Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Passenger

Default fountain vs can soda

does any one know why on RC they only do the fountain coke for the soda card. I prefer diet coke in cans. When we traveled on Carnival they did the can coke, would get my cup filled, drink some, and get the rest of the can. Sometimes I got the whole can. Depended on the bar.

Also with soda card on carnival, not always a happy smile when I flashed my soda card, sorry, the person I bought the card from got the tip????

My question or gripe is, how can I get can soda on RC with the soda card. If not, I will just wheel on a case with my carry on when we board the ship. Rightnow its $2.01 a can with tip.
Old September 7th, 2007, 03:24 PM
WhoisDavid

I can’t give you an answer Linda, as coke gives me wind and interrupts my beer drinking…. Oh I just wish they offered a beer card, now that would be very popular

Mmmm, there might be mileage in that thought

But please do not advocate the smuggling of "contraband coke" onto ship as you are denying these lovely people a profit margin

Any coke addicts out there that can help Linda?
Old September 7th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Passenger

thanks David, maybe someone will have the answer. As I understand on RCI you can take on water and soft drinks , just no alcohol. I like a can in my room at night, but we also do our share of drinking adult beverages. But I am a coke (diet variety) addict!!!!
Old September 8th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Captain

I'm almost sure that fountain sodas (or "pop" as they call it here in the midwest) are cheaper for them to serve than canned ones. That's why most restaurants serve fountain drinks and generally don't mind refilling them for free.

We cruised RCI last week and they had canned sodas and bottled water in the rooms. The idea was that you were charged for them as you drank them and interestingly the water was listed as costing more than the cokes. We drank a couple cokes and several waters throughout the cruise but were never charged for them on our final bill. If you take the time to get to know your cabin steward a little and tip him well, I doubt you'll be chaged either. I think the coke was just regular coke but I'm sure you're cabin steward can make some diet appear if you ask them.

I think the soda cards being worth it depends alot on the length of your cruise. I'm not sure that they are worth it on a shorter cruise unless you just drink coke like it's going out of style. I like coke at home but I found the free lemonade onboard to be tastier and more refreshing than coke anyway so I drank very few onboard. Also, remember you have to carry that free coke mug around with you everywhere if you do the coke card thing. I think that would get old but alot of people were doing it so to each his own. Lastly, I don't think they would be too happy about trying to bring a case onboard if you were serious when you mentioned that. Have a good cruise!
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Passenger

Maybe I'll just take a 12 pack of diet coke and a 12 pack of water so it doesn;t look like I am taking too much carry on. And see if I can tip the steward well on the first day to take care of us. I want a terry robe, as on carnival we got one in balcony rooms. Our TA said we would get the same on RCI for our deluxe balcony, but then had to back track and say that RCI only offers them in suites. It was a disappointment but not a deal breaker, but she did suggest tipping the steward a twenty and asking for a robe and that I would probably get one.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Familiar Face

I like the Beer Card idea

emmutt
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: fountain vs can soda

Quote:
Originally Posted by linll
does any one know why on RC they only do the fountain coke for the soda card.
It's all about cost. It is MUCH cheaper to provide fountain soda than it is to provide canned soda.