Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Passenger

Default Unruly Kids at Holiday Time - Coral Princess

I have read such horror stories of kids being unsupervisored (at all hrs of the night), destroying property, controlling elevators, yelling and running, taking over adult pools, and hot tubs, even hitting some passengers that do not like their behavour that said something. And the staff do not care!

I am now thinking we should cancel our trip (Panama Canal from Fort Lauderdale- Coral Princess Dec 27-Jan 6). I knew there would be kids but this!? What about passenger rights of adults? Yes, I know some adults can be unruly and they are no better!
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

One nice thing about Princess, they limit the number of kids on each sailing, so I would think that it wouldn't be as bad as some other lines. They also have a cerfew in place during certain times.

I wouldn't go and cancel your cruise at this point, its been awhile since I've heard any horror stories, I think the lines have certain policies in line now that they didn't always.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Admiral

I wouldn't cancel either. Don't let the kids ruin your vacations. Just get up and go elsewhere on the ship.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Besides, there might not be any unruly kids around your group.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Don't cancel! The longer the cruise, the less likely there will be children on board.

Children will be children...but parents know better and MUST be held responsible for the acts of their unsupervised offspring!

When the kid runs amok, etc. The PARENTS should be brought to task. Of course most of time their excuse is, "Hey, he/she is just a kid", as if this says it all and should be the end of it. Yes, they’re right, children are children and without guidance and supervision will act out.... but THE PARENT'S know better and should not be rewarded for their lack of diligence.

So...just like when a citizen's dog or cat bites someone, the owner is held responsible because that pet must always be under the control of the owner...should anything less be demanded of parents?
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Captain

Default Re: Unruly Kids at Holiday Time - Coral Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbirdie
I have read such horror stories of kids being unsupervisored (at all hrs of the night), destroying property, controlling elevators, yelling and running, taking over adult pools, and hot tubs, even hitting some passengers that do not like their behavour that said something.
I sailed on Coral Princess from Ft. Lauderdale to the Panama Canal in April of last year. This cruise happened to be during "Easter holiday" in the UK, and the ship was filled with kids. I didn't see anything like you mention. Perhaps you can tell us where you read it?

Cheers, Aidan
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Passenger

"I have read such horror stories of kids being unsupervisored (at all hrs of the night), destroying property, controlling elevators, yelling and running, taking over adult pools, and hot tubs, even hitting some passengers that do not like their behavour that said something."

To answer Aiden's question as to where we saw these comment:

My husband found a number of posts and in particular on cruisecritic under feaures - member's speak out. I hope this link works.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features...les.cfm?ID=183
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbirdie
"I have read such horror stories of kids being unsupervisored (at all hrs of the night), destroying property, controlling elevators, yelling and running, taking over adult pools, and hot tubs, even hitting some passengers that do not like their behavour that said something."

To answer Aiden's question as to where we saw these comment:

My husband found a number of posts and in particular on cruisecritic under feaures - member's speak out. I hope this link works.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features...les.cfm?ID=183
Here is the deal, nsbirdie, and I have to be delicate lest the regulars jump on me! Vandalism, violence, etc. is NOT normal or common on on any cruise line, but .... there are two lines that specialize in teens: Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Frankly I would not fret over that 10-day cruise on Princess, many passengers will be people fascinated by the engineering marvel of the Canal ... some will have kids. I reallycan't imagine anything happening like you wrote in your original post.

The Coral is a beautiful ship!

Cheers, Aidan
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Passenger

Default To sail , or not to sail; tis the question..

Aiden, I appreciate your opinion - that is what forums are all about.

We still have some reservations and are waivering one way then the other. Tough being first timers and deciding what we really value at this time of our lives and at this time of the year.

Even looking at Oceania Regatta Jan 2 (10 days) from Miami because:
1) post holiday - less kids likely
2) more upscale - less kids
3) smaller - more intimate and less feeling like cattle; quieter
4) reputation is a bit more upscale
5) prices are almost equal due to no holiday surcharge
6) safer ports albiet less adventurous

Thanks to all for your willingness to hand hold a couple of newbies :wink:
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Just FYI, we cruise on Carnival a lot and rarely see that many kids. Only once have I seen truly rude kid behavior. I like my peace and quiet and after 35 cruises, I think I'm safe in saying that reading one or two posts by folks that need to vent a bit is not an accurate picture of reality. Worry less, anticipate fun more.
Marty
Old May 20th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Admiral

I also cruise Carnival mostly. I have never seen unruly, destructive children.

What I have seen is: the little ones are over-stimulated and give their parents heck in the buffet, the tweens are hogging all the pizza and have laid seige on the ice cream machine , the teens are hanging out in front of the disco with that wishful look on their face.

Occasionally you will see teens sitting on the steps but one good dirty look will usually get them to move along quietly.

I have never seen anything that would bother me.

On Carnival, there are hundreds of children and young people onboard each cruise and you just don't see them very much. I think they keep them chained up below deck for the duration of the cruise.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Passenger

Default Chain Gang...

Love the idea of the little ones in shackles below deck - dream'in...
I have never been on Carnival just a small cruise line that went island to island in the Greek Isles.

We are booked for New Year's on Coral Princess but we shall see..

Best thing is cruisers obviously have a wicked sense of humor!
Old May 20th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to sirobin171

I have been on two carnival cruises, and the only teens I noticed were the ones coming and going mostly quietly down the hall or walking by the teenie bopper club or near the pool where the slide is.

We heard one or two of them running up the hall, no big deal.

Worse case, you do have an annoying brat bugging you, throw him / her overboard., problem solved and you are the herio.

I joke.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Most of the parents make sure the kids are well occupied. The little ones are locked up in Camp Carnival, most of the teenagers are quitely poking around doing their thing. By the way kids are on all cruise lines, not just Carnival and RCCL.

Its a trade off, less kids, probably a dull ship with ikd old people, or families and young people. I dont know about you, I will go with the young people.
Old May 20th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Yeoman

Forget its this particular ship, its just that time of year and it will be either be okay or "they" will wind you up.

Go on your vacation, but dont do it with "gun already loaded" as to what you are going to experince, take it for what it is, and was.

And then come back and tell us if your fears were justified having done it 8)
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to sirobin171

Im not sure how it can be a particular ship? Do the kids around the world get together and plan ahead to pick on this ship?

Your right about not going with a loaded gun though. Just go have fun. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Forget its this particular ship, its just that time of year and it will be either be okay or "they" will wind you up.

Go on your vacation, but dont do it with "gun already loaded" as to what you are going to experince, take it for what it is, and was.

And then come back and tell us if your fears were justified having done it 8)
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:04 PM
Passenger

I got very angry on a past Carnival Elation cruise. Young teenagers were drunk. They couldn't have been more than 14 yrs. old. They were loud and obnoxious on the ship. Needless to say, I was not pleased.
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey
I got very angry on a past Carnival Elation cruise. Young teenagers were drunk. They couldn't have been more than 14 yrs. old. They were loud and obnoxious on the ship. Needless to say, I was not pleased.
Did you report it to security? If not, they might have fallen overboard and ruined the rest of your cruise or, at the very least, make you late for your next shore excursion while they looked for them in the water

Always report drunk teens. Sometimes if the parents are really not responsive, the captain will put the whole lot off at the next port. :evil: :evil:

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:54 PM
Yeoman

gbailey, that's why some people don’t sail some lines. Personally, I don’t sail on this line, but again that’s only my opinion, as it does not suit my expectations or enjoyment levels.

There is a big world out there regarding choice, and sorry. But if people pay and pick up cruises cheap. Then so have others, and you get the whole nine yards on social ability and acceptability that comes with that price.

Cut price cruising is now available to the mass market, sometimes that means you get and you then have to survive amongst the mass market that the lines present to you for the price paid...and what they think is a "vacation" 8)
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
gbailey, that's why some people don’t sail some lines. Personally, I don’t sail on this line, but again that’s only my opinion, as it does not suit my expectations or enjoyment levels.
I don't think it has a whole lot to do with the cruise line. I've heard reports about unruly kids on several different lines ... even some of the luxury ones. The whole key is when you choose to sail ... not necessarily what line you sail. Also, the itinerary and length of cruise will have a lot to do with how many children are onboard. Longer cruises will rarely see a lot of kids. Cruises that take place when most kids are in school will have few onboard. Cruises that have a generally more expensive itinerary will see fewer kids.

Example: My Holland America Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in January of 2006. Thirty days departing San Diego on January 6. I think we had two kids on that cruise ... and one of them was the child of an officer who was getting off with his mom in Hawaii.

My Island Princess 15-day Hawaii cruise in April of 2005. Nine children onboard, and most of them were pre-schoolers.

My Holland America Veendam Europe cruise this past April ... 18 days Tampa to Venice. I think we had seven children onboard and we rarely saw any of them. When we did, they were very well behaved and a joy to be around.

Yet, if you travel over a Christmas holiday on a mass market cruise line ... family-style destination ... you're gonna get kids by the hundreds. As with kids on land, some will be well-behaved and some will not. Some will have conscientious parents who monitor their children's activities, and some won't.

So pick your cruises carefully and you should have no problem with kids. I know I sure don't.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:08 AM
Passenger

Default holiday cruise

we have done 5 or 6 christmas and /or new years cruises.The last on celebrity will be our last.It was a an 11 day both holiday cruise.I like children and have just 1 (adult now) but children on board were out of control.Drugs on deck 4(you could smell them-passeneger cabins--routine is put the older kids in cheap cabins and see them when you get off--this was said to me by a passenegr);
young children(13 or 14 which i saw) drunk

usual unsupervised children with running pool areas elevators etc.

we have always paid premium pice for holday cruise--we will save our money

i wake early--up on deck for coffee 6 am or so.Many morning you teens were stil out on deck--never returning to cabin or having parents know their where abouts.

Unfortunately a young girl was raped on this particular cruise..Cruise ships are small cities--no safer than having your 13-14 year old out all night at home.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:30 PM
Yeoman

"The whole key is when you choose to sail ... not necessarily what line you sail. "

I so disagree kyros, it is so much easier for the majority to take children onto something like Carnival as the majority, than it is to pay the price required to take them onto an upmarket line and cruise as a family.

Honestly, in my opinion you will not see the same level of children if you cruise outside "the bucket price" paid and the ships they offer.

Its too expensive even for breaks for the majority of people.

Nbevins, sad picture you paint, what lines or ships did you experience this on, as after all my years and all those ships that I have been on, never experienced or seen that
Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
"The whole key is when you choose to sail ... not necessarily what line you sail. "

I so disagree kyros, it is so much easier for the majority to take children onto something like Carnival as the majority, than it is to pay the price required to take them onto an upmarket line and cruise as a family.
That's all a misperception on our part David.
Fact is the holiday times (when school is out) is generally the most expensive time to cruise.... because that's the time they can cruise with their families. And due to those limitations, they are willing to pay more to cruise.

In the Caribbean, the summer months is hurricane season, so logic would dictate prices would be lower. However, because of the demand for family vacations during that time, prices are generally high.

The same thing holds true for Holiday sailings, during Christmas, New Years, and Spring breaks. Prices are high, because demand from family groups is high.

It's not adults trying to escape that are filling the ships at Christmas and New Years, it's families! And that rule holds mostly true on ALL the cruise lines, other than the ultra luxury.
Basically Rita's analysis is very much the norm.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
It's not adults trying to escape that are filling the ships at Christmas and New Years, it's families! And that rule holds mostly true on ALL the cruise lines, other than the ultra luxury.
Basically Rita's analysis is very much the norm.
Often the price to sail on a Christmas cruise ... same exact itinerary ... same ship ... can be as high as twice the norm. Same goes for Disney vacations and other "family friendly" resorts.

That's why you see more and more families today vacationing at non-traditional times ... even if pulling the kids out of school is required. They are just not willing to pay those high bucks for a sailing they could get for half the price at another time of year. It's only the ones who are dead set against taking the kids out of school ... or for whom money is no real object ... who sail during these holiday periods. And, I don't care what line you sail on ... if you get a lot of kids in one place at one time ... you overwhelm the childrens' counselors and the kids will eventually find ways to make their own fun. Those ways may not be appealing to adults.

I've heard horror stories about unruly kids on just about every line. I believe Regent got a lot of complaints from their loyal older passengers about offering some "kids sail free" promotions on selected Alaska sailings. The kids get on the boat with their parents and grandparents, and ... especially if the line doesn't have a ton of ammenities specifically for kids ... those kids get bored and begin overrunning the ship. I've heard these stories on Crystal, Regent, Princess, RCL and HAL ... and probably other lines too.

So, my take on it is to simply avoid those kid friendly times. Let the kids and their parents have the ship over Christmas. Then, when the majority of them are all back in school, I'll take my cruise. I might have some kids on it ... but not so many that they will have any influence one way or the other over my cruise experience.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Passenger

Default our last xmas cruise

it was on celebrity..We love celebrity and that cruise was the only one we had a problem with dining room service--it was remedied with new waiter
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Admiral

I just got off of the Carnival Liberty. I purposely tend to book cruises during school time to avoid the 900 kids per ship experience.

However, Carnival has got it figured out. They make sure there is plenty to do every day, all day long for the under 18 set. On the Liberty, there was a large game room that I never saw closed as well as a teen disco which was a smaller replica of the adult disco. I walked by there several evenings and it seemed pretty crowded and well used. It even had a bar in it. My guess is that they served the non-alcoholic versions of the adult foo-foo drinks and various fruit smoothies.

On this cruise, I think I saw one teen get sick (probably drunk) in front of the teen disco. Security immediately surrounded him and he (and the carpet) was attended right away. I saw no unruly teens. Most nights when I was returning to my cabin at 3 or 4 a.m., there would be one or two groups of teens still up sitting on the sofas outside the two dance clubs. They were relatively quiet, talking amongst themselves and seemed to only want to sit up all night long. They certainly were not doing anything negative. Didn't see the teens much during the day. My guess was they slept late and played in the arcade until time to claim their favorite sofa on the promenade deck.

As far as DBG contention that the upscale lines would solve the "teens running amuck" problem, I beg to differ. I would think the young people on those upper crust lines, whether it be 3 or 300, would be more prone to be bored enough to go and look for entertainment of their own making. Also, the "upscale group" are notorious for paying someone else to raise their children so when they go finally go on a "family vacation", often times, they are actually cruising with children who are really strangers to them, the kids may be resentful and prone to mischievious behavior just for the attention.

On the mass market lines, you generally just get kids that are well loved by their parents. Loved enough for the parents to sacrifice hard-earned money to take their young on a nice vacation and quite familiar with the daily task of monitoring their offspring. Something that the patrons of the premium lines may not be accustomed to doing in their normal everyday lives.

More expensive often times does not mean better.

I would rather travel with 200 of Carnival's young than 25 of the neglected, over-indulged, love-starved privileged set found on the premium cruiselines. Those 25 would scare me to death. They believe they are above most rules and therefore are capable of anything, just for the thrill.

The only time I have ever seen unacceptable teen behavior was on NCL's Pride of America. Never on Carnival.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Yeoman

"I purposely tend to book cruises during school time to avoid the 900 kids per ship experience"

Sorry I thought these same children are the future of cruising and you would want to be part of it.

Lets just agree to disagree on how we see life and cruising

"However, Carnival has got it figured out. They make sure there is plenty to do every day"

No doubt they have in their own minds.... but its about taste
Old June 6th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Yeoman

Kuki

"That's all a misperception on our part David"

Its not Kuki, history and life, both with off and on shore vacations has been proven from hotel to ships

You usually get the people around you,,,, that you and they paid for.

And this board and the gripes of others regarding "personal" fellow passenger experience or their behaviour is why I can say that.

Bulk is bulk, and you get the lot.

Move up a notch in price, then less chance of being upset or disappointed on your expectation. But no guarantee.
Old June 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Admiral

I remember there was a long long video in circulation on the Internet last year showing a large group of teens completely out of control on a Princess ship. It showed the guards just standing around while the teens basically just trashed the pool deck. The tape went on for at least 25 minutes.

I am sure it is still on Youtube.

I have never seen that level of group negative behavior. There was one girl on my last cruise whose parents noticed a "hicky" on her neck halfway through the cruise. Dont' imagine she got that from just sitting on the sofa all night.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old June 16th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
I have never seen that level of group negative behavior. There was one girl on my last cruise whose parents noticed a "hicky" on her neck halfway through the cruise. Dont' imagine she got that from just sitting on the sofa all night.
And I don't imagine she would have gotten that if her parents had been monitoring her comings and goings a little bit better.

I think the majority of the times you have problems with out of control youths on cruises, it is because their parents are of the opinion that "I'm on vacation" and think that means they don't have to monitor their kids. I don't honestly blame the kids. I blame the parents when I hear about these kinds of things going on during a holiday cruise.

Personally, I think in cases where the kids are really disruptive ... and I don't mean just loud or splashing a lot out by the pools ... but really disruptive to the point of making the cruise a living h*ll for other passengers ... the entire family should be put off the ship at the next port. Then we'll see how mommy and daddy like it when they have to pay top dollar for plane fare to get everyone home from wherever they got left off.

I saw that video too ... and I agree that there is no excuse for that type of behavior. While I too was shocked that the 'youth security" people that Princess employs were just "standing around" and not doing anything ... in some ways I can understand that. They were clearly outnumbered and could have caused a riot had they tried to intervene. The situation would have then become even more dangerous that it already was. How I think it should have been handled was for the captain to get on the p.a. and asked the parents of these kids to please remove them from this area of the ship immediately. Then, if he gets no cooperation from the parents, and the kids continue their antics, he should have each family involved sent a communication to their stateroom asking them to get everyone in their party packed up ... cause their cruise is over at the next port.

Betcha one or two instances of that sort of thing and parents will become much more proactive in ensuring their kids are well-behaved while onboard. Either that or they will simply leave them at home next time.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old June 16th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Admiral

I have yet to come across unruly kids. However the one time I cruised with Carnival there were unruly ADULTS.

I rather have less kids on board. So my solution is cruise when schools are in session and you do get a better rate too.

I'm thinking of Jan 6th 08 for my next cruise however colleges are still on their break. I'd rather cruise when all schools are in session (elementary, middle, high school and college).

8) 8) 8) 8)

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas