Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel
Default Left behind in port--almost

Ok, I want to ask all of you if you've had the same experience at least once on a cruise where someone forgets to read the daily capers (or whatever each line calls it), forgets to hear the announcement, and forgets to ask what time the ship leaves at. Yes, it happened in St. Thomas, but what I heard was that someone got left behind, not absolutely positive, just a rumor. We did have two stragglers in San Juan who kindly showed up at 3:35, the ship was to leave at 3:30 and all passengers back on board (or in line) at 3.

Anyone else have the same experience and what do they tell these people when they get back on board?....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Captain

We had 2 ladies almost miss the ship in Cabo the harbour master came out with these 2 ladies on board and they had to jump on to the ship.
Next was 6 people were missing in Mazatlan...2 made it to the ship at the last minute the other 4 did not ..later we found out they had to fly to the next port (at their own expense) plus an overnight hotel stay.

Always check the last boarding time & take a watch...
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Admiral

We had just pulled away from the dock at St. Thomas and we saw a taxi screech to a halt and two young girls and boys running toward the ship screaming "stop", "stop". They were dressed in bathing suits and tank tops so I'm guessing they had to do a little shopping. I'm sure they had to make their own arrangements to meet the ship at the next port but when we were sailing out of the harbor, there was an announcement stating that our next port was cancelled due to inclement weather. Don't know what happened to them.
Old September 30th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Admiral

I see it happen EVERY TIME I've sailed into Cozumel! It's always a couple of people who are drunker than seven hundred dollars (can you say Carlos & Charlies?) who come running down the pier and either miss, or almost miss the ship. It has become a sport with the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and me to watch the sail away from there, because it never misses.

Ken
Old October 1st, 2007, 12:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Have seen it twice - once in St. Thomas from the deck of the Norway in 1995 - 4 college aged kids missed the boat and hired a speedboat to try to catch up. The Captain of the Norway was trying to co-operate and get them onboard, but it was just too dangerous and they aborted the mission.

Can you imagine that phone call, "Um, Dad, I'm in St. Thomas, my stuff is on the ship, my passport, most of my money, all my clothes, and I'm in St. Thomas. What's your credit card number again?"

Then, once in Martinique, we were all watching a car careening down the hills on the way to the ship and a handsome young couple ran out of the car, hopped on a little boat, and then the fun began........

We were only about 150 yards off the pier and the little boat pulled up to the Crown Princess - they found a ladder on the side of the ship and the husband pushed the young woman up the ladder into the "hole" in the ship.

We saw them at dinner and I asked her, "Weren't you terrified?", and she said, "I didn't have time to be scared. If I had looked down I would have died so I just kept looking up to the crew who were waiting for us".

It IS a scary thought to be onshore watching your ship pull away - always allow plenty of time for traffic, breakdowns, all kinds of weird happenings.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 12:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

It almost happened to this couple in Grandy Cayman. I think we were supposed to be on board by 3pm. At 3pm the captain announces we are waiting for 2 people, and should be leaving shortly. After that they also asked Mr & Mrs XXXXX from Emerald XXX to call the pursers desk. Gee I wonder who was late

10 mins later an obviously very annoyed captain comes on and says Grand Cayman law prohibits him from sailing until everyone is on board, and hopefully they come on board soon. All motors are running and we were on minimal lines so we can get moving asap.

10 more mins, and extremely mad captain comes on and says I'm really sorry but we are still waiting for people who can't tell time. Unfortunately I can't sail without them and it's a straight out run to Cozumel and I can't cut corners, and the current isn't going to help us. I realize people have early excursions and we will do our best.

5 mins later he comes and say "now that everyone is finally on board and hopefully able to read a clock, we can finally release our lines and sail towards Cozumel.

Would have been nice to leave them there as I doubt they even cared they held everyone up. When not on an excursion, I get back to the ship at least 1 hour before we are supposed to.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:35 AM
Admiral

In Ocho Rios two ladies missed the sailing and had to hitch a ride out to the ship. Apparently they were quite large and the comedian on board who witnessed the boarding had a blast describing thier embarkation during his show.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old October 4th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Yeoman

It's happened to me but only in dreams!
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Admiral

On our last cruise the ship was to leave at 7PM and we were to be back on by 6:45.

At 6:15 I get a call asking if my husband is on as their records show he is the only one off the ship and I reply no he is not with me and as far as I knew he was still off ship-10 minutes later they call back and ask me who he is with-and I say ( I think DUH)-he is on his own, I came back to the ship after our excursion because I was tired. He wanted to explore more.

then I start to get antswy-I am thinking surely they will give him until 6:45 but what if he is 6:50 returning! but fortunately he came to our stateroom at 6:35 pm.

By 6:45 we were heading out-so I guess the ship wanted to leave sooner if all PAX were on!
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just returned from an awesome southern caribbean cruise on Crown Princess, great ship. Anyway, in Aruba which was our last port or call, which was last Friday, we where set to sail at 5pm so everyone was to be on board at 4:30pm. We where hanging out on our balcony when I noticed it was later than 5pm and we where still docked. About 5:30pm they started to untie the ship, a few minutes later we saw a couple come running around the corner from Carlos N' Charlies, (Oh yes were where there earlier too, but made it back in time), they where running towards the ship when we saw the security guard stop them. The ship was pulled back to their tie-downs, and the couple was let through security and they where running toward the ship, when everyone (and I mean everyone on their balconies, including my dh and I) were clapping and screaming for them. They happened to be the two luckiest people on that particular day, because they would of been crap out of luck if they missed the ship because the next day was a day at sea so they would of needed to fly all the way back to San Juan where we would be disembarking. I wish I had my digital camera on video for that one.

Jessie
CCL: Celebration 5/07
Crown Princess 10/07

Free Cruise Clocks
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Years ago, I took my parents on 2 cruises, a 3 day to see if they liked it, then a 7 day when they did.On the second one, we took a tour from Cancun to Chichen Itza. The ship tendered at Cancun and, coming back, our tender broke down...VERY glad we had taken ship's tour or we would have been stuck. And, the way my mom was carrying on, I can't even imagine what it would have been like if we had been stuck there. (She was terrified of the water. Big old cruise ship was fine, tender...NOT.)
Marty
Old November 8th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Never happened to me but I have heard of others.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Having seen it on numerous occassions, people dont listen, people dont think. The worst I seen was in Europe when sailing from Italy to Croatia.

We left behind 15 Australian passengers who had booked mini buses to take them on a personal tour.

They arrived 30 minutes after the ship had departed, no passports, no great amount of cash, cards etc, stranded

The ships agents in the port will arrange for you to pick up the ship again, but the cost billed to you for hotels, flights and paper work is incredible.

If you do nothing else when getting off a ship make sure you know when it sails, reduce that by an hour and make sure you or your driver gets you back for then
Old November 10th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Having seen it on numerous occassions, people dont listen, people dont think. The worst I seen was in Europe when sailing from Italy to Croatia.

We left behind 15 Australian passengers who had booked mini buses to take them on a personal tour.

They arrived 30 minutes after the ship had departed, no passports, no great amount of cash, cards etc, stranded

The ships agents in the port will arrange for you to pick up the ship again, but the cost billed to you for hotels, flights and paper work is incredible.

If you do nothing else when getting off a ship make sure you know when it sails, reduce that by an hour and make sure you or your driver gets you back for then
Why did you have to specify "Australians"? Why not just say passengers? mmmmm
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Quote:

Why did you have to specify "Australians"? Why not just say passengers? mmmmm
Graciouse now YOU are getting as bad as davidb is at picking a fight-I would have said the nationality-unless it was americans since I am an American-doesn't mean anything. Just that I noticed the people talked with a diffferant accent then I do. Or are you another persona of davidb and arguing withyourself?
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Ehh, actually I just mentioned the nationality because they were Australian, and the rest of their party numbering nearly 100 where really upset as to what had happened....It was the talk of the ship.

What are you trying to prove here? Plus I don’t pick fights I offer opinion, everyone is welcome to discuss it or give theirs.

If you see me as antagonistic.....good we may debate. But its only my little opinion in all of the rest presented…so why get so wound up when I say something?….. And if some think that my opinion means a FIGHT,,,,,that’s your problem. I just talk or give mine, never a fight
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Ehh, actually I just mentioned the nationality because they were Australian, and the rest of their party numbering nearly 100 where really upset as to what had happened....It was the talk of the ship.

What are you trying to prove here? Plus I don’t pick fights I offer opinion, everyone is welcome to discuss it or give theirs.

If you see me as antagonistic.....good we may debate. But its only my little opinion in all of the rest presented…so why get so wound up when I say something?….. And if some think that my opinion means a FIGHT,,,,,that’s your problem. I just talk or give mine, never a fight
Oh good I like to debate but I don't like to fight. I don't know you personally so nothing I say is a reflection on you as a person. How could it be I don't know you? Remember this when you read some of my other posts.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 19th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Admiral

, its good to talk
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Passenger

i saw it happen in st thomas i believe. the valor had just started pulling away from the dock when we saw these two guys come running down the cement platform waving their arms frantically. i just happened to be standing next to a family on the third deck, and all of a sudden they were like, there's cory and ben! turns out their family beside me thought they had gotten on. lol. the valor drifted a little bit out, and finally the coast guard brought them to the ship. it was the talk of the ship for the rest of the week. even marc price the cruise director poked a little fun at them.
Triumph Jan 1/2006
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Passenger

Simple remedy.

In the daily newspaper 'We're leaving port at 6:45pm sharp. Any passengers not onboard by 6:30pm will be charged $1000 per minute lateness. Have a lovely day ashore - and we look forward to billing your onboard account if you're late back... and we have your room key, too'.'
Old December 16th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default YIKES!!!

I have a HUGE concern! I leave TOMORROW for a cruise, I just looked at my reserved Excursions- I booked online. Two of them cut EXTREMEMLY close to the departing time!

In Antigua we have a canopy tour reserved, paid for on the RCI site... it starts at 1pm- ends at 5pm... and RCI departs at 5 PM!!!!!!!!
How on earth can it get back at the time the ship is departing!!!???

ALSO we reserved a biking excursion in St Kitts- 1:45-4:45pm... Ship leaves at 5pm!!!!!

Does RCI know if a certain excursion has not come back yet?? Do they only leave people who were on their own??? I sure hope so! I mean i feel bad for those people, but if you are on your own, its your fault- if you have no control like me on this excursion than RCI should hold the ship!!

HELP - advise ASAP I leave Dec 17 for PR!
Old December 16th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If it's a ship's excursion they hold the ship until all tours are back.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/