CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   New Gripe - Production Shows Onboard (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/338901-new-gripe-production-shows-onboard.html)

IBCRUZIN' August 29th, 2007 11:54 AM

New Gripe - Production Shows Onboard

Why do the cruiselines allow the same old production show to run year after year after year? They know many (most?) of their passengers are regulars or at least repeats.

I would think it that it would be nice if the ships rotated the big production shows every 6 months or so and maybe even list it in their cruise description. I mean once the stage props are made, they are made. Couldn't they change it either every 6 months or at least, at least once a year?

Going to see the shows are a big part of my cruise experience and I would love to see a little more variety. There are some shows that I have seen at least 4 times over the last few years on a variety of different ships (same cruiseline).

(P.S. This is only for the big theater stage productions. Not the trios, duos, and lounge acts.)

mehawk August 29th, 2007 01:03 PM

I haven't seen a repeat and I have been on a half dozen cruises.

msblackjack August 29th, 2007 02:45 PM

unfortunately most of the shows, including the comedians have been a repeat. I understand the reasoning: the shows are costly to set up; production issues such as costumes, copyright permissions, training, etc; however, it would be nice if they could rotate them from ship to ship.

but if I could take different cruises it probably wouldn't matter so much, so a small issue for me except as it pertains to comedians - now the comedians should be easier to interchange; however, they need to get some fresh material and/or better comedians!

Mike M August 29th, 2007 03:59 PM

Production shows, from inception to completion are multi-million dollar productions. They also have high ongoing costs to run, this is why they do not have a high turn over rate.

I'm not a huge production show fan. I have seen a few repeats "Bond Voyage" was on Mercury and Millennium. I may see some of them but in the end it usually isn't my cup of tea. My wife enjoys them and will elbow me in the ribs when I fall asleep. LOL I prefer a comedian, or individual performer.

However, they are a big draw for the cruise lines and they keep investing in them and they are constant favorites by the guests.

One last point: "Most" cruisers don't cruise, often enough, to have the opportunity to see the same show again.

Take care,
Mike

nlb1050 August 29th, 2007 07:37 PM

Having only been on 4 cruises we have yet to experience repeats. So for us it is always. Plus we don't gamble so the shows do give us something to do at night.

kryos August 30th, 2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlb1050
Having only been on 4 cruises we have yet to experience repeats. So for us it is always. Plus we don't gamble so the shows do give us something to do at night.

There will often be repeats, but only those who cruise a lot will notice them. Cruise lines spent millions on putting together a new production show. They have to run it for several years in order to amortize those costs. Since most people don't cruise that often, most people won't ever realize that the show they are watching has been playing in the fleet for the past two years. For them it will be a brand new show.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Nothin but blue skies August 30th, 2007 03:56 PM

There are definately repeats particularly if you sail on the same ship often. Since we are somewhat limited on where we can sail from here in Mobile (without a long drive or a flight), we have cruised several times on the Holiday. When we sailed the Celebration from Jacksonville (May 07) and the Holiday August (07) they were performing the same show. I now find that the Holiday is STILL doing the same show, so we will skip it in October.

On the other hand, I found that the Fantasy is currently doing the Beatles show and we are booked on her for April. Due to illness, we missed this particular show on the Freedom and everyone raved about it. So I am glad to get another chance to experience it.

Phil&Liz August 30th, 2007 06:47 PM

Its a a bit strange to find it a problem that something is seen over and over again when one sails the same ship over and over.

Thats like saying the next time I sail this ship I hope they change the wallpaper or the carpet or the color of the funnel.

Its the same ship! Yes, its going to be the same show! At least for ahile anyway.

You want change....change ships !!

Phil & Liz

IBCRUZIN' September 4th, 2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil&Liz
Its a a bit strange to find it a problem that something is seen over and over again when one sails the same ship over and over.

Thats like saying the next time I sail this ship I hope they change the wallpaper or the carpet or the color of the funnel.

Its the same ship! Yes, its going to be the same show! At least for ahile anyway.

You want change....change ships !!

Phil & Liz

The only ship I have ever repeated was the Carnival Fascination. Yet I have seen the "tribute to bway" at least 4 times. (The first time I saw it was in 1999, last time was in 2006 - some of the tributes have been changed since '99 but same show.) I have also seen the same cuban-american comedian at least three times. his material never changes.

I live in NYC and enjoy live performances so I do tend to go to the shows. When I find out it is a repeat for me, I may or may not stay, depending.

nurseypoo5 September 19th, 2007 06:06 AM

we tried to go to 2 shows and left in the middle (yup sure did...)

they were so campy and just really...bad. those vegas style wanna be dancers and the over acting singers.....some were just bad.

I wish i had seen more comedy and all of the finale (were the people cruising perform) those looked way more fun.

I couldnt sit thru the same comedy act, even if it were jeff foxworthy!

Chris64 September 19th, 2007 08:51 AM

The Mrs. and I go to as many shows as we can. No they are not up to Vegas or Broadway standards, but in most cases are just fine. Like any other part of a cruise it's what you make of it. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed. Just remember, in most cases these are just kids trying to possibly work their way up to bigger and better things. Some will, some won't.

But if you think you way may apt to walking out, pick a seat in the back.

ready2board September 19th, 2007 01:52 PM

I thought the production shows were pretty good and entertaining. They aren't Broadway quality but are probably about what you would see at a large university out of their drama dept. My guess is that the longer the cruise the better the show, but I could be wrong.

earl September 19th, 2007 05:57 PM

i CRUISE ABOUT TWICE A YEAR AND I HAVE NEVER THE SAME SHOW
T, if you go on the same ship in a short period of time . chances are it will be the same show.