Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Passenger

Default So many travel advertisements are they for real?

So many travel advertisements that we see online are they for real? How many times have you clicked on an add and found that oh, there is alot more to this promotion. The first eye in the add is the key, we don't have to have a degree in marketing to understand that. But, so many of them once you look into it, are not really offering the price for this cruise, or package unless you do this, or travel at this time, or stay on this cabin deck, or heck not wearing the right dress, Who knows!
And once your almost done committing to the sale, oh they throw in the taxes, or insurance that up the price $400.
I just can't take travel advertisements for real anymore, it really wasn't $299 for the weekend. What are your thoughts?

Travelin' With Theresa
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Admiral

That's true for most, I would say, but not all.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 14th, 2007, 07:31 PM
First Mate

Your a travel agent, you should know.
Old July 14th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Passenger

Yes Cruise Guy I am a travel agent and I have to admit as a consumer and researching prices online I get the runaround all over the net. Travel agents don't need to advertise like that. Ususally, clients will get a straight answer. I would not know being a travel agent because the price is what it is, the runaround rates that I see online, well, no wonder people search online for months and still haven't booked before they get a quote from an agent.

Travelin With Theresa
Old July 15th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: So many travel advertisements are they for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin With Theresa
I just can't take travel advertisements for real anymore, it really wasn't $299 for the weekend. What are your thoughts?
I'd bet that a lot of those ads, though, state somewhere in very, very small print "plus taxes and fees" or something to that effect.

I guess I don't care much when I read these "too good to be true ads" because as a savvy consumer, I know that I have to do my homework and get the "bottom line" price before I commit to anything. Oftentimes, as you say, once they add on all the extras, the great deal isn't that great a deal anymore.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Passenger

I have friends who are guilty of not reading the small print. They tell me they can get seven-day cruises for $299, because they saw them advertised. They tell me I pay way too much for my cruises.
But I explain to them that most of the time the prices they see do not reflect a lot of fees and taxes, nor insurance.
Once you add in those numbers, or you choose a cabin with a balcony or one with many amenities, your price will rise.

I think it's a lot like car ads. You see a BMW Z-4 advertised at $295 a month, and you think, "Wow, I am going to get one." Then you see it's a lease for a specified amount of time, and with tax, title and other costs, you have to pay about $5,000 at the inception of the lease.
And even then, the price may only pertain to one vehicle on the lot.
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Those low ball ads are just to entice people to their website. Often, the $$ numbers don't pan out for so many reasons.

I would suggest a person finds one or two websites they trust and just check the prices with them. When it comes to cruising, the prices are pretty much the same. I would not choice an online TA just because of free insurance or a coupon book. There are so many categories, a "free upgrade" may be a cabin two doors down -- not enough to pick a web TA to put your vacation in their hands.

To be honest, not to cut out TA's but I advocate booking directly with the cruiseline when and if possible. Cuts out a middleman, the price is usually the same or close and, in case of any snafus, you are dealing directly with the cruiseline.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
To be honest, not to cut out TA's but I advocate booking directly with the cruiseline when and if possible. Cuts out a middleman, the price is usually the same or close and, in case of any snafus, you are dealing directly with the cruiseline.
But if you cut out the TA, you now have no real advocate for you if there is a snafu! A good cruise agent will have the contacts at the cruise line to fix a problem if one were to arise. Booking with the cruise line directly may "cut out the middleman" in the booking, but when the cruise line and you don't see eye to eye on a particular issue, having a good cruise agent that does a lot of businees with that cruise line to make the phone calls and fix the problem is worth "the middleman" in my book.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

We have done this article "Beat the Travel Scammers."

Not ALL of them are scams, but you need to read this article to see which ones. NEVER agree to any travel deal until you have all the travel dates, prices and suppliers in writing.
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Yeoman

Great article. Thanks for the link.
Old July 28th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Passenger

I understand your point of view about cutting out the TA's because the prices are the same. But, this is the reason I used a TA. I live in a small town in Ohio. I thoroughly researched our cruise on everywebsite I could find and always got the same price. So then I called up the TA give him the bottom line price and had him book it. My reasoning is it's the same price, yet my local TA and community member makes some money and if there is any problem I go to him and HE deals with the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Those low ball ads are just to entice people to their website. Often, the $$ numbers don't pan out for so many reasons.

I would suggest a person finds one or two websites they trust and just check the prices with them. When it comes to cruising, the prices are pretty much the same. I would not choice an online TA just because of free insurance or a coupon book. There are so many categories, a "free upgrade" may be a cabin two doors down -- not enough to pick a web TA to put your vacation in their hands.

Old July 29th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

First:

I encourage people to read the Home Page: Cruisemates

Second:

An independent agent is going to do more for you than a PVP or a cruise line agent. Depending on the cruise line you sailing an agent can offer you rebates to their commission, additional "perks", such as; on board credit, free night in an alternative restaurant or the "ever popular" bottle of wine. The most important thing they can do is give you better service. The independent travel agent is working "FOR YOU" and not the cruise line. The truth worth of an agent is found when something goes wrong. Documents are messed up, flights aren't set up correctly, names are not correct, etc. This is when the agent earns their money and proves that you made the right choice. A cruise line employee will always keep the interests of the cruise line ahead of yours.

I'll admit there are some really bad agents out there; I've dealt with them and I've also read some of their "excellent advice", here on the boards. I've also read some very good agent advice here too.

It is harder to find a good TA than it is to just call the cruise line but in the end it can be worth it. I know I've been very happy.

Just something to think about.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me