Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

View Poll Results: Do you always wash your hands after using the bathroom?
I wash them most of the time. 54 94.74%
It depends whether #1 or #2. 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Ok, peeps! You win. I guess I will wash my hands now every time I use the mens room. I presented this idea to Royal Caribbean and they agree it is a good way to help prevent the spread of norovirus. So if you see me going to the mens room more often than normal.....

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old October 14th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Admiral

One thing you guys need to realize (and a lot of women also-as I have seen MANY not wash their hands after leaving a stall)-you are not just hurting others-you are hurting yourselves-don't you realize you don't need to swallow your own feces bacteria germs? what about all those others germs you pick up at those nasty urinals?

Maybe now you realize why you get sick so much!

as Grandma always said-be sure and wash those hands!

Old October 15th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Quote:
(and a lot of women also-as I have seen MANY not wash their hands after leaving a stall)-
That is just gross!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Dave, I like your sink picture!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Makes you want to wash your hands doesn't it?

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Passenger

Like most people I wash my hands every time Im done in a decent bathroom, but some bathrooms are disgusting and you get dirtier washing hands than not. I lived in s.e. asia for years and have dealt with some terrible facilities. Because of that I have perfected a technique.

My process for a dirty bathroom, without getting too graphic: For one I never go #2 in one of these. When I go #1 in here I have a "look ma no hands" technique. All my hands touch is the waistband of my underwear (i put on a clean pair once a week whether i need them or not ). I have a shaking technique that is hands free. I flush with my foot. I then open the door with my foot. If all goes well I have touched nothing with my hands or any other part of my body. Of course you find a clean facility before you eat or contact anyone just to be safe. Heck I always wash my hands before eating. My wife also carries wet wipes and hand sanitizer which I will use.

I think my technique is better than touching a faucet that has grime all over it, going for a dirty soap dispenser only to find out it is out of soap, touching a wet and nasty towel dispenser only to find out it is out of paper, etc. There are some really nasty bathrooms out there, you can get dirtier "washing" your hands.
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Very good technique. Shake it more than 3 times though and....

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:41 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
Where's the radial button for ALL THE TIME ????? HAHAA
Hahaa????? Surely you jest. I didn't even fill out the survey because there was no choice for 'all the time'. Not only would I pick that one, but I also use the towel to turn off the tap and never touch the door handle with bare hands. Obviously this is not an 'over the top' precaution as some of you are opening the door with your bacteria-ridden hands. I think that on board a ship we should all be especially vigilant in hygeine since it is such an easy place for illness to spread. Those people who refuse to use the hand gel outside the lido deserve whatever THEY get.
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Hey what about the guys that only wash one hand.
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by new22003
Like most people I wash my hands every time Im done in a decent bathroom, but some bathrooms are disgusting and you get dirtier washing hands than not. I lived in s.e. asia for years and have dealt with some terrible facilities. Because of that I have perfected a technique.

My process for a dirty bathroom, without getting too graphic: For one I never go #2 in one of these. When I go #1 in here I have a "look ma no hands" technique. All my hands touch is the waistband of my underwear (i put on a clean pair once a week whether i need them or not ). I have a shaking technique that is hands free. I flush with my foot. I then open the door with my foot. If all goes well I have touched nothing with my hands or any other part of my body. Of course you find a clean facility before you eat or contact anyone just to be safe. Heck I always wash my hands before eating. My wife also carries wet wipes and hand sanitizer which I will use.

I think my technique is better than touching a faucet that has grime all over it, going for a dirty soap dispenser only to find out it is out of soap, touching a wet and nasty towel dispenser only to find out it is out of paper, etc. There are some really nasty bathrooms out there, you can get dirtier "washing" your hands.
Interesting... and I will not comment...

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Makes you want to wash your hands doesn't it?
Yes Dave, I would like to put one of those sinks in my house just for fun. What a conversation starter!

Old October 16th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Admiral

That would be a great idea. You might find your guests spending an inordinate amount of time in there though...

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by new22003

Maybe you should buy some wipes in indivual packetes. I have some I carry around in my purse-and believe you me-they come in use. guys could put a couplein their pockets.
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
(and a lot of women also-as I have seen MANY not wash their hands after leaving a stall)-
That is just gross!
Dave, you should have known my mom! poor soul, she has been gone 9 years now! But once she was in a Burger King in the bathroom and she saw an employee, a young woman, come out of the stall and leave without washing her hands.

My mom was pretty discusted and this was a strong minded say what she thought kind of gal! She went out, found the manager and reported the girl. I would not have been surprised if the girl was fired that day-but then she should have been!
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
Quote:
Hahaa????? Surely you jest. I didn't even fill out the survey because there was no choice for 'all the time'. Not only would I pick that one, but I also use the towel to turn off the tap and never touch the door handle with bare hands. Obviously this is not an 'over the top' precaution as some of you are opening the door with your bacteria-ridden hands. I think that on board a ship we should all be especially vigilant in hygeine since it is such an easy place for illness to spread. Those people who refuse to use the hand gel outside the lido deserve whatever THEY get.
Dave was being sarcastic and being a jokster-that is his personality-you only have to read through this thread and realize he finds those who do not wash their hands discusting. He was just making a subtle point about a lot of men-who feel it is not necessary to wash their hands if they just pee-which ofcourse is ridiculous with how nasty those public urinals are.

BTW, Dave, my idiot husband WAS one of those guys but I educated him! ( back when he ws a niave 25 year old!) One reason why I carry those little packets of indivually wrapped clean wipes! If I have to shake hands with someone I will discreetly , as soon as I can, clean my hands!
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
Quote:
Dave was being sarcastic and being a jokster-that is his personality-you only have to read through this thread and realize he finds those who do not wash their hands discusting. He was just making a subtle point about a lot of men-who feel it is not necessary to wash their hands if they just pee-which ofcourse is ridiculous with how nasty those public urinals are.

BTW, Dave, my idiot husband WAS one of those guys but I educated him! ( back when he ws a niave 25 year old!) One reason why I carry those little packets of indivually wrapped clean wipes! If I have to shake hands with someone I will discreetly , as soon as I can, clean my hands!
Actually, momofmeg, most newer urinals now and many retro-fitted have motion sensors so that you do not have to touch anything other than yourself. And some of us don't even have to do that. Just pull open the velcro, let it hang out and then walk away.

So.... no touchie, no need to washie!
8)
Using a stall is of course, another story.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Not to go off topic but this is a sister question to the do you wash your hands topic. And since we are on the subject of doing #1 and #2 here is my peeve. Why do we use dry paper after going #2? it is ridiculous! if it got on your arm for some reason would you just wipe it with a paper towel and go about your day? just a thought!
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Thanks for voting Rescuedad. Now there are three of us who will admit to it. Yes, I agree, wet wipes in the stall would be nice.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedad
Not to go off topic but this is a sister question to the do you wash your hands topic. And since we are on the subject of doing #1 and #2 here is my peeve. Why do we use dry paper after going #2? it is ridiculous! if it got on your arm for some reason would you just wipe it with a paper towel and go about your day? just a thought!
Many countries have a hose in the bathroom attached to a water spigot. (Not talking about a nice European bidet) Generally there is no TP at all or if they have it, it costs extra and is really only thin facial tissue. This is on top of the bathrooms charged entrance fee. They swear using the water is cleaner and it theory it is, but its ONE hose that everyone uses and it doesn’t appear that anyone ever really cleans/disinfects the hose and certainly not after every use. The way the hoses are rigged it is inevitable that there will be “splash back?. Add this to squatting toilets and you can get quite a nasty scene.
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Now there are three of us who will admit to it.
I think some are a bit embarrased or forgetful.

Flame Proof Suit on:
Not to offend anyone and not singling anyone out but I think the idea of washing hands absolutely 100% of the time is a bit dubious, especially for people like us who enjoy travel. I think most people have had at least one instance in their life when they didn’t have the opportunity be it for lack of facilities or overall nastiness of soap dispenser+faucet+towels. You then forgot to restock your personal supply, didn’t have your bag, changed bags and forgot to transfer contents, or ran out. I have seen many facilities where I would rather shake a persons hand right after they went then after they have used the nasty sticky sink, crusty soap dispenser, and wet bacteria laden from 30 people towel handle.

Maybe Im just not going to the right places
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Maybe Im just not going to the right places
That is probably the case.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
Quote:

Actually, momofmeg, most newer urinals now and many retro-fitted have motion sensors so that you do not have to touch anything other than yourself. And some of us don't even have to do that. Just pull open the velcro, let it hang out and then walk away.

So.... no touchie, no need to washie!
8)
Using a stall is of course, another story.
I still prefer for my hubby to wash his hands! He might bring cooties back to me!
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Admiral

Now I'm starting to see cleaning stations for the handles on shopping carts at stores like COSTCO!!!

I'm thinking that is a little over the top.
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
When I was in the hospital last year for my extended visit, I was absolutely helpless and the nurses used the wet wipes on me, OY VEY! By the 8th day, when I could finally become ambulatory on my own, I had to use them myself and I learned to be amberdextrious as my usual hand was useless being in a sling with a three way broken shoulder. So, I became used to those wet wipes.

Old October 18th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I actually use flushable wipes at home and if what you said happened Iwould CERTAINLY wash my arm with HOT soapy water-not just because of germs-but not wanting to go around smeeling like crap! !

funny but VERY gross!

This reminds me of the story of my nephew I was babysitting around 30 years ago-he could not stand a dirty diaper and would remove it. I had him in his play pen in the living room, a separate room from where I was in the kitchen cooking dinner, with the door open, so I could check on him because, unfortunately, I had spoiled him and he wanted me to hold him constantly.

Well I walk to the doorway to peep in on him and I get this SMELL-he had removed his diaper and taken his crap and rubbed it into his toys, his hair, all over his body, etc. etc. etc. I had to pick him up by the elbows-the only clean area on him and take him to the tub and SCRUB him head to toe. Afterward, I gave him to his older brother who was around 9 at the time and then pulled the playpen outside to scrub it down! Needless to say dinner was very late!

He did a similiar thing to my younger sister, when she was babysitting him about 6 months later, she was only about 14 ( he is my oldest sister's son) at the time. He was around 2 and she had given him popcorn to snack on-well he pulled off his diaper and struck popcorn in his crap!
My baby sister who is now 43 and dear ole Danny is now 31- my baby sister loves to tell that story on him. Danny went through a divorce not long ago-so every time my sister meets a new girlfriend of his she tells the popcorn story!
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Now I'm starting to see cleaning stations for the handles on shopping carts at stores like COSTCO!!!

I don't think so! I have never got that virus on ship in 13 cruises but I used to get it alot-then I got to thinking about those nasty Walmart carts and my bad habit of getting into a bag or candy or crackers before I got back home. I stopped doing that unless I used a wipe first when I get back in the car and it has now been 4 years since I have had a stomach virus! Before that it happened to me at least once a year, sometimes more.

BTW, this is off-topic also-but I loved that the Constellation provided wipes instead of the gel-I prefer the wipes.
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Our Publix has wipes outside also. I don't use them....

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250

Ive seen kids sitting in shopping carts just gnawing on the handles. Very gross for the kid and the next person to use the cart so it might be a good idea to use the wipes.

Shopping carts in general are pretty nasty. I worked as a cart boy at wal-mart in high school and I think the only cleaning they got was when it rained. On top of all the spilled foods and drinks you have human waste. Lots of kids sit in the carts with only diapers on. I saw many instances in which they leaked into the carts (both #1 and #2). Many people later use that area to set their purse, fruits, bread, misc foods. ewwwwww
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Gross!!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08