Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I know someone who got home from an Alaskan cruise and was complaining because they didn't get to go swimming on the ship because it was too cold! They also had to go buy clothes - they had packed mainly shorts and t-shirts. I could NOT convince them that this was normal. "I know it was Alaska, but it's usually at least 75 there every day in June!". Same people told me to expect highs of 75 in Orlando in June - so I don't travel with them!

Terri
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Be Prepared-do your homework!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
Ok, folks, who here books a trip and by the time departure time has arrived you have done enough homework to know whatever you need to know for your trip to make it truly enjoyable? I do, folder and printouts in hand.

I read a post where someone grumbled about having a hard time finding the restaurant and how the layout of the ship didn't work. Did they do their homework? No. Do look at the deck plans of the ship before you go because it does help to have an idea of where everything is and how to find the elusive aft dining room. Why not take the brochure with the ship layout in it so you have another reference source, it works!

I know someone who is going on a 10 day cruise with their spouse in late November. Neither of them know where their cabin is, if it is inside/oceaview/ or balcony, they don't know what deck, they haven't even looked at the ship layout, or know much about where they are going. I told her to find out and to get a map of the ship so they know what to expect and where everything is.

Everyone should be prepared and know as much as possible before they go. A good example is a family on the ship didn't know that we weren't going to Jamaica, uhm, hello? APparently they booked a year out and didn't think twice about checking anything else. They discovered the day they sailed that we weren't going to the Western Caribbean and that the route was switched--this particular route change was announced early this year. They never bothered checking their tickets, nor did they check the website and see the route changed.....HOMEWORK folks.....I think they were complaining the most, but if you don't look, you can't ***** because it is your own damn fault!

Ok, I'm done
That is one thing nice about these messegeboards is you learn all that stuff and your "homework" is done for you.

For EX we had anytime dinning on the Caribbean Princess-because of what we had read-we knew there was a second dinningroom not in the centrum area-and even though we had to go up one floor and walk over as we could not get directly to it-we did nto mind as we never had to wait for a table-even at 7:30PM the most popular time for eating.

As far as complaining about not even be able to find things- we all know the ships are HUGE now-so everyone should walk the ship after boarding to get an idea where everything is-we always do that-one reason why we love it when we can board before noon. We still may have a little trouble-but before the first sea day is over-we know where everything is-simply because we walk the ship to see where everything is.
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Sometimes homework doesn't work.
The deck plans for the Ryndam showed a laundry fore and aft on our deck. There are even placards showing arrows pointing to the direction of the laundry room...well, there wasn't one there.
I was searching for one at 2am and found one 2 decks higher with the help of the staff.
Before I get flamed for washing clothes at that hour, my wife was ill all evening and it needed to be done. The ship assured me that no one would be bothered if I kept the door closed.