Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Yeoman

Default Tasteless Tattoos

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm getting tired of having to look at all the tasteless tattoos showing up on cruises these days. I mean what gives, don't people have anything better to do than get these tasteless tattoos painted all over themselves. Cover this stuff up, please! Or at least save the show for the bedroom where it belongs. I mean, really, this stuff looks kind of trashy!
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

you're kidding...aren't you?
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Bill you are gonna get bashed for this one! We have been through this before but I have your back and I am with you. I don't have any and never will but it seems to be all the rage these days. Not just soldiers and bikers and prisoners anymore.

I was at the YMCA last night and saw one young girl 20ish with one whole arm done, the back of her neck, the tramp stamp on the lower back and also one of her legs was half covered in big very colorful tattoos. I thought to myself, what does her dad think?

You see alot of fresh tattoos on older people too like some sort of mid life crisis. A way to be a part of it or join the crowd in someway. Maybe they see everyone else doing so they think they will be cool if they do it. My mom told me a long time ago, "if someone else jumps off the Brooklyn Bridge, are you gonna do it?"

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Passenger

What do you consider tasteless? And what in the world is a tramp stamp- I'm 36 and I haven't heard that?

My wife has one on her lower back that you can't see unless she is in a bathing suit and it looks like a butterfly but a little fancier (if you can get fancier with a tatoo). I think it's in good taste.

I have also seen guys who have tons of them and don't see anything wrong with it - it's there body. However I've never encountered tasteless tattoos. I have seen some on the internet you get in emails and I have to wonder why people put certain things but then again it's their body not mine.
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

In my opinion they are all tasteless.
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Captain

I just hope I live long enough to see some of these women when they are in their 60's and above someday...Especially the ones that have them on their belly button & breasts lol...On second thought, maybe I don't wanna see it.

What they don't realize is it's just a fad that has been around a little longer now than some. I realize they've been around forever, but the craze for them has been around now for about 10 or 15 yrs....In a generation or two, it's not going to be the cool thing anymore. It's like buying a pair of bell bottoms and saying they will be the only jeans you wear for life.
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
I just hope I live long enough to see some of these women when they are in their 60's and above someday...Especially the ones that have them on their belly button & breasts lol...On second thought, maybe I don't wanna see it.

What they don't realize is it's just a fad that has been around a little longer now than some. I realize they've been around forever, but the craze for them has been around now for about 10 or 15 yrs....In a generation or two, it's not going to be the cool thing anymore. It's like buying a pair of bell bottoms and saying they will be the only jeans you wear for life.
You are right. I tell my kids they can have their hair long, wear funny clothes and listen to Rock n Roll but if they get a tattoo I will break their arm.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Admiral

What a person puts on their on body and it is not obscene, is there own business. its there own body , if you don`t like what you see, DON`T LOOK
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Yeoman

Now that I think about it I do like the tramp stamp women put on their lower back, that is kinda sexy! 8)
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

What's the tramp stamp? Is that simply the common "lower back tattoo?"
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think this particular discussion is pretty funny actually.

Too bad there's really no definition of class. Isn't it really something we all see in a different light?

The funny part is reading everyone's version of what class is.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecat
Yes, the tattoo on the small of the back is known as a "tramp stamp". I heard the CD on one of my cruises refer to it as a "pull out target" also. Hilarious!

Besides, I didn't know tattooes had a flavor

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Quote:
Yes, the tattoo on the small of the back is known as a "tramp stamp". I heard the CD on one of my cruises refer to it as a "pull out target" also. Hilarious!

Besides, I didn't know tattooes had a flavor
NO YOU DID NOTTTTTTTTTTTT JUST SAY THAT OUT LOUD! OMG IM LAUGHING SO HARD....Mehawk!

my daughter has a bad one on her BACK! (and a tramp stamp, dont say it mehawk, esp if your going with us in jan.)
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Admiral

Oh wow...so now I'm labeled...good to know... lol. I am the furthest thing from a tramp, however, have the so-called "stamp"-a small heart made from two long stemmed roses...(and it's the only one i've got).

I guess now if I see people whispering and nodding towards my back I know what they're saying.

So goes life...and it's too short to care what others think!

This thread is hilarious, and educational. Thanks for the laughs
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Oh wow...so now I'm labeled...good to know... lol. I am the furthest thing from a tramp, however, have the so-called "stamp"-a small heart made from two long stemmed roses...(and it's the only one i've got).

I guess now if I see people whispering and nodding towards my back I know what they're saying.

So goes life...and it's too short to care what others think!

This thread is hilarious, and educational. Thanks for the laughs
Don't take it personally Cutie Cat, I never even made the connection until my 18 yo stepdaughter used the term the other day. Until then, they were just lower back tattoos.

I have to weigh in here as the proud owner of a tiger head on my left shoulder (I was born in the year of the tiger). Yes it was a mid-life crisis (don't knock mid-life crisises until you have one ).

When I turned 50:

1. Got Tattooed
2. Got Pierced
3. Got Married for the first time.
4. Got a convertible.

Tastefully done tats are great, but overdone is overdone. Homemade and cheap tats are a bad idea, you get what you pay for. Personally I would never get one where it could not be covered by normal clothing (hint: not all prospective employers really want someone with visible tats). Finally when they fade, get them touched up, I will be getting mine redone sometime in the next few years.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Captain

Yeah some look downright good. Just has to be the right thing in the right place...What you are talking about CC is the type that sounds very nice.
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:28 AM
First Mate

Default 'Tramp Stamp"

The term came from tattoo artists, not observers of said tattoos.
Kinda let's folks know what the "artists" think of their customers!
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Even those who do graffiti are sometimes called artists, however most of it is just defacing public property. Now if you want to deface your own property, that is fine as long as you don't live in a deed restricted community.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Admiral

I have no tatoos. The whole needle and permanent thing made that decision easy. I have seen some that are pretty.. some interesting.. and some I wonder.. WHY? If others care to get them then thats fine. I also know other in my office have to cover them up because it give the office a negative customer image. Just my 2 cents.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Nah, I didn't take it personally. I was laughing at the label. I think it's all very amusing
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Admiral

I think of tatoos as body grafitti and piercings as body mutilitation, but, if that is the way of identifying yourself, go right ahead. It is your life and your body.

The thing is, why spend money on something that can poison you body and costs a small fortune and a lot of torture to remove. The money could better be spent on cruises and clothes to wear on them. ( this is a cruise gripes page, after all)

Live and let live, and you will live longer!
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Well said Paul. I see people all the time who can't afford to care for their kids but sport hundreds or thousnads of dollars in tattoos.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
Well said Paul. I see people all the time who can't afford to care for their kids but sport hundreds or thousnads of dollars in tattoos.

Ahhh yes. Another generalization, the tattooed as the negligent parents. :evil:

Yeah it cost me $150, got a problem with that?

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Admiral

The only "deed restrictions" on my property are whatever I choose.

While I don't have a tat....yet, I don't mind them either. And, while my parents/grandparents would have heart attacks if they weren't already gone, I do not consider them tacky or offensive. Some are even very artistic.

Hubby has one...a wedding band on his ring finger. He got tired of worrying about his wedding ring when he worked...constantly taking it off and on and afraid of losing it. Now, it can't get lost.

My brother sent me a birthday card that said "Don't worry about your age. Celebrate like a teenager." On the inside, it said "Get a wrinkle pierced." I loved it!
Marty
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Admiral

I think my user name says it all, I have lots of tattoos and love them all and would never think of removing them. Be careful Dave, when you tell your children they positively can't have something, you know what that means.
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
Be careful Dave, when you tell your children they positively can't have something, you know what that means.
Thanks for the warning. You are right. But I will just tell them I won't take them on cruises anymore.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Dave, that probably would do the trick and a great incentive. You'd still love them even if they got a tattoo, wouldn't you?
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Admiral

I will still love them but will cut them out of the inheritence and the cruise benefits.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:53 AM
Passenger

Oh goodness I told my wife and she was a little peeved when I referred to it as a tramp stamp. I've slept in the dog house since- THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, hers is a nice one and not degrading and she purposley got it in a place where clothes hide it. She is 33 and got it when she was 25 and she doesn't regret it. She actually forgets about it because she can't see it unless she is undressed and staring at her back in the mirror.

We are pretty upstanding citizens and go to several sqaunky functions for my work and I'm sure noone even thinks she has one. I think tattoos now days are so broad range you can see it on a homeless person to a CEO. I do have to agree with going overboard but then again it's not my body. Also parents who drive really beat up cars, kids running around with tattered clothes and dirty should spend their money elsewhere than getting a tattoo. From what my wife said they are pricey to say the least.
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:29 AM
Admiral

I've only heard of them referred to in that manner. I believe they became more popular with creation of low rise pants for woman.. They "display" the tatoo easily this way. As I said. their choice for sure.... just not for me.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Closed Thread