Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 21st, 2007, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Default People's hygeine levels suck

Quoting myself from another thread, as this needs talked about.

I don’t think it too much to ask, why do people not follow these BASIC rules re hygiene or show regard for others.

Again I say............

"GO wash your HANDS………..oh and please cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough in public areas. Half of the ships problems today regarding onboard health would be covered if only people did those things."

I really do not get it, if you have the intelligence to make your money in life in the first place, and then use it to cruise, then that same intelligence should tell you, wash your hands properly after going to the toilet, don’t play with buffet food and please cover your mouth / nose when sneezing or coughing in public.

But no, it’s going to be everyone else apart from you that gets ill, not your problem. To hell with the fact that someone elses cruise is wasted, I;; and money burned.

Why do people do this? Maybe they are just “dirty? people, bad enough at home, but on a cruise ship..mmmm. At least at home they usually only get to infect those that are theirs

I wish they would understand the consequence of their action or lack of it.

If one more person sneezes.. “open not covered sneeze? in front of me again this winter, then sorry I feel I will punch their lights out, fed up with living with the result of just having been passed their infection, due to their inconsideration
Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2007, 02:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

I didn't wash my hands before typing this reply. You're done. Merry Christmas.

Carnival Holiday - Dec 04
Carnival Liberty - Jan 06
Carnival Liberty - Jan 07
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Jan 08
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:00 PM
Admiral

I sneezed on my screen before I could help myself. Hereafter, I will wear a mask while typing.
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Bad Day
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Just stay inside your house.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:48 AM
Admiral

Dayvidb I have one bad habit from haircutting for 14 years. Do you want your hairstylist to sneeze into their hands then start cutting your hair? I always sneeze into my shoulder turning my head away of people. Now that I don't cut hair any more I'm trying to break this habit.

My biggest complain of parents was hearing this line "Susie was to sick to go to school so I that I would bring her in for a haircut." Well isn't that sweet you bought your disease ridden kid it to a place where none of the employees get sick leave. Guess what when we come to work and cut your kid's hair while sick it will serve you right.
Oh by the way I had a parent bring in their kid for a haircut. I said "I'm sorry your son has lice I can't cut his hair." She said "I know that is why I bought him in. His hair is so long I'm having trouble using the comb." I lost my temper on that lady, lice is so contagious and she knew her kid had it. She was trying to trick me into cutting her disease ridden kid's hair. I threw her out of the salon and went through my santization proceduces. Stupid witch (with a capital B). Okay I feel better now. I wonder why I went from being a haircutter to a tax collector by the way I get sick leave now I just don't get sick nearly as much as I use to.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 22nd, 2007, 06:12 AM
Admiral

Kat after all those experiences you are better off working for the state.

Manuel
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 22nd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Katlady don't break your habit; it is actually more sanitary to sneeze into your shoulder than your hands! I mean how often do you shake someone's shoulder - seriously, they had a show on discovery channel or something about that very thing and in schools they are telling teachers and kids to sneeze into their shoulder area rather than on their hands, as kids don't wash their hands but rather wipe them on stuff after they sneeze.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Okay I won't stop then. I don't know I was doing it right. It's just gross to sneeze into your hands then put your hands into another person's hair what do you say "Hey I got you some special gel."

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Does anybody recall the reasoning behind placing buttens on men's jacket's sleeves? I do but I want to see who else remembers. Hint... it has something to do with the nose.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Admiral

To prevent you from wiping snot on your sleeve.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
To prevent you from wiping snot on your sleeve.
is that really true?????

kat - something about Mary
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old December 22nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
Admiral

mbj..it is a fact.

The wrist collars on my jackets when I was in elementary school became rock hard in the winter.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 05:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
mbj..it is a fact.

The wrist collars on my jackets when I was in elementary school became rock hard in the winter.
YUCKY YUCKY
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old December 22nd, 2007, 05:59 PM
Admiral

When you're 8 years old, playing in the snow and your nose runs...you're wiping it on your sleeve.
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Dayvidb I have one bad habit from haircutting for 14 years. Do you want your hairstylist to sneeze into their hands then start cutting your hair? I always sneeze into my shoulder turning my head away of people. Now that I don't cut hair any more I'm trying to break this habit.

My biggest complain of parents was hearing this line "Susie was to sick to go to school so I that I would bring her in for a haircut." Well isn't that sweet you bought your disease ridden kid it to a place where none of the employees get sick leave. Guess what when we come to work and cut your kid's hair while sick it will serve you right.
Oh by the way I had a parent bring in their kid for a haircut. I said "I'm sorry your son has lice I can't cut his hair." She said "I know that is why I bought him in. His hair is so long I'm having trouble using the comb." I lost my temper on that lady, lice is so contagious and she knew her kid had it. She was trying to trick me into cutting her disease ridden kid's hair. I threw her out of the salon and went through my santization proceduces. Stupid witch (with a capital B). Okay I feel better now. I wonder why I went from being a haircutter to a tax collector by the way I get sick leave now I just don't get sick nearly as much as I use to.
I have a friend who owns a salon and is a hairdreser.

One customer he had started on her hair beofore he realized she had lice. He had to stop because that is the LAW here in Georgia. He took the scissors, comb, cape etc. put them in a bag and put them in the hallway behind his shop (just a passageway for employees of the differant shops to take out trash etc. not a place customers had access.) to retreive later to sterilize after the shop closed and as you have probally guessed -someone took the bag. I guess they thought they had lucked out with a freebe! Nice treat they got!
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:42 AM
First Mate

What I love is when folks sneeze into their shirts. You know, they pull it open a bit and sneeze into it. What is up with that? Sometimes a sneeze comes on fast, be prepared, have a napkin, tissue or handkerchief at the ready.
Whatever you do, do not stiffle a sneeze. I love a good sneeze.
Old December 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Momofmeg great story about the thief through he deserve what he got. Your friend got lucky the customer didn't complain about the haircut not being finished. Federal Law mandates a haircut be completed and state law (California) mandates you don't cut someone's hair if they have lice. Federal Law supersedes state law that is why I was so careful about checking chidren's hair before the haircut.

I cut hair in fancy full service salons. But I also I cut hair in places like Supercuts and Great Clips where a lot of parents bring thier kids so I have a lot of experience on how to deal with lice. There was a whole process to sanitize my station with alcohol (chair, mat, mirror, and desktop), sanitize my shears and clippers (trust me, putting $450 scissor into a liquid santization solution didn't make me a happy person, rust ), and sanitize the cape, comb, clips and other equipment used. No lice could live through the process I did. I was the store manager of a Great Clips and the state inspector came into the salon we had zero violations. I'm very picky about santization.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Admiral

When it comes to being in "public" places I pray that others around me think the same way as me in showing courtesy to others,,always think of others.

You can sneeze into a hankie, you can sneeze into the sleeve of your shirt, your tux, your towel or into your hands... and if you sneeze in them please wash them before buffet , But a lot will not, thats the problem. Just dont direct your germs at me when you can stop it.

Better on your shirt than in my face and up my nose or mouth.

Not being a hairdresser,,,,how the hell did we get into that... But can I say I expect a lot of my hairdresser, give me a good cut. 8) But for a person to expect another person to deal with lice ridden or manky hair through their personal hygeine is just another example of my gripe.

My problem is with people that just stand there in front of everyone and blow it open onto the rest of us..that type of person I have a problem with,,,. they dont think its wrong..., maybe they get a kick out of doing it. As sure as hell may freeeze over tonight,,people that do that kind of thing are self centered , ignorant, and arrogant bashstrds. And in conclusion as people "THICK", they dont deserve to be in places that others occupy.

To openly vacate a sneeze, or go to the toilet and then do not wash your hands afterwards, and not thinking of what that could mean to other peoples health. Well I just said what I thought of them or you if you do it.

Cruising used to be about the ability to "afford" to do it.......GONE.

Today... and me I would do questionaires on peoples personal hygeine standards before you got the chance to go on ship to infect others.

I used to have a great laugh at the TV coverage that show Japs walking about with Doctors "hospital mouth masks on" (like M Jackson), then I did one thing, I thought about it. All these people where actually doing was trying to restrict or stop spreading infection. They lived respect to others
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Momofmeg great story about the thief through he deserve what he got. Your friend got lucky the customer didn't complain about the haircut not being finished. Federal Law mandates a haircut be completed and state law (California) mandates you don't cut someone's hair if they have lice. Federal Law supersedes state law that is why I was so careful about checking chidren's hair before the haircut.

I cut hair in fancy full service salons. But I also I cut hair in places like Supercuts and Great Clips where a lot of parents bring thier kids so I have a lot of experience on how to deal with lice. There was a whole process to sanitize my station with alcohol (chair, mat, mirror, and desktop), sanitize my shears and clippers (trust me, putting $450 scissor into a liquid santization solution didn't make me a happy person, rust ), and sanitize the cape, comb, clips and other equipment used. No lice could live through the process I did. I was the store manager of a Great Clips and the state inspector came into the salon we had zero violations. I'm very picky about santization.
actually he may have-only because she was a regular and he did not expect that-(normally he checks first-I believe you are supposed to do that-which is WHY he removed everything he used on her and bagged it up so as NOT to comtaminate others. Then some idiot took the stuff! !

Tha tis the thing about head lice. People thinkif they are clean they won't get them-but I learned the hard way that was'nt true-I know my duaghter brought them home from school and for the first time in my life-at age 35-I had head lice.

That is when I learned everyone in the family should have their own comb or brush-and they ONLY use their own comb or brush. I was in the habit of using my brush on my daughter instead of grabbing hers. I also threatened my daughter within an inch of her life-if she EVER loaned her hair brush (or hat or anything that touched her head) out at school and brought that home again!
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjeff
What I love is when folks sneeze into their shirts. You know, they pull it open a bit and sneeze into it. What is up with that? Sometimes a sneeze comes on fast, be prepared, have a napkin, tissue or handkerchief at the ready.
Whatever you do, do not stiffle a sneeze. I love a good sneeze.
<<<< always sneezes into a clean Depend, gets "double duty" that way......( you post-menopausel, post childbirth gals will know what I mean...lol)
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Admiral

So funny
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Yeoman

Glad you enjoyed it...
Old December 26th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Admiral

<<<< always sneezes into a clean Depend, gets "double duty" that way......( you post-menopausel, post childbirth gals will know what I mean...lol)

Okay I still dont get it, I am neither monopausel or have given birth, will just take it that its a woman thing,,,mmm okay dont need to know 8)

Just as long as what you are doing does not infect me. but I was was only trying to cover "escapes"" in certain areas here.
Old December 26th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Yeoman

I guarrenteeit....it won't "infect" you...lol, let's just say, under the conditions I posted, sneeze = waterworks (occasional). Hey, btw, I still think yer a handsome dude even if you do change your name a lot and won't post a pic for longer than one day.....lol.
Old December 26th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Admiral

MomofMeg I totally agree with you lice has nothing to do with how clean you are. Lice is easy to contract. Okay how many people are now scratching their heads.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 26th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
MomofMeg I totally agree with you lice has nothing to do with how clean you are. Lice is easy to contract. Okay how many people are now scratching their heads.
I think that comes from people who keep lice because they don't clean. the only way to keep from reinfecting yourselves is to srub and vacuum everything-to remove any stray nits.

the best defence agaist them is never to share your hair brush and watch where you rest your head in public areas.
Old December 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:
I think that comes from people who keep lice because they don't clean. the only way to keep from reinfecting yourselves is to srub and vacuum everything-to remove any stray nits.

the best defence agaist them is never to share your hair brush and watch where you rest your head in public areas.
The best defense is to shave your head.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM
First Mate

We once had a rent house next door to us. There seemed to be two familes living in it. In total, three women around twenty five years old, two men around the same age, and four children from two to ten. They all appeared to be free spirits, and the men had long hair. Good folks just a little different.
Anyway, one day they all appeared with shaved heads. At first, I suspected they had joined some cult. Later we determined from talking to the kids, they all had lice.
The lice died and the hair grew back, but it was odd seeing all those un-naturally bald folks next door.
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Captain

Default Re: People's hygeine levels suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Quoting myself from another thread, as this needs talked about.

I don’t think it too much to ask, why do people not follow these BASIC rules re hygiene or show regard for others.

Again I say............

"GO wash your HANDS………..oh and please cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough in public areas. Half of the ships problems today regarding onboard health would be covered if only people did those things."
I agree David
Wash your hands not only for your own well being but for other peoples health

After feeling ill for the past year & being sick for the the last six months the Doctor discovered I had stomach infection ...gotten from poor hygiene .
it is H Pylori https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/h-...958/DSECTION=3

...I do wash my hands after the washroom & even try to avoid public washrooms when at all possible. I will go back to my cabin or hotel room to use the facilities.
I use paper towel to open the washroom door ...women understand this

I carry "wet ones" to use after I have shopped wiping the shopping cart handle...full of germs
So even if you wash your hands you can still get the germs from others that chose not to.

So before you choose not to wash up think of all those you could infect from not doing so.

Just my $$ worth