Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

I do agree.. your two photos are gorgeous !

We are thinking we will be buying the photos.. we're going to be traveling on the NCL Spirit Sept 2009... does anyone know what they charge for pics? or do all cruise lines charge relatively the same price for pics?

Maureen
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Admiral

I too, am a sucker for photos, but after a dozen cruises I've learned my lesson - I don't NEED all of them!
I used to get all formal night photos, until I realized I am wearing the SAME dress in all of them (taken over 8 years!).
Now I stick to just the embarkation photos, as a sort of "marker" for the scrapbooks I make of each cruise.

I will make an exception this year though, and get a few taken with my sister, who is coming on her first, and as she says, "probably last" cruise.
Last, only because she probably will never afford another, but hey, I thought the same thing on my first cruise, and here I am, up to # 12!!

"CHEESE"

donna
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM
First Mate

I just don't have the patience to hunt down the photos anymore, so I don't bother. If they had an easier system to find them, well, I'm all for that. It's a dizzying experience going through thousands of photos to find them and I'd rather be doing something else. Like drinking a beer.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Hunting down the photos can be fun if I am totally honest, its the reality of the person or people in the photo that is the problem. 8)

Expectation V Reality, never mind digital, that is where the whole buying of ship pictures breaks down, as people think. I DONT LOOK LIKE THAT IN MY HEAD.

8) What chance have the photographers got in capturing "how some see themselves" and then buy the pic...pretty slim

mmmm
Old August 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Photos are insanely expensive. I rarely buy because of the price.

I did buy on on the Carnival Destiny in March and one on the Brilliance of the Seas in June because they were both phenomenal pictures.

The one from the Brilliance had me, my sister, and her friend and I HAD to have a professional pic from my sister's graduation trip of us

If I can ever get to a scanner I'll scan them in and post.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Passenger

Default Re: PHOTO GALLERY PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDONDYME
Why doesn't the photo gallery have your pictures on a computer for preview instead of printing them all up?? (including the ones where your eyes are closed!!)
This seems like such a waste of time and money (to me anyway.) Considering that some people take pictures and then never even go look at them
OH YEAH...and why are they sooo expensive?!?!?
Just wondering...
Well... The Liberty of the Seas (Royal Carib) has just that. We were on the July 19th, 2008 cruise and all photos are digital (they scan your cruise card before they take your photo) and are available on kiosks in the Photo Gallery. They also print out most pictures, but you can walk up to the kiosk, scan your cruise card and call up all of the pictures that have been taken of you. Then if you want ten copies for friends and family, you can order them right there. I'll bet you that it won't be long until you can call up your pics and order copies on the TV in your cabin. Or for a short period from your PC at home.
RCCL C & A Platinum Members

10 total cruises on Carnival, Princess & RCCL
Next Cruise:
2009 - Undetermined yet, but looking
2010 - April 17 - Oasis OTS
2011 - Asia - THE 14 Day Big One...
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Admiral

That's excellent, were there enough kiosks available that meant you did not have to Q for unacceptable times to see the pics?

I'm asking because the old 'pic on a board' thing had limited opening times, but if with your cruise card you can go to a terminal 24x7, and no Q's, again excellent
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
That's excellent, were there enough kiosks available that meant you did not have to Q for unacceptable times to see the pics?

I'm asking because the old 'pic on a board' thing had limited opening times, but if with your cruise card you can go to a terminal 24x7, and no Q's, again excellent
If I remember correctly, there were four kiosks in the Photo Gallery area. Most folks were perusing the pictures that were displayed so just a few of us were using the kiosks which were available 24 hrs a day. Anytime, just walk up and go.

The kiosks were great later in the cruise when you decided to get that welcome aboard photo that was not being displayed anymore. I thought this was a huge improvement. The only thing that was odd in the beginning was when we went to get our first pictures taken and the photgrapher asked for my cruise card... My honest first thought was "Oh no, now they are charging us just to take the pictures!" But it was just to identify the picts. BTW, each photo has a very small barcode at the bottom... your ID!

Next Cruise:
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Admiral

I run towards the paranoid. Is there anyway someone could take you "bar code" off a picture and use it to purchase other things on the cruise ship? If the "bar code" is your cruise card is it possible to use the "bar code" to make a duplicate of your cruise card?

I'm just thinking for all the ways ID is stolen on land. ATMs with video cams in the card case tape you taping in you pin code and the ATM has a false front the records your cards data. They then make a duplicate of your ATM card and rob you blinde.

On a cruise you don't even need a pin code so it would be easier to steal someone's ID and use it for on board purchases.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Passenger

Default photos

there will be photo kiosks on the carnival dream, it will be a test ship, and depending the results, will go fleet wide. it's a massive project, seeing as most of the complaints about the on-board gallery is that the lines are too long, imagine how many kiosks would be needed to allow a 3,600 pax count to view their photos.......and how long those lines would be!!
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I run towards the paranoid. Is there anyway someone could take you "bar code" off a picture and use it to purchase other things on the cruise ship? If the "bar code" is your cruise card is it possible to use the "bar code" to make a duplicate of your cruise card?

I'm just thinking for all the ways ID is stolen on land. ATMs with video cams in the card case tape you taping in you pin code and the ATM has a false front the records your cards data. They then make a duplicate of your ATM card and rob you blinde.

On a cruise you don't even need a pin code so it would be easier to steal someone's ID and use it for on board purchases.
I took another look at the pictures we purchased and they do not have a barcode on them... I'm like you paranoid. But I know I saw the barcode on something. Just chalk it up to old age I guess, it is not in the picture as I originally said.

Next Cruise:
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by badknees
People need to be really careful in the photo shop. I've heard a lot of gripes about their being dumb enough to get carried away and spend so much money on photos.
... and that's exactly what the cruise line wants you to do, my friend. That's why they print them and display them. If you could check your photos conveniently from your cabin tv, you would have the time to "mull over" your purchase before you make it. There would be no rush to buy a photo ... so you could take the time to think about it. Do I really need to spend $20 bucks on that?

Impluse purhases are how the cruise lines make most of their money. Also making it easy for you to part with it is another element in their equation. That's why everything purchased onboard goes on that handy little card ... you don't often realize what you are spending until way too late ... disembarkation day when you are presented with your final onboard bill. Do you honestly think people would spend so freely if they had to pull another credit card out of their pocket, or better still cash?

Believe me, the cruise lines know what they are doing ... and they are making mega-bucks because of that knowledge.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

I too love the Embarkation and the port pics for memories etc. My only gripe is that they take such good photos you ALWAYS want to buy them. Toward the end of my hubby and my cruise we had to ask them to not take anymore because we always wanted to buy them. The last cruise I went on with my friend, ALL the dang photos were good and we ended having a 200 total and put over half back

03/30/2009 ~ Carnival Ecstasy
09/14/2008 ~ Carnival Legend
03/2008 Carnival Victory
09/2007 Carnival Elation
06/2007 Carnival Liberty
09/2006 Carnival Ectasy
12/2004 Carnival Conquest
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Passenger

Default are they really so expensive?

in comparison to a land based studio, is $22 really so much for a photograph? in a land based studio, ok, the actual photo might be only $15,
but on one website i saw, you pay:

$40 sitting fee for up to 4 people, $5 per additional person
$25 for lighting
and there was a charge for traveling if you didn't go to the studio.

So, before you've even taken a picture, you've spent $65+!! so you can imagine how much a group picture of 100+ people would be, $40 for 4 people and for the other 96 in the group $480.....expensive photo!!
Old October 9th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Admiral

A land based photo session is an appointment and built to take in what the customer wants from the experience. So yes, you pay for it

You cannot compare that to "NEXT" please after 20 seconds against a single background or drop. Thats ridicules and its not art or real photography. What do they take on ship, one or maybe two shots at the pose that the person does not get to see until its on a wooden board..mm

You are comparing apples and oranges, ask anyone who has been on a cruise and had a formal family photo taken, against going to a studio and having a formal family photo taken.

As what you get on ship in one or two clicks, and for the numbers they drive through each day or night and for what it is,,,a snap shot..., is expensive
Old October 10th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Admiral

My DH is in show biz and has done many, many photo shoots, of various kinds. He absolutely hates the pre-canned "romantic" poses that ship photographers want you to do on formal night. So, it has become kind of a fun tradition for us to try and get around that. We get into the standard pose that they insist on, then,when DH says "now", we change things just as the pic is snapped. Actually bought one of those. A fun and funny memory.
Marty
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Admiral

"So, it has become kind of a fun tradition for us to try and get around that. We get into the standard pose that they insist on, then, when DH says "now", we change"

And good for you, after all its you’re pictures being taken.

Okay I grin and walk past when I see the "family" shot being taken like something for a yearbook, I wanna shout be yourself and get a picture that captures you as people or a family

So good one., people get to so anal when presented with a ships photographer, just be yourself, and then folks may buy more of them
Old February 19th, 2009, 03:22 PM
First Mate

May I suggest that you look very closely at the quality of the photos you find on your cruise. They are really candid photos so don't let anyone hype you up with the word "portrait". Portraits just are not taken on board a ship. The kids are using a mid priced digital camera and printing using a computer. It's mass production. Take a picture with your own camera, in fact take a dozen pictures with your own camera using the same background or backdrop (many of which are horrible) that you find on board, then print your own photos on your PC. Even getting reprints at Walmart is a better suggestion that paying those inflated prices for candid photos to the cruise line. Having probelms keeping up with your locations---try clicking a couple of shots holding the port information in your hand or take a picture the minute you go ashore with a name in the background you will remember. You will treasure these photos a lot longer than the "stuff" they try to sell you aboard ship.
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:27 PM
First Mate

As a retired wedding photographer, I can tell you that they get more sales by displaying the photographs for all to see verses having them show up on your TV.

Why?

1. Your TV is not color corrected to match the quality of what you get on the actual print. If the color is off, you may think the print is the same way, therefore a reason for you not to purchase the photo.

2. The excitement of seeing the photos with your friends and dialoging back and forth as to which one looks good and which one you should buy. It's not likely that you'll bring everyone to your room to view the photos with you. Plus, some people look to others for their opinion and go with what they say.

3. You're more likely to purchase it if it's in your hand verses seeing it on the TV. It's hard to throw away something if you really like it and you're holding it too.

4. Having them on display also gives you something to do on the sea days when you have nothing else to do. We like to view other people's photographs and sometimes get a kick out of what you see. Of course for the ladies, they like to see what everyone else is wearing. Sometimes you see a pose that you would like taken for yourself.

5. As a photographer, you know they can do things that can help sales. A simple solution would be to give discounts for the quantity of photographs you purchase. Example, for every so many prints you purchase, you get a discount, a decreasing price schedule or a free photograph. This would be an incentive for people to select more photos. Granted, to some, they may seem to be a bit pricey. Try and see what your local photographer charges for candid reprints. I think you'll see the prices very similar.

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012
Carnival Liberty - Sept 2013
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas- Sept 2014

Old July 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM
First Mate

Default Ships Photos

First those ship photos and portraits are just snapshots taken with a mid-priced digital camer. In fact I note many use the same Nikon that I carry with me. On the last cruise I chatted with the manger in the photo shop and suggested that the quality was not all that good, that in fact the photos were just snapshots and that the prices were too high. His reply was that he had no control over the prices as that was set by the home office. He too agreed that the quality was sometimes poor but that the passneger did not have to buy that photo and that I should remember these photos are mass produced and not done a photo at a time as one would expect in a custom shop. He agreed the photos were snapshots and concuded that this is what most passengers want. He felt the portaits were a good deal as buying a portrait back home could set you back many, many dollars. Oh well---I tried!!