Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Yeoman

Default Embarkation - Debarkation Times

Ok I've been racking my brain for a real gripe and think I finally have it. I mean look at some of these gripes, they are really getting stale.

Someone answer this for me, why in the blazes do you have to get up so early and get off the ship in the morning. Now I know what you will say, you have to get off so the next group can get on. Couldn't this be solved by making the sailing a little later.

I mean really, who besides me hates that early wakeup call and then the morning debarkation, wouldn't it be more enjoyable a little later and more liesurely?

Thoughts anyone...............

Bill 8)
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would also agree with you, but in my case, there is always a flight to catch, getting off the ship, getting to the airport, going through security, etc. Unfortunately, the day must start out early...I always hate for a vacation to end, but when it does, I just want to get home....Then, there is always the "next" one to look forward to.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Beginner

My problem was with the people on our last cruise that choose self debarkation that lived in the port city! We had an early flight and had no choice but overheard a family standing close by discussing getting to the car to get home and realized they lived right there in Seattle! This was our first cruise flying out the same day, on previous cruises we have cleared our room, made our way to the dining room for a nice breakfast then to the upper decks to watch the others leave while we leisurely waited for the last calls of the cruise. I will never understand the rush to get off the ship when its not necessary to catch flights.
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Admiral

nvabill: I am not a morning person and absolutely hate to get up and get off the boat, but since I never have to worry about a return flight, I take my time (everything is packed the night before ) and I sleep in til about 8:00 - 8:30 and make my way up to breakfast and fill up for the long car ride home. I would prefer this over a later sailing. As I thoroughly enjoy being one of the first on the boat and enjoying the pool deck and refreshments and watching the sailing away in the daylight.
I sailed late once due to hurricanes and we sailed away in the dark and it just isn't the same. We meet many people when we are onboard early and it isn't so crowded and by the end of the evening we all remember each other's names. This would be much harder in the dark! with the limited light out on deck to put the faces with the names. .
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I would LOVE to stay on the ship longer and enjoy myself, but alas, we do have to get off. We had a 1pm flight, so we had to be off the ship and in Ft Lauderdale by 1130ish am. I would have liked to stay in Miami for another day or so, but I only had so many vacation days to use, plus I missed my boys (four legged furbabies that meow).

One gal at work went on the New Year sailing on the Inspiration and they booted them off the ship before 9am. They were semi-coherent from the previous nights partying (Dec 31) and were being unceremoniously told to LEAVE.....she had a good time, just wished they had a few extra hours to recover....
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Yeoman

I guess the only solution would be B2B cruises....then you can put off getting off the ship indefinately, or at least until you run out of money.....
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Admiral

that would be tough after New Years EVE - yikes -
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Admiral

I am SO not a morning person, nor is DH. But, I also remember the "good old days" of cruising....no breakfast on Lido, dining room only and late seating was 7 a.m. or something like that. Then, everyone had to be out of cabins and herded into theater or deck to sit and wait and wait until the ship had cleared immigration. It was awful. At least now, you don't have to rise and not-shine quite so early!
Marty
Old July 14th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Captain

Getting off the ship is my one gripe, can't think of anything else about cruising except the "mustard" drill as my sister puts it that we dont like.

The crush in the halls, the waiting in lines, customs hold ups or whatever it is to get out the door...you can see the door finally, but have to wait in the customs line behind Mexicans who everyone in the family had to be finger printed, on and on.

Iv had a few times that were less bad than others.

If I could fly off the ship and skip the mustard drill Id be happier
Old July 15th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Admiral

They have to kick me off the ship... hahaha Heck No.. I Won't GO!

I make sure to stay an extra night after the cruise so I can enjoy every moment.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old July 15th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I would also agree with you, but in my case, there is always a flight to catch, getting off the ship, getting to the airport, going through security, etc. Unfortunately, the day must start out early...I always hate for a vacation to end, but when it does, I just want to get home....Then, there is always the "next" one to look forward to.
I agree, in my case, it's usually a 10 to 14 hour drive. There are some also who do not like to just lie around in bed. I get up around 6:30 every day anyway. Like I keep telling my best friend who sleeps every chance he gets, if one sleeps 8 hours a day, that's a third of his life he doesn't remember. Also, the later cruising is up to the cruise line.

Might add, I'll bet it isn't all because they are filling the ship back up. It's also customs, workers in the terminal, on and on and on who ALL would like to get both processes done from 8am to the earliest possible.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten