Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

View Poll Results: Do you always wash your hands after using the bathroom?
I wash them most of the time. 54 94.74%
It depends whether #1 or #2. 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2007, 06:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Some of you people ARE freaky. I will usually wash my hands after using the restroom, but not always. I was trained not to 'soil' my hands when using the facilities. As far as washing constantly, like some of the Howard Hughs want to be's, that's a little wierd and useless.

My wife is a microbioligist, she studies germs. She tells me the filtiest places are NOT in the rest rooms. Restrooms are regularly cleaned and sanitized. Computer keyboards, telephones, drawer pulls, door knobs, car door handles...places like this are loaded with bacteria. Not to mention the air you breath. Gee, folks, people have been living with germs for ever. The human body is designed to deal with them, don't sweat the small stuff.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

There is an honset one. This was a trick question after all. The first choice was that you wash them MOST of the time which seems to be the majority. Washing them most of the time mean that sometimes you don't. So from the poll I have deduced that 19 people wash them most of the time, and one person washes them after doing number 2 but not always after number 1.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old September 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasic
Some of you people ARE freaky. I will usually wash my hands after using the restroom, but not always. I was trained not to 'soil' my hands when using the facilities. As far as washing constantly, like some of the Howard Hughs want to be's, that's a little wierd and useless.

My wife is a microbioligist, she studies germs. She tells me the filtiest places are NOT in the rest rooms. Restrooms are regularly cleaned and sanitized. Computer keyboards, telephones, drawer pulls, door knobs, car door handles...places like this are loaded with bacteria. Not to mention the air you breath. Gee, folks, people have been living with germs for ever. The human body is designed to deal with them, don't sweat the small stuff.
I tried giving up breathing because of the germs but it just didn't work out like I planned.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 22nd, 2007, 01:08 PM
Passenger

True, you can eat something that fell on the floor (they actually did studies on the 5 second rule) but people will ALWAYS get sick if they ingest human fecal matter. The bacteria in human intestines and mouths are waaaaaay worse than dogs, horses, pigs, whatever. Any time people get sick after eating at a restaurant they almost always trace it back to an employee who did not wash their hands.

If your dog pooped on the floor, and you had to pick it up with a paper towel, would you dive back into the bowl of potato chips or would you wash your hands first?? And not washing after number one is only bad because of the bacteria on our skin in that area - urine in and of itself will not hurt you, but i'm sure it doesn't taste great. lol

Still, would any guys shake hands with a dude right after he zipped up his fly but before he washed his hand? ha ha

Quote:

Changes in latitude, changes in attitude....
Old September 22nd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Admiral

100% of the time in a public restroom...plus I put a paper towel in my hand to pull the door open when I leave.

At home, depends on what I am doing...watching tv-yes...working in the yard-no.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Your wife is correct but where do the vast majority of those germs come from? From people not washing their hands after going to the bathroom.

Granted the world is an unclean place and we live with more bacteria than anyone can imagine and you darn well better have a tolerance to it or you are in big trouble but it's the fresh stuff on people's hands that will cause problems.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 22nd, 2007, 03:46 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmarvel
True, you can eat something that fell on the floor (they actually did studies on the 5 second rule) but people will ALWAYS get sick if they ingest human fecal matter. The bacteria in human intestines and mouths are waaaaaay worse than dogs, horses, pigs, whatever. Any time people get sick after eating at a restaurant they almost always trace it back to an employee who did not wash their hands.

If your dog pooped on the floor, and you had to pick it up with a paper towel, would you dive back into the bowl of potato chips or would you wash your hands first?? And not washing after number one is only bad because of the bacteria on our skin in that area - urine in and of itself will not hurt you, but i'm sure it doesn't taste great. lol

Still, would any guys shake hands with a dude right after he zipped up his fly but before he washed his hand? ha ha

Quote:

Hey Ladies,

I would recomend asking your husband/significant other if he washed his hands before he comes back to the table and starts feeding you something!

Bill
Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

I do hit those little stations of sanitizer or wipes every time I pass one however. The rails and elevator buttons are just gross with "the small stuff". The 'residue' on those areas has me a little freaky.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

96% wash their hands most of the time.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmarvel

Quote:

Hey Ladies,

I would recomend asking your husband/significant other if he washed his hands before he comes back to the table and starts feeding you something!

Bill
I asked my hubby he said "Of course I do!!!! That's disgusting to not wash your hands." He is a bit of a neat freak.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Ladies, any guy who tells you he washes his hands everytime is not telling the truth.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
Ladies, any guy who tells you he washes his hands everytime is not telling the truth.
He will also respect you in the morning.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Admiral

and another thing, when you pee in the shower, you don't need to wash your hands if you don't touch it.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Admiral

Actually Doug is right. Our immune systems work best when they're exposed to germs on a regular basis.

Antibacterial soaps, and obsessive behavior may be counter-productive, as they can lead to weak immune systems.

So don't be afraid! Exercise your immune system! Touch that door knob!

Dean
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Touch that door knob!

Sorry Dean, not me.

I have been in public restrooms when there will be a guy absolutely exploding in one of the stalls!
I mean mud slapping plastic curtains loud.
Invariably, that will be the guy that just walks out and grabs the handle with his mud mitt.
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Admiral

gross!!

Dean, you are right. Our immune systems are made to handle germs. If we avoid germs we lose immunity.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Oh, I agree completely that we need to USE our immune system in order to keep it.
The public knob is where I draw the line is all.

...and I think one or two folks are gonna think twice the next time they reach for the handle.
Old September 29th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Admiral

When I arrive at a door that has to be pushed to be opened, I will close my hand into a fist and use my knuckles to open it. If the door has to be pulled, I will grasp it at the bottom most part of the handle, with my pinkie finger, and open it.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 30th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Admiral

OK folks, let's go over this again.......

Our immune systems need exercise to stay healthy. In fact, regular exercise is a good thing!

With regular exercise, our muscles grow big and strong. Our immune systems function likewise, don't they?

So if you want a happy, healthy and robust immune system, you must exercise it on a regular basis, right?

So fear no doorknob! For on that doorknob lies the stuff that ensures our longevity.

Fear isn't something that gets us anywhere for very long. It isn't so different with doorknobs.

So grasp that doorknob! Don't fear that germ!

It's in exercise that our well-being lies..........!

Dean
Old September 30th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Well said Dean. So why am I the only vote for not always washing hands?

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old September 30th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Hmmm...I'm still not grabbing a handle that I know has fecal matter on it.
Old October 1st, 2007, 05:18 PM
Admiral

During my microbiology class we swabbed things all over campus to see what and where bacteria was growing. It turns out that there really is no difference between handrails, door knobs, urinals, floors and any other place you think would be extra filthy or extra clean, bacteria is everywhere! So unless you wear gloves or wash your hands after touching anything it is futile! do I wash my hands everytime?? Let me be the only honest person here! no
Old October 1st, 2007, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedad
During my microbiology class we swabbed things all over campus to see what and where bacteria was growing. It turns out that there really is no difference between handrails, door knobs, urinals, floors and any other place you think would be extra filthy or extra clean, bacteria is everywhere! So unless you wear gloves or wash your hands after touching anything it is futile! do I wash my hands everytime?? Let me be the only honest person here! no
Where is your vote? I am still the only no.....

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
Your body is supposed to have natural defenses against germs. I have been eating off the floor and using the restroom without washing my hands for years and I never, ever get sick. I have not even had a cold in years even when every one sels at work has a cold or flu.

Yes, some are overly obsessed.
I have not been eating off the floor, and I ALWAYS wash my hands when using the restroom.
And I have not had a cold in years, nor the flu. Never take a sick day.

However, I am not obsessive when it comes to "germs" and don't use the antibacterial hand sanitizers [when I can avoid them] but do use them on the ship however. I don't wipe my cabin down with Lysol.
Old October 4th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Fruitcake, are you going to Jimmy B in November?

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Admiral

What does washing your hands after #1 really accomplish? If one rubs their leg, should they wash their hands? I would think washing your hands before doing #1 would make more sense.
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Very good point Rick. 8)

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Ahhh Rick, have you gotten a waft of yourself after a hot, sweaty day?

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Admiral

94% of you said "You wash them most of the time"

That means that sometimes you don't.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 6th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
Actually Doug is right. Our immune systems work best when they're exposed to germs on a regular basis.

Antibacterial soaps, and obsessive behavior may be counter-productive, as they can lead to weak immune systems.

So don't be afraid! Exercise your immune system! Touch that door knob!

Dean
You're right, and I will eat things that fall on the kitchen floor (unless they get covered with dog hair).

But the human body never "gets used to" things like e. coli, salmonella and botulism. If you get food poisoning once, you won't be immune in the future.

Antibacterial soaps do no good because people don't use them properly anyway (the soap is supposed to be on your hands for 15 seconds - about as long as it takes to sing happy birthday twice - try it next time you wash, most people wash for about 3 seconds. lol). Hand sanitizer can help keep you from getting sick - it stays on your skin which is how alcohol works best to disinfect.

That being said, I was feeding pieces of doughnut to my dog in the car today and using the same hand to feed myself - but she's a good dog and only grabs food, not fingers.

Changes in latitude, changes in attitude....