Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennc
So, like DavyB I am in the same boat (as it were!!!!)
I find on this site that if you disagree with one of the "regulars" or say anything "disparaging" then your post is deleted and a "severe" warning is issued.
What happened to free speech?
DavyB I am English and as so respect your Scottish ( notice I say Scottish as supposed to "Scotch" ) sense of humour. I think you would be a hoot to share a table with. This is what we are, this is what you get, like it or change tables!!!!
JennC
PS I am expecting this post to be deleted. It seems it's the norm for me.
Maybe I can get some pointers from you on how to insult the Colonials without getting deleted!!!!!
Scotch is a liquor right? or candy? (I always loved butter scotch) I would never call a Scottish person a scotch.

As far as my being a "colonial," I am an American. My heritage? A small part IS English, one of my ancestors sailed to Jamestown in 1609. But I have more Irish and native American in me than English. I think the native American qualifies me as not being a "colonial," as some of my ancestors were already here before anyone English stepped on American soil. I also have French, Scottish, Dutch, and Scot-Irish in me.

Anyway, I suppose if I am a "colonial" than you are a Norman. Which would make you French, right?
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Let’s not go there folks, we are one happy clappy cruise loving board.

ps
Never call me Jock, oh and never say "your accent is so interesting" It’s not, it’s just how I speak, and write, and give an opinion 8)

People calling me Scotch I put down to ignorance, but I get where Jennc is coming from,,and respect.

Question: I am Scottish, Jennc is English, and we can hear that when talking to each other. In the "states" do folks react or think different when hearing or dealing with another’s accent and from their own country??

Do people have pre conceptions when they hear another USA person’s accent?

I do for the USA, but that’s the movies that gave me that....What am I talking about,,,mmmm,, certain places in the states I would not go to,,,just in case...... One I don’t do denim, I don’t do denim and bibs,,,as I may hear Dingla Ding Dong music on a banjo in the background and have some fat bloke saying to me "squeal like a piggy boy" When I had just stopped for gas

There must be pre conceptions about peoples accents even in the USA

Jennc, take this from the person who has been banned more than most,,,just give opinion, its great and welcome. But DONT go 1 on 1 with others giving theirs, dont take it personal,,,,and let rip that was my problem,,,making it personal
Old August 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB

ps
Never call me Jock, oh and never say "your accent is so interesting" It’s not, it’s just how I speak, and write, and give an opinion 8)

People calling me Scotch I put down to ignorance, but I get where Jennc is coming from,,and respect.

Question: I am Scottish, Jennc is English, and we can hear that when talking to each other. In the "states" do folks react or think different when hearing or dealing with another’s accent and from their own country??

I do for the USA, but that’s the movies that gave me that....What am I talking about,,,mmmm,, certain places in the states I would not go to,,,just in case...... One I don’t do denim, I don’t do denim and bibs,,,as I may hear Dingla Ding Dong music on a banjo in the background and have some fat bloke saying to me "squeal like a piggy boy" When I had just stopped for gas

Jennc, take this from the person who has been banned more than most,,,just give opinion, its great and welcome. But DONT go 1 on 1 with others giving theirs, dont take it personal,,,,and let rip that was my problem,,,making it personal
Actually, David, people do make comments about my accent who are from other states of the US. I am from Georgia and whenever I am out of the south, but still in the US, I get comments on my accent. Occasionally people like it and say it is cute-but most seem to think my accent means I am also a moron.

I am sorry David, but that was insulting calling Amercians colonials-most Americans are descendants of multiple cultures, as I am, and actually have very little if any, English in them.

Jennc needs to remember the United States has 50 states, at the time of the revolutionary war-less than half of these states existed-so the majority of what is the US today was never a colony of Britain.

If she makes comments like these,no wonder her posts are deleted.That is why I made the comment about the Normans-I was trying to help her see it does not feel so good when people make disparaging remarks about where you are from.
Old August 7th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:

ps

Actually, David, people do make comments about my accent who are from other states of the US. I am from Georgia and whenever I am out of the south, but still in the US, I get comments on my accent. Occasionally people like it and say it is cute-but most seem to think my accent means I am also a moron.

I am sorry David, but that was insulting calling Amercians colonials-most Americans are descendants of multiple cultures, as I am, and actually have very little if any, English in them.

Jennc needs to remember the United States has 50 states, at the time of the revolutionary war-less than half of these states existed-so the majority of what is the US today was never a colony of Britain.

If she makes comments like these,no wonder her posts are deleted.That is why I made the comment about the Normans-I was trying to help her see it does not feel so good when people make disparaging remarks about where you are from.
BTW, David, I don't think your picture of America is realistic anymore. Hee-Haw went off the air over 20 years ago-and even then, it was outdated.

I do wear jeans-but I have never had a pair of bib overalls. Now I did dress my daughter in "Osh Cosh by Gosh" (google it-it is a brand of toddler clothing) twenty plus years ago. So the last time she wore bib overalls was in 1988 at age 4.

I do remember back about 15 years or so ago-it was a fad among teens to wear overalls and to leave one strap unbuttoned, falling down. That fad was soon over though. Along the same time, the fad started for teen boys to wear the too big pants with their underwear showing-unfortunately that fad is still going strong.

Funny thing though, I saw this same sad fad in France last week. I could not believe it! those poor little French kids, copying such a pitiful "American" thing???????????

BTW-I do not partially enjoy the banjo either.
Old August 8th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Admiral

"I am sorry David, but that was insulting calling Amercians colonials-most Americans are descendants of multiple cultures, as I am, and actually have very little if any, English in them".

Not arguing the rich and diverse nature of today’s America, that’s a given.

But it was once known as the colonies and ruled by the King of England, then it changed, Boston tea party the whole nine yards ensued and you are a better society for it.

Yes, using the word colonial is a bit "cheeky" given today’s America, but you cannot dispute as a country / continent before the split into states,,,, it once was a colony of the UK,,,history.

You are not alone, for all our pride and culture, the English just see Scotland as an extension of England and wonder why we want devolution or want to be “different”. We are a country, we are a true race just like they are, but they want the control to be with them,,,arrogance and the English can display it better than any race I have come across.

Re America,,,,I just wish my GT GT GT Grandfather had had the money to buy the bits now worth big money today back then ,,,,,joke
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Admiral

David, I have a bit of Scottish, Irish and German in my background that I am aware of. They all wondered over here in the 1700's and were colonials in Pennsylvania. I am now a proud resident of Texas, a place that was never a part of the UK. Down here, a lot of residents wear jeans and many wear boots, perhaps to protect them from the cow paddies.

At any rate, I really don't care where someone's ancestors came from, how they sound when they speak, what kind of music they like or what they wear.
It is what they speak and how they act that really matters.

I do really like that big red tongue.
Old August 9th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
"I am sorry David, but that was insulting calling Amercians colonials-most Americans are descendants of multiple cultures, as I am, and actually have very little if any, English in them".

Not arguing the rich and diverse nature of today’s America, that’s a given.

But it was once known as the colonies and ruled by the King of England, then it changed, Boston tea party the whole nine yards ensued and you are a better society for it.

Yes, using the word colonial is a bit "cheeky" given today’s America, but you cannot dispute as a country / continent before the split into states,,,, it once was a colony of the UK,,,history.

You are not alone, for all our pride and culture, the English just see Scotland as an extension of England and wonder why we want devolution or want to be “different”. We are a country, we are a true race just like they are, but they want the control to be with them,,,arrogance and the English can display it better than any race I have come across.

Re America,,,,I just wish my GT GT GT Grandfather had had the money to buy the bits now worth big money today back then ,,,,,joke
In 1776 there was a colonial America. But then with the help of France the colonies became independent. Colonial America disappeared and has not existed in over 200 years.

I live in Georgia, so are you now going to tell me I am a confederate also? Not hardly, and if you did I would find that insulting also. I am not Granny form the Beverly Hillbillies- I know the south lost-- and my passport says I am a citizen of the United States of America. That is an official document recognized by countries all over the world-so it must be true!

BTW-although I now live in Ga, my mother's family was from Wyoming. My father's family was from Mississippi, which although that state was a British colony at one time, she wa a colony of France first. Or at least her first European settlement of her was French.

So the way I see it, I never was a colonist.
Old August 9th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B
David, I have a bit of Scottish, Irish and German in my background that I am aware of. They all wondered over here in the 1700's and were colonials in Pennsylvania. I am now a proud resident of Texas, a place that was never a part of the UK. Down here, a lot of residents wear jeans and many wear boots, perhaps to protect them from the cow paddies.

At any rate, I really don't care where someone's ancestors came from, how they sound when they speak, what kind of music they like or what they wear.
It is what they speak and how they act that really matters.

I do really like that big red tongue.
Paul, I guess JennC would call you Mexican since Texas was a part of Mexico at one time.

David, actually I suppose you could say England is ruled by decedents of a Scottish king. When Mary Stewart's son became King- after that England had Scottish kings-and even though Queen Anne died without children and so England came under the Germans, the only reason they were chosen was because one of James' daughter (or was granddaughter) was married in to that house of Germany-so we can still say England is ruled by Scotswoman huh?-! Even if she is more German than Scottish or English.
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Passenger

Default Table mates

I have had so many nice table mates over the years, but..
First off why is there a sidebar going on midtopic about some troll?
Anyway I've met some amazingly nice people on cruises. My dining room waiter on my first cruise and I are still in touch after 13 years and no it was not a romantic connection. After we excahnged phone numbers--this was pre email, people, I ended up going to and staying at his place in Barbados while he was actually on vacation with wife and daughter. They greeted me at the airport, got me settled in and then went on vacation. Then got back the day before I left and bought me back to the airport. Also his cousin was volleyball coach at UPenn and he and his girlfriend were my tour guides.

i also met 4 guys in line to embarkation in 1999 and we have akll stayed in touch. One of them went on a cruise with a group of me and my friends in about 2006. he met his later wife on a cruise.

Oh, i also got engaged to the Chief Steward, but that is another story...
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Bet it was
Old September 16th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Passenger

Default love tablemates what to do if we don't

on our ,1st cruise,we did anytime dining and were seated with a different group every night while most of them were very nice but you nrver got to know anyone. Our next cruise we went fixed table for two and had a nice time. Our last cruise we went fixed again and we were seated at a table for six. Our dinners were one of the highlights of our tripPhil and Bunty and John and Ruth became friends. we are trying the same on our next cruise(Golden leaving next Sunday the 20th)I fully expect t o have pleasent dinner compabions BUT what do we do if it is not pleasent
Old September 18th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Admiral

It is always pleasant and only becomes unpleasant if you allow it. If folks cant sit and eat and talk and find common ground, then God help us.

We can appear at a table as strangers, but we can leave it X days later as friends or with respect for each other. That's the positive spin, and in my experience it wins time after time and is the experience of most cruisers.

But if its really bad and you feel you dont fit with this table,,,then in ask to be moved, but dont go back to just doing your own thing in bufffet etc, keep in the social dining experience. I have met, laughed and cried with people I would never have met in my life if I had not dined at a table in the ships dining room
Old November 20th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Beginner

Default Your BEST tablemates

I have enjoyed tablemates from other countries, the most fun were: Australia, Germany, England, Canada, etc. Love to hear about stories from their homelands.

Once on Princess (Hawaii cruise), the wife and I had a private table for two; that was pretty romantic and the Matre D was always very helpful to keep us from feeling left out. It helps when you are still in love with your wife!

Also love the freestyle cruising where you can go to any restraunt and eat with different table guests at every meal.