Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Deck Names: Deck Numbers: One or the Other

This is petty but I get tired of constantly having deck names and numbers interchanged.

Your cabin has a number that "usually" corresponds to a deck number but that deck number also has a name such as: Promenade Deck, Bridge Deck, Main Deck, Sky Deck. etc.

They make announcements that trivia will be in the Paradise Lounge on Deck 4 or Wine Tasting will be in the Rendezvous Lounge on Main Deck.

Come On: One or the other! Standardize folks!

This just doesn't happen on one ship or one line. They mix them up on all lines. At least on new builds they put the deck names next to the numbers on the elevators.

You need a program or a deck plan just to keep up.

OK: I got that trivial gripe off my chest.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Deck Names: Deck Numbers: One or the Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
This is petty but I get tired of constantly having deck names and numbers interchanged.

Your cabin has a number that "usually" corresponds to a deck number but that deck number also has a name such as: Promenade Deck, Bridge Deck, Main Deck, Sky Deck. etc.

They make announcements that trivia will be in the Paradise Lounge on Deck 4 or Wine Tasting will be in the Rendezvous Lounge on Main Deck.

This just doesn't happen on one ship or one line. They mix them up on all lines. At least on new builds they put the deck names next to the numbers on the elevators.

You need a program or a deck plan just to keep up.

Take care,
Mike
Mike I don't think they will ever drop the names of decks as they add to the seagoing ambiance of a cruise.

However I do wish they would retrofit the older ships with elevators displaying the name and number of each deck though. 8)
Old August 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Admiral

I agree Mike! On my recent cruise on RCI this was also confusing to me. Decks 1-10 seems alot easier to figure out then remembering names that have no bearing or description of what the floor is like the "sky deck" well, there is 3 decks I can see the sky from. It's like the way they name colors. This is similiarly annoying to me. Ask my wife what color dress she bought and she says "fuschia" Now how do I know what color that is for god's sake or Taupe? Have no idea!
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Passenger

Quote:

Take care,
Mike
Ok Mike I agree with you. On the petty scale its a solid 8 out of 10 ...!

It's a cruise. Live to enjoy! Better yet, I say mix it up! Enough standradization. I get enough of that at work and sometimes at home as well. Let go and embrace the chaos of strange deck names and interchanged numbers. For a few days, however long your cruise may last, live on the wild side!
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I don't know what the solution is. If cabins were on their own decks, I would say use numbers for decks with accommodations and only names for public decks ... like the Lido and Promenade Deck.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It would be a lot easier for me if they just used the floor number.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 1st, 2007, 03:09 PM
First Mate

FLOOR????? wait a minute; we're talking about ships here. there are no floors, only decks. speaking about 'floors' is like calling the rotterdam a 'boat.' i thought this was a cruise board.
Old September 1st, 2007, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

OOPS Hombre,
You are absolutely right, what were we thinking :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 5th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

See, that's the ironic thing...I know it's a ship but I'm always running around saying "I love this boat!!!!"
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombre
FLOOR????? wait a minute; we're talking about ships here. there are no floors, only decks. speaking about 'floors' is like calling the rotterdam a 'boat.' i thought this was a cruise board.
Been down a thread on 'boats' before.
A ship IS a boat.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Admiral

What is the Difference Between a Ship and a Boat?

XClose this window
The distinction between a ship and a boat varies depending on regional definitions, but as a general rule, a boat can fit onto a ship, but a ship cannot fit onto a boat. A ship, in other words, is a very large ocean-going vessel, while a boat tends to be much smaller. Additionally, a ship usually is defined as having a displacement larger than 500 tons. During the age of sailing, a craft with three or more rigged masts was considered to be a ship, but this definition has been superseded, as different methods of power generation are used on modern ships.

Watercraft that we typically associate with the category of “ship? include cruise ships, container ships, aircraft carriers, destroyers, tall ships, and frigates. All of these ships are extremely large, and designed to endure potentially long ocean voyages. Traditionally, they required a very large crew of skilled sailors to manage them, although some ships, especially container ships, are growing increasingly easier to run with only a small crew. This is thanks to the development of sophisticated computer systems and improved mechanization, among other things. These ships are also capable of carrying a large volume of cargo, people, or a combination of both.

Submarines are technically classified as boats, because early submarines could be hoisted on board a ship. Several specially outfitted submarine rescue ships are also capable of lifting and towing distressed modern submarines, although they cannot lift them on board. More typical examples of boats include powerboats, rowboats, canoes, kayaks, umiaks, catamarans, and tugboats. Boats tend to be easier to maneuver than ships, but they are not capable of carrying nearly as much cargo. Boats are also not equipped for long voyage, and some boats will not fare well on the open ocean.

A ship requires a crew of people to run smoothly, while a boat can often be handled by one person alone. The system of authority on board a ship is also very clear-cut, with crew members organized into ranks. When a boat is large enough to have a crew, the members of the crew often work together under the captain in a much more casual fashion. Ships also usually carry boats on board, in the form of life rafts and rescue boats. These boats are also sometimes used to ferry people and supplies between the ship and the shore, since very large ships cannot fit into some harbors, due to their draft or inability to fit under a bridge.

And I vote for numbered decks!
Old September 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedad
What is the Difference Between a Ship and a Boat?

XClose this window
The distinction between a ship and a boat varies depending on regional definitions, but as a general rule, a boat can fit onto a ship, but a ship cannot fit onto a boat. A ship, in other words, is a very large ocean-going vessel, while a boat tends to be much smaller. Additionally, a ship usually is defined as having a displacement larger than 500 tons. During the age of sailing, a craft with three or more rigged masts was considered to be a ship, but this definition has been superseded, as different methods of power generation are used on modern ships.

Watercraft that we typically associate with the category of “ship? include cruise ships, container ships, aircraft carriers, destroyers, tall ships, and frigates. All of these ships are extremely large, and designed to endure potentially long ocean voyages. Traditionally, they required a very large crew of skilled sailors to manage them, although some ships, especially container ships, are growing increasingly easier to run with only a small crew. This is thanks to the development of sophisticated computer systems and improved mechanization, among other things. These ships are also capable of carrying a large volume of cargo, people, or a combination of both.

Submarines are technically classified as boats, because early submarines could be hoisted on board a ship. Several specially outfitted submarine rescue ships are also capable of lifting and towing distressed modern submarines, although they cannot lift them on board. More typical examples of boats include powerboats, rowboats, canoes, kayaks, umiaks, catamarans, and tugboats. Boats tend to be easier to maneuver than ships, but they are not capable of carrying nearly as much cargo. Boats are also not equipped for long voyage, and some boats will not fare well on the open ocean.

A ship requires a crew of people to run smoothly, while a boat can often be handled by one person alone. The system of authority on board a ship is also very clear-cut, with crew members organized into ranks. When a boat is large enough to have a crew, the members of the crew often work together under the captain in a much more casual fashion. Ships also usually carry boats on board, in the form of life rafts and rescue boats. These boats are also sometimes used to ferry people and supplies between the ship and the shore, since very large ships cannot fit into some harbors, due to their draft or inability to fit under a bridge.

And I vote for numbered decks!
OMG!!! Wasn't this a topic on this board a few months ago? , not sure if it ever was settled.....
rescuedad, I love your posts, you really crack me up sometimes (especially about your BIL on your cruise ).
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Admiral

OOOOOHHHHHHHH I have a fan!!! I am humbled. Feel free to join us on the HIH thread.
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Bravo! Someone who knows the difference!!!

That's like calling a Hatteras SPF a ship!

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:45 PM
First Mate

heaven's sakes! please accept my mea culpa. i only wanted to make a simple comment about the deck name/number issue. i'll admit it can be confusing, but on HAL ships the elevator voice always says something like 'deck two, dolphin deck.' that shouldn't be so confusing at all. again, sorry for the boat/ship example.
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I vote for named decks. It is tradition. Although with new "ships" and many more decks, it can get confusing. My favorite deck of all is the "Pool Deck"

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10