Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Passenger

Default Anti-Carnival

I've been to two sites where people who cruise the other cruise lines always degrade Carnival like it's a step-child of some sort. Why is this? The reason we choose Carnival is because they dock at Mobile, New Orleans and Galveston (driving distance for us). I don't think we will ever do any other line unless they go to those ports because we wont fly anywhere.

Just wondering why people snub up their noses at Carnival cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Admiral

People get accustomed to using one line of many things and snub all others who dare to tread. For instance, how many Ford car owners swear by their Ford and scoff at Chevrolet or Dodge or even foreign vehicles. Others who like country music and think rock is the coming of the enemy himself. Some who think the Democrats are the correct party to govern and the Republicans aren't... or vice versa.

That is why some people snub Carnival. I, on the other hand, cruise Carnival by choice.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Admiral

Carnival, fairly or unfairly, from its past incarnation as "the fun ships" have the reputation of being a fleet of 24/7 drunken party boats. My wife had been on one Carnival cruise in 2000, just before we met and got married and would never consider another Carnival Cruise. Unfortunately she went during spring break on a short 3 day cruise. She said the partying was out of control and kids were vomiting on the stairs, then going back to drinking even more. Granted, her experience is probably not typical, but people who have similar experiences contribute to Carnival's bad reputation, deserved or undeserved.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Its sounds odd, but to us experienced cruisers, we often forget that Carnnival (and Royal caribbean) do so many of the 3 & 4-day cruises. These types of cruises ARE more like parties than any 7-day cruise you will ever do. I have only been on one, but it was the wildest cruise I have ever been on.

Take Carnival on any quality 7-day or longer cruise and I think you will find a cruise line that is as professional and dignified as any, those 3-day party types rarely migrate up to the 7-day cruise.

I have no problems recommending a 7-day Carnival cruise to anyone. On the other hand, I would not "recommend" without qualification a 3-4 day cruise on any cruise line. Meaning I would explain that these short cruises do tend have a lot more "partying.".
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Captain

Mehawk summed it up well in my opinion.

Having been on both, granted a few years apart, I found RCI a cut above. I always wondered why so many friends and travel agents always said to go Royal Carribean...Now, for me at least, I know why!

You will have many who will tell you the exact opposite and those that really just like to cruise and don't get real hung up on which line. My barber is getting ready to go on a cruise. When I asked him which line, he made a quick call to his wife to find out....Some simply don't care and thats' no big deal either.

For me, I hope both Carnival and RCI keep going strong and both continue to have their loyal followings. I hope they both keep trying to outdo each other although I secretly get a chuckle everytime Carnival announces their newest, biggest monster ship in the works, RCI comes out a few days later with plans for a bigger one The competition is what keeps the service excellent and the prices affordable. I don't really want to see either of them corner the market.
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Its sounds odd, but to us experienced cruisers, we often forget that Carnnival (and Royal caribbean) do so many of the 3 & 4-day cruises. These types of cruises ARE more like parties than any 7-day cruise you will ever do. I have only been on one, but it was the wildest cruise I have ever been on.

Take Carnival on any quality 7-day or longer cruise and I think you will find a cruise line that is as professional and dignified as any, those 3-day party types rarely migrate up to the 7-day cruise.

I have no problems recommending a 7-day Carnival cruise to anyone. On the other hand, I would not "recommend" without qualification a 3-4 day cruise on any cruise line. Meaning I would explain that these short cruises do tend have a lot more "partying.".
Actually I have been on a 5 day RCI and a 4 day Celebrity and did not experience an out-of control party atmosphere my wife described on Carnival. You are probably correct about the 7 days or more on Carnival being more sedate, but Mrs Roberts will never be convinced based on her one experience.

Old September 18th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Doug it's was "Spring Break" that caused the problem for your wife. I have been on three 4-day cruises on Carnival and have a great time on each one. I didn't experience what you descipted in the early post. The cruise line I will never go on again is Celebrity. The ship was boring and the food was awful. I had heard so many great things about Celebrity then I got on board and it was nothing like that. The food on Celebrity was much worse then on Carnival. The service wasn't that great either. However, Alaska was wonderful.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Admiral

I have sailed on 3 day cruises on Carnival and Royal Caribbean and found them to be very similar...total party atmosphere, younger crowd, and people just cruising to find out if they would like a longer cruise or not. A 3 day cruise is really not indicative of a longer cruise. Of course, if you cruise during spring break, school holidays and summer months, your cruise experience will be totally different than if you cruised when school is in session.

Our family tried different cruise lines and itineraries and now sail exclusively on Carnival. Overall, a Carnival cruise satisfies all the different requirements of our diversified group much better than the other cruise lines we have sailed on.
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I didn't want to go into detail, but the formula is pretty predictable...

Both Carnival and RC have 3 and 4-day cruises, and they are both the most "budget" oriented in that category, so they both have party-like atmospheres. The 3-day cruises are more raucus than the 4-day cruises, because they are cheaper and usually on weekends, which means they are populated by the kind of people who don't have the kinds of jobs were they can take a lot of time off work; generally younger, work-a-day people who are more inclined to "party".

The four-day cruises are for people who can take a vacation or people who just want to get away. Less partying. more quiet time.

I purposely only included 3-4 day cruises because I know Celebrity Century does a 5-day cruise, and it is pretty quiet.

Norwegian Pearl does a 5-day, and I'm guessing it is not so sedate because that is a beautiful new ship with lots of onboard activities (like bowling). They alternate their 5-day with a great nine-day cruise from Miami to Barbados, Friday night to Sunday morning, so you only take one week off but you get to the deep Caribbean - one of my favorite itineraries.
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Admiral

I also had a horrid experience on Carnival years ago. It was a 3 day singles cruise....probably the worst possible formula, but I was single and it was cheap (the cruise, not me ). But, the food was awful, party hardy out of control, ship wasn't clean...you name it. I would not go on Carnival for many years. Finally did and now I'm a BIG Carnival fan.
Love the pricing, and get what I'm looking for in a cruise. I still love HAL and RCCL, haven't done NCL since they went free style, never a fan of Princess or Celebrity. But, most of the time I just book Carnival.
Marty
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Admiral

I am a Carnival devotee. I have been on RCCL and NCL America. Carnival offers me more bang for my buck which is important and also offers me a friendlier atmosphere which is most important because I cruise solo.

Whenever someone on these boards asks about cruising for the under 30 set, I always steer them towards a 3 or 4 day Carnival. For the same reason why other people avoid them. They are very much a party atmosphere. I have never experienced a "drunken" party atmosphere but definitely a younger, "still going to the dance club on Saturday night" type crowd. I have always enjoyed it and often sit at the bar in the dance club and watcher the younger set with the sweet smile of rememberances on my lips.

As for why people turn their nose up to Carnival. . . . IMHO Carnival does it all best. They not psuedo-sophisticated, nor do they have a rock wall for you to climb. They don't offer cool towels after a day at the beach or free wine at dinner. However, they allow the middle class members of this country (the bread and butter of the USA) to take a wonderful vacation and they keep the price down low enough so that Mommy, Daddy, all three kids and grandma can afford to go and have a good time. That alone is worth being the loyalty that their customers show them.

Anyone can save up for a few years and take one of the Cunard ships one time in their life. Only on Carnival can the entire family afford go every year or at least every other year.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Captain

Maybe I'm just looking at the companies web pages at the wrong times or don't know how to shop for a cruise very well, but I did quite a bit of comparing before my last cruise and I just don't see the Carnival prices being that dramatically much lower. I found them to be lower at times, the same at times and a bit higher at times for some sailings. God love them if they do keep it that much lower, I just haven't seen it.
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Captain

Never cruised Carnival, so no specific comment on it. But I think the underlying problem is the idea some have that all cruise lines are basically the same. Far from so, the selection of lines from which we have to chose is as different as night and day -- both in what they offer and what they charge for it. Party cruises? If Carnival has them, 30 or 40 years ago I'd have jumped on one of those like a duck on a june bug! Now, the cruises I take are called "boring" by some people.

Though I am convinced that Carnival is not "my cup of tea" at this time in my life, this line has earned the repeat business of many. They are offering what many people want, even though it may not be what I want. Travel is a risky business. Before I take a cruise line new to me, or go to a land resort I've never visited, I do a whole bunch of research. There are plenty of sources on line, and this is one of them. Once when I failed to do this research, I was sorry. But every time I've done it, my expectations were fairly well met.

In other words, check it out before you book.
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
Maybe I'm just looking at the companies web pages at the wrong times or don't know how to shop for a cruise very well, but I did quite a bit of comparing before my last cruise and I just don't see the Carnival prices being that dramatically much lower. I found them to be lower at times, the same at times and a bit higher at times for some sailings. God love them if they do keep it that much lower, I just haven't seen it.
You know Ready, you are right. I am a solo cruiser and book the lowest category guaranteed. For that Carnival wins hands down. I have tried and tried to play online booking other cruiselines but when doing 1 in a cabin, none of them come anywhere near Carnival. I am a new demographic that the other cruiselines have not embraced as valuable so they penalize us solos to make up for the preceived loss in revenue.

However, if you are doing the traditional two or more in a cabin, then the price difference is decidedly less and you have to weigh the bells, the whistles, the activities, the itineriaries, etc. as well as the price.

For me the newer RCCL ships have too many bells and whistles. Too much of what they have I don't do (rock climb, ice skate, basketball, virtual golf, and the list goes on) for me to spend the extra $$ to cruise although I think their touchy feely service is better than Carnival.

There are itineraries on Princess and HAL that I would love to do but the prices are prohibitive for me and I don't want to spend that much money on a cruise and find the ship's too quiet and sedate for my taste. I spent more money on my NCL America cruise ($1,800) than I did on any Carnival cruise. However, while I enjoyed it, my NCL cruise would probably be considered my least favor cruise vacation.

It is all in what you want. However, don't let what you hear about Carnival deter you if Carnival looks to offer what you want. If anything, take a 4 or 5 day cruise to test it out. It may not be for you or it may be just what the doctor ordered. Either way

Happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I put little weight in anyone who bashes or writes negatively about a cruise line if they have never sailed it.

If they have and it wasn't to their liking I listen to what they have to say and take it into consideration. There is nothing wrong with someone not enjoying something. Everyone has personal preferences and enjoys things that others don't.

I don't take it as an insult that some people don't like Celebrity or NCL and I do. One of the best parts of cruising is that there are so many choices.

I personally have sailed Carnival and I am currently booked on a Carnival cruise and I know I will sail again on Carnival. I think their dining room and buffet food is up to par and, in many cases, superior with all other mainstream cruise lines. Their cabins are some of the largest in the industry and I have no problem with their service. I am not a fan of their decor or the, nightly, singing waiter show.

There is no problem in anyone having an opinion. I have no problem in anyone having a negative opinion about Celebrity or NCL (two lines I enjoy) because each person has their own likes and dislikes. Just because I like something different isn't a personal insult to me.

The last point is that Carnival is the largest cruise line and when you are the biggest cruise line you are also the biggest target.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Admiral

If you will note, there are near 180,000 posts on the Carnie forums and the nearest one to that is RCCL with near 80,000, which Carnival owns by the way. Seems to speak for itself. So a few who don't like Carnival, who cares ? They are probably on a line that Carnival owns anyway.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old September 19th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
If you will note, there are near 180,000 posts on the Carnie forums and the nearest one to that is RCCL with near 80,000, which Carnival owns by the way. Seems to speak for itself. So a few who don't like Carnival, who cares ? They are probably on a line that Carnival owns anyway.
Unless there was a big merger last night that has gone unreported on the news, RCCL is most certainly not owned by Carnival. As of yesterday:

RCL (ROYAL CARIBBEAN CR)
38.00 +1.49 (4.08%)

Carnival Corporation CCL (NYSE)
$46.70 +2.32 (5.23%)

Old September 19th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

As Mehawk kind of stated earlier, for some unknown reason people tend to get very (in some cases overly) loyal to a product they use. We see it all the time, here in the forums and in our everyday lives. Then, in some cases they bash the other products, so just take every thing in stride and read between the lines.

I, have only sailed on Carnival so cannot/will not bash/ talk about othe cruise lines. Why haven't I tried any other lines? Simply because I have NEVER had an experience on Carnival that warranted changing. Hence the old addage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
Quote:
Unless there was a big merger last night that has gone unreported on the news, RCCL is most certainly not owned by Carnival. As of yesterday:

RCL (ROYAL CARIBBEAN CR)
38.00 +1.49 (4.08%)

Carnival Corporation CCL (NYSE)
$46.70 +2.32 (5.23%)
Don't get 'em in a wad Doug. I thought I saw that somewhere, but apparently I stand corrected. Doesn't change my point anyway.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old September 19th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Don't get 'em in a wad Doug.
I didn't see any wad , just Doug correcting some misinformation, which should be thought of as a good thing.

Sure people pass on what they think are facts, not purposely posting misinformation, but it does help when it's corrected.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Easy enuff to correct but "RCCL is most certainly not" sounds like they got in a wad to me.
Either way, it isn't important enough to keep blowing on a flame.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the replies just kept wondering why it was so but I see a range of answers and they all seem to make sense now !

Really as long as I'm away from work I'm good!
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I have always heard those who like Carnival really like Carnival, and those who like Royal Caribbean really like Royal Caribbean (same for other lines). Just a matter of preference it seems. I love Carnival. But I am cruising my first RCL next summer, so we'll see how I feel when I get back.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Admiral

I have an employee who swears by RCL. Her husband and she will not even consider a Carnival cruise, even though they have never been on one. I am just trying to build up to my VIP status, otherwise, I would use the others. I have used Princess before.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Easy enuff to correct but "RCCL is most certainly not" sounds like they got in a wad to me.
Give it a rest, I think you misidentified who had it in a wad.

Old September 20th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Admiral

That's what THAT sentence meant!

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

ChadAnthony--Just for comparison, why don't you try RCCL's Voyager out of Galveston and see what it's like and how similar/different it is from your Carnival cruises.
Old September 21st, 2007, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old September 21st, 2007, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
Here is the hint call Carnival directly with a date in mind and ask them for a upgrade or ship board credit. Cruisemates did a wonderful article about cruise pricing they can't offer "Discount Prices" to everyone but if you call and ask they can offer certain discounts to you. Repositioning cruises are a good deal to. A repositioning cruise is one that doesn't end where it begins. The cruiseline is doing the cruise to reposition the ship to another region. Also group cruises like the ones cruisemates do are a great deal. I'm doing my first CM group cruise on Carnival 14 days 8A (balcony) $1329 this is a repositioning cruise I'm looking forward to it.

Babe Ruth I agree with you completely. A cruise I found "boring" may be perfect for someone that wants a relaxing vacation. My biggest problem with Celebrity was the research I did showed the food was really good. However, I got on the ship and the food was bad. The beef was tough and the shrimp was rubbery. I don't know if they had a bad week or what. Food is one of the top things I cruise for so I was disappointed.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 21st, 2007, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
Quote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Nah, just ain't worth it.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten