Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:23 PM
First Mate

Default A gripe, or just self-pity?

It has been a long while since I started a gripe on this board. Basically, I have found little to gripe about. On my last cruise three weeks ago, (Conquest) I felt a tinge of a gripe building within me.
Why is it that I NEVER get the wait staff that others get? You know the ones that show magic tricks and laugh and generally entertain you all week?
My staff was very efficient and were not a let down as far as servicing my needs, but I want more. Is this being picky or do I have a gripe?
On land, I would have been blown away if I received the level of service I received from this duo, but at sea, they fell short.
I guess that I am spoiled and have come to expect too much.
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default Re: A gripe, or just self-pity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjeff
...........On land, I would have been blown away if I received the level of service I received from this duo.........
...............In that case and since you did ask, I would say, Self-Pity.

Captain
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Rev, I totally know where you are coming from, as on my last cruise our head waiter was full of jokes, placed the wrong meal to the wrong person, gave a cabaret for all of us to see, with all sorts of silly things every night. All of the other tables around us, would be staring at him to see what he did next…and to us for a reaction

But

By night number five,,,I would have killed to have a waiter that just did their job and served me dinner, without our table being the centre of attraction and us the butt of his little entertainment …..I suppose things go two ways. You want him on yours, you can have him.
Old January 21st, 2008, 04:36 PM
First Mate

Exactly my dilemma! I REALLY do not want that waiter, but then again, if I do not get them, I feel left out.
I guess also that for me a part of the cruise experience is getting to know the staff. At least to learn a little about where they come from.
I did notice that on my last two cruises the head waiters seem to have a larger number of tables to serve and it seems all they can do to get the real work done.
If I had to choose, I would rather have a capable waitert than an entertainer.
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I am happy to have a waiter who serves me and leave it that. On my first cruise in 1991 the waiter we had, back them EVERYONE went to the dining room, was East Indian and he started hitting on me and after day three or four. It creeped me out so would make sure I was OUT of the dining room when he left so he couldn't hit on me anymore. He would bring me out extra desserts, even if I didn't want them. He didn't hit on the other single girl at the table, perhaps because she was travelling with her mother and grandmother. I so wished I had a ring for my left hand that I could put on and take off just for the dining room..sadly, the only ring I owned at the time was my high school ring.

I would have asked to switch tables, but the sailing was way over capacity and even if I did switch, I could still get him as a waiter!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:26 PM
Admiral

On our last cruise on Carnival, the wait staff was made to perform every night on the 14 day cruise. I don't really wish to hear them sing and dance. All I require is for them to efficiently serve me with my food.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Admiral

I'm the total opposite I want my wait staff to be fun and entertaining.

FUN

ENTERTAINING

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

reverendjeff, could you be suffering from a severe case of "staff envy"?
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
Captain

reverend:

It is possible that you are just cruising the wrong lines, if you want "entertaining waiters". Some lines have them, and others AVOID this practice for the reasons you can see in the posts above -- some guests don't like it.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by babe ruth
reverend:

It is possible that you are just cruising the wrong lines, if you want "entertaining waiters". Some lines have them, and others AVOID this practice for the reasons you can see in the posts above -- some guests don't like it.
There is a lot of truth in that, but does bulk have to mean crass behaviour today? Or leave you squirming in your seat as a person, as that is what they do to please some folks on here, so far seen there is one that does agree with it.

Honestly, give me serving attention, listen to my complaint re food if I have it...fix it. Place your job efffort on that.

I would appreciate that sort of service, more than any table party tricks or standing up the staircase singing to the room, especially, when these guys and gals are professional and just want to do a job,,,but the line says we have to do this, do you really think they enjoy it, and feel they are doing a professional job for their REAL skill?

How embarressed must a chef feel, that has spent his life training in his skill, to be told "great job" on the food you cook... but we want you to stand on the stairs and sing to everyone in the dining room.

Ask the head chef in your next hotel or his commis to do the same,,,no chance 8) , this is a skilled person blackmailed by his or her employer to act like a monkey.

Thats the problem when a certain company BUYS cruising, they think their formula works in this is "what all people expect" ,,,,sorry but through your action of buying every other ship or line that deliverd "different", you blew it big C

You missed a BIG part of it,,why did we just have good service, attentive waiters etc before you bought them,,,so now we have singing, dancing or performing waiters as norm.....duhhh,,,,why?

Me,,, I cringe for them as people and get indigestion when trying to enjoy my meal due to what you make me witness in how you expect these "professionals" to jump through hoops.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
First Mate

This brings up another idea or thought. What about instead of having the wit-staff sing and dance, have the entertainment staff do a dinner show once in a while?
Lord knows, the regular shows do not seem to bring down the house like they should.
David your statement is really about human dignity and how the cruiseline exploits the hired help. Have each person do thier job, singers sing, dancers dance, waiter wait. This would seem to please most of us without forcing a waiter to put on a silly hat and dance on a table.
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Admiral

I would rather put up with the song and dancing and proper service rather than an incompetent staff juggling (literally) the dishes for us.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: A gripe, or just self-pity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjeff
On my last cruise three weeks ago, (Conquest) I felt a tinge of a gripe building within me.
Why is it that I NEVER get the wait staff that others get? You know the ones that show magic tricks and laugh and generally entertain you all week?
My staff was very efficient and were not a let down as far as servicing my needs, but I want more. Is this being picky or do I have a gripe?
On land, I would have been blown away if I received the level of service I received from this duo, but at sea, they fell short.
I don't think the wait staff on very many ships has very much free time anymore to do magic tricks and whatnot. At least not on the mass market ships. The cruise lines are squeezing their service people to get every ounce of productivity from them and on my last couple of cruises I've found the waitstaff to be adequate, i.e., doing their jobs; but a far cry from "blowing me away" with the service. In fact, I found service to be on the slow side. But one look around the dining room told me why. Many of these waiters have far more tables than they could comfortably handle, and they were stressed just getting the orders right and the food from the kitchen to the table.

I think you'll find the waitstaff more engaging/friendly on a slow night in the dining room ... like perhaps a formal night when many people skip the dining room. Or, you'll find a far more personalized experience in the dining room on a premium or luxury cruise line. The mass market lines just want to move you in and move you out these days.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Rita

Thank you, nice to talk to someone who sees the problem and its brilliant that you can see past personal expectation against reality or some "ship presssure". 8)

Open question: Can anyone base a "personal" expectation or vacation wish against the other 2 or 3 thousand fellow individuals who have also personal expectations of that ship...No. you cant. Just take it for what it is, dont like it, dont go back. No chance of changing it

But for those that feel you can still do that.......why not just bare your butt up at the front of the ship as it sails, fart in your fellow passengers direction and then see who takes notices of your action or thought.....no-one.

Why, because today bulk thought and opinion wins, not what the indidual expected, and that includes me. Seen both sides