Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to visusie
Default Seating Arrangements at Dining

Okay, I thought I'd liven up the place with a gripe. It's not a real biggie, but one that I would like to hear your feedback on. I DO enjoy meeting fellow cruisers on board the ship at dinner. We've met some really wonderful people aboard and had fab times at ports, shows and meal-times. Once in a while though, it IS NICE to go to dinner with just your beloved or family members or whomever you traveled with.

Why is this such a big deal? Can't we just ONCE in a WHILE have a quiet dinner with our SO? I usually travel Carnival which does not offer the reserve & pay extra meals which I'm GUESSING they allow you to sit 2 at a table?

~*~*~Susie~*~*~ ***Cruising in a little over 2 weeks!*** :O)
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Administrator
Admiral

On the Destiny they do break down the Lido buffet into an alternative dining area for dinner. You can take advantage of that for a dinner with your family.

Also on the newer Carnival ships they have the alternative dining venues. I really enjoyed the Golden Fleece on the Carnival Legend.

I do agree that the it is a somewhat of a drag that you have to pay $30 per person to have a dinner for two or eat in your room.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 14th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Davidsays

Good point poster, but we are dealing with a market that is bulk, so tables are bulk. It’s easier for the waiters and staff. The number of dining room tables available for just "two" are becoming like hens teeth.

They encourage the "group" participation for dining and to be honest, it works for me.

But to be even more honest, you cannot have a dining room that can be "rebuilt" to suit each passenger’s whims for that night. So they offer the alternative dining at a surcharge.

Question: so you are running the restaurant and 300 people call the "once in a while" card. You can’t deal with it, its impossible, so you offer options for those that want it on that night
Old September 15th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to visusie

I don't believe the Destiny offers the alternative dining where you can pay $10 or $20 or whatever extra, for an upgraded dining experience. It's not that I don't enjoy other company onboard. It's just sometimes nice to have a quiet dinner alone with the spouse. Good point though, I can understand how it would make it impossible for the wait staff. Oh well, we've met some really wonderful people onboard so it's just as well.
Old September 15th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Passenger

We usually sail Princess or RCL - and always ask for a table for two. Its usually a bit of a hassle the first night, but then we are fine. Breakfast is tough - we always say "table for 2, alone",and invariably they take us to a table of 8 or 10.

We have met some nice people on board over the years, but frankly, just prefer to be alone and not have to make small/polite chat at dinner with people we don't know.
Old September 15th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Go see the Maitre d' on the day you board...I think he's available in the dining room around 1:30 p.m., ask him what size table you have been assigned and if it is at a large table and you prefer a table for two, ask him for a re-assignment. They don't have many tables for two, so I would suggest going to see him as soon as he is available.

I agree with Josie, we prefer sitting at a table in the formal dining room with only our family members. We have met wonderful people at the other venues on the ship and have had a great time with them, BUT, much prefer the company of our friends and relatives at dinner.

We have been seated at large tables with families that don't speak English, some that were always late for dinner and the waiter wanted to wait until everyone was present at the table, rude, loud people, and drunkards. We now always request a table size to suit our group size.
Old September 16th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Captain

If you want a table for 2 for some reason, you might want to talk to the Maitre d' about not only the request but where the table will be. I noticed on our recent cruise that these tables tend to be in the back alot of times pushed up against a wall a bit. At least one person at most of the tables for 2 didn't seem to have a very good view or no view at all of anything except the wall.
Old September 19th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Captain

see this is one of my biggest fears. we got lucky this trip since we were on a group with other "mates" and i loved them all, but as a couple sitting with stranger, my fear is were get loud abrasive annoying cursing people or (no offense) be at a table with very unruley kids.

i mean if you HATE your table mates (ok hates a strong word but you know what i mean...) do you have to skip dinner (which is my fave thing) or can you ask to be switched?
Old September 19th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
see this is one of my biggest fears. we got lucky this trip since we were on a group with other "mates" and i loved them all, but as a couple sitting with stranger, my fear is were get loud abrasive annoying cursing people or (no offense) be at a table with very unruley kids.

i mean if you HATE your table mates (ok hates a strong word but you know what i mean...) do you have to skip dinner (which is my fave thing) or can you ask to be switched?
Yes, just see the maitre'd and explain.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Seating Arrangements at Dining

Quote:
Originally Posted by visusie
Okay, I thought I'd liven up the place with a gripe. It's not a real biggie, but one that I would like to hear your feedback on. I DO enjoy meeting fellow cruisers on board the ship at dinner. We've met some really wonderful people aboard and had fab times at ports, shows and meal-times. Once in a while though, it IS NICE to go to dinner with just your beloved or family members or whomever you traveled with.

Why is this such a big deal? Can't we just ONCE in a WHILE have a quiet dinner with our SO? I usually travel Carnival which does not offer the reserve & pay extra meals which I'm GUESSING they allow you to sit 2 at a table?

I know the Carnival spirit class ships do have 2 seater tables. You just have to request that.
Old November 4th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Admiral

We like to eat with different peope at dinner. Sometimes a table for four, six, eight, or ten. Occassionally, we will eat at a table for two; but very rarely. To me, part of the joy of cruising are the friendships that we have made. I can't imagine letting the cruiseline dictate who my future friends might be; I like to choose my own dinner companions.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old November 9th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Marc.... I so agree, but its not always my choice, I deal with those presented to me and will talk for more than one day or night to gauge them as people on ship

My memories of dining are of the people that I met, talked to and had an experience with. If they are total nutters I would also ask the M'D to move me or them, if not I would just get on with it and enjoy it.

First night, you may think, who are these people?, but actually in reflection we dined and talked together, and about whatever!

Second night, you have a thought or grasp on these people so you will now direct your conversation towards it, thats what makes your experience and builds the cruise memories.

Put it this way, been on a ship/ cruise that held 3,000 people, never met most of them, and if it was buffet, no chance of doing do, but out of 3K I met 4 , 6 or 10 eople I dined with at night...I will remember them for good reasons

But if some on the ship want a table for two, and find themselves sitting together and looking around the dining room when they get bored with each others chit chat, but seeing others having fun, and chatting and meeting each other in a one off experience.mmmmm, thats what it is all about.

Some people they do not understand that.... that's inexperience or a lack of social inability in some people and what crusing is or can be.

I say its their inability to deal with other people, and suddenly being on a cruise does not give you that. You have to take that ability onboard. I am willing to meet strangers, talk and debate and do it again if required

My advice, go meet, and talk to other people that before you went on a ship you never thought you would meet, thats what makes your cruise.... experience and memories, the input of others. Not isolation on a table for two and dont expect all on this ship to act or think like you
Old November 10th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Admiral

While we enjoy meeting new people who become our cruise friends from dining together, I can also relate to those who want to dine by themselves. One couple we met said that both their jobs required a great deal of travel and long hours and they had wanted to just have a week of leisurely dining together. We told them to pretend we weren't even there. Worked up to a point. So, I can't agree with the generalization of it being a lack of social skills. We never really know what other people's reasons are...for anything.
Marty
Old November 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Admiral

There are always good reasons for not letting your guard down when you firstr meet strangers on a ship, but give them a chance.. as they are more than likely thinking just like you when you are first forced together or first meet...so just talk

Then you can gauge how you want to act or react to these people. What worries me is some people are not able or willing to take that gamble of who is presented to them or in front of them in ship “social situations?, and they then deal with it in..... we will do our own thing,,,,how sad is that to be so wrapped up in your own “thing? that others are but numbers on ship or a potential distraction towards that “thing?.

TOOO many people are now becoming insular, so lets have a table for two, and do our own thing and amongst all these other thousands of passengers or should I say people..Get the security blanket wrapped around us, dont see, dont hear, dont talk. Mmmmm that was never cruising to me.

Experience of visiting ports is one thing, but experiencing and dining with others that I would not normally meet in day to day life, that’s the big one for me

Old fashioned maybe, but to me that’s cruising
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Admiral

After reading that post, I will feel so sorry for couples at a two person table . I never realized how sad, troubled and unhappy people at 2 person tables were. If we have extra seats at our table, I am going to invite them to join us!
Old November 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Rick,
We actually did that on one cruise. Big table for 8 behind us had one lonely couple seated there. We didn't know if the rest of the table had bailed out on them or what the deal was, but figured it wouldn't hurt to find out. So, we asked them if they wanted to join our table. They did and they were delightful. Just the luck of the draw. I know you were somewhat joking, but this one time, it turned out to be true.
One of my favorite memories is when we were assigned to a table for 4. We were a couple of minutes late the first night. The other couple were from Great Britain and polite, but seemed very stiff and uncomfortable. They had already ordered, so the waiter came over immediately. DH had already checked out the menu, so he asked that the waiter to start with 6 shrimp cocktails. The waiter said "Six shrimp?" Dh replied "no, 6 orders". He loves shrimp. The British gent looked at my DH and said "Can you do that?'. Hubby replied he just had, so the British couple ordered another 5 each! We had a table covered in shrimp, all of which got eaten and we ended up with some great friends. All those shrimp looked silly and got us all giggling. Did tours and explored ports together. Still communicate at times.
Marty
Old November 11th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Rick,
We actually did that on one cruise. Big table for 8 behind us had one lonely couple seated there. We didn't know if the rest of the table had bailed out on them or what the deal was, but figured it wouldn't hurt to find out. So, we asked them if they wanted to join our table. They did and they were delightful. Just the luck of the draw. I know you were somewhat joking, but this one time, it turned out to be true.
One of my favorite memories is when we were assigned to a table for 4. We were a couple of minutes late the first night. The other couple were from Great Britain and polite, but seemed very stiff and uncomfortable. They had already ordered, so the waiter came over immediately. DH had already checked out the menu, so he asked that the waiter to start with 6 shrimp cocktails. The waiter said "Six shrimp?" Dh replied "no, 6 orders". He loves shrimp. The British gent looked at my DH and said "Can you do that?'. Hubby replied he just had, so the British couple ordered another 5 each! We had a table covered in shrimp, all of which got eaten and we ended up with some great friends. All those shrimp looked silly and got us all giggling. Did tours and explored ports together. Still communicate at times.
Marty
Hi Marty,

That was a wonderful thing to do! Under those circumstances, I would hope all would be as thoughtful as you. I am sure your kindness made their cruise much nicer. Way to go!

I am also glad that you and the Brits hit it off and became friends. My beautiful Deb is English. We always meet Brits on our cruises and I have always enjoyed their company even if they do talk funny .

We know exactly what you mean about the shrimp cocktail Deb always orders 2 of them. We sail Celebrity and Deb will order it every night even though not on the menu every night. Does not take long for the un-knowing tablemates to realize they can get it even though not on the menu.

Take care,
Rick and Deb
Old November 11th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Seating Arrangements at Dining

Quote:
Originally Posted by visusie

Book Princess, it is a nice line, it is lots fo fun and you can go personal choice dinning. Also if you really prefer Carnival, read the menus posted every day, on the nights it is not really anything you want special, eat at the lido, we have done that.

also you can book the super club one night and we also have ordered room service and was very happy with that.