snide comments about something you have said. It doesn't matter what the subject. There is one on the boards now, who if you look at their pass postings, it is all controversial, or appears to pick a fight. Is this some kind of game people play?

Did they mean to go to another web site, but took a wrong turn, and ended up here. Did they miss being appointed to the debate team in
school?

Hey folks. I am new here but I want to add something.

There is another huge board, that is a mess right now. People have been leaving in droves or come for a few posts, get attacked, never to be seen from again. There visit count is way down. I used to visit this board but the fighting got to be too much. The powers that be over there are trying some of everything to stem the bleed of members/visitors. It has gotten so bad that threads are pulled so often that good useful information is routinely lost because the fighters use any popular thread to launch fights and arguments. Word gets around that this and one other board are both decent size, plenty of info and laughs but with a much more mellow demeanor.

Now with that in mind, understand that some of the firestarters at that other board will come on here to try to stir up trouble and to create the same hostile environment that exist on the aforementioned giant board.

Be mindful of this when you see someone with a very low post count who seems to stalk or stir up disagreement at every opportunity. It is not an accident.

Just wanted to add that. I enjoy this board and so far even the disagreements are either mutually nullifed and shortlived or seem to be relatively good natured and funny. I hope it continues like this.

Someone else gave the best advice, don't feed into it no matter what.

Keep it fun if at all possible.

Happy Cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Admiral

IBCruzzin; very good advice if you come across a troll, flamer or hit & run poster; the best thing is silence; as they will be looking elsewhere for a reaction. (I used to post elsewhere and agree that it got to be too mean, a person couldn't post even a small negative without getting pounced on and then you couldn't find an answer as you had to scroll through pages of argument)
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:23 PM
Yeoman

God, I'm getting fed up asking this , as the house hermit of Gripes, who lives here.....will someone please send me a PM with a clue as to "this site". I have no idea what you are talking about.

Maybe I could go there and be a troll........mmmm.

That could be....an experience
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:49 PM
Admiral

I sent you a pm.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Just for the record, I don't think these people I have in mind, are trolls. I just think they get off on causing trouble.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old May 1st, 2007, 11:01 PM
Yeoman

"There is another huge board, that is a mess right now. People have been leaving in droves or come for a few posts, get attacked, never to be seen from again."

Yep, IBCruisen, I just publicaly "resigned" from it the other day. After reading a lengthy thread with many, many insults being slung back and forth, all over an OP asking a question,I posted a message and told them "adios" and why. It wasn't very long until I got flamed myself....lol. I hope this message board will be better.

edited for spelling errors...more than once
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
Just for the record, I don't think these people I have in mind, are trolls. I just think they get off on causing trouble.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46
"There is another huge board, that is a mess right now. People have been leaving in droves or come for a few posts, get attacked, never to be seen from again."

Yep, IBCruisen, I just publicaly "resigned" from it the other day. After reading a lengthy thread with many, many insults being slung back and forth, all over an OP asking a question,I posted a message and told them "adios" and why. It wasn't very long until I got flamed myself....lol. I hope this message board will be better.

Well Inis46, welcome aboard and here's wishes for smooth sailings!!!!!! For the most part, you will find this board is the Best! So jump on in, the water is pleasant and the cruisers are helpful....
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46

Yes, I also officially resigned from this board also(we all know the one we are talking about). I had the mgr of the board remove all traces of any personal info (name, email, etc.). I won't go back. I don't have conflicts in the real world. I can't imagine having conflicts in cyberspace. It is not why I come to these forum boards. However, I suspect that the same people that general go through life invisible and insignificant to the rest of the world are the type of people that become bigger than life on the web. It is their chance to be the High School Cheerleader or Star Quarterback a.k.a. a leader and part of the "popular crowd". They therefore must guard their fiefdom fiercely lest they be dethroned.

So far this board and one other smaller one are very good. I have gotten more info and good useful advice from here than I did in years on the other board. The fights just clog up the works.

Happy Cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
Admiral

That was very well said. There is no reason for there to be problems on any board. We are, after all here to share our experiences, give advice, and for the most part, have fun.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
Yeoman

Thanks msblackjack for the very nice welcome and hope you have a wonderful upcoming cruise!

Very well put, IBCruizan.....I think this board is going to be the way a message board should be, ppl seem to get along so much better here. Let's hope the troublemakers from "the other" one don't flock here...

Luanne, I agree 100%!