Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Passenger

Default Visas Needed for Canadians Doing S Caribbean Cruise?

We are newbies and our on-line agency does not issue any required visas. Said it was up to us. From what I can tell, we do not need then for:
Tortola, San Juan, St Thomas, Barbados, Dominica, nor St Maartan

Does anyone know for usre?
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Our native Canadian,(Kuki) is still away on yet another cruise, but when he returns and reads the boards, I'm sure he'll provide the correct information for you.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi!
Canadians don't need any visas for all the places you mentionned,you can be sure of that, Happy cruising, Mateli
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Passenger

Default Yippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateli
Hi!
Canadians don't need any visas for all the places you mentionned,you can be sure of that, Happy cruising, Mateli
Thanks so much for re-affirming my thoughts!
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Captain

You can always check here for entry requirements for Canadian citizens to other countries
http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/ctry/reportpage-en.asp
Old May 26th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Yeoman

In today’s mad “global? society should every individual not be expected to carry a “passport? confirming his or her identity and "NATIONALITY".

What is this birth certificate, driver’s licence, proof of identity crap some see as an alternative I read on here, wake up.

Buy a passport....it gets you all around the world and back to your home and you would not need a visa, no matter where the ship docks.

Put it another way, what would you expect from someone from those areas when they turned up on Canada's door and said "let me in"

We have the right, you come to us, we come to you
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Passenger

[quote="DavidBgoodWhat is this birth certificate, driver’s licence, proof of identity crap some see as an alternative I read on here, wake up.

Buy a passport....it gets you all around the world and back to your home and you would not need a visa, no matter where the ship docks.

I have had a passport since 1970, my husband since 1968. But when we have travelled south via air to various islands, we have had to have a visa which the travel agency provided in advance thus the question. I did not realize that if one has a passport that one did not ever need a visa; that is news to me.
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
In today’s mad “global? society should every individual not be expected to carry a “passport? confirming his or her identity and "NATIONALITY".

What is this birth certificate, driver’s licence, proof of identity crap some see as an alternative I read on here, wake up.

Put it another way, what would you expect from someone from those areas when they turned up on Canada's door and said "let me in"

We have the right, you come to us, we come to you
DavidBwrong....many countries require a visa to enter. Many times, you get it for free at port of entry; for others, you need to acquire a visa in advance. This is true whether you are a Canadian, American, or a Brit.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Yeoman

This really is news to me, I've been to all those places and never as far as I know had a "visa" for entry Just my Brit passport.

Confused, but thanks all... feel as if I have missed something here, and somewhere in my understanding

But not about Visa's for entry, I do understand that, but not in these places
Old May 27th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Things have changed politically. I think that is why some countries now have Visa requirements as well as passports.
Marty...who really wishes Venezuela would lighten up so I could go back for a visit....no that I EVER take things personally myself!
Old May 27th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Yeoman

These are Carib islands, so are you saying that all Americans / Canadians/ other nationals visiting them now require a VISA?

Please tell me about the political change I have apparently missed. This could be big news for a lot of folks cruising. Who does it affect?

Maybe one of the full time “crew? can give guidance or comment regarding the scenario. That is if they read gripes 8)
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Passenger

DavidBgood..."These are Carib islands, so are you saying that all Americans / Canadians/ other nationals visiting them now require a VISA?'

The Canadian government site states visas are required for:
Panama, Bahamas, Cuba, Domincian Republic, Turks and Caicos and Mexico*
Old May 28th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Admiral

DBG,
I was referring to the Isle of Marguarite, which is owned by Venezuela. I think they now require visa, but I'm not even sure that ships will still go there now.
Marty
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Yeoman

Dont blame them too much hassle