Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Passenger

Default The Cruise Directors should be more accessible

Have you noticed that every time you see a Cruise Director he is usually walking around in a fast clip with a huge "security detail"? (The security detail are his aides) Yes, I know he is not the President of the United States but sure acts like he is. I have never seen a Cruise Director just stop and visit with a passenger and get our feedback on how we like the events on the ship. He is always running somewhere.

I did approach a cruise director and asked him if he had time to chat for a few minutes because I had some feedback on the ship activities. I was very friendly and open but was quickly shot down. He rudely told me he was busy and told me to fill out a comment card at the end of the cruise.

If I am staying at a Marriott Resort and I have ideas, concerns or complaints, the Hotel Manager would be glad to talk to me and hear my ideas. Outside of the impersonal evaluation forms, there seems to be no opportunity to give feedback to anyone on the cruise ship unless it has reached a serious problem.

The Ships Management should be more open to comments, complaints, ideas and feedback.
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Passenger

From my past experiences, and experiences of clients I have talked to, cruise directors have been really approachable, especially on carnival. marc price is a good one, he just randomly walks around all by himself, and talks to passengers all by himself.
Triumph Jan 1/2006
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have seen both kinds of CDs, the approachable ones and the ones who aren't. It is up to the CD.

Having worked on a ship, I know there are times when you have to do your job and as much as you hate to do it, you have to tell a passenger "I just can't talk right now."

The CD on Mariner of the Seas made a habit of saying hi to everyone he made eye contact with as he walked down the halls. He was literally saying, "hi" "hey there" "how ya doin'?" non-stop.
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Admiral

"Have you noticed that every time you see a Cruise Director he is usually walking around in a fast clip with a huge "security detail"? (The security detail are his aides) Yes, I know he is not the President of the United States but sure acts like he is. I have never seen a Cruise Director just stop and visit with a passenger and get our feedback on how we like the events on the ship. He is always running somewhere."

Quote above from conversationist.

mmm, are you for real,,,no you cant be, as for all it is Gripes there has to be a bit of reality here.

Yep I once demanded to see the captain as I had a suggestion or comment to make on the steering of the ship, did it happen no. Did I fill in my ship opinion or comment card, Yes. Okay that scenario is made up re captain

But did I have the arrogance to expect a casual one 2 one with any ship official or officer as they happened to just walk past me, NO.

How do you think, thats amazing that thread of thought
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:58 PM
First Mate

I was on Carnivals Celebration sitting in the bar one night and the cruise director bought me a beer and told me to have a good time. I've no complaints about them.
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Admiral

No I never noticed. Everytime I spoke to a CD he/she responded in kindness, took the time and was very friendly.
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I don't know what it is or how it happens, I seem to miss seeing anyone of importance, and the CD when I am on the ship. I do see the special hosts quite often all over, but the CD, nope....

The CD on Triumph--Brad Calabrese--was really nice, but I only ran into him when I had a question to ask at the debarkation talk!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old January 19th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Perhaps it's just me, but I almost always get to know not only the CD, but many of the performers aboard ship as well. I'm actually amazed that when I board a cruise, quite a number of the performers, as well as the CD remember me from previous cruises. It's a GREAT feeling, and I hope it never stops.

Ken
"SkyMaster"
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Admiral

I had things to say to my last one...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Passenger

Well I see someone's already given kudos to Marc Price, but I'll add anyway.

Just back from the Conquest less than a week ago, and I had no less than 4 conversations with Marc during my week on board. During one conversation with my mother, we discovered that we may be related to him, as our Price line goes back to the same families in 1700's England that his does!
During one of our conversations we even talked about this forum, of which he's very familiar.

Actually we found him completely accessible, and even more impressive was that he'd remember our names during the next chat.
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Don't find that to be the case. I think conversationist likes to stir it up. Not enough black people onboard, the music by the pool is too loud, ect...

I have had good conversations with Matt Baker on Enchantment, loved his Austin Powers bit. Carly was very friendly on the same ship on subsequent sailings.

Mariner last year had a few conversations with both the Captain and the CD. Sovereign a few years back sat in Schooner Bar with CD Chris and had a few beers together he bought.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Captain

I have always found the CD's to be accessable in fact on my last cruise Lenny Halliday the CD even said when he was going to be around the Atrium to chat. So I approached him with some questions I had about Carnivals wedding packages and a few other things. Thereafter he knew my name and said hello everytime he saw me right up to debarkation.

However in every customer service job (mine included, as I talk to my customers on the phone a lot) I'm sure there are times when the "off the phone" work as to done and you have to say I can't chat right now.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to christitunes

Methinks that conversationist has seen one too many episodes of the Love Boat, where Julie McCoy, despite being the only cruise director on a huge ship, has the time to get personally involved in the lives of the passengers.

Old April 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have seen both types also.. On Celebrity I thought they were much more approachable than on Carnival.. but it could be the responsibilities differ.. I do find them somewhat useless overall. They dont make or break my cruising experience

Now a bad bartender... thats a different story...
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
First Mate

Default Cruise Directors

There are different types of cruise directors just as there are different types of Captains aboard the ship. We have encountered CDs that would hardly speak to you and others that would stop by and chat with you for a moment. I try to remember that with all the passengers aboard it is more than likely not possible for a CD to be able to have a long chat with every passenger. I would suggest that if you would like to chat with the CD pick the time and location and keep the chat short. He probally does not have a lot of interest in knowing that you left your cat at home and are worried daily about his well being. Recently aboard a HA ship they had "Coffee with the last evening's entertainer and CD". Since it was always at 9AM less than 60 passengers showed up. There was always a few minutes afterwards in which you could approach the CD--one on one. He also has an office and the really good CD doesn't mind you sticking your head in the door and giving him a greeting.We talked with him a couple of times and was not hurried. We just tried to respect the fact that other passengers wanted to chat also. He took time to pose for pictures with those who ask.
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Admiral

I have talked to every CD on the ships I have been on. When we cruised on the Solstice we met the CD afer we had been on the ship for a few minutes.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Do remember there are times when the CD is moving quickly between events and may not have the time to chat. When you see them on the move like that it is probably not the best time to chat.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Admiral

On the Carnival Freedom the CD started a conversation with us. He was very nice. He had been mispronouncing Funchal (Madiera Island) we tried to correct him, but he never was able to get it. He pronouned it Fun Shawl the whole time. The correct pronouncation Foon Shawl.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 6th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Captain

I have to tell you, who cares if I meet the CD. They don't and never have done anything special for me. Others love them, and thats great but I like to keep to myself and not follow the "leader".
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012