Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2008, 03:35 PM
Passenger

Default PHOTO GALLERY PICS

Why doesn't the photo gallery have your pictures on a computer for preview instead of printing them all up?? (including the ones where your eyes are closed!!)
This seems like such a waste of time and money (to me anyway.) Considering that some people take pictures and then never even go look at them
OH YEAH...and why are they sooo expensive?!?!?
Just wondering...
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
First Mate

I recall reading an article a few years ago that Carnival was going to try out a facial-recognition photo system to eliminiate the waste. Not sure what happened to that idea. I could see some lost sales there as some passengers might not want to stand in line at a kiosk, surf through their pics and then select/print them but may buy them on impulse if they are already developed.

Old February 5th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

The first time I cruised I bought a photo of the group I was with. The next time I got a picture of the friend I was with. My husband and I bought a couple of good photos of us on a third trip and on the last one we got the one of us with our friend when boarding. I always get the boarding photo. I happened to like those as a memory thing. We looked at all the pictures taken but didn't buy any more. I dislike the fact that you can't get a lot of the pictures in 5x7. I'm not even sure where a few of those pictures are that we bought.
People need to be really careful in the photo shop. I've heard a lot of gripes about their being dumb enough to get carried away and spend so much money on photos. We have plenty of photos on our own camera. We do have plenty taken though on the ship but they would have to be perfect for me to buy any and last time we didn't.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Yeoman

I think some of the backgrounds provided by the photographers/cruiselines are pretty cheesy also.......
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Admiral

cheezze, what a gripe...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46
I think some of the backgrounds provided by the photographers/cruiselines are pretty cheesy also.......
Iris:
I agree. Some of the backgrounds are ridiculously cheesy. On NCL I saw one with dolphins jumping in the background. This was on an Alaska cruise. I guess they couldn't get the magic markers out to color the dolphins black and white to look like Orcas.

I also feel bad for the photographer who draws the short straw and has to wear the Bear, Penguin, or Dolphin suit.

I haven't bought a ship's picture in quite awhile. Most of the time I just say "No Thank You" and they move on. The ones they do take end up in the photo gallery recycle bin.

One interesting thing to note is that the photos are one of the cruise lines biggest money makers.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Admiral

I will continue to buy the embarkation picture but no others unless they are outstandingly candid. No need for formal pictures anymore.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Two opinions on this

One... I hate when I eventually find my own photos on the boards as I have been replaced by some old and overweight bloke with a mental grin that did not appear in my head when they set the photo shoot up.

You want technology !!!! Then get the person who was in my head into that photo

Two...Deck walking and we get to the photo stands,,never laughed so much at so many of my fellow passengers pictures,,,cruel I know but true.

You can do it to me if you like,,,, but that person was not me... it was the other bloke
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Two opinions on this

One... I hate when I eventually find my own photos on the boards as I have been replaced by some old and overweight bloke with a mental grin that did not appear in my head when they set the photo shoot up.

You want technology !!!! Then get the person who was in my head into that photo

Two...Deck walking and we get to the photo stands,,never laughed so much at so many of my fellow passengers pictures,,,cruel I know but true.

You can do it to me if you like,,,, but that person was not me... it was the other bloke
I heartedly agree with number one my friend!

Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
Familiar Face

Ha! You must have been lookin at mine.

Old February 28th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Admiral

My first couple of cruises I was buying all pictures I could find.
as I cruise more i was buying less pictures. My photo bill at the end of the cruise was around $100.00. Now I buy 1 photo only , usually the embarkation.
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

My wife and I usually won't let the photographers take our picture just so we aren't tempted to purchase them.

The prices are rediculously high.

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

We usually buy the formal night picture, as we have a begun a cruise photo wall in our home. Our photo bill is also very low, we usually spend most of our money at the bar...

Read and post cruise reviews

Booked :razz:
NCL Sun - November 2011
Disney Dream - December 2012 *Honeymoon*

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
Carnival Triumph - January 2010
Carnival Glory - April 2007
Carnival Inspiration - July 2006
NCL Star - April 2003
Carnival Sensation - April 1998
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Admiral

I have to agree with Dayvidb when I look at my pictures I have been replaced with a chick that is at least 10 pounds heavier then me. She is still a smoking hottie though. I like to buy the formal night picture my hubby is so cute in his tux. One cruise I went on for some reason I could not smile I made a weird face in all the pictures but one that saved a lot of money.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:30 PM
First Mate

Other than the few of the old sourpuss, twenty-five pounds heavier than myself but wearing an identical outfit as I have, I can never locate my photos...

But the original posting re screen viewing is an excellent idea and, of course, all the superfluous prints made and thrown away is the answer to her question as to why acceptable prints are so expensive to purchase.
Old March 31st, 2008, 04:23 PM
Admiral

It is a great idea electronic delivery of proofs/pictures, but in reality I don’t know how it would work. The lines are very aware of the technology to do it, but in reality it would never work and I guess that’s why they don’t do it.

Why? Think of the number of boards they have in the 'gallery' to show pictures, and times the number of pictures they will display at any one time. Lets have a guess on that!.

Lets say there are 1,000 passengers across 8 or 10 big boards for all to look at any one time and across 20-30 metres of physical space.

How many terminals would that relate to if you went for the computer scenario?

How would you find your picture?,,,by cabin number,,,mmm that may work,,,but..

Today, I can walk around the boards and find my pictures. But what would the reaction be if you could not get on a 'terminal' to view yours as 'someone else' was hogging it or unable to 'work it' in trying to find their pictures,,,mmm…think about the crowd you are dealing with here.

Yes, the technology is there to do it electronically, but as yet not the people or the delivery mechanism to do it or make it work with so many people and their photographs.

The lines know that, its easier and cheaper to print and dump.
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:55 PM
First Mate

I think that part of the "allure" of the photo gallery is the scavenger hunt you have to embark upon to find your mug. We will scan the boards carefully and then it is almost like yelling bingo once we find the pic. Of course, we usually do not purchase any of them because as has been stated, they are not the folks we thought would appear on the photo. Apparently, the camera not only adds ten pounds, but wrinkles, gray hair and a phony smile.
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Wow! You guys are so lucky. Yours get replaced by someone 10 pounds heavier. Goodness, mine are a lady decades older and MANY pounds heavier than me.
ALso, I think that the biggest obstacle to making them available on-line is that they don't have any way to cross reference who you are with the pic's. Neither your name nor cabin number is noted when they take the photo and since none of us ever look like ouselves, even face recognition software (which can't be cheap) would work. Okay, maybe for a few of the gorgeous young-un's on this board, but not so much for the rest of us!
Marty
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Hey Marty, your right its great in theory but totally impractical. Lets face it, if the lines who are always looking to cut cost could have done, it would be there.

Rev respect...
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: PHOTO GALLERY PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDONDYME
Why doesn't the photo gallery have your pictures on a computer for preview instead of printing them all up?? (including the ones where your eyes are closed!!)
This seems like such a waste of time and money (to me anyway.) Considering that some people take pictures and then never even go look at them
Every cruise we have been on in the last few years I have put this as a suggestion on our comment card. It is such a waste of paper and chemicals to print pictures when 90% of them end up going in the trash.

SOLUTION: When you have a photo taken, you provide the photographer w/ your cabin number. Later in the day, you go to a kiosk, key in your cabin # and BAM, all of the photos you had taken are there to view. You pick what you want and have them printed. Certainly the technology for this is available.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Yes the technology is, but at a cost, plus I can guess that on a ship on a 14 day cruise my photo in all areas will be taken at least 18 times.

I may buy one in a folder, and only and just for the sake of the experience. But more than likely I will not

So with the era of personal digital cameras, and the number of times you can see, take, retake the picture..... why would you buy their pictures at a premium?
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Captain

The only complaint I have ever had concerning ship's photographers is when they hold up lines -- or perhaps they create lines! So long as they don't create a "bottleneck" in the activities, I have no problem with them.

That being said, I have recently cruised on a smaller line that did away with ship's photographers, and art auctions too, because "their customer base demanded it." Another smaller line I've cruised retained photographers and art auctions, but made them much less "prominent." And in these cases, I didn't miss them at all.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
First Mate

The real reason the lines continue taking the photos and asking for, and getting the premium price can be seen right here on cruisemates.
Think of how many new or first time cruisers read these boards. Multiply that by the number who have not yet discovered this site9although I am sure that number is small , and you have a ripe market for the photo gallery.
New cruisers full of excitement want to capture the moment for many reasons. Some believe this may be their last cruise, after saving hard to get there. Some want to cherish the experience as long as they can.

You and I may not buy anymore, but there is a steady stream of those who will.

DBG _ your new avatar is much better an inspired me to change my own.
Old April 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Admiral

I could go for you in that jacket and your hair looks different: 8)

grin

But back to what Marty said a while back "Neither your name nor cabin number is noted when they take the photo "

That’s the crux and for all the digital technology available today unless they take the time to do that, it will never work.

So in my ears I can already hear the complaints of others being held up getting on or off the ship, because people are now filing in forms or giving whatever 'detail' to then see a digital photo in thier cabin.

Marty, you’re right. Its great in theory but from a management and control perspective it’s a nightmare.

Imagine getting back to your cabin to buy your pics and what you get to buy is another persons picture, as someone taking the details was one out in ‘who was who’ or their cabin number

Oh I just became a first mate,,,again 8)
Old April 24th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Quikster Send a message via MSN to Quikster Send a message via Yahoo to Quikster

Going on our first cruise so I'm sure one of you will have the answer, but will anyone of the photographers also take your picture with your own camera if you ask nicely?

I know when we went to Disney last year and they have the people everywhere that will take your picture on the Disney cameras, you could also ask if they minded taking one of you with your own camera and most of them would do it.
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Your waiters and other crew members, plus fellow passengers will be happy to take your photo on your own camera. Not the photographers, though, as it is their job to take pic's you have to pay for. Oh, and never let a local take your pic in a port. Those guys can run really fast! Nver happened to me, but I have seen it happen.
Marty
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Quikster Send a message via MSN to Quikster Send a message via Yahoo to Quikster

Thanks for the heads up. I figured the photographers might not because they want to sell you pics, but the Disney ones did anyway so I figured it was worth a shot.
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

What does the embarkation photo cost? Are the formal photos more expensive? I've read all these posts, and not one person mentioned the rates.. since we've never cruised yet..but plan too eventually..what costs am I looking at?
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: PHOTO GALLERY PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDONDYME
OH YEAH...and why are they sooo expensive?!?!?
Just wondering...
I agree, it would save a lot of paper & ink. Why not set it up so you can view the photos over your cabin television and place orders. They could set the pics up in categories the same way they do as the display in the photo shop area....Embarkation, 1st formal night, Port A, Port B, 2nd formal night. etc.

We rarely purchase photos any more, unless they come out very good---usually one of us is making a funny face of some sort.

They should post the photo displays as one of the on-board activities! I'm sure we've entertained many a passenger who have seen our pics.

Paying that proverbial "arm and a leg" - $10 - $25 per pic can be a deterrent - way too much to pay - especially when they charge for an 8X10 and the picture is actually a 5x7 or 4X6 with a HUGE border of some sort.

Like other posters, I can never seem to find our pics. They simply don't match our mugs as they are ingrained in our mind's eye!
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosiegirl
What does the embarkation photo cost? Are the formal photos more expensive? I've read all these posts, and not one person mentioned the rates.. since we've never cruised yet..but plan too eventually..what costs am I looking at?
It depends on the size on Carnival the 8X10 are $19.95 and I think the 5X7s are $9.99. I like to buy the formal night picture it makes a good christmas card. I can't take a picture as good as the cruise ship photographs. My new avatar is a formal night pictures and I love this pic of me and my hubby.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994