Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Passenger

Default There was to much loud music around the pool

I really was frustrated during my last cruise (on the NCL Dawn). Every time I went to the pool there was very loud music. I got so tired of screaming at my wife to be heard. It all gave me a big headache. I wish they would turn the music down or have periods of time with no music.

Before events in the lounge there was many times where most people were over 60 in attendance but they played really loud music more suited towards 20 somethings.

Turn down the music!
Old February 5th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

You'd love the adult only Arcadia (P & O -UK) then, no screaming kids splashing in the pools or whining for a ice cream, just people relaxing around a QUIET pool sipping cocktails and reading books. Only music is at sailaway parties, or afternoon bands when at sea

Sue
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Admiral

I like the music but do agree it does get to be too loud. They could turn down the volumn a bit and it really would sound better.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

I agree that some ships have the music, live or recorded, much too loud. I particularly noticed it on the Emerald Princess last November, but then found the wonderful "Sanctuary Pool", where it was designated a "Quiet Area" - wonderful swimming against a current machine, all adults, nice sun and deck chairs.

A few 1/2 hour sets by a band during the day is nice, but too much, too often and too loud can be distracting.

Look at me - complaining about something on a CRUISE!!!! Am I nuts?
belgique
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Admiral

This is one of the reasons why I don't understand people hogging the lounge chairs closest to the pool area. That is usually the noisiest part of the ship. It is too much foot traffic and way too much music and CD announcements for any real relaxation. Also, how can someone read through all the noise and chaos??

I live in NYC and can sleep like a baby on the subway but the music and noise on the pool decks rattle me after a short while.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old February 6th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sounds awful, I'll stick to Arcadia

peace, perfect peace

Sue
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Call me crazy, but isn't this the "Cruise Gripes" section? If someone were to post a message here about how wonderful everything was on their cruise, it would be moved elsewhere, as it was NOT a gripe.

If you're saying that "Conversationalist" posts ONLY negative comments, that's different, but posting a gripe in the "Gripes" section seems logical to me.

belgique
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Captain

To get off the subject of the OP's intent for a moment, and return to loud music around the pool, We've cruised a good number of lines in all price ranges. And I have discovered a relationship. The less expensive the line, the louder the music is around the pool. Indeed, the lux lines generally have NO music around the pool, unless it is part of a specific event like a pool-side bar-b-que or the like. Even then, it is of reasonable volume.

As all the lines and ships we've cruised usually have whatever poolside musice they have (if any) via live band, you'd think the lower cost lines would be the ones to have no music. Live bands aren't free, you know.
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Don't sit right beside the pool. Go up on one of the other decks where it is quieter.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Captain

I live in NYC and can sleep like a baby on the subway but the music and noise on the pool decks rattle me after a short while.

I can to IB but thats cause the subway rocks me to sleep while the music just rattles me. However most ships these days do have quiet areas
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:59 PM
First Mate

What surprises us is that the cruise line knows months in advance the demographics of the passenger list for any cruise and yet do not seem to cater to the majority in their selection of music. When the list tells them that the average age of the passengers is 60+, the music to be played and the volume it is to be played at should reflect that point. When the predominant make up of the list is younger then play their music at their volume. It not rocket science.

Nothing worse for we of the crooner generation to be serenaded with rock disco music at a hearing aid destruct volume while trying to relax in conversation. Is anyone on the bridge listening? Or is the music too loud?
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Admiral

I actually spoke to the asst cruise director the first day on our last cruise (NCL Dawn). Th poolside music was so loud. He said that they only did that the first day. To my surprise, the rest of the trip, it was at least tolerable. The other thing is that they tend to leave volume to whatever band is playing and bands tend to want everyone to hear them. Like it or not. :evil:
Marty
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Don’t need or want to be in the MASS that congregates around the pool area. But, if it’s your thing then you go for it. For me it’s cruising from hell, far too busy, far too much noise and that’s just the number of people, never mind the music.

Thank God, they now build ships that allow you to lounge away from the pool area, because if that was my cruise and trapped in a scenario that was pool only loungers,,,then I’m jumping ship.

The option to be only at poolside areas for relaxing in my opinion is the thinking persons nightmare from hell…But, like a magnet some are drawn to this area…why, don’t get it. There are nicer and more social areas on this big ship in which to relax,,,,and those I choose,

Got to be at the pool,,, I don’t get it. And if you do please explain why, what is the appeal of laying side by side with 2 inches of space around a piece of water, and all that goes with it?