Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Oh, duh..I ate there last Tuesday! You're right, it's great.
Marty
P.S. Every Tues night my DH runs a drum circle at the Brewery on Douglas. Great fun...even belly dancers some nights. PM me if you want more info. We are going WAY off topic here!
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am a wealth of useless knowledge! It comes from spending time in the Cruise Ship Library. And drinking beer.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old October 5th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

When I saw this thread I thought, Oh No, here we go again, but this is down right funny.

I don't have any tats, because I also have a thing about needles, but as a teen, I had a friend who had a little monkey on her boob, and a long yellow banana on her stomach.

She should be about 50 now. I wonder if the monkey is now eating the banana?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

the coconuts are hanging low on the tree.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old October 13th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Luanne, that is too funny

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Tasteless Tattoos is redundant....

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Passenger

Yeah tats don't really bother me much....but i do agree..not so into the Full body covered tats like that Kat girl...but those alwasy seems to be the coolest people to talk to too!

My BF was in the army for 4 years and he got 3 tats while in...he unfortunately did the fad of the 2 armbands and on on his chest (i rather like thatone ) they are all small and cover up with a shirt....i do make fun of him sometimes for the arm band ones...haha but they look great on him cuz he works out....and yes i def bust his b@lls about how he's gonna look when he's 80 ..................I work for the navy as a civilian and i work with TONS of older military men....and i must say though for being 60+ thier arm tattoos look great and all have neat meanings.

ya yaya i'll shut up now 8)
CARNIVAL SENSATION-NOV '08
CARNIVAL FASCINATION- MAY '10
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Recently I heard the lower back tattoo refferred to as a "Panama License Plate" as well as the "Tramp Stamp". To each his own I guess. I think they are ugly.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2
Recently I heard the lower back tattoo refferred to as a "Panama License Plate" as well as the "Tramp Stamp". To each his own I guess. I think they are ugly.

Laura
Never heard of that one but I agree.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Passenger

I have a couple tattoos (that remain hidden by my day to day clothes), my sisters have tattoos, my mother has a tattoo, you get the idea...I'm not against tattoos. I am, however against distasteful tattoos. I know there are some of you chomping at the bit right now to ask me how I feel that I have the right to decide what is in good taste and what is not but let me give you an example: I had a uncomfortable few minutes this past summer when my five year old niece asked what the girl in the picture (large tattoo on a the back of a man in the pool) was doing and why she was naked. Let's just say she was in a "compromising position". I ended that conversation with "I'm not sure, why don't you ask your mother..." I know, cop-out but hey I'm just the aunt. Uncomfortable sex talks with a toddler falls strictly in the parent category.
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Krispycruiser you are funny as an aunt I agreed with your cop out. We aunts are just there to feed the kid a bunch of sugar and send him home with mommy. I also agree that tasteless is easy to know if it's X rated (NC 17) then it's tasteless. However look at this tattoo is it really gonna ruin your whole vacation it's on my shoulder (no sag issues). Isn't she cute.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Awww. That is one cute dragon!
I also have the privilege of being the aunt. All the fun and very little of the hassles. Taking 2 oldest on a cruise May 2008. Both teenagers, so I may get a touch of the hassle side....nah. They're good kids. But, I will have the worry aspect, as they will be my responsibility for that week.
Marty
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Krispycruiser you are funny as an aunt I agreed with your cop out. We aunts are just there to feed the kid a bunch of sugar and send him home with mommy. I also agree that tasteless is easy to know if it's X rated (NC 17) then it's tasteless. However look at this tattoo is it really gonna ruin your whole vacation it's on my shoulder (no sag issues). Isn't she cute.
Hahaha I agree! Play with them, spoil them, feed them full of sugar, then send them home when they are tired and cranky hahaha.

P.S. I love the seadragon tattoo! SOOOOOO CUTE!
Old November 8th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Passenger

Default Regret

Tattoos are rarely offensive and when they are I usually just look the other way. Like an exotic car with an idiotic bumper sticker, I think it is a shame when an attractive person has a distracting tattoo. Tattoos on the ugly are not usually an improvement either, but who's looking.

Tattoos are so trendy these days; I wonder how many people regret their decision to get a tattoo.

Most tattoo owners claim that each of their pieces of body art has near cosmic significance and will never be regretted and yet the tattoo removal business is thriving.

Old November 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Quote "Tattoos are so trendy these days"

Only tendy amongst people that are insecure and need to make a statement with their body that they cannot make with their mouth.

Like body builders, same difference
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Quote "Tattoos are so trendy these days"

Only tendy amongst people that are insecure and need to make a statement with their body that they cannot make with their mouth.

Like body builders, same difference
I take it that you do not have a tattoo and not a into body building? I would never belittle anyone for making personal choices. mmm now who is being "insular"?
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tasteless Tattoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
I don't know about the rest of you but I'm getting tired of having to look at all the tasteless tattoos showing up on cruises these days. I mean what gives, don't people have anything better to do than get these tasteless tattoos painted all over themselves. Cover this stuff up, please! Or at least save the show for the bedroom where it belongs. I mean, really, this stuff looks kind of trashy!

I don't care for tattoos either-anywhere-but I also know what other people do is none of my business.
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Rick, your calling me insular...your having a laugh. Maybe if I were, then I would not be banned so many times for having "MY" opinion and therefore could have "raised" myself in 5 years or so to a serious rank on this board.

Insular, my a...

But certain things in life are for personal gratification; yes mine is talking, for others its tats, or physical body presence, but its personal to them.

You cannot share a "body" opinion on how pretty the size of your own personal tats are or your six pack with others…its personal

Especially this new trend from the "tat" brigade that are now moving into "branding",,,yes that's the correct word.

A hot iron pressed into your skin with a symbol on it. Now honestly why would any right minded person want to do that to their body and then expect others to find it exceptable?
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Admiral

My favorite tatoos are the ones that turn into green splotches...like paint ball hits.

...and they all will!
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Passenger

SERIOUS NOTE: My girlfriend works at a major hospital. She heard recently of a anesthesiologist who REFUSED to give a pregnant woman with a so-called "tramp stamp" an epidural during delivery. He cited the possibility of the dye used in the tattoo as a contaminant of her spinal fluid since the incision was in that area. Why should he risk getting sued over this woman's decision to have a tattoo? After all, it was her "right", wasn't it?

FUNNY NOTE: Besides "tramp stamp", I've also heard of women's lower back tattoos, especially the ones that extend up the sides of the back, referred to as "a$$ antlers". Way too funny!
Carnival Imagination 11/07 (booked)

Free Cruise Clocks
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Given the tat people are now into branding as well as ink, maybe they and everyone else should get their health insurance policy number written as a tat or in a hot iron brand onto their body, that would save a lot of confusion, especially if done as a readable bar code.

Scenario:---You collapse, medics turn up, take a scanner across your barcode and via their computers and your "potential " medical plan can decide what to do with you.

Given what you are insured against and what YOU and your insurers are facing....they can determine whether to leave you on the street (as you are not ambulance covered) or give in advance some data to the docs and an idea of what they can afford to fix before you get there.

Yeah in your society,,,, I can see that working. Take out a health policy, and have a tat to go with it, better now than in dispute later regarding your cover.

Written in honesty, but with tongue firmly in cheek
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to wraithe Send a message via Yahoo to wraithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2

Laura
I've also heard the tramp stamp referred to as a Panama City license plate. It's sort of funny, spent 20 years in the Navy, no tats. I plan to get a CPO anchor with my fish under them on my right forearm. Now that I'm retired out of the service, I can get a tat on my forearm without having to ask permission, yes, that's right, if you want a tattoo in a conspicuous location, you have to ask permission, and it isn't usually granted. You can't get in the service now if you have "excessive" numbers or obscene tattoos. How's that for useless information. I'm with thasic, I know lots of things, they just aren't very useful, maybe it's a service related thing. My lovely bride who is mumble, mumble years younger than me has two. You'd never know it if you met her at work, she's an engineering manager at a nuclear power laboratory, but if you see us dancing on the ship or sunning next to the pool, you could see them. Ironic huh, the squid doesn't have any tattoos, but the college girl does.

Past Cruises:
USS Henry L. Stimson-SSBN 655 Gold (4 Patrols 1988-1991)
USS Daniel Webster-SSBN 626 Blue (Conversion Crew)
USS Nebraska-SSBN-739 Blue (5 Patrols 1995-1998)
USS Wyoming-SSBN 742 Blue (3 Patrols 2002-2004)

Grandeur of the Seas-10/28/2005 - 10/13/2006 - 10/05/2007
Mariner of the Seas-4/2/2006
Radiance of the Seas-3/17/2007

Upcoming Cruises
Grandeur of the Seas-4/12/2008 - 4/19/2008- 10/30/2008
Celebrity Century-2/9/2009
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Given the tat people are now into branding as well as ink, maybe they and everyone else should get their health insurance policy number written as a tat or in a hot iron brand onto their body, that would save a lot of confusion, especially if done as a readable bar code.

Scenario:---You collapse, medics turn up, take a scanner across your barcode and via their computers and your "potential " medical plan can decide what to do with you.

Given what you are insured against and what YOU and your insurers are facing....they can determine whether to leave you on the street (as you are not ambulance covered) or give in advance some data to the docs and an idea of what they can afford to fix before you get there.

Yeah in your society,,,, I can see that working. Take out a health policy, and have a tat to go with it, better now than in dispute later regarding your cover.

Written in honesty, but with tongue firmly in cheek
Won't work medical insurance changes to often. The bar code should have your medical history.

I like my big mouth and my tattoo they are both extensions of my personality. If you don't like my tattoo that is fine I won't make you get one. I promise my tattoo will not attack you or in any other way impact you vacation. If my tattoo does impact your vacation by just being on my body then that is your problem not mine.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 17th, 2007, 04:34 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieOhio
SERIOUS NOTE: My girlfriend works at a major hospital. She heard recently of a anesthesiologist who REFUSED to give a pregnant woman with a so-called "tramp stamp" an epidural during delivery. He cited the possibility of the dye used in the tattoo as a contaminant of her spinal fluid since the incision was in that area. Why should he risk getting sued over this woman's decision to have a tattoo? After all, it was her "right", wasn't it?

FUNNY NOTE: Besides "tramp stamp", I've also heard of women's lower back tattoos, especially the ones that extend up the sides of the back, referred to as "a$$ antlers". Way too funny!

That's not an isolated incident. An anesthetist will not do an epidural on a woman if the tattoo is over a certain area of the lower spine. My new daughter-in-law has small one on her lower back (Ukrainian endearing word for 'little girl' that her now deceased grandmother called her). She checked with a physician and fortunately hers is low enough not to be a problem. However, many young women are destined to deliver their baby the old fashioned way!! Also, arms covered in tattoos are difficult for starting IV's, even for a pro like me. You will also be banned from being a blood donor. It is SO permanent. Why do something trendy that you will be stuck with forever. Hindsight is 20/20 !! I think most of them are ugly or the artwork is sometimes rather primitive. Why would you want a school child's rendition of a dragon or whatever on your body....for life. I actually feel sorry for those who have fallen for this artistry on their bodies. I particularly feel ill for those who have chosen really evil,'dark' tattoos.
Old November 17th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Admiral

I think the joke is often on the person getting the tattoo. They get some Chinese letters or symbols or some Indian tribal thing around their arm without even knowing what it means. It probably says something like, "I am an Idiot" or "I am a slut" or "I am ignorant" and the tattoo artist is laughing his arse off. I can't believe the proliferation of the TV shows deicated to this. "LA Ink" and "Miami Ink" that glamorize this craziness and promote this to kids. Some of those people are in a race to cover every square inch of there bodies. I am sure down the road we will be hearing about the medical problems associated with this overindulgence of ink.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 17th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Admiral

I'm sticking with the skin design I was issued.
Old November 17th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
I'm sticking with the skin design I was issued.
Good one. Me too! I don't have any graffitti on my house or car either.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old November 17th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Well, I will admit to a Charger Bolt on the rear slider of my truck.
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Seabeacon

I don't like tattoos either but to each his own I guess. I just get irked when people with tattoos are offended if they happen not to get a certain job because of their tats. IMHO it's not very professional to have them hanging out all over but like I said, to each his own.
Old November 25th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Beginner

First of all, Hi, I'm new, and I'm an aspiring tattoo artist, and I plan to have many many tattoos myself eventually.
I have a few comments on the subject. First off, on all the negative things about graffiti. Graffiti is a beautiful artform. And not all of it is illegal, personally, I'd prefer the outside of my house to be covered in it, as well as my car. However having to keep the resale value in mind, I cannot.

Also, not all tattoos will look like green paintball hits. Poorly done tattoos probably will, yes. However, well done ones should not.

Tattoos used to be a sign of class, however it was a sign of the upper class, not the lower class. Tattoos have been around for a long time, there will always be people who are getting them, however, the popularity of them will rise and fall.

And Dayvidb, I am not insecure at all, infact I'm more secure with myself then most people my age.

Also, to comment on the TV show's "miami ink" and others, just note that most tattoo artists dislike these shows also. They have made teenage kids believe that being a tattoo artist is alike to being a 'rockstar' and has caused a flood of apprentices, with no passion for it, and a new wave of scratchers.

I apologize for pulling up this thread, as it is a week or two old.
Closed Thread