Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:00 AM
Passenger

Default YOUNG KIDS "HOOKING UP"

Did anyone else notice on their cruise a bunch of teens/kids making out or hooking up or "grinding" on each other every time i turned around?!?!?
This is gross!! I dont want to see it...especially in the elevators or hot tub. I couldnt even use the hot tub the entire cruise for this reason
(This is the part where everyone feels sorry for me!) Just joking
Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default Re: YOUNG KIDS "HOOKING UP"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDONDYME
Did anyone else notice on their cruise a bunch of teens/kids making out or hooking up or "grinding" on each other every time i turned around?!?!?
This is gross!! I dont want to see it...especially in the elevators or hot tub. I couldnt even use the hot tub the entire cruise for this reason
(This is the part where everyone feels sorry for me!) Just joking

Never noticed that and I have been on 50 cruises. But then I mind my own business, not others' and live by my motto LIVE AND LET LIVE.

Btw, welcome to cruisemates London. Gotta luv that city.

Captain
Old February 1st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Can only be envious as most of my "bumping and grinding" in my early years did not take me to such an exotic place as a cruise ship to do it 8) 8) .

It was usually in places less "exotic",,,hey kids go for it....A fantastic memory for the future of when you.... 8),,, It's when the adults start "doing things" in the elavators for "whatever reason" and you cant now press the floor button for someones ass covering it that worries me

Perspective folks....

God, how cool would it have been to get your first tongue down the throat on a cruise ship..... 8)
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
......God, how cool would it have been to get your first tongue down the throat on a cruise ship..... 8)

lol lol lol David, i guess it all depends if you are the

tongue(or) or the tongue(ee)

lol lol lol lmao lmao

Captain
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Most of the teenage "hook ups" are with young people who are too young to have ever had as much unsupervised freedom. They tend to want to do "everything" on the ship and are at the age where peer pressure is a terrible thing.

It is not particularly cute to see some 13-15 year old girl being groped by a equally young man. Most times, the parents have no idea what their children are up to and are just happy that Sally and Tommy have found some friends on the ship and seem to be having a good time.

I agree with the OP to a degree that it is inappropriate. It is also the road to absolute disaster. If hot honey winks and blinks at the wrong young man, things can get out of hand really quickly. If young man feels up the wrong man's daughter, well. . . . . if it was your daughter in the corner with that young man, what would you do?

Don't forget to add readily available alcohol to the mix.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:34 PM
Admiral

I guess that I have had a seriously uncolorful past. Of course,in the ancient days when I was a teenager, peiople were a lot less wild.

I agree that parents who take teenagers on a cruise should exert some modicum of control.
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:59 PM
Admiral

IBCRUZIN',
My sentiments exactly. No need to add.
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:54 PM
Admiral

I'm sure things have changed a lot since I was a teenager.
First of all I grew up in a rural area where girls were not so plentiful and too, their parents, especially their mothers seemed to keep a sharper eye out than they do today.
Secondly, a cruise was the furtherest thing from my mind. Usually if you got to snuggle, cuddle, and otherwise " get acquainted " it was in a car.
The opportunities just simply were not as plentiful as they seem to be today.
Having said all this, if I were a teen going on a cruise today, I'm sure I would be trying my level best to become very well acquainted with the all too willing young ladies aboard.

One thing, in my worthless opinion, that the parents do wrong today is to rely too much on phones and the radios everyone seems to carry. If your little darling is somewhere in a group with her clothes off and you call her and ask her what she's doing, just what would you expect her to say--" I'm in the middle of an orgy--I'll call you back " --- Hardly. It would be more like--" Oh, not much mom--just hanging out with some friends "

Parents need to be more aware of where the kids are and what they are doing rather than just calling every now and then to " check in ".

But, alas-- to be young again and be lucky enough to be on a cruise--- heaven.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:00 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to LauraJo08

wait wait wait, i can bet you anything (especially on notorious party lines) that there are many more adults hooking up and going back to the cabin than there are teenagers.

And for those of you saying that back in the day teenagers never did the stuff they do today, and they were more controlled, I BEG to differ. The stories I hear about what my parents did back in the day literally make my jaw open, as most people I know would NEVER get away with what they did.

Past Cruises
~NCL Sun Feb 07
~HAL Maasdam Nov 01

Countries Visited
Guatemala, Belize, Mexico, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, France, England, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Belgium.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones

Well my experience with working in the school system is people have kids these days they are not PARENTS they just have kids and we the system raise them for them .Many may disagree but take a long look and see if what I say is true these people can't be bothered with their kids they are partying themselves and can't be bothered .
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraJo08
wait wait wait, i can bet you anything (especially on notorious party lines) that there are many more adults hooking up and going back to the cabin than there are teenagers.

And for those of you saying that back in the day teenagers never did the stuff they do today, and they were more controlled, I BEG to differ. The stories I hear about what my parents did back in the day literally make my jaw open, as most people I know would NEVER get away with what they did.
You just reaffirm that we are a product of our enviroment.
Your parent's life style contributes to and helps to form your attitude.
Do not assume that everyone did as your folks.

I happen to be one of the teenagers from "back in the day".
We did not have lipstick parties nor did we have child care available in high school.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraJo08

You just reaffirm that we are a product of our enviroment.
Your parent's life style contributes to and helps to form your attitude.
Do not assume that everyone did as your folks.

I happen to be one of the teenagers from "back in the day".
We did not have lipstick parties nor did we have child care available in high school.
My parent's lifestyle? They were kids then who didn't have as many laws forced upon them by a government that has used federalism to inhibit rights of the individual. And their lifestyle at the moment? They work 50 hours per week (engineer and business). Don't assume that the lifestyles people had when they were younger don't change.

My whole point before was that to be honest, the generation that grew up in the 60's and 70's caused my generation to have much more severe laws and penalties placed upon them.

"Do not assume that everyone did as your folks."

Well, then people on this board shouldn't assume that all teenagers are orgy-participating, pot-smoking, people disrupters who will do anything to get their hands on alcohol.

Past Cruises
~NCL Sun Feb 07
~HAL Maasdam Nov 01

Countries Visited
Guatemala, Belize, Mexico, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, France, England, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Belgium.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
Admiral

How in the world did you conclude that we are making assumptions about ALL kids?

I am not aware of any new laws since the 60's to restrict kids.

The drinking age going to 21 from 18 is obviously not applicable to you.

You may not like our form of government...it's probably best that you move to a country with a better one.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Laurajo08 quote,,,"Well, then people on this board shouldn't assume that all teenagers are orgy-participating, pot-smoking, people disrupters who will do anything to get their hands on alcohol.

Exactly,,,, 8) and the young will ALWAYS do it it their way, that is the response no matter what age we all are now, we all did "THINGS" back then.

But people should not treat all as being the same, because as individuals we dont......age does not give an automatic reaction or expectation in the action of others,,,,how does a person from 5 to 95 deal with it anything different in life, they do it it their own way. Accept or complain

But one thing I have to agree on is parental control,,,and if you dont have it, then the world is your oyster as to what your kids could be up to, and you dont even think about it!,,,thats scary, and no doubt how you think at home regarding your children.

The values you live at home are the values that you take onto a ship,,,basic dealing with people 101. Today and because "everyone" is allowed to be on a ship these days... in all honesty do you expect a sudden shift in morals from how they live their lives at home, because they are now on water with strangers?

Differnet scenario, not the childrens fault in how they appear to some.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
How in the world did you conclude that we are making assumptions about ALL kids?

I am not aware of any new laws since the 60's to restrict kids.

The drinking age going to 21 from 18 is obviously not applicable to you.

You may not like our form of government...it's probably best that you move to a country with a better one.
No, actually as I am 18 it does apply to me. And the first poster said that she was tired of seeing kids always making out and grinding every time she turned around, therefore assuming the ubiquity of the behavior.

In the past kids skipped school and and they were chastised, today kids skip school and they don't get to graduate. In the past if kids were caught with marijuana they just took it away, today kids get caught with pot and that can affect the rest of their lives. I mean goodness, they even have severe fines for teepeeing these days.

I never said I didn't like our form of government; I happen to be quite patriotic. But the only reason our drinking age was lowered to 18 was because the federal government enforced a federal mandate cutting all funding of highways to the states that did not abide by the lower age. That is tyrannical, and it doesn't seem to help our drunk driving rates like it was supposed to. Having spent a semester in Europe, I can tell you with their low drinking ages and severe drinking while driving penalties, people are much more responsible (germany could be the exception).

Please do not assume that my youth is an implication of ignorance.

Oh, and hmmm, I'm trying to figure out if the next post warrants an answer.....I think not.

Past Cruises
~NCL Sun Feb 07
~HAL Maasdam Nov 01

Countries Visited
Old February 2nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Nice speech.
Now, get over yourself.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Admiral

There are loads of social reasons for our young people being the way they are today. Yes, they are more intense, more violent, more s*xual, more aggressive, more developed and more daring.

Parents are made to feel like they have to be perfect parents 1000% of the time. They have to product perfect, well-adjusted, happy children. Don't spank, don't chastise, don't scold, don't punish, don't yell, don't threaten, don't don't don't don't. Parents today are as confused as their children. What is the right thing and what is wrong?

ALL adults are made to feel like they have to be over-achievers and "make something of themselves" outside of their homes and families. Nowadays, a happy home life and a loving family is not enough. People expect everyone to reach for the brass ring.

We move far away from our families in the pursuit of the dream. We farm our old into brightly painted warehouses sometimes called senior homes. We turn up nose to our individual cultures and old ways in an attempt to appear politically correct and assimilate. We cling to the idea that more stuff means we are better off.

Parents are now over-achieving at the work place, working long hours, bringing work home. They do not have time to parent as their parents did. They also MUST have those happy children. Therefore, they concede things and give in to demands that in their hearts they know is not good. However, they are tired. They have worked all day. They just don't have the energy or the desire to do the hard parenting that is required so often.

Our young people are the world's most self-centered, unappreciative, unmotivated, confused collection of muck on the planet. Many young people grow up truly believing it is all about them. They equate their every moment as more time for self-pleasure and self-enrichment.

Ipods, cellphones, flat screen LCD tv's, laptops, digital cameras, playstations, WII's, Xbox, Nike, Coach, Rocawear, Sean John, Ecko, 200 channels of cable tv, internet access, mastercard, visa and debits cards are their absolute RIGHT which they should not have to do anything in return.

A good number of our teens today could not tell you where the closest library is in their neighborhodds. Many believe they should not be required to work until after college and if they do work, all of that money should go to acquire more stuff and not for savings or helping with household expenses.

We may be a great nation but, as a whole, we suck as parents. :evil:

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

That's a very erroneous and cynical look at family life today.

Every generation has had its challenges, and every generation in the future will have theirs.

Each generation.. in some ways.. the kids may appear they growing up faster than the last. But that's because they are just exposed to more of what life is like all over the world. Communications are instant, travel is much more broad based.

In many cases the problems encountered today are those created by the mistakes of the past generation, as theirs were by the generation before them. And each generation thinks that the "younger generation" aren't prepared to deal with their futures.

And somehow each generation grows into their lives, and the world their generations create. And in plenty of cases and situations the next generation makes the world they live in a better place.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
That's a very erroneous and cynical look at family life today.

Every generation has had its challenges, and every generation in the future will have theirs.

Each generation.. in some ways.. the kids may appear they growing up faster than the last. But that's because they are just exposed to more of what life is like all over the world. Communications are instant, travel is much more broad based.

In many cases the problems encountered today are those created by the mistakes of the past generation, as theirs were by the generation before them. And each generation thinks that the "younger generation" aren't prepared to deal with their futures.

And somehow each generation grows into their lives, and the world their generations create. And in plenty of cases and situations the next generation makes the world they live in a better place.
It may be cynical but it is definitely not erroneous. Every word save for the last sentence is fact and not opinion.

Yes every generation had their problems. However, every generation prior to the last 20 years or so had their past, cultures, communities, extended families, and household expectations to use as a foundation for both short-term and long-term decisions. Our young people today do not have those things to fall back on.

However, some of the warmest, most loving homes in this country can be found in the most humble of surroundings.

And, right about now, I am not so sure I see how things are better for anyone.

However, back to the young people misbehaving on the ships. In this day and age, s*x with a stranger can kill you (AIDs), the options for dealing with an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy are few and hard to find, the standard procedure to charge a minor as an adult with no second chance, the litigious climate we live in where everyone sues everyone, Corporate America's insatiable appetite to fix every situation so that "it never happens again" even if the cure is worse, and no, this is not just like the old days. Nowadays, everything is for keeps and for good.

It is what it is. No sugar coating.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anything that has been said, but I am 17 and I can speak for myself. Each of you were a teenager at one time you had fun you had your time. Do each of you not wish that you go back to no responsibilities and nothing but a party life? Thats what we have now. I have been on 6 cruises and on none of them have I hooked up with anyone. It all depends on the teenager and what they were raised around. I was raised with respect for myself and making out with 10 different guys all in one night is not on my "to do" list. I love to dance, and right now grinding is our type of dance. Its fun. We do what we want and adults do what they want. Personally I dont want to turn 18 because the day I do I can no longer go into Club O2 and then I will be seeing a bunch of adults in the adults club drunk and trying to grind which sometimes looks like they are pole dancing. It doesnt matter whoever tries to put me down by what I said but I take my actions serious. I have a future and I intend to live it up my last year of highschool.
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainsley
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anything that has been said, but I am 17 and I can speak for myself. Each of you were a teenager at one time you had fun you had your time. Do each of you not wish that you go back to no responsibilities and nothing but a party life? Thats what we have now. I have been on 6 cruises and on none of them have I hooked up with anyone. It all depends on the teenager and what they were raised around. I was raised with respect for myself and making out with 10 different guys all in one night is not on my "to do" list. I love to dance, and right now grinding is our type of dance. Its fun. We do what we want and adults do what they want. Personally I dont want to turn 18 because the day I do I can no longer go into Club O2 and then I will be seeing a bunch of adults in the adults club drunk and trying to grind which sometimes looks like they are pole dancing. It doesnt matter whoever tries to put me down by what I said but I take my actions serious. I have a future and I intend to live it up my last year of highschool.
Very good post. Thanks for a word from "the other side."

On my cruises I have mostly met very nice, mannerable young people.

My comments earlier are not an indictment on the entire under 21 crowd but an indictment that we are all responsible for what we see today. No one group is more guilty than the other. The young are both at fault and to be commended. The parents are both at fault and are to be commended.

We all have to share the blame and the accolades.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:28 PM
Admiral

I love cruising and I love having a great time while on my cruises, but I didnt appreciate how the majority of teenagers got put down because of their stupid mistakes there are some of us that are actually good teenagers. My mom has taught me to have respect for myself and I do. It all depends on the person, but thank you.
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I love cruising and I love having a great time while on my cruises, but I didnt appreciate how the majority of teenagers got put down because of their stupid mistakes there are some of us that are actually good teenagers. My mom has taught me to have respect for myself and I do. It all depends on the person, but thank you.
Huh????

I don't think anyone ever said "a majority" of the teens on the cruise behave in an inappropriate manner. This thread is about the young people that do partake in questionable activities.

Most of the young people (and adults) that get carried away during vacations are good people. They just get caught up in the moment.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
Admiral

The thread was started on how LondonDyme didnt like the fact that teens were making out everywhere. Well its only because we dont have the privilege of going back to our room and doing whatever which is probably a good thing. To where adults do. But its all opinionated to each persons own different levels. Myself and other teens are commonly placed in a lazy generation as well. Personally I am a junior in a Private Prep School and I also hold down 2 part time jobs that I maintain fulltime hours at. My mom told me that if I wanted a car I had to pay my own insurance and gas. She still pays the bills because she says its not my responsibility yet but I am saving up for a cruise in October on the CCL Glory out of Port Canaveral. I am paying for the cruise myself and letting my parents have their own room. I am treating them for their anniversary. The more I read these posts the more I agree and disagree. This is an awesome debate.

I also have one question. How many times have you went into the adult club and the adults are drunk and dancing like they are strippers? I have seen it. To me it is disgusting because they are older than me and it would be like me seeing my parents dancing like teens do. I would be completely grossed out. BUT teens dont do much worse than adults. Adults pay a ton of money for alcohol, the casino & on top of that go party and make a fool of themselves because they are drunk...
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
First Mate

"Nice speech.
Now, get over yourself."

Good comeback

TEENS WIN!! 8) 8) 8)
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:52 PM
Captain

Quote:
I also have one question. How many times have you went into the adult club and the adults are drunk and dancing like they are strippers? I have seen it. To me it is disgusting because they are older than me and it would be like me seeing my parents dancing like teens do. I would be completely grossed out. BUT teens dont do much worse than adults. Adults pay a ton of money for alcohol, the casino & on top of that go party and make a fool of themselves because they are drunk...
Hehe, Ainsley, I agree with you, and I'm a relatively old guy. Every generation looks upon teens with a jaundiced eye, and it isn't fair.

You know, in the 1930s, mobs of teens robbed banks. With machine guns. And murdered. It was a national crises. That was why the FBI was created.

In the 19th century teens raped and pillaged and rioted.

It seems to me the 2008 teens are pretty mild. They kiss. And have sex. On cruise ships. Oh my! Yawn.

I have personally seen elderly people kissing in a public space on a cruise ship! It was horrible!

With a wink,

Aidan
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Admiral

I do appreciate the fact that some adults are on the teens side. But I was just trying to make the point that adults do just as much as teens do on cruises but teens just dont make a big deal about it. and thanks for standing up the 2008 teens =] we thank you
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Teens like to have fun while on vacation just like adults!
These teens seem to be doing nothing wrong!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Admiral

I'm glad my 16 year old son is not smoking, drinking, dating and grinding!

And he knows where our local library is!
And visits frequently.

Have a great day everyone!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Money93
I definitely agree with the last post

I also think Rinker replying with "Nice speech.
Now, get over yourself." is completely disrespectful and terribly out of line.(sounds a little childish to me )

And someone who says parents are crappy today is pretty ignorant because my parents are very good, they are strict and well informed about what's going on today.

Now just because I have strict parents and have their values and beliefs imprinted in my brain, doesn't mean I'm not going to make my own choices and do something like drink alcohol or dance the more popular ways, however sexual the dancing is, because its still fun. Anyways, a teen does on a cruise what they and others do in regular life, but they are confined in a smaller areas and are constantly around adults, some who are doing the same things.

Just giving another opinion from the teen side.

btw, i must have been looking at the wrong post, but I don't agree with the post before me.
I think you are the kettle calling the pot black. To call me "ignorant" is beyond disrespectful. I never targeted your parents or anyone elses. I never targeted any specific young people. I think I added "as a whole" in order to emphasize the generalization of the statement. Now, if you feel that it targeted your parents, well. . . there must be a reason.

The things that used to only plague "inner city/lower income households" or "those other people" has invaded the suburbs and the affluent communities with a vengence. Parents, who 20 years ago would have never seen the inside of a jail or courthouse, are now having to mortgage their entire life in order to save their child from some reckless endeavor.

The old nuturing communities are gone. The nosy old biddy on the corner who would watch out for the youngsters and rat them out if they did wrong is gone. Grandma living 15 minutes away is no longer. Instead, the young has MTV, YouTube and MySpace to keep them company in the afternoon while mom and dad work.

In my day (60-70's), a fistfight in school resulted in maybe a few days of suspension. Nowadays, a fistfight in school results in either handcuffs and a trip to the pokey or a gunfight in the schoolyard to settle the score.

I am a parent. My son is in grad school. All of his expenses are being financed by a major research organization that is hoping he comes aboard after he gets his MBA. He is on the path to extreme prosperity and success. However, it has not always been a day at the beach. Again, I am a parent and I also have a lot of friends and see the things that we parents are put through by our young and I also see the things that we as parents put our children through. No one particular parent or child is now being or ever was targeted by my general comments. In fact, I include myself and my child in the groups that I refer.

Now if you are a good kid (whatever that means) then I am sure you don't have to look far for the kids that are not "good." If you are a good parent and have had success in raising your young, how far do you have to look in your circle of friends, relatives, co-workers, etc. to find parents who are (a) being emotionally, financially and sometimes physically tortured by their children thru no fault of the parent or (b) parents that are so self-absorbed that they do not see the damage that they are doing to their kids.

But, . . . for those that believe they have to single themselves out and say, "not me, not mine," I say congrats but have to wonder why and say hmmmm. And, if you can't read an opinion of someone's without internalizing it, perhaps that is some of the "all about me" that I speak.

These are different times. It is not any one group's fault. It just is what it is.

Finally, this is a good discussion with many views. Please try to disagree politely and refrain from disrespectful titles.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes