Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

View Poll Results: What is your expectation of others when you cruise?
I do my own thing, and dont care about others doing theirs 26 60.47%
I expect people to have the same social values as me 8 18.60%
I never thought about it 9 20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Default What do you expect or do you?

Do you just cruise for you and what you can take personally from the vacation, ignoring the actions of others around you, as its their vacation also?

Or do you go onboard with expectations that your fellow passengers will all think and act like you regarding dealing with others?

In other words do you get disappointed with the fellow passengers that your cruise line has presented you with, having paid your good money??
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

As long as thier good time does not adversly affect my good time, I really don't care what other people do on thier cruise. To clarify, my good time is not impacted by what someone else wears, how much they eat, how long they laze by the pool, where they go on excursions, how much they imbibe or most other legal activities they may participate in.

However, if they are loud and obnoxious, puke all over the place, jump over board (thereby stopping the ship) make noise that interfers with my sleep and the like, that is a problem. I frown on people being jerks, even if thier jerkness is centered on others, but such is life. I won't allow someone elses attitude shape my own.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:36 PM
Admiral

I try to be friendly and expect those I meet to also be friendly. I have very rarely been disappointed. On a cruise, you can be great buddies with total strangers.

Live and let live and you will live longer.
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Thats an interesting statement thasic, "I won't allow someone elses attitude shape my own".

You may not allow it to shape your attitude, but what do you do as a person, as an individual when what is presented to you from others goes against the things that tick yours and others boxes having spent all this money to be there, eh... ie

This is not what I expected..............so

God I have to live with these people for X days...I dont like it.
If everyone acts and reacts like this, my vacation is wasted..... dont like it

How do people in that postition react? Well in my opinion they usually blame the line or ship for placing them amongst other people that do not think or act like them. What did they expect?

And it appears its dealt with in four ways. Number 1, you let it fester in you, then take a stance of I wish I had said or done something at that moment in time regarding these people, but I didn't........ but it's easier to complain later on a web board.

or Number 2, I said something at the time and all hell broke loose, yes it gave me a vent, but it still killed my experience as I got so wound up about it, it wasted or nearly wasted my cruise.

Or number three you go onboard anyship with the attitude that everyone will not think, act or have the same values as me. So I will take all presented for what it is and enjoy myself.

What I believe is, always do your own thing and take your own personal expectation on a cruise knowing that others do not always act or think like you, dont expect them to.

Oh and number 4.... I / We just stayed quiet, we never complained but hated it, and will never cruise again

mmmmmmm....So why is it that the posts generated now in complaint are mostly about other passengers, and how "others" act or react on a cruise, and very rarely about the lines and the product they offer.............thats the thought behind this and also the truth regarding how some people react to what is presented.
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:43 AM
Admiral

You can't control another person's behavior just your reaction to it. I agree if your behavior doesn't impact my cruise do what you want. If you puke in the elevator and I slip and fall that impacts my cruise and I'm not happy. Luck for me on that occasion I let other people board the elevator first and she slipped but didn't fall. That was gross but I still had a great time on that cruise.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:51 PM
Admiral

My answer was #3.

Having been married for 27 years and done many things in many places I stopped bothering to notice a long time ago.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Thanks folks, so at this point tonight we have 81% of people voting and feeling that they either 'Do their own thing' 60% or 'they never thought about it, ie others (21%)' when going on a cruise.

Not surprised by any means, thats how it is today

So any other oldies out there expecting 'understanding', in that others will follow the line regarding dress code, behaviour, formal dining standards and all that forget it.................It may not be gone yet, but give it another 10 years.

Quite sad actually as all of us still "expect" certain things on a ship. But some of us old timers also lived their lives as individuals, and doing their own thing even back then as people in our day to day lives.

But when on a ship we still expected a certain coming together of all those individual spirits and souls to celebrate why we where there, and in that we expected, a dress code, behaviour, and a presentation of YOU to us as a fellow passenger . And towards that people made an effort, in respect to the others around them.

That common understanding, recognition of the 'ship' rules for the majority of the market has gone, and all you have now are a bunch of individuals doing what they do "My thing" and never really experiencing what cruising actually was,,,,thats sad
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Wow...I got a completely different take from the results.

I got a very positive feeling that most people do not rely on what others think and do.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Admiral

I'm with Dan on this one. Cruising used to be about transatlantic travel, where social class was SOOO important. That carried over into early days of leisure cruising. But, I'm glad to see the old social class structure disappear. Really glad, actually!
Marty
Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

i do my own thing and expect others to do theirs. i however do not put up with disrespectfulness in the dining room at the table or towards the servers. i believe in manners and cannot stand it when sitting with someone flat disrespectful/rude! anywhere else, to each his/her own unless it is affecting me in a direct way.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Nice one cutiecat, see thats the problem today, people doing their own thing to the degree that they can be ignorant not only to other passengers, but the crew as well.

That type of ahole was always there on a ship even back in the dark days. But they appear to be more and more.

Everyone since cruising was invented has always done their own thing, but very rarely to the disadvantage of other passengers or the crew, thats the worrying trend I see growing......I'm all right and to hell with the rest of you...thats not just doing your own thing. Thats a statement others have to live with
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Again...I do not see the results indicating negative behavior.

Perhaps you should have worded the choices differantly.
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Maybe I should have, good point.

But I am not talking about the majority of people here, as everyone goes on vacation to do their own thing. But in doing so and doing your own thing, you hope that other people will do the same with regard for others as most reasonable people will.

Unfortunately, the ones who could not care how their actions or reactions impact on others on ship seem to be growing.

Most people do their own thing but also with regards for others. What am I saying...well the "nut jobs" and their children seem to be increasing on every cruise I go on. They dont carry that "switch" regarding social behavior to others.
Old November 5th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Ya kinda hit one point with me.
I am sick and tired of listening to kids scream in restaurants, stores, airports, etc. as their parents say "shush" and such.
I say "take em outside until they can shut up". (My folks did)
Parents always get offended but I hear many comments agreeing with me.
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:01 PM
First Mate

Default Your rights, my rights

The philosopher, Kant, cleared defined rights. Your rights end at the tip fo my nose and my rights end at the tip of your nose.

This includes my ears too, along with pushing, shoving, etc!

I will not tolerate crude and foul language around my wife or grandkids.
Fear being hit by the loudmouth? No, I hit back.

Much of today's "Can't we all jsut get along" crowd fear retaliation.

If more of us refused by our silence to allow the low lifes of this world to get away with their antics, they would quickly begin to learn manners.
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Passenger

Yes, I think the wording of the choices is what has several of us scratching our heads at the OP's responses.

I took the question to mean: Do you let the behavior of others ruin your good time? My answer to that is: No, I do my own thing--meaning that I'm able to, for the most part, tune out those around me that are behaving offensively (but I do have a line that you better not cross).

From the OP's responses, I think he interprets his question to be: Are you an obnoxious buffoon who will do as they please on a cruise and not worry about how it affects others? My response to that is: I will most certainly not be the passenger on a cruise that others go home complaining about--you probably won't know I'm there.
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Admiral

txsloth,
I think you nailed it.
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Admiral

So given today’s you "do your own thing" society and kids running around not only on a ship but in everyday neighbourhood…and life with one or maybe two if they are lucky parents at home that could not give a toss about how they live or act,,,,,,until you react or chastise one of "theirs", then they care…oh dear

How do you and I .......and I mean this word as it is explained in the Oxford dictionary react to the word or tone "tolerance"

See I'm trying to have a nice vacation, being social and understanding of my fellow passengers, I RESPECT OTHERS as THEY understand those rules as well, but in today’s society and the cheap availability of cruising .... How do you or I deal with the numb nuts in life that don’t get that code or even think about it?

They are cruising more and more, as it’s a cheap vacation with all you can eat and personal responsibility for some in only the price they paid and no reflection or thought on others who happen to be there at the same time.
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Passenger

What exactly are you responding to now? It sounds to me like you may need to save up for a luxury line.
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Admiral

What I am responding to is.... that you cannot drag some people out of the Sh*t lives they lead as parents or adults in their normal day to day life because they got a CHEAP CRUISE" and then expect them to become a socially acceptable person to others....especially when they do not live these same social values at home towards others.

Big excuse, we are on vacation, that covers a multitude of anti social behaviour.
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Admiral

I do not condone ill mannerisms and will speak up to bring it to the person's attention. I am well behaved when on a cruise and I expect the majority of the people to do the same.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 10th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
What I am responding to is.... that you cannot drag some people out of the Sh*t lives they lead as parents or adults in their normal day to day life because they got a CHEAP CRUISE" and then expect them to become a socially acceptable person to others....especially when they do not live these same social values at home towards others.

Big excuse, we are on vacation, that covers a multitude of anti social behaviour.

Been reading your posts on this topic and others. I take it that you don't go on cruises anymore? I am sorry .... sounds like you have had miserable cruises buddy. Thats too bad because I am sure you would be a real joy to sail with. However, I do enjoy your posts because they improve my vocabulary.
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB

Been reading your posts on this topic and others. I take it that you don't go on cruises anymore? I am sorry .... sounds like you have had miserable cruises buddy. Thats too bad because I am sure you would be a real joy to sail with. However, I do enjoy your posts because they improve my vocabulary.
Rick,
He has many more interesting posts.
I've just forgotten the names he used.
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Your complaint about the attitude found on cruises may be correct, I don't know, I haven't been cruising very long. Your attitiude seems a bit elitist, as if you do not wish to be bothered by the lesser class of people in the world.

I don't know if that is what you meant, but if the 'common man' is not your cup of tea (nothing wrong with that), cruise on an elite cruise line. The common folk choose inexpensive lines to travel on. The tuxedo crowd is free to cruise there as well, but expect to mix with the blue jeans crowd.
I find the world is made up of many types of people. I try to find the good in whoever I'm with. A bit pollyana maybe, but that's how I am. There are some people I don't care for. I avoid them. I certainly won't let them ruin my vacation or any other aspect of my life.

As for me, I choose to cruise on the mid range family lines, Disney, Royal Carribean and the like. I prefer the crowds that choose these lines and I find the price palatable. Likewise I avoid Carnival and that ilk (I have never cruised on Carnival, but I know people that have and I trust thier opinions). Loudest flatulence contests and biggest beer bellies are not my idea of a fun time. I also avoid the high end cruise lines since I don't take well to people that are bigger snobs than me. To each his own. If you can't or won't pay the price of the elite lines, you will just have to put up with us common folk, sorry.

The cruise industry has changed over the last decade or so. The new cruise lines are trying to attract a larger customer base. They are trying to appeal to the middle class. There are just not enough 'rich' people (whatever that means) to keep all these ships going. There are still niche lines that were designed for people of "more refined tastes". You get what you pay for.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Rick or Admiral Rick…that’s very important position... people take stock of that! Well done you

So in reply, what exactly in reply are you ASKING me or alluding too?

I'm pleased that I can help your vocabulary, but sad that you TOTALLY missed the point of the post.

I still cruise and how you could think I don’t from my words or experience ,,,mmmm

I am taking about people and the variety of them with varied social attitude to others that you now get on "BULK LINES".

A lot of people think a cruise is "special"...its not anymore especially on some lines, due to the cheap price and the mass market appeal, You will still experience like minded people to you on ship, but more and more an increase in level of nut jobs that at home you would not even give the time of day to. Why?

Due to how they and their family live their social values, including how their children dictate to them, or are ignored or basically no education or direction on how they in their lives, act or react to others. Social skill...

That’s my problem, you do your thing, I will do mine….but please do not ignore that your thing could waste my vacation as some do not even consider their action against or expect a reaction in others…….Oh we are only having fun in some peoples eyes, and how it it seen

That’s the problem
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Dav...or whatever
Did you leave out a couple words in your post?

Like...do NOT ignore....?
Slow down, man.
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Nice reply,,,tells a lot, and your reaction to the post was? And not just the typo...how sad!

When you post more then twenty words in a row things like that can happen,,oh well
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Admiral

My point was...I can not tell what your point is...
Just trying to help, jerk.
Old November 17th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Admiral

So I am now a jerk,,mmmm... is that not a personal attack on me? Well it might be in some people eyes, but in this case I will ignore it.

I can do a lot of things, but I cannot give you the ability to interpret or read other peoples words in a way that makes sense in your brain....sorry.

That’s my disclosure on anything I think or post
Old November 17th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Admiral

I meant that your lack of puncuation and incomplete sentences make it very difficult to understand what you are trying to say.

Of course, you cannot take anything at face value but need to make an inappropriate comment.

Tell ya what...let's not respond to each other again.

Does this board have "ignore" capability?