Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:05 PM
Beginner

Default too many ports

I traveled on the Carnival Destiny dooing the southern crribbean this past December. I found that having so many port days that by the time the cruise was over that I was completely exhausted from running every day. I never want to do that again. I look forward to having the sea days for relaxation.
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Captain

Honestly the only sub par ship I have ever been on is the Staten Island Ferry.

It has no cabins no entertainment, You have to pay for the food from the cafeteria (which is indoors).

But worst of all they kick me off after 25 Minutes and I got go to work
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old March 19th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Passenger

We went on the Carnival Victory in 2005 and thought it was great. After that we tried the Carnival Liberty and we were only happy with 2 things there. The staff at the Art Auctions and our dining room staff. We had such a problem with our stateroom door not closing all the way and after it was "fixed" our S&S cards wouldn't open the lock. There I was in a towel and bathing suit at the desk trying to explain the problem .....
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by babe ruth
Welll, I think we need to distinguish here between ships that are below par and itineraries that are below par. I mean, a great ship can have a poor itinerary, and a poor ship can have a great itinerary. I thought that here, we were talking about ships (not itineraries) that were below par.

Itineraries are a matter of personal preferences. A ship with a poor lay-out or one that is too crowded is a bad ship on any itinerary.
O.K.,,,you're absolutely correct. We did indeed, get sidetracked didn't we. The ONLY cruise I've taken in the last 4 or 5 years, that I felt was BELOW PAR, was the Mariner of the Seas. Yes, it's an absolutely beautiful ship, but so very, very crowded! You could go nowhere, without a wait! You had to stand in line to go to the public bathroom! All the shows were overcrowded, and all the activities were scheduled so that it was that activity, or nothing! The prominade was narrow to begin with, then they put all the tables full of watches, and other junk they want to sell, so that it's near impossible to walk by. Ride the elevator? Forget about it! Would I sail her again? Only if the price was a giveaway. I much prefer the smaller, older RCI ships.

Ken
"SkyMaster"
I agree Ken. the only thing I enjoyed was the ice skating show and then you had to first get tix then get there so early to get a seat. Give me the Radiance class ships in RCL.
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Not sub par by any means, besides the design.

The Carnival Glory!! That galley in the middle of the ship just messes up the flow so horribly. After a few days you get used to it, but it is a pain at first. Also, if you are in the forwad dining room you get basically a view of the lifeboats....so disappointing.

Read and post cruise reviews

Booked :razz:
NCL Sun - November 2011
Disney Dream - December 2012 *Honeymoon*

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
Carnival Triumph - January 2010
Carnival Glory - April 2007
Carnival Inspiration - July 2006
NCL Star - April 2003
Carnival Sensation - April 1998
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Beginner

Default Carnival Destiny is AWFUL!!!

Worst cruise I have ever been on! The ports of call were great, but the ship was NOT!

First, we were booked with another family and assured that our rooms would be close, and we would have the same table at dinner. NOT. When we complained, nothing was done about the room, and the best we could do at dinner was get another table near us for the entire cruise.

My 16 year old daughter was identified as a Mrs. during the entire cruise, and when we tried to correct it, was told it didn't matter. She bought her beverage card, and all was ok with that until the last night when a bartender said she couldn't use it because it was an adult card! When we questioned that with the purser, she verfied that my daughter should have received a children's card for $10 less, but could not give us a refund! Strange how no other bartender caught this and that she was sold the wrong card (and no, she does not look like an adult!).

The cabin bathroom was moldy, the phone did not work and the rollaway bed we were promised was nonexistent. My daughter (who is 5'5") slept all week on a 5'3" sofa (NOT sofabed) where her feet hung off the end all week.

People on board were totally obnoxious. To the moron woman who insisted on shooting off confetti cannons, streamers and silly string on the main deck in the wind and then just dropping everything and leaving it for us to clean it up-thanks. You are truly a wonder to the human race. To the hoochie mamas on the ship who don't know how to wear a dress without showing their bare butts out the back-you are a wonder to the fashion world. No wonder you are labeled as cheap as your clothing. To the couple having sex in the whirlpool in the spa at 5PM in front of everyone-way to show how classy you are! To the drunk woman who cussed me out at 1:30 in the morning because she was screaming outside my cabin door (along with her friends), I truly hope you know the wonders of being woken up by a totally inconsiderate b**** and then get cussed out. It is truly your fortune that my cabin phone did not work, because I would have called security on you and then called YOUR cabin repeatedly at 4AM to wake you up! Carnival officers did NOTHING about any of this.

Worst cruise I have ever been on! Would NEVER recommend this cruise to anyone!
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Ken, I am booked on Carnival Pride next year on the Panama Canal repositioning cruise to Miami. That cruise has 5 sea days on the Pacific side. It is very port intensive on the Caribbean side. That leaves many days to stay aboard in port to enjoy an empty ship. I am already planning to stay on board in Ocho Rios. After all, how many times can one climb the falls??

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 27th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Passenger

I have learned that opinions of ships are very subjective (as is everything). I've read in the Forum that people love NCL Spirit, yet we didn't care for it at all and I guess everyone we spoke to on our particular sailing seemed to dislike it also.

I've also heard from family members who just returned from the GEM that they didn't care for that ship. We sailed her in Dec and absolutely LOVED her. She is by far the best ship! Food was great and the traffice flow of this ship is so much better than a few of the other NCL ships.

We also loved the NCL Dawn (sailed her twice in 2 months), whereas other family members disliked it (from the food to the service).

The Celebrity Constellation was a beautiful ship, with surpurb service and delicious gourmet food, yet I've heard others say they didn't care for that ship. So, I've come to realize that I take what others say with a grain of salt and I'll give most any ship a try at least once.

I will say, I didn't care for the Carnival Miracle last year and I will admit that it was only for a stupid reason - there were no hand sanitizers anywhere on the ship. I think it's definately a hygeine issue that ALL cruise lines should adopt. That's one thing that I LOVE about NCL. THey do a fantastic job or trying enforce people to use the sanitizers and I think it helps keep the illnesses to minimums.
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaqn
I have learned that opinions of ships are very subjective (as is everything). I've read in the Forum that people love NCL Spirit, yet we didn't care for it at all and I guess everyone we spoke to on our particular sailing seemed to dislike it also.

I've also heard from family members who just returned from the GEM that they didn't care for that ship. We sailed her in Dec and absolutely LOVED her. She is by far the best ship! Food was great and the traffice flow of this ship is so much better than a few of the other NCL ships.

We also loved the NCL Dawn (sailed her twice in 2 months), whereas other family members disliked it (from the food to the service).

The Celebrity Constellation was a beautiful ship, with surpurb service and delicious gourmet food, yet I've heard others say they didn't care for that ship. So, I've come to realize that I take what others say with a grain of salt and I'll give most any ship a try at least once.

I will say, I didn't care for the Carnival Miracle last year and I will admit that it was only for a stupid reason - there were no hand sanitizers anywhere on the ship. I think it's definately a hygeine issue that ALL cruise lines should adopt. That's one thing that I LOVE about NCL. THey do a fantastic job or trying enforce people to use the sanitizers and I think it helps keep the illnesses to minimums.
I must say this is a great post and I agree wholeheartedly, take what people say with a grain of salt!
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Sapphire Princess hands down. I've had one cruise with PCL and will never sail with them again. 7 days to the Mexican Rivera. From the time we stepped on board till the time we got we were ignored by the staff. There were eight in our party. The first night we ate in the dining room the asst. waiter came to the table served us water and we never saw him again, the rest of the cruise. OK. While everyone else was being served we sat at our table waiting. After a half hour we asked " is there a problem with our wait staff" We were told that our entire wait staff "took ill" and the wait staff from another table would serve us. We had a different staff every night.
This behavior continued all over the ship. No service at the bars and Lounges. We had to literally flag down the waitresses. One morning before our excursion DW and I went to the buffet for breakfast, we got a table by the window and put our things on the table (backpacks and water bottles) and went to get our food. When we returned to our table we noticed our things had been moved off the table and onto the floor and two couples were sitting at our table. When I informed them that this table was ours they said no it's ours. I asked about our things and they said those thing were in the floor when we got here. I said OK fine and picked our things up and found another table. We were not a roudy bunch and we are all experienced cruisers. This was all of our first time on Princess and the last. We were met with indifference over most of the ship. Our cabin steward did a fine job cleaning our cabin though.
Please forgive me, I usually don't post long like this but there were so many things that happen in those seven days I wanted to give just a little of that experience.
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Admiral

The only ship I don't like is Carnival's Sensation. Love the sister ships in that class, but the decor on the Sensation is tacky beyond belief to my eye. I can have a good time on any ship, but that one was a struggle.
Re. sea days, the only time I've had too many for my tastes had 10 sea days. Even though tons of activites had been added, I got tired of being in groups of people and was ready for home.
Marty
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Admiral

How can you not say Carnival and tacky in the same post, be honest

My one experience, loud, tacky, and mmm regarding the fellow passenger experience. But to be fair there are a lot of people out there that want that experience, just not me.
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

As a fairly new cruiser I like the idea of a port per day. I want to see all the Carribean Islands and then be able to choose the ones that I want to go back to!

The reference to a good ship having a bad itinerary is what we experienced on our first cruise. The Carribean Princess is a nice enough ship but only having 2 ports of call and then not being able to stop at Princess Cays because of bad weather leaves a little to be desired.

Chow
Tim
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
skymaster wrote:

O.K.,,,you're absolutely correct. We did indeed, get sidetracked didn't we. The ONLY cruise I've taken in the last 4 or 5 years, that I felt was BELOW PAR, was the Mariner of the Seas. Yes, it's an absolutely beautiful ship, but so very, very crowded! You could go nowhere, without a wait! You had to stand in line to go to the public bathroom! All the shows were overcrowded, and all the activities were scheduled so that it was that activity, or nothing! The prominade was narrow to begin with, then they put all the tables full of watches, and other junk they want to sell, so that it's near impossible to walk by. Ride the elevator? Forget about it! Would I sail her again? Only if the price was a giveaway. I much prefer the smaller, older RCI ships.

Ken
"SkyMaster"

I agree Ken. the only thing I enjoyed was the ice skating show and then you had to first get tix then get there so early to get a seat. Give me the Radiance class ships in RCL.
For the guy here that said the Mariner of the Seas was below par because it was crowded: Are you sure you know which ship you were on??? She is my favorite ship and I have sailed on her 8 times mostly because of all the open space. I am so jealous that my parents are taking her for 6 weeks from Port Canaveral to LA in January. There is a higher negative space to passenger ratio on that class than any of the other smaller ships. The only 2 times I ever felt crowded on that ship are the Captains Toast and waiting for immigration. Those crowds are nothing compared to day to day crowding on smaller ships. Sometimes I have found myself wandering through the promenade on Mariner wondering "where are all the people?". None of the bars, shows or activities ever felt crowded. I always found a good deck chair or a seat. Events were full but not crowded. Would you prefer a nightclub with 8 people hanging out? Not really a festive atmosphere. They have MORE than enough public space and diversions so that people are always spread out all over the ship. It was the same on the other 2 Voyager class ships I have sailed on AND on Freedom and Liberty it is even better. They went up another 20,000 tons yet added only 500 more passengers. In comparison, the Sovereign of the Seas (73000 tons) is almost half the size of Mariner (138000) and carries only 300 less passengers at full capacity. (Sovereign 2852 pax to Mariner 3116 pax). Feel free to check this out on their web site. Carnival's ratio of space per passenger is even worse. Sorry but this is just a BIG pet peeve of mine. People assume the ship is crowded because it is big. So again exactly how was the cruise below par? I've been on Radiance 3 times for a total of 5 weeks. I always felt crowded there. That ship is almost a whole ship smaller than Mariner and it carries only 600 less passengers. It is a nice ship but very narrow without open spaces. Very cramped. But hey, to each his own. Good thing that these folks want to stay away from the big ships. That means less competition for the good cabins on Oasis. I do not recall however what they said made the ship its self below par?
Old November 30th, 2008, 02:41 PM
david30101

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
IB...

I agree that the new focus on port intensive itineraries is a positive thing.

It seems that the cruise lines had a little "thing" going on in the Caribbean with making the ports less than enticing, like in Jamaica you HAVE to book a shore excursion or stay on the ship, Grand Cayman, once you have been there and seen everything, has little appeal as a shopping place because it is so crowded, Cozumel is the same, you have to pay to get to the main city or just shop in the terminal - you pretty much have to take a shore excursion.

The upshot of THAT was passengers would be more likely to stay on the ships and spend money - on whatever they could do, like bingo, art auctions, spa, drinking by the pool, movies,video games (kids), etc...

In the East caribbean, at least you can walk around from the ship and shop or enjoy the local flavor.

But the best change is port-intensive itineraries in the southern Caribbean cruises such as the Destiny 7-day itinerary out of San Juan that offers a port every day. This is "european-style" cruising - where the focus is on the ports rather than the ship. And I think that is a great idea.

This cruise has:

1 San Juan, Puerto Rico 10:00pm

2 St. Thomas, USVI 7:00am 5:00pm

3 Dominica 10:00am 6:00pm

4 Barbados 8:00am 5:00pm

5 St Kitts, WI 10:00am 6:00pm

6 La Romana, Dominican Republic 3:00pm

7 La Romana, Dominican Republic 5:00pm

8 San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00am
The 2 days in Dominican Republic has been replaced with Antigua and St. Lucia so it is truly a port a day cruise.

This itinerary is really all about the ports. The ship is little more than a floating hotel with entertainment.

I think the cruiselines should look more into these types of cruises. I know sea days are big money makers for the cruiselines but port days are also cash cows with excursions and passengers too tired after a day in a hot sunny port to demand much attention or service. Also, this type of itinerary extends the life of an older ship. I am curious how they will have the hair chest, belly flop, newly wed games and contests since we will all be at port every day.

You have to remember the sea days are for a reason..You cant leave Miami and get to St Thomas (for example) in 12 hours or less..The ship has to go about 60 mph to cover that distance.. The eastern and southern Caribbean is to far away from south fla. You need the at sea days for travel times to get there and back.
I am curious as to which type of cruise the crew prefers. My guess would be port-intensive.
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmel21
Quote:
skymaster wrote:

Ken
"SkyMaster"

For the guy here that said the Mariner of the Seas was below par because it was crowded: Are you sure you know which ship you were on??? She is my favorite ship and I have sailed on her 8 times mostly because of all the open space. I am so jealous that my parents are taking her for 6 weeks from Port Canaveral to LA in January. There is a higher negative space to passenger ratio on that class than any of the other smaller ships. The only 2 times I ever felt crowded on that ship are the Captains Toast and waiting for immigration. Those crowds are nothing compared to day to day crowding on smaller ships. Sometimes I have found myself wandering through the promenade on Mariner wondering "where are all the people?". None of the bars, shows or activities ever felt crowded. I always found a good deck chair or a seat. Events were full but not crowded. Would you prefer a nightclub with 8 people hanging out? Not really a festive atmosphere. They have MORE than enough public space and diversions so that people are always spread out all over the ship. It was the same on the other 2 Voyager class ships I have sailed on AND on Freedom and Liberty it is even better. They went up another 20,000 tons yet added only 500 more passengers. In comparison, the Sovereign of the Seas (73000 tons) is almost half the size of Mariner (138000) and carries only 300 less passengers at full capacity. (Sovereign 2852 pax to Mariner 3116 pax). Feel free to check this out on their web site. Carnival's ratio of space per passenger is even worse. Sorry but this is just a BIG pet peeve of mine. People assume the ship is crowded because it is big. So again exactly how was the cruise below par? I've been on Radiance 3 times for a total of 5 weeks. I always felt crowded there. That ship is almost a whole ship smaller than Mariner and it carries only 600 less passengers. It is a nice ship but very narrow without open spaces. Very cramped. But hey, to each his own. Good thing that these folks want to stay away from the big ships. That means less competition for the good cabins on Oasis. I do not recall however what they said made the ship its self below par?
I found the Mariner of the Seas too congested and I have not cruised a voyager class or freedon class since. I do not intned to either. I feel that Royal Promanade with the main dinning on one end, the show lounge on the other end, and the casino one deck below makes for a very crowded/congested area in the evenings.

Now I enjoyed "people watching" from my bay window in my atruim stateroom, but no I did not enjoy being down in the throng. I did enjoy the PR on sea days, but then I HAD TO-as the lido/pools was so crowded during the day that you could not MOVE. Lord, that ice cream line snaked for MILES on sea days. It was unbelievable.

Now I have been on other ships that held 3000 people, the Caribbean Princess and NCL Pearl, and although they were much smaller ships and were crowded somewhat at times-NOTHING like Mariner of the Seas was. I do believe those ships spacing out their lounges etc. all over the ship-prevented that.

Now the Pearl could have used another pool. But the Carribbean Princess having 2 adult pools, one kiddie pool and 2 family pools solved that problem.
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Now you guys have me wondering about the Mariner of the Seas. Was it so crowded because the time of year? When did each of you sail? I never sail spring break, christamas/New Year's, or over the summer holiday. I always pick the off times. My hubby hates crowds, so I pick times the kids are in school. So Skymaster, momofmeg, and Jmel21 when did you cruise the Mariner of the Seas? I was interested in cruising her.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:19 PM
david30101

Dont know what happened to my last post....The sea days are the travel times to and from South Fla. and back from the Caribbean. You cant get to the eastern or southern Caribbean by the next morning after leaving at 6pm from Miami (example). Its to far away..So thats why they have at sea days. Unless you book a cruise from PR then your closer to the other islands where you can get a stop every day of the cruise..
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just got back from a cruise on the Carnival Holiday. I am glad to see that they are retiring this ship, it is old and out of date. The cruise the first 2 nights at sea were extremely rough (alot of rocking) the ships drive train makes a lot of noise too.

I had read a lot of good things about the service on this vessel, all good, but I can tell you that I have never seen service as bad as this on our previous cruises. The waiters at our table were terrible, all they offered us to drink the first night was water! I told them 3 nights in a row I wanter coffee at the beginning of the meal and they still never brought it the next two nights.

We went to Cozumel and Calica Mexico. Cozumel was great but our shore excursion cancelled for Calica and we didn't even get the notice till 10pm when we opened our Carnival Capers paper, it was inside, too late to book another now and there is absolutely nothing to do in Calica. So we are gonna make the best of it on the ship, yea right! The main pool on the Lido deck is closed down because the crew is doing life boat drills in it, what a joke! When they were through they put a net over the pool and it never opened till the next day.

We are cruising on the Carnival Triumph in February and if it is no better we are going to try other cruise lines.

Tim
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old December 11th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Ships that are Under Par? didn't know they could golf.....
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Paul,
I don't agree with your comment that in cetain ports, they try to make you take a tour or stay on the ship, so you can spend more money on board. Everything is closed while they are in the ports. Except for the bars, of course. But, I can't see that would make any big difference to them financially.
That said, I do agree about expectations. The Carnival Sensation is my least favorite ship. The decor is so loud and tacky in my eyes. And, they always seem to draw the heavy partiers. Which makes everything loud and tacky! But, the Legend, which we were just on was the opposite. Loved it.
And, I like a balance of sea days and ports. I guess I like everything about cruising.
Marty
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Now you guys have me wondering about the Mariner of the Seas. Was it so crowded because the time of year? When did each of you sail? I never sail spring break, christamas/New Year's, or over the summer holiday. I always pick the off times. My hubby hates crowds, so I pick times the kids are in school. So Skymaster, momofmeg, and Jmel21 when did you cruise the Mariner of the Seas? I was interested in cruising her.
Katlady, my cruise was the October 2-9, 2005. We had a very full ship, 3700 PAX. 3300 PAX is considered a full ship for that class. I do believe that had alot to do with it-plus I was on the 3 port-3 sea day ittenary-which meant we were on ship more than usual. The pool area was just not large enough for the amount of PAX there on sea days. Also, inline skating, and the rock climbing wall, were closed sea days on our cruise-because of high winds. so I am sure you can imagine the congestion in the lido area on sea days all of this caused-it was horrific.
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
I prefer sea days! Ports are secondary to me. I enjoy being on the ship. Everyday is a big pool party. The only money I spend onboard is at the pool bar. No auctions, bingo, casino or spa treatments for me.

Worst cruise would have to be the Sensation. My one and only Carnival cruise. I felt like I was at a NASCAR, tattoo, buffet-eaters anonymous and redneck convention. Ship was a letdown after many RCI cruises, pooldeck crowded (not by people, by the stupid slide and stage and lifeboats up top make it too squinched in). The purple made me sick and I couldn't find my cabin steward to keep me with ice.

I may try them again when they redo all the pool decks and update the decor.
I prefer sea days too.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009