Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Passenger

Default Room steward

Just got back from RCCL on Mariner of the Seas and our cabin steward was nice until the last night we gave him the voucher for his tip, which was the recommended amount and after that never spoke to us again. When he would see us the usually friendly comments were gone. Guess he got his money and thought he could be himself. had i known this he would have gotten nothing from me.
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Admiral

That’s expectation for you; don’t beat your self up on this one. The people to blame are the people who do the employment and then give expectations to some crew as to how THEIR poor basic salary or pay will be compensated by passenger’s tips. And based on or motivated by the "fact " of delivering of service, do it well and you will make plenty of money...well in the employers eyes thats the "pitch" to make them work.

You met the guideline, you did your bit. Well done

But as I say it’s still expectation, and why place that burden in what a person can potentially earn onto the shoulders of the people doing the job and the “expected? generosity of those passengers presented to them to serve.

I could bust my nuts in that scenario and then get a basic tip, really good tip or no tip at all,,,,,as they are so tight, mean or whatever or maybe even poor and should not cruising as they have already spent all their dollars. So I get left out and from its just bye.

Give me another walk of life or employment that can decide or determine that your potential income is based on the mood, generosity or income of others when you have already provided a service and done your job.

Tooo risky for me 8)

Thanks… good post, and again you did the decent thing. Well done. The reaction is sad, but maybe as an individual this person had been stuffed by others in the weeks leading up to you being on there. No real excuse for them, but I understand the frustration.

Then again this one may have been an as@@ole, that you also have to take into account and in their view....bring on the next mugs 8)

No real answer, maybe a combination of both. Bottom line is these people are striving to make a living, they are not on vacation and we are not their employers, but some lines nearly make us that way
Old December 13th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Room steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorrea2001
Just got back from RCCL on Mariner of the Seas and our cabin steward was nice until the last night we gave him the voucher for his tip, which was the recommended amount and after that never spoke to us again. When he would see us the usually friendly comments were gone. Guess he got his money and thought he could be himself. had i known this he would have gotten nothing from me.
You really did not want to tip did you ? You say he was nice until the last night. Being the last night, maybe he was too busy to talk to you as much as he had. Did he attend to your needs and do a good job during your cruise? If the answer is yes, then he deserved the tip.
Old December 13th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Having experience this once, we now give him/her their tip envelope in the morning on our way to breakfast or after. They are always around getting the other cabins ready.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
Having experience this once, we now give him/her their tip envelope in the morning on our way to breakfast or after. They are always around getting the other cabins ready.
experienced what once?
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Admiral

We experienced exactly what the OP experienced, a change in the cabin steward's friendliness and attitude once he sees he is only getting the recommended tip.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Come on, these cabin stewards are friendly because that is how they earn thier pay. Did you really expect that some guy or gal that has been cleaning your toilet and making your bed for the last week while you're boozeing and cruiseing was going to become your lifelong chum? Really?

The person got paid and was done. If he/she chose to not finish his/her duties after getting paid. you have a right to gripe. If he/she just became aloof, so what? Your tip is for PREVIOUS service, not service after the fact. Get over it.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Passenger

This has happened to other people 'once'????.

It *always* happens - and we've tipped the 'onboard gartuity' *plus* the same amount in cash in an envelope. Next morning - you don't even get a smile and a 'good morning'. But...... next time you board - and you see the same staff - they're all smiles again. And, once again, you tip the same on the last evening - and the next morning they're 'sullen'.

It's almost become a fascination to us..... to see how two faced they are.
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Passenger

Default Good to know

Well at least I know what to expect and yes Rick i did want to tip which we always do. I just expect respect just as it was given to them. Even the other room stewards told us good by that were not even ours. Guess i am just a true southern girl, treat others as you want to be treated.
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Some of it also likely has to do with Disembarkation/embarkation day is the toughest day of the week for housekeeping staff. They work particularly hard that day having to strip every cabin, and make certain there's no evidence of the previous week's guests.

On many lines they are also involved in collecting luggage of those leaving the night before, and delivering the new guests luggage.

Working that hard it's not always easy to be cheery. I know I wouldnt be.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 14th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Admiral

exactly Kuki,,,gee these folks are human as well, any of you ever had a bad day at work?

Because you are in service to others, does not mean that you are not human.

You try painting a false face on for X number of days you do your work.

False being the word, they dont know you, they dont care about you. You are but a good or bad experience in their work for that period
Old December 14th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Passenger

Default Cabin steward

But to not even speak to you when you leave and they are standing there in the hall...no thats just plain rude! And i have had plenty of bad days at work but have never treated anyone like that.
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cabin steward

Quote:
But to not even speak to you when you leave and they are standing there in the hall...no thats just plain rude! And i have had plenty of bad days at work but have never treated anyone like that.
Other than this very grievous incident, did you have a great cruise
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
..........they dont care about you. ..........
Says it all, really.
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meercat
Quote:
..........they dont care about you. ..........
Says it all, really.
Did you really expect to form a lifelong bond with the Cabin Steward? Because to you he is just the dude that cleans the room and to him you are just one in a long line of passengers he will meet. How much did you expect him to fawn over you?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 18th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Admiral

You people are really working overtime to find a gripe. If the cabin steward does a good job and you tip him, then all is well with the world.

If you had to work as hard as he does, perhaps you might never smile or have a pleasant conversation.

Live and let live and you will live longer.
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005

Are they supposed to care about you? Do you care about people you don't know? I think a lot of people here have never worked a service job that relies on tips. Say what you want, but you don't really understand unelss you've done it before. I've only ever waited tables, so even I can't compare with having to clean other people's rooms and what not. With that being said, when I eat out at restaurants I always leave at least 10%, but I leave 20% if they did a good job. Busting your butt and only getting the minimum in return is a slap in the face.

Old December 19th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Passenger

In any profession, where you care about your customers - then your job is a whole lot better and - it probably means you're doing your job better - because - you care.

I must say I was surprised by the original comment of 'don't care'.

Actually, I found that somewhat out of line with what I've found IRL onboard. It *appears* that staff onboard *do* care. If not, then why the little extras one gets occasionaly which are above and beyond?

Katlady wrote:-

'Did you really expect to form a lifelong bond with the Cabin Steward? Because to you he is just the dude that cleans the room and to him you are just one in a long line of passengers he will meet. How much did you expect him to fawn over you?'

No I didn't expect to form a lifelong bond. That's being pedantic. Having said that, there is a sort of lifelong bond. How come I can go back several years running - and *many* crew members recognise me as I do them?

To me, he (or she) is not 'just the dude'. S/He's somebody who I thank and enjoy greeting/meeting and having a degree of social interaction.

Can you be sure that every passenger is 'just one in a long line'? I bet that's not true when a 'good' passenger comes back, and the room steward/ess thinks ' Great!!! This pasenger is who I *want* to see'.

'... to fawn over you?'. Try the same thing of being unpleasant to a customer in a restaurant after they've paid - and what do you think the result would be? I'd expect at least to leave with a smile and not a sullen disregard. What you sow, you reap....

I've worked in restaurants - and even the customers who have not tipped, I've shown to the door and wished them goodnight etc. Repeat customers (good for the business - even if not for me), and maybe even that customer spreads the word that that restaurant is polite. etc etc.

Thankfully, not all cruise lines treat passengers as cattle to be shoved in and shoved out. But it may go that way.....
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Captain

It sounds like he could have been nicer...But there is always going to be a bad apple here and there. On our last day of our recent cruise on RCCI, our steward was giving us towels and other stuff to take home lol...And yes, that was after we had tipped him.

I think it depends alot on their nationality and culture too. Most people on here will say after he has served you, he really has no duty to be nice to you again...That's pretty much an American way of looking at being a service worker...Do what you have to do, pretend to care only as long as you really HAVE to, then forget the person. However, alot of the nationalities serving on cruise ships have a completely different idea about service work...They do take pride in what they are doing and do care about how you perceive them. Many of these cultures don't have the typical American "whatever" shrug their shoulders attitude about things...especially when it comes to being a service type worker and customer service related issues. Awhile back, I was having problems with my home PC and had to call customer support. The lady I spoke with was in India and most people would say "oh no" once they learn that...She turned out to be the friendliest most helpful customer service rep' I have EVER spoken to...She really did care.

It also cracks me up when people say that it's so degrading that the dining room staff have to sing and dance for passengers. Again, many of these cultures LOVE to do this...With Filipinos especially, singing and dancing is a HUGE thing to them and a way they enjoy making you feel welcome.
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Admiral

I cut hair for 14 years that is a tip service. I will be 100% honest with you there were a rare few customers, who, no matter how much the tipped I hoped to never see them again. There were other customers that could tip nothing and I would still enjoy cutting thier hair. The thing is was my attitude was not dependent on the size of my tip.

However, assuming someone's quiet and subdue demeanor has to do with the size of thier tip can be a mistakenly assumption. They maybe busy, they may have just gotten bad news(death of a family member), and they may just be feeling under the weather. You don't know anyone's thoughts and feels so be careful in assuming you know the reason for the attitude.

The original post was not about a rotten attitude just not a bright and cheery attitude. Calling someone you don't even know "Two-faced" based on lack of evidence maybe something you want to be careful of in the future. By the way interesting word choice with "Pedantic" I would have said finicky.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Room steward

Quote:

On our cruise with HAL the cabin steward was the same thru the whole
cruise including the last morning. Even thou he was busy he still had time to
say hello & good morning.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old December 20th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Passenger

Funnily enough, when you do a synonym lookup on 'Pedantic' in Microsoft Word - it comes up with 'Finicky' at the top of the list.
Now, there's a coincidence!!!
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meercat
Funnily enough, when you do a synonym lookup on 'Pedantic' in Microsoft Word - it comes up with 'Finicky' at the top of the list.
Now, there's a coincidence!!!
Yup I looked it up cause I didn't have a clue what it meant. But, hey that's how you learn new words.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:04 PM
Passenger

Default Tips

I guess you didn't take into consideration the fact that you were ending your cruise and your steward was preparing for the next cruise. He or she was probally up late the night before moviing and separating luggage by co;er, then got up early to assist in off loading the luggage, then started cleaning rooms and preparing them for the new passengers. You were lucky to see them at all, and if you had asked them for something or for help they would have answered your request immediatley. I wish I could be as cheerful and compliant as the crew on a ship is every day like they are, especially knowing that within a couple hours I'm goint to have to start learning a whole new set of names and all their wants, likes and dislikes. I couldn't and wouldn't do it for the little bit of money they get paid, even with tips.
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Heck, for many years cruise lines loved you until the last day, then they acted like they wanted to rid rid of you faster than five day old fish.

I didn't blame them because in five hours they had to make 2000 more people feel like they were the most important people in the world.

This has somewhat changed. NCL now has Freestyle debarkation where you can actually stay in your cabin, enjoy a real breakfast and are not herded off the ship like cattle.

Carnival has self debarkation where, if you want to schlep you bags you can just walk off the ship.

I don't think I remember a steward not acknowledging me on the last day but I know they are "REALLY" busy and I wouldn't blame them if they didn't.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:30 PM
First Mate

On our last cruise and on the way to the gang way to disembark, we heard our names called and turned around to find our cabin steward rushing towards us wanting to shake our hands and wish us a bon voyage. Why? Because we simply do not consider the service charge that is applied to our account each day as his "tip. To us it is a service charge no different than port fees.

As far as we are concerned, because our cabin steward treated us in a most professional manner, we gave him a gratuity and for that he was appreciative.
Old July 30th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Admiral

I think Kuki hit it on the head. Turn around day is all business. On the Dawn Princess we had a great little gal cleaning the room who was all smiles. The last day we were slow getting out of the cabin, and she told us it was time to leave clearly not happy. We understood and I tipped her based on the ten days work not turn around day. Mike
Old July 31st, 2008, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Final day, these guys are under pressure and you are just history as the next lot are about to board.

Cant blame them
Old July 31st, 2008, 04:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
Final day, these guys are under pressure and you are just history as the next lot are about to board.

Cant blame them
I guess that may be true somewhat. But if you take some time to get to know them, ask them about family & life in their country and tip them reasonably, I think you will find them to be great even on the last day. On our cruise last fall, our cabin steward on RCI tracked us down to give us some free towels as a way to say thanks to us (the ones everyone worries about getting charged 25 bucks a piece for or whatever). We also drank a few cokes and several bottled waters provided in our room. He always kept them stocked and we weren't charged for one of them. Of coure, your mileage may vary but I think anyone can get that same kind of service if you are good back to them.
Old August 1st, 2008, 01:00 PM
Admiral

The cabin stewards are individuals, like anyone else. Yes, some lines and some ships are overall just friendlier and give better, more consistent service, but it is still the luck of the draw. I've had incredibly warm, friendly, nice ones and others who were not. We even had one on Princess who never showed up the entire cruise. Literally. We had to call the purser to get ice or clean towels or anything. The point is that, with the exception of the total no show steward, we tip and act the same toward all of them. Some respond, some don't.
Marty