Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Default Why Can't People Follow Simple Directions????

Whenever the ship pulls into port, the Captain makes the same announcement over and over again -- usually no less frequent than every 15 minutes or so. The announcement goes like this:

Attention Passengers, Please be advised that you MUST carry both your Sail and Sign card as well as your own personal identification in order to leave the ship and reboard.

Now, how many times have you been standing outside in the sun or cooling your heels on an excursion bus while everyone waits for the one IDIOT who seemed to have been oblivious to this announcement. Usually they get right to the front of the line at the gangway to get off the ship and says, "I.D., I didn't know I needed I.D." This also holds up the line while Mr. or Ms. Stupid tries to convince the security guard to make an exception. :evil:

It is sooooooo annoying to me. There is but limited time on these islands or in these cities and to waste 15 or more minutes waiting around for afore-mentioned stupid person to return to their cabin, open their safe, retrieve their id, make their way back to the gangway and get on the back of the long line to leave the ship!!!!

Oh it just gets me how this happens on every ship at every port without fail.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Admiral

I know we are supposed to carry them both but most of the announcements can't be heard inside the cabins.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 30th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

YES! You go girl! While we are at it we can add why don't these blithering dingbats READ the daily activiity sheet to FIND OUT what you need to know for the day such as: ID/S&S, the "last call" time for boarding so the ship doesn't have to wait for those two who forgot to check when the ship left, and also to keep your watch on ships time!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old December 30th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Mr. and Mrs. Dim Wit and extended families are on every cruise that I have ever been on, in one form or another.
Old December 31st, 2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I have never been asked for an "ID" when leaving the ship. It is standard procedure to swipe your ship's card when leaving. I have quite a few cruises under my belt. Your photo automatically pops up when you swipe your card and the cruise line records all entrances and exits from the ship in order to know who is or who is not onboard.

It would be interesting to know which cruise line is asking for ID when you leave the ship.

I HAVE been asked for photo ID when "re-entering" the port area. This is now becoming standard practice.

I have yet to leave the ship without proper ID. i.e. drivers license, passport, copy of passport and the ship's card.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Why Can't People Follow Simple Directions????

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'

Now, how many times have you been standing outside in the sun or cooling your heels on an excursion bus while everyone waits for the one IDIOT who seemed to have been oblivious to this announcement.
Zero.

Carnival Holiday - Dec 04
Carnival Liberty - Jan 06
Carnival Liberty - Jan 07
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Jan 08
Old December 31st, 2007, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
I have never been asked for an "ID" when leaving the ship. It is standard procedure to swipe your ship's card when leaving. I have quite a few cruises under my belt. Your photo automatically pops up when you swipe your card and the cruise line records all entrances and exits from the ship in order to know who is or who is not onboard.

It would be interesting to know which cruise line is asking for ID when you leave the ship.

I HAVE been asked for photo ID when "re-entering" the port area. This is now becoming standard practice.

I have yet to leave the ship without proper ID. i.e. drivers license, passport, copy of passport and the ship's card.

Take care,
Mike
You are not asked to produce the ID when leaving the ship but as you walk off the gangplank, there is a crewmember standing there as a last reminder to everyone that they must have their id in order to gain entry to the ship's berth. (This is where The Stupid's usually stop and hold up the line!!!)

This is not for the cruiseship's security but the port's security. It is at the gate (or whatever) that separates the terminal from the ship's berth where identification other than a sail and sign is needed. The port security do not have access to the ship's computer so they have no idea if the sail and sign you are holding up is actually yours without an additional piece of id.

In fact, there are a few Caribbean ports where the ID is required to get out of the gate and onto the terminal/island (St. Thomas? Nassau? Barbados? I can't remember). This is probably done to avoid having to deal with the passengers who slip through and onto the island without proper id.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:03 AM
First Mate

Until our Panama cruise in Dec 07, we had never actually been asked for our photo ID, only seapass card when re-boarding the ship or the secure ship area. This time we were asked at a couple ports for photo ID. We had guest relations photocopy our passports a couple times, as the copies got soaked kayaking, rafting etc. They were happy to oblige. What we found 'amusing' were the people who would head for the gangway to leave the ship TEN DAYS INTO THE CRUISE and had to be reminded that they needed their seapass card. Lots of old people on the ship though so memory may not be great. Like the disembarkation frustrations, is it really worth getting real upset over. You are one of the fortunate people who can go on a cruise. Chill, relax, take a deep breath and SMILE!
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Ron

"Mr. and Mrs. Dim Wit and extended families are on every cruise that I have ever been on, in one form or another. "

Very open and honest of you to see yourselves like that Ron, nice one.

Backing up what Mike was saying. Hey for years in port I have got off and on a ship based only on my "ship ID Card", unless you had to meet passport control.

That same ship photocard that I use to buy a beer or open my cabin door will get me back in the dock gates.

So what you are saying is that you now need some other "photo ID"...what would that be? Maybe I need more info as this does not make sense

I have plenty of other photo ID's but none that says I have the right to be on that dock or going towards that ship!

Cant use my passport, as the ship are holding it!
Old January 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Ron

"Mr. and Mrs. Dim Wit and extended families are on every cruise that I have ever been on, in one form or another. "

Very open and honest of you to see yourselves like that Ron, nice one.

Backing up what Mike was saying. Hey for years in port I have got off and on a ship based only on my "ship ID Card", unless you had to meet passport control.

That same ship photocard that I use to buy a beer or open my cabin door will get me back in the dock gates.

So what you are saying is that you now need some other "photo ID"...what would that be? Maybe I need more info as this does not make sense

I have plenty of other photo ID's but none that says I have the right to be on that dock or going towards that ship!

Cant use my passport, as the ship are holding it!
I can't remember all of my cruises but I do remember the last two and each time we were in port, we were reminded that we had to have some for of "positive" id in our possession before we left the ship. Again, it is the rules of several of the port authorities not necessary the ship's rule.

Just recently, I have also noticed that the ship's security also does a pretty through job of "searching" the crew before they are allowed to leave the ship when in port. I have seen the crew have to take off their shoes and empty their pockets when leaving the ship. Don't know why but between the threat of terrorism and the tighter immigrant/passport rules going into effect soon, none of it surprises me.

Now as for chilling, we all have our pet peeves and this one is mine. I am sure you have one just a miniscule.

I don't care for waiting around for people which is why I do not do most ship excursions and why I tend to cruise solo. Sitting around or standing around for nothing wears me out, especially if the sun is blazing and it is 90 degrees outside. On my last cruise, our excursion was in one of those open air bus/trolley things in St. Thomas. In spite of having amassed on deck three by the glass elevators, one person in the group waited until we were all leaving the ship to have to turn around and go back for their id. I know the announcement was made at least twice while we were gathering on Deck Three. I heard it. The rest of us were left to sit in this sweltering hot open air bus on plastic seats for close to 20 minutes. That is a long time when you are hot.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old January 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Thank goodness for "dim wits" and "idiots" Without them, there would not be "smart" people like us.
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Admiral

I agree Rick and If dim wits like me didn't throw some bait out now and then David would be bored stiff!!
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
I agree Rick and If dim wits like me didn't throw some bait out now and then David would be bored stiff!!
Does taking the "bait" make one a dim wit Good one mate
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:31 PM
Admiral

NO-NO-NO-- I was agreeing with David that me and the Mrs. are dim wits. I wasn't inferring David was a dim wit-- It takes special qualifications to be one of the Dim Wit families.
Now David will be on my case thinking I referred to him as a dim wit and it's your fault!!
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:34 PM
Admiral

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0204YFHtHwakAUUCjzbkF/SIG=13cc0rb93/EXP=1199334808/**http%3A//www.wackypackages.org/John_Mann_Website/originals/series7/pictures/dimwitdots.jpg[/img]

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
Admiral

I have never seen the line held up-the person is moved over and an officer explains this to them while people continue "clocking out " with their cards.

This does not annoy me at all. This is just a brand new cruiser who does not know any better. Once you were a brand new cruiser and I am sure you did things that appeared stupid to others. (and maybe even annoyed them!)

why are you so uptight? Gracious! I do believe you need another cruise to "unwind"!
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Ron, Rick..respect .... "Now David will be on my case thinking I referred to him as a dim wit and it's your fault!! "

Nope.. we dim wits have to stick together 8) .

There is some sort of "alien infuenced thing" going on here regarding cruising and how it brings all type of folks together. My recent experiences have concluded that it is US that are the "dim wits" regarding acceptability, behaviour, and manners.

As most of those around us think that what is happening is acceptable...so it must be our fault or our dim wit that is out of line.

Again, respect guys...oh you are catching up so fast with my sense of humor

ps

Can the ultimate cruiser, who has never made a mistake on a ship or in life..Please step forward
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Familiar Face

How bout us Nit Wits gettin a little luv. We are a member of the Wit family also.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Admiral

mmm, Hate these political debates regarding you are either a dim or a nit Whit.... as it is is so hard to tell one from the other in real life.

But if you are one or the other, then fine in my Church
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
I have never seen the line held up-the person is moved over and an officer explains this to them while people continue "clocking out " with their cards.

This does not annoy me at all. This is just a brand new cruiser who does not know any better. Once you were a brand new cruiser and I am sure you did things that appeared stupid to others. (and maybe even annoyed them!)

why are you so uptight? Gracious! I do believe you need another cruise to "unwind"!
Actually I have THREE (3) cruises booked for over the next 5 1/2 months.

Am I allowed my pet peeve or do I have to conform to your way of thinking? My goodness? Aren't you are bit tart.

It is annoying. And no, they are not only new cruisers. More often than not, they are just people that do not listen to the announcements because they incorrectly assume either it does not apply to them or that they don't have to abide by that rule either. :evil:

To be honest, the reason why I ALWAYS have my ID when I leave the ship is because I ALWAYS carry a charge card. I carry ID in case a merchant (or whomever) wants to see ID along with the credit card.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Hey to all the Wits--Half, Dim and of course Nit.
Peace and love to all of them.
And on a serious note, hope everyone has a wonderful and healthy new year with some great cruises in your future.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
Admiral

And to you Ron and the other gripers in this new year. All I can say is "Lang may your lum reek".

In other words.. Long may you and yours have warmth and happiness.

Google it a lum is a chimney, reek is smoke.

Me I'm going back to sit in front of my open fire as the snow falls.

Greetings from Scotland
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
And to you Ron and the other gripers in this new year. All I can say is "Lang may your lum reek".

In other words.. Long may you and yours have warmth and happiness.

Google it a lum is a chimney, reek is smoke.

Me I'm going back to sit in front of my open fire as the snow falls.

Greetings from Scotland
Thank you Deb and I wish you and family the same.
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg

Actually I have THREE (3) cruises booked for over the next 5 1/2 months.

Am I allowed my pet peeve or do I have to conform to your way of thinking? My goodness? Aren't you are bit tart.

It is annoying. And no, they are not only new cruisers. More often than not, they are just people that do not listen to the announcements because they incorrectly assume either it does not apply to them or that they don't have to abide by that rule either. :evil:

To be honest, the reason why I ALWAYS have my ID when I leave the ship is because I ALWAYS carry a charge card. I carry ID in case a merchant (or whomever) wants to see ID along with the credit card.

I am "tart" when I am the one who does't blow a fuse at some poor fellow on his first cruise who does not know any better?

As I said, I have seen it happen but I have never seen the line backed up because of it-usually the person is pulled aside. That never bothers me.

I hope you go on a cruise soon! You need one! Hopefully it is not booked too far away! !
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Usually when that happens the person is pulled aside and the line just keeps moving so no harm done to anyone. And it can happen to anyone not just first time cruisers.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old January 4th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The problem with Dim Wits like me is were get too familar with our routine.

For years we never had to carry ID in ports. In fact the cruise ships used to take and keep your passports for the entire cruise so the ship could clear customs en masse.

It isn't done that way any more - US Ports like St Thomas now require everyone to has ID. Many of us forget how things have changed.

I am guilty - and only saved by the fact that I carry my wallet on shore and so just happen to have my ID with me. Otherwise I might very well be Mr DimWit.

Sorry to slow you down, IB!
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Admiral

If the Dim Wits would bend over, we would be able to see people at their wits-end!
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Admiral

Ok Yes I'm going to confess here!

One of the cruises (not my first one) I walked down to the gangway and realized I did not have my seapass card on me. Had to walk back up to the cabin to get it. But this was no big deal as nobdy got held up because I forgot my card.

When cruising I have a few Handbags to wear.

Dinner/evening bag:
[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_n0eX9HRksAaAajzbkF/SIG=12jsfuj26/EXP=1199623028/**http%3A//www.weddingaccents.com/accessories/images/det/d_5240.jpg[/img]

then there is the deck pool bag:
[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_1we39Ha0oBCD.jzbkF/SIG=12kcjssio/EXP=1199623408/**http%3A//www.wearyourbeer.com/images/CoronaExtraBeachBagBottle.jpg[/img]

then there is the island shopping bag:

So my seapass card is always being moved around from bag to bag throught the day. So one morning when I got down to the gangway yes I realized my card is in the evening bag in the cabin and not in the island shopping bag that I had with me.

Nobody got held up so it really did not matter. Plus I took the stairs back up to the 8th floor so the extra excerise was good for me!

Have a great day everyone!

Sincerely,
CQ

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Admiral

It has never happened to us, We've never been held up by such a 'dimwit.' I agree 100% with everything Mike said in his post above. When you swipe your card, security sees your picture on the screen. When you get back on board, they swipe it again and you are shown as back on. That's how they know who has failed to board and check them out a half an hour before sailaway. In neither case would there be any occasion for delay. No card, no get off -- period. I think more cards are forgotten on Caribbean cruises than on others because there are far more first time cruisers.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
Until our Panama cruise in Dec 07, we had never actually been asked for our photo ID, only seapass card when re-boarding the ship or the secure ship area. This time we were asked at a couple ports for photo ID. We had guest relations photocopy our passports a couple times, as the copies got soaked kayaking, rafting etc. They were happy to oblige. What we found 'amusing' were the people who would head for the gangway to leave the ship TEN DAYS INTO THE CRUISE and had to be reminded that they needed their seapass card. Lots of old people on the ship though so memory may not be great. Like the disembarkation frustrations, is it really worth getting real upset over. You are one of the fortunate people who can go on a cruise. Chill, relax, take a deep breath and SMILE!
I know my husband rented snorkling equipment on the beach in Grand Cayman and they required he leave his cruise card with them-(I guess to make sure he returned the equipment) the silly man (I mean my husband) returned the equipment but did not get his card back and did not realize this until he was back at the tendering dock when he was asked to show his card.

the ship was late leaving that day and I was sweating bullits that he would not get back on ship before the ship sailed-but a ship's officer said-not to worry there were still 500 PAX on shore. A wind had kicked up and the tenders were having a time.

when my husband finially got back on ship I learned the officer was right-he had made it back to the tendering dock before 3 PM as we were told to do (we had come back at 2 PM the first time when he realized he did not have his card and I boarded ship instead of going back to the beach with him)-there was just this huge line of PAX waitng to tender. I think he made it back on ship around 5:30 and we left GC at 6 PM.

Needless to say- I was very irritated with my husband over this. I guess he counts as a fellow PAX. Ofcoure he did not argue with anyone about allowing him back on ship minus his card-he knew HE was the idiot.