Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Beginner

Default non returned items left on the ship

I know it is our fault. However, out of 7 cruises we have forgotten a few things in the room after the cruise. Both times it took weeks for Canival to say that the items were not found. Are the next cruisers in that room keeping these items or is the Cabin Stewards keeping and trading the items for what they like. Has this happened to others?? Last time it was two nice coats that we of course did not need until we returned to Wyoming.
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

The only thing I ever lost on a cruise was my passport! I think I had it in my hand when I was lugging my own luggage at the end and dropped it down the elevator shaft. That's the only thing I could think of because I know when I had it last and I immediately retraced every step I took back to my cabin and didn't find it. Thought I would have to spend the money to replace it but Carnival found it and mailed it back to me.

I'm obsessive when leaving a place and I'll check everywhere several times before I leave so hopefully I'll never leave something behind.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Admiral

Never left anything behind but once, I lost my ID on the ship and it was at the pursers' office by the time I got there.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

I meticulously check the room several times after all have packed up for any leftover items, on a cruise or in a hotel.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Admiral

I left a suitcase in the terminal once, just couldn't find it, even with Carnival's help. They returned it to me two weeks later (at my expense), lock broken and suitcase searched by Carnival. Last cruise, we found a nice suitcase in our closet and turned it in to the Purser's Desk. Everything left on the ship or in the terminal goes to Lost and Found where they log it in. I don't know how long they keep these items or what happens to them if no one claims them.
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Yeoman

Gww, sorry you lost stuff , but as others say check your cabin before you leave.

BUT I HAVE TO SAY. In my experience most clothes hanging rails are either in a tiny closet or "open" to view in the cabin.

How the heck can you lose "two coats", that scenario is different to losing an expensive shoe that may have "slipped" under the bed unnoticed, but "two coats", come one.

But to answer your question,,,nothing left on rails, in drawers etc will the next occupent see. As for the cabin stewards and what they do when they find stuff, well thats another story or scenario.

I suppose its down to the value of the item and the honesty of the person
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Admiral

On my NCL PofAm cruise I left a novel and a new pair of sandals. I never bothered to call to see if they had been turned in. I repurchased the novel used on amazon.com for less than $1 and since the sandals were simple black slides from Walmart, i repurchased those also.

I think items are suppose dto be turned into lost and found but my guess is that most items end up in the "free for all" pile down in the crew's quarters. Their living quarters are very small so they probably do not want anything that has any bulk to it but it is anyone's guess what happens to the items. However, if it is something that a passenger is likely to make an issue of trying to get back, they probably turn that stuff in rather than risk losing their jobs.

My sandals probably found a loving home on someone's feet. Good for them.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Beginner

To explain further, we stored the coats in with the life vests and annoying items in one side of the drawers under the couch. Thought this would be a great place to put them until we packed to leave, therefore the other storage places would be totally free.

As usual the packing to leave sucks. Hate to have to leave and just didn't take the time to remember we had put the coats in that location since we had not had to open that storage compartment since the beginning of the cruise.

The other item we lost and was not as big a deal was a charger for a shaver. This was plugged in to the outlet above the bath mirror. Thought this may have stayed for awhile or was just thrown away by another cruiser.

But two coats, one a nice DARE jacket and the other a nice black leather jacket could not be found by Carnival. Again not sure if all know about this storage area so why were they not found or turned in.

Wife also lost a bracelet on this cruise when she dropped it in an elevator and we did not realize this until it was too late. Know an elderly gentleman
saw it drop off the wifes wrist but failed to turn it in to the pursors office.

Still love cruising but just wonder where these items go and why someone would jeopordize their job for a coat that most likely would not fit them.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gww
To explain further, we stored the coats in with the life vests and annoying items in one side of the drawers under the couch. Thought this would be a great place to put them until we packed to leave, therefore the other storage places would be totally free.

As usual the packing to leave sucks. Hate to have to leave and just didn't take the time to remember we had put the coats in that location since we had not had to open that storage compartment since the beginning of the cruise.

The other item we lost and was not as big a deal was a charger for a shaver. This was plugged in to the outlet above the bath mirror. Thought this may have stayed for awhile or was just thrown away by another cruiser.

But two coats, one a nice DARE jacket and the other a nice black leather jacket could not be found by Carnival. Again not sure if all know about this storage area so why were they not found or turned in.

Wife also lost a bracelet on this cruise when she dropped it in an elevator and we did not realize this until it was too late. Know an elderly gentleman
saw it drop off the wifes wrist but failed to turn it in to the pursors office.

Still love cruising but just wonder where these items go and why someone would jeopordize their job for a coat that most likely would not fit them.
How long ago was this? I have heard that it sometimes takes months but items are eventually returned.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: non returned items left on the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by gww
I know it is our fault. However, out of 7 cruises we have forgotten a few things in the room after the cruise. Both times it took weeks for Canival to say that the items were not found. Are the next cruisers in that room keeping these items or is the Cabin Stewards keeping and trading the items for what they like. Has this happened to others?? Last time it was two nice coats that we of course did not need until we returned to Wyoming.
Never had the misfortune of leaving anything behind, YET! :evil:

Probably the stewards/stewarts divi it up between the staff.