Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival Lobster Night

Carnival lobster night is no longer only lobster! It is now lobster and shrimp! Sound good?...NOT!!! The lobster now is so small, two bites and your done. The couple of shrimp is in my opinion not a good substitute. Another cutback by the new beancounter CEO?

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Chris what sailing was this on? was this on a 5 day or less cruise? or a longer cruise? It does seem like Carnival AND Royal Carribbean are taking the lobster out of the shorter sailings.... which is disappointing to me because I LOVE LOBSTER.

got to agree with you shrimp not a good substitute either; I woulnd't mind if it were snowcrab legs but shrimp geesh.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Passenger

Admittedly, I've only cruised twice, but since you can ask for seconds (or thirds?), I don't think this would affect me personally. I'm sure they'll save some money from those who don't know to ask or are too bashful, and I guess there are those few oddballs who don't care for lobster....
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default Re: Carnival Lobster Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris64
.......Another cutback by the new beancounter CEO?
see here, specifically my final comments and observations on Thursday Feb 14:

www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=590443

Captain
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I like having the shrimp added to the lobster! They give you four large tiger prawns and the lobster tail is not huge, but adequate. I ordered two helpings and skipped the appetizer!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyJ
Admittedly, I've only cruised twice, but since you can ask for seconds (or thirds?), I don't think this would affect me personally. I'm sure they'll save some money from those who don't know to ask or are too bashful, and I guess there are those few oddballs who don't care for lobster....
True. By the way, I am one of those oddballs...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

[Chris what sailing was this on? was this on a 5 day or less cruise? or a longer cruise? It does seem like Carnival AND Royal Carribbean are taking the lobster out of the shorter sailings.... which is disappointing to me because I LOVE LOBSTER.

got to agree with you shrimp not a good substitute either; I woulnd't mind if it were snowcrab legs but shrimp geesh.]

I was on a B2B on the Holiday. First was the 4 day, followed by a 5 day. Still love Carnival, but am concerned about these little cost saving measures and where will they end?[/quote]

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
[Chris what sailing was this on? was this on a 5 day or less cruise? or a longer cruise? It does seem like Carnival AND Royal Carribbean are taking the lobster out of the shorter sailings.... which is disappointing to me because I LOVE LOBSTER.

got to agree with you shrimp not a good substitute either; I woulnd't mind if it were snowcrab legs but shrimp geesh.]

I was on a B2B on the Holiday. First was the 4 day, followed by a 5 day. Still love Carnival, but am concerned about these little cost saving measures and where will they end?
[/quote] so it appears that Carnival AND Royal Carribbean are cutting back on the extras on the shorter cruises.... which stinks for me as I only go on the shorter cruises.

another poster had mentioned that Carnival replaced the cup sizes at the self service drink area; which is why I always take my own travel cup for coffee, lemonade etc...

Frankly, in my opinion, they will only be able to cut back on the food so far; alot of people cruise for the food! Frankly, I would suggest to all the cruise lines to do away wiht the midnight buffetts and bring back the BIG LOBSTER
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by msblackjack
Quote:

I was on a B2B on the Holiday. First was the 4 day, followed by a 5 day. Still love Carnival, but am concerned about these little cost saving measures and where will they end?
so it appears that Carnival AND Royal Carribbean are cutting back on the extras on the shorter cruises.... which stinks for me as I only go on the shorter cruises.

another poster had mentioned that Carnival replaced the cup sizes at the self service drink area; which is why I always take my own travel cup for coffee, lemonade etc...

Frankly, in my opinion, they will only be able to cut back on the food so far; alot of people cruise for the food! Frankly, I would suggest to all the cruise lines to do away wiht the midnight buffetts and bring back the BIG LOBSTER[/quote]

Princess has done away with the midnight buffet and they now serve a miniscule lobster tail with two large prawns. I had two helpings.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Quote:
I always knew there was something off about you.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msblackjack
Quote:

so it appears that Carnival AND Royal Carribbean are cutting back on the extras on the shorter cruises.... which stinks for me as I only go on the shorter cruises.

Frankly, in my opinion, they will only be able to cut back on the food so far; alot of people cruise for the food! Frankly, I would suggest to all the cruise lines to do away wiht the midnight buffetts and bring back the BIG LOBSTER
Princess has done away with the midnight buffet and they now serve a miniscule lobster tail with two large prawns. I had two helpings.[/quote] well darn, so much for my idea.... well since all the cruise lines are serving mini lobsters maybe there is another reason; a shortage of big lobsters

Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Admiral

I always ask for seconds and thirds on the lobster!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just order as much as you like!!!!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
Captain

I think it's a matter of not being able to have it both ways anymore. We really can't expect 4 or 5 days cruises for 250 bucks or lower AND huge, unlimited lobsters one night of the cruise to go with it. As many have mentioned, you can order all you want anyway but I'm sure the cruise lines have figured out that even if you order 3 or 4 small ones they are still saving more than serving up 2 huge ones. I'm not a huge lobster fan but I'm guessing these smaller ones they are serving now are the cheaper "rock" lobster...Generally found at Red Lobster etc.

I agree about doing away with the midnight buffets. I think most ships are phasing them out especially on the shorter cruises. Most that still do it are only doing it 1 night per cruise at least on the shorter cruises. With all the pizza, room service and other places to get food I think they are a little unnecessary.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:52 PM
Admiral

this is what ours was like last week, I did get 2 servings:

Captain
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
Admiral

I'm glad to see you got a little tail on your cruise. Looks tasty.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Quote:
I always knew there was something off about you.
I am so very pleased that you could recognize that

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

That lobster and shrimp combo looks pretty good to me!!
And true to form, I too order two.

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old March 4th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I'm glad to see you got a little tail on your cruise. Looks tasty.

you have such a way with words, Kat

btw, you got mail
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Oh dear,,,,,
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Oh dear,,,,,
Did I shock you. Cause I'm kind of proud of that. 8)

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Shock, no.... as at my age nothing you can do or say is new, unless its drug related.

Amazed yes, once upon a time when we had a real world and when people actually talked. Back then actual real life scenarios like that one above would have happened face to face and they would get a room for a "little tail"...Oh dear was that innuendo, was it?

For you young folks, the sad thing is some of us old folks actually lived in an era with other people that did not have a thing called the internet that we could "flirt on".

So, we did our "flirting real time" and face to face (or in other positions if you got lucky)….. We got off our asses and took our chance in the real world. I despair at the number of people that feel that “talking on the internet? is your real life and important in you life . And web board flirting is my worst scenario of all that is wrong in web conversation.

Glad I did my flirting back then and not on some anonymous digital place that would get me nothing in return 8)

Am I taking the "fun" out of boards like this, actually no. I want fun and discussion but fun and discussion that all can relate to and not a personal never to be met in reality "chat up line". There are I am sure, other web sites or boards that will cover that need
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Shock, no.... as at my age nothing you can do or say is new, unless its drug related.

Amazed yes, once upon a time when we had a real world and when people actually talked. Back then actual real life scenarios like that one above would have happened face to face and they would get a room for a "little tail"...Oh dear was that innuendo, was it?

For you young folks, the sad thing is some of us old folks actually lived in an era with other people that did not have a thing called the internet that we could "flirt on".

So, we did our "flirting real time" and face to face (or in other positions if you got lucky)….. We got off our asses and took our chance in the real world. I despair at the number of people that feel that “talking on the internet? is your real life and important in you life . And web board flirting is my worst scenario of all that is wrong in web conversation.

Glad I did my flirting back then and not on some anonymous digital place that would get me nothing in return 8)

Am I taking the "fun" out of boards like this, actually no. I want fun and discussion but fun and discussion that all can relate to and not a personal never to be met in reality "chat up line". There are I am sure, other web sites or boards that will cover that need
I'm happily married and so is captain he knows I'm teasing. Just to let you know, I was shy when I was younger. But I became a hairstylist and realized it was more fun to be relaxed and say what I feel like. I write just like I talk my hubby has been embrassed before by what I have said. But I never have been. I'm sorry if my having fun is causing you concern but as it was not directed at you I'm certain it will all work out in the end. I promise to never flirt with you in a way the makes you uncomfortable or in a way other web sites or boards that cover that need do. BTW I don't visit boards like that as you see for the start of the post I'm happily married part of the key to a happy marriage is to stop dating or visiting the types of websites that you refer to.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Captain
Since the topic here is Lobster Captain I have to say your tail looks so good!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Captain
Since the topic here is Lobster Captain I have to say your tail looks so good!
and tasty, want some?

Captain
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Captain I never say no to Lobster!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 9th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Great cartoon CQ.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I do not understand what the problem is, You can have as many as you want. The last cruise i was on I saw people at our table order 8 plates of lobster.

Laura
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
---Mark Twain

Old March 18th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Captain

I remember the days when Carnival served NO lobster at all. Having said that I am perfectly happy having Lobster & Shimp and ordering a second if I need to. At least its a better deal then Red Lobster yuck.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

My gripe is that the lobster is not very good. I've had better from my supermarket.

Free Cruise Clocks