Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
"
Great social statements here

"If someone judges another person only on appearance that is a shame. That person would miss a lot. It is true that most people judge with thier eyes. However, understanding "you can't judge a book by it's cover" has let me meet and talk to some interesting people. "

Yeah…Martin Luther you’re having a laugh and I wish it was true for a lot of humanity and their reasoning. But now is the time to be honest

Question: how often do you take that "same" onboard feeling when you meet a "bag lady" outside the supermarket or all those other "uncomfortable" people scenarios that we see and drive past everyday. I'm talking real life and social attitude here, not just "oh we are on a ship" and they should all be nice people tats or not. This is the hard part. If someone is a threat to your well being it's one thing. Then yes, I will be careful around that person and watch how this interact with others before I talk to them. I worked in downtown Hayward and had experience with a "bag lady" I had to make her leave she was crazy and a physical threat to those around her. However, if someone has down's syndrome, or is dress strangely that another thing all together.

On my last cruise there was a young woman in the hot tub with down's syndrome and I noticed a lot of people avoiding that hot tub because of it. I went into that hot tub and we had a nice talk. I would have missed that experience if I used the other hot tub. In general I find I'm more mistrustful of those people wearing all designer clothes and driving fancy cars. They focus to much on outer appearance and will go in to serious credit card debt to maintain the look for success.

For one that is the biggest misnomer, we are on a ship and “they” should be nice people,,,that don’t work.

DO you hold that same attitude back home with those you meet in life on the street, if you do respect to you.

I take my home experience onto the ship, and those with tats...mmmm

Get back to you later

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
KD are you suggesting the rest of us should monitor our use of Pictures when they are used to make a valid point because you have dial up? I'm sorry you live in an area the doesn't allow for a fast connect. But CQ posted these pictures and you were able to post a reply with no problem, so the dial up must not be the much of a problem.

Back on topic a tattoos like the one below can be covered up for work and shown on the beach or in a social setting.

I am not suggesting pictures never be posted, but putting many large pictures up (most of which did not even show their tattoos) is pointless. The same problem happened on the bikini posts. Yes I am able to EVENTUALLY bring up the entire thread, but the more pictures the longer it takes. This also ties up my phone line. More to the point, display only the pictures that support your view. The small tat you showed was appropriate.......although I think its unattractive at work or on the beach.
CQ, appreciate your take on the celebs, but I think the world is nuts to follow trends based on what the 'stars' are doing.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
CQ, appreciate your take on the celebs, but I think the world is nuts to follow trends based on what the 'stars' are doing.
Most people don't get a tattoo because a Celebrity has one. Rather the tattoo has a special meaning to that person.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Admiral

What about the long lines on cruise ships for the temp airbrush tattoos!

This little girl is a cutie!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Admiral

"They do not have any more credibility or value as human beings they are in the same boat as the rest of us. Again easier to use a name like Angelina Jolie versus my neighbor 3 houses down"

Why not use your neighbor 3 houses down as an example of the tat "art", more chance I will meet them on the ship than Angelina Jolie

Or do they not present the glamour you want to portray or get with using celeb?

So how much does your neighbor look like Angelina and her tats? It would be interesting to see the comparison, got a picture

Katlady

"Question: how often do you take ,,blah blah. it was an open question and not directed at you, but directed at all those opinionated people that expect ship to be like a "different" life comapared to back home and the people you can experience.

Respect for your reply,,nice one

As for that youTube link and that poor child, I could really kick off,,,shocking
Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Kat that is a nice tat nice colors!

Also nicely said in above post!

Have a wonderful afternoon/evening to all!!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
"They do not have any more credibility or value as human beings they are in the same boat as the rest of us. Again easier to use a name like Angelina Jolie versus my neighbor 3 houses down"

Why not use your neighbor 3 houses down as an example of the tat "art", more chance I will meet them on the ship than Angelina Jolie

Or do they not present the glamour you want to portray or get with using celeb?

So how much does your neighbor look like Angelina and her tats? It would be interesting to see the comparison, got a picture

Katlady

"Question: how often do you take ,,blah blah. it was an open question and not directed at you, but directed at all those opinionated people that expect ship to be like a "different" life comapared to back home and the people you can experience.

Respect for your reply,,nice one Thank you

As for that youTube link and that poor child, I could really kick off,,,shocking
Hi CQ I can't see the you tube link until I get to a different computer. I will have to check it out.
Rinker the tattoo is of a hibiscus flower. I like tropical flowers.
KD you do make a valid point. I will reduce my pictures to one of two per post. I'm so glad I don't have dial up anymore. It was a pain in the a$$.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Admiral

And why was I quoted on this

Go on, find a computer that will allow you to see this poor terrified child being filmed by their parents to then place on You Tube.

When capturing family moments my parents did building sand castles, playing games with the family or friends You know the NORMAL stuff kids expect. But now its filming having a child " kidding on they are having fun, having a tattoo"…,oh dear

Look how happy or comfortable that child is in the film, trying to please the parents
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Royal Caribbean has the temp tattoo station I don't know about other cruiselines. Mostly kids and some adults getting them. Parents are not forcing the kids to get a temp tattoo on a cruise ship it is the other way around the kiddies love getting a little design.

It is not painful and the girl in the video is not terrified. It actually tickles. The kiddies like to check out each others design. It washes off in about 5 days. No harm done.
Last cruise there was a little girl with a little mermaid sparkle design.

Many little girls like to get their hair braided and a sparkle temp tattoo while on vacation. After the cruise the braids come off and Sparkle tattoo washes off.

NORMAL kids stuff changes through the years.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Admiral

"Parents are not forcing the kids to get a temp tattoo on a cruise ship it is the other way around the kiddies love getting a little design."

On what fact is that based, sorry seen a child totally unsure what was going to happen and at the same time being filmed by her parents, looking at what was going to happen and then back to her parents for comfort or reassurance. Her idea for this "family film", not sure

"NORMAL kids stuff changes through the years"

You have no idea how much I disagree with that and there is the problem, normal is taught to children, they are not born with it...IT's ADULTS and their society that teach them normal, so its not the years, its adult people and their values that teach children what is NORMAL.

Put it this way if you brought up your children to think that they have the right to carry a gun and use it, as its in the con,,,oops
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Admiral

I finally got to see the video. Dayvid from what you said I thought the I would see a scared child. She is not scared at all and fact smiles during the airbrush process. She is a well behaved child.

By the way face painting and arm painting are nothing new. I think the word "tattoo" is what caused you write the prior posts the way you did. Had CQ presented the video under a thread entitle "well behaved little girl get her arm painted on a cruise" it my opinion you may have felt different. It's all about the way the video was presented. That is my 2 cents.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Admiral

Kat,

We have a ton of birthday party places (usually in the malls) where the girls have birthday parties that specialize in painting.

The kids love it.

Here are some more Cuties (including the clown )

Back to the original topic of "tattoos on cruise ships"

This is where I will be in less then 3 weeks and I really could not care less who has a tattoo, who does not have a tattoo, who likes tattoos and who hates them. 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Given that the tatoo the little girl was getting was airbrushed/painted on and it was temporary, it does not hurt at all, IMO she was enjoying it and was pleased with her design, I see nothing wrong with it.

My 8 year old granddaughter likes those little tatoos that you wet and peel off. It's fun for her, harmless and washes right off.

I went on a "girls cruise" and we all got an airbrushed tatoo!

Now, I wouldn't approve of my granddaughter getting a real inked tatoo (and neither would her parents!), nor would I get a real tatoo.

But, to each their own. I think a lot of tatoos that people have are real works of art.
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Here is an example of a tattoo on a regular person. I think this tattoo add something. I like the shoes to.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 6th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Admiral

On this one, Kat, I like the tat better than the shoes!
Marty
Old June 6th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Okay I will accept on this one...mmm

It's all about perception and how we all see things, and I had mine. But valid points, and I aint talking about the shoes
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Here is an example of a tattoo on a regular person. I think this tattoo add something. I like the shoes to.
Put a female elephant in those shoes and she would be sexy!
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Maybe so, Bill, but I would also fall down a lot.
Marty

Old June 17th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Maybe so, Bill, but I would also fall down a lot.
Marty

Old June 18th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Wife and I went for breakfast this morning.

It was a small restaraunt where everybody knew each other.
In walks a gal with many tatoos wearing a tube top and she is showing her newest ones to a few folks...an EYEBROW on each breast!!!!

I can now die knowing I have seen everything.
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Wife and I went for breakfast this morning.

It was a small restaraunt where everybody knew each other.
In walks a gal with many tatoos wearing a tube top and she is showing her newest ones to a few folks...an EYEBROW on each breast!!!!

I can now die knowing I have seen everything.
Come down to California I will take you over to Berkeley that is where crazy lives. Than you can say you have seen everything.

We have people who have been sitting in a tree since 2006 and refuse to leave because the University of Berkeley wants to crop down the trees to put in a gym. The University had to get a court order to make them leave and now the arborists(sp?) are trying to take down their stuff and get them out of the trees. The tree sitters have hit the arborists and thrown human waste at them. :evil:

However, lots people have interesting tattoos and piecings in Berkeley.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Admiral

I was in Berkely 2 weeks ago.

Received the Peace sign and got flipped off from the same car!
Old June 19th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Admiral

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Admiral

I've just re-read the last two pages and its actually quite funny the lengths some people will go to justify social differences or how WE react to others that we see don’t conform to us, but at the same time trying to show WE care, as people,,,

Its personal perception of others, nothing else, and it will never will be anything else.

It’s a no win, its not justification that we need here. Its admission that I or you have the right to not want anything to do with this person presented to me, usually as they don’t fit my expectation in life,,sad and shallow but true. And tats is one of my criteria’s.

Accept it, you have a tat or tats, some people will see you as not "norm" to them. Right or wrong, its opinion 8)

No real answer
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Ok, lets not forget about the Guys out there - I wonder what these "hunks" and their tatoos will look like when they are in their 60's and 70's - Everybody sags - not just the ladies.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie Platt
Ok, lets not forget about the Guys out there - I wonder what these "hunks" and their tatoos will look like when they are in their 60's and 70's - Everybody sags - not just the ladies.
What'd I miss?

I saw no one making a distinction between Guys and Gals
Old July 3rd, 2008, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I've just re-read the last two pages and its actually quite funny the lengths some people will go to justify social differences or how WE react to others that we see don’t conform to us, but at the same time trying to show WE care, as people,,,

Its personal perception of others, nothing else, and it will never will be anything else.

It’s a no win, its not justification that we need here. Its admission that I or you have the right to not want anything to do with this person presented to me, usually as they don’t fit my expectation in life,,sad and shallow but true. And tats is one of my criteria’s.

Accept it, you have a tat or tats, some people will see you as not "norm" to them. Right or wrong, its opinion 8)

No real answer
What happens if you meet someone talk to them, like them then find out they have a tattoo? It's easy to say "this person doesn't fit into my expectation in life" when it's not person you have met. Once you get to know someone and like them their personal appearence is less important to you. Our personalities in the end is all that is left as we age. All this with the tattoos is first impression and those are rarely correct. Until you talk to someone and get to know that you can't really judge them correctly. I hair this biker's hair he was scary looking. As I talked to him I found him to be really interesting he was the real "wolfman" of California. It's been over 15 years and I still remember him clearly. California is a state full of interesting people I would miss a lot if appearence was the only thing that mattered.

Plus as a tax collector for years I found a really polished appearence (designer clothes and perfect hair) to be an mask that a lot of dis honest people hide behind. Driving a leased BMW and living in the "rich" part of town in a rented house nothing is real wealth it's just the appearence.
Shoot this man got away with being an airline pilot and a doctor just based on appearance.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 3rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
"Parents are not forcing the kids to get a temp tattoo on a cruise ship it is the other way around the kiddies love getting a little design."

On what fact is that based, sorry seen a child totally unsure what was going to happen and at the same time being filmed by her parents, looking at what was going to happen and then back to her parents for comfort or reassurance. Her idea for this "family film", not sure

"NORMAL kids stuff changes through the years"

You have no idea how much I disagree with that and there is the problem, normal is taught to children, they are not born with it...IT's ADULTS and their society that teach them normal, so its not the years, its adult people and their values that teach children what is NORMAL.

Put it this way if you brought up your children to think that they have the right to carry a gun and use it, as its in the con,,,oops
Quite the truth my friend, parents of this generation have absolutely NO regards to the mental anguish that they inflict upon their little charges. It is all about themselves only and they will stoop to the lowest of the lows to show their ignorance and drag those precious little innocents with them.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Admiral

Hey Kat,

I met some wonderful families on my cruise last week. Nobody cared if I had a tattoo or not. There were five families that I exchanged emails with and plan to keep in touch. All very nice and funny people.
Of the five families there was a mixture of tattoos, plus size, age 60+ and different income levels. And even one of the families had a daughter in a wheelchair. (so sad )
We all hit it off very well and nobody cared who was tattood, plus size, older, a cashier or doctor, or disabled.

We all felt bad that we all met towards the end of the week and would have loved to shared a few more drinks and laughs together as a group.

But best of all the Captain did not throw me overboard for having a tattoo!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas