Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:13 PM
Admiral

ready2board, that was a really nice experience and pleased for you, but in my experience on last day they just want you out of there, to get ready for the next lot.

Yes, we may all see examples of this, "loved you for a few days",,,,but IN REALITY its now please go away, as your tip replacement is about to board.

And to be honest I cant blame them, they are there 365x7 making a living, and we drop in and out for a few days at a time, a very small part of their WORKING lives.

AND, if they want to make the same or more money on the next sailing, it it to those yet to come onboard that they are thinking about, not those they already have the tip from in the "bag".

Its sad and reality, they will meet someone like you and me week after week, we aint special to them.

There is another scenario and your full tips were already there and included for them before you even started the trip,,,mmm. Thats another thread and one I will never be a part of, paying for service before I get it.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
ready2board, that was a really nice experience and pleased for you, but in my experience on last day they just want you out of there, to get ready for the next lot.

Yes, we may all see examples of this, "loved you for a few days",,,,but IN REALITY its now please go away, as your tip replacement is about to board.

And to be honest I cant blame them, they are there 365x7 making a living, and we drop in and out for a few days at a time, a very small part of their WORKING lives.

AND, if they want to make the same or more money on the next sailing, it it to those yet to come onboard that they are thinking about, not those they already have the tip from in the "bag".

Its sad and reality, they will meet someone like you and me week after week, we aint special to them.

There is another scenario and your full tips were already there and included for them before you even started the trip,,,mmm. Thats another thread and one I will never be a part of, paying for service before I get it.
I agree with the tips before you sail unless they are part of the packages you see now. I preder to make my decision based upon the service. I will say tis though I have always received outstanding service on every cruise, and have never changed the tips lower. I have alway given more. I usually add it in cash in the envelope, because I do charge the tips to my card, and I don't know when the cruiseline pays them the tips. I have always meant to ask them but forget (senior moments on the cruise). I use to always tip in cash but that has become a real hassle getting the right change tor everyone that I just pay it on the card then add an extra $10 or $20 in cash so they have a little cash right away.

I have found the ones who really appreciate an extra cash tip is the bartender at your favorite watering hole.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Admiral

I am surprised that no one has mentioned this:

We were told that ANY cash we gave as a tip after the service charge was put into a pool to be shared by all of the staff. Don't ask me how the "extra" tip is discovered, this is just what we were told. Maybe they have an effective honor system.

So we wanted to do something special just for Setya, our steward.
We asked around and were told that prepaid phone cards are a great gift because the crew has to hit the shore pay phones to call home.

We gave him 6, 100 minute cards and he seemed genuinely happy and appreciative.
He told us he would use half of the cards to play poker with the others.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
I am surprised that no one has mentioned this:

We were told that ANY cash we gave as a tip after the service charge was put into a pool to be shared by all of the staff. Don't ask me how the "extra" tip is discovered, this is just what we were told. Maybe they have an effective honor system.

So we wanted to do something special just for Setya, our steward.
We asked around and were told that prepaid phone cards are a great gift because the crew has to hit the shore pay phones to call home.

We gave him 6, 100 minute cards and he seemed genuinely happy and appreciative.
He told us he would use half of the cards to play poker with the others.
Good idea! But I did ask about the cash tips, and was talod that they get to keep the cash tips. The bartenders told me that the 15% on the drink tabs except for bottles of wine sold in the dining room is split between all the drink servers evenly, but any extra either cash or added to the bill is kept by that server only. The bar managers also get a piece of the 15%. Can't say I would trust the company here as to how much was taken in the bars on a cruise. There would be no way I could check the true figures. Is the company charging a handling fee?
Old August 2nd, 2008, 01:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I know for a fact that on Holland America the additional tip is retained by the individual "IF" the person who gives the tip has not removed themselves from the automatic gratuity.

This article from CM gives a bit more information: Note: It is about two years old.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/.../tipping06.cfm

On all cruise lines, where tips are pooled, there is a list of people who have asked to have their tips removed from their onboard accounts. This list is sent out on a daily basis to the housekeeping and wait staff.

If the crew-person is not allowed to keep the tip and pockets it, they will eventually be found out. It's a small world below decks. Pocketing the tip is grounds for termination.

The other interesting thing that I have found out is that most people who ask to remove have their tips removed from their onboard account so they can tip in person, never do.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 2nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Odd...it was on HAL that I was told the extra tips have to go in the pool.

First, was a bartender that I was giving a couple bucks extra on each order (I tip for the "next" drink). The other person who told me that was the gal behind the desk whom I had asked for the envelope.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Admiral

So Mike, are you an advocate of tips all included?

Me. I'm not one those you describe that ask's for auto tip to be removed and then gives nothing to those that gave me service. But I do appreciate there are cheapskates out there that do that,,,should not be allowed on the ship in my opinion.

For me this is a service thing, give to those that worked for it.

Maybe like Cunard, who have no auto 15% added onto every drink you buy, we should be again looking to the price to cruise on this ship, a price that is up front and folks can either or not afford.

Right now some folks think it’s a cheap vacation, but do not appreciate the 'hidden' costs involved. Some others just take the cheap 'bulk' price presented with no intention of drinking or gambling or tipping anyone and they just take the piss,,,

OH 7 days at sea, food 24x7 included and a bed and all for ridicules money.

GET THEM OFF THE SHIP, I am not their subsidy to a 'cheap' vacation