Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:53 AM
david30101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol Rod View Post
While there is a general consensus as to what is aesthetically pleasing, beauty is relative and based solely on opinion. To that end, the subject of who should or shouldn't wear this or that can never be made matter-of-factly and certainly will never be won. However physical appearance is a real and valid point of contention. If it weren't so, weight loss and cosmetic surgery wouldn't be the multi billion dollar industries they are.
I have my preferences just like the next guy. Mine may be very similar to someone else or very dissimilar. That doesn't make them right or wrong - just different. So I won't beat that dead horse.
I will ask though, why there seem to be this reverberating double standard when it comes to men in brief swimwear. Again, considering the general consensus of what is found to be attractive, If a man should find himself comfortabely within that category, why is there such animosity toward him for donning a "Speedo"? Granted, society has made the female the showpiece and granted her much more freedom in fashion but why is a striking gent relegated to fashions that leave him covered? I'm sure you ladies appreciate a little eye candy too right?

Repsol

AMEN!!!.. BTW, Ive been wearing Speedos since mid 1980s, I dont even own any traditional mens "normal" swimsuits or "boardies" whatever you call them. As long as I still look decent, I will continue wearing them.

Sorry if this is a old topic, I have a habit of reading old topics and may make a comment or 2. Here is a pic of me in a Speedo taken March 2012.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120324_163157.jpg (97.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120324_163321.jpg (93.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by david30101; April 30th, 2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old April 30th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Admiral

So this is about you, not the freedom to choose or folks that think they look one way in their head and not the reality that the rest of us have to experience when we to have to visualise in reality their "life" , okay fine I can accept that

To be honest laughing so much, the discusion did not bother you, it was just a chance for you to post some pictures,,,go ego

Ah well if it makes you happy,,,mmmm
Old April 30th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
So this is about you, not the freedom to choose or folks that think they look one way in their head and not the reality that the rest of us have to experience when we to have to visualise in reality their "life" , okay fine I can accept that

To be honest laughing so much, the discusion did not bother you, it was just a chance for you to post some pictures,,,go ego

Ah well if it makes you happy,,,mmmm
I agree 100% just a way to highlight his ego.
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:20 PM
david30101

Im not pushing my EGO at all.. Your more then welcome to post pics of your own if desired. Nobody is stopping you.. I guess it would make it more proper if I posted a pic of me in Boardies?? Your another example of anti speedo on guys. . Im comfortable in my body.. Are you?
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:55 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

Here's my motto to the naysayers.....
"You know what the difference is between me and you? I make this look good"

Ok, so its actually from 'men in black' but I use that quote quite a bit

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Admiral

I personally believe that people should wear whatever they are comfortable in .
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:17 PM
First Mate

Doesn't bother me one way or another. Confidence always makes one look better!

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:21 AM
david30101

I was just defending the guy talking about the "doublestandard" with us guys wearing Speedos how society frowns opon it yet women can wear whatever they want. Thats all.. Then somebody gets all over me for showing my EGO with a couple pics.. .. Of course if you seen some of the albums posted in my profile, there are a few of me in Speedos etc. Plus I also wear kilts on a regular basis. Well that is a differnt topic.
Like others have said here.. I can care less what people think plus i can care less what they wear as well. As far as im conserned, if everybody walked around deck nude, it wouldnt bother me the least. More power to you. If you came up and said Hi, I would carry a conversation whether your dressed or not. Your comfortable what you wear out on deck and so am I.. Cheers..
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:43 AM
Admiral

There are double standards ,certainly in the US as far as attire .
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:10 PM
Banned
Captain

There is a time and place for everything (That goes for men and women)...Probaly on Mass market cruise lines you would see more of this....However on the more up-scale lines... people would dress in a more conservative style...Carnival, NCL, Royal Carribean and Celebrity and the rest as opposed to Silver Sea, Crystal, Cunard, ect.......
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:46 PM
Captain

Thumbs up

Buttons, you need to lighten up. If the guy wants to wear a speedo, then what is really the problem? Just because "you" don't like it?

Don't look, keep your head down and read a book, go play bingo but jeezzzz, let people be who they are and wear what they want.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old May 1st, 2012, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
There is a time and place for everything (That goes for men and women)...Probaly on Mass market cruise lines you would see more of this....However on the more up-scale lines... people would dress in a more conservative style...Carnival, NCL, Royal Carribean and Celebrity and the rest as opposed to Silver Sea, Crystal, Cunard, ect.......
That would depend on what might happen on a particular sailing. The "norms" of what's acceptable pool deck attire can be quite different in the population of people from outside North America. And on the lux lines you're likely to find a much more international blend of passengers.

If you're expecting all your conceived "ills" are not going to be an issue on the lux lines, you could be easily disappointed.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM
david30101

Quote:
So If I was on Cunard for example.. I would be sitting on deck out in sun in a Tux and Tie?? I dont think so... This is not the age of Titanic where all skin is covered.. Mabie for you, but not for me.
If thats the case, then I wont be on any "High end" cruiselines.
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:00 PM
Admiral

I wore jeans on a Cunard sailing .
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:21 AM
david30101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post

.. Guess you didnt run into "buttons16" on that sailing did you??
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101 View Post
So If I was on Cunard for example.. I would be sitting on deck out in sun in a Tux and Tie?? I dont think so... This is not the age of Titanic where all skin is covered.. Mabie for you, but not for me.
If thats the case, then I wont be on any "High end" cruiselines.
Please find my quote or anything that resembles me saying "Wear a tux and tie on deck at the pool.
My quote is more like traditional swin wear as opposed to a speedo. Hope you understand that point.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:29 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
What does wearing jeans on a cruise have anything to do with wearing a speedo at the pool ? I'm sure I don't have to explain to you what I mean when I say wearing more conservative style of bathing suit.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
.. Guess you didnt run into "buttons16" on that sailing did you??
And I'm sure you will meet many people who dislike that style of swimwear but are to affraid to mention it or won't admit it..I not saying I would say anything to you, but that doesn't mean I have to approve or like your style. Its just my opinion but I find it very tasteless. But then again I feel on formal night men should be in tux and tie or a dark suit and women in gowns or dressy outfits...You might seem ok to wear shorts at formal night.
I did notice you like Carnival cruise line..That type of swim wear is acceptable on that line...In fact IMHO any type of outfits are acceptable on Carnival.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:47 PM
david30101

Quote:
And I'm sure you will meet many people who dislike that style of swimwear but are to affraid to mention it or won't admit it..I not saying I would say anything to you, but that doesn't mean I have to approve or like your style. Its just my opinion but I find it very tasteless. But then again I feel on formal night men should be in tux and tie or a dark suit and women in gowns or dressy outfits...You might seem ok to wear shorts at formal night.
I did notice you like Carnival cruise line..That type of swim wear is acceptable on that line...In fact IMHO any type of outfits are acceptable on Carnival.
I never said I "wore shorts" in the MDR.. Which i dont. After 18 cruises, I do know what is worn and not worn for dinner. As far as swimwear goes. It is what it is. You may not approve what i wear, but yet I may not approve what some women wear as well.. I dont let that bother me. The closests thing to shorts I would wear in the MDR is Kilts, which I do wear for dinner. Afterall, women have a choice of pants, skirts dresses or gowns, Well.. I wear kilts. No im not Scottish.. I wear them because I can. Speedos are worn on every cruiseline one time or another. I was alongside another "high end" ship in one of the ports, and yes I did see some speedos on that ship pool deck. Mabie you should wear boardshorts that goes past your knees for next several summers and you tell me how comfortable they are, staying wet for several hours after swimming, plus having a "redneck" or "farmers" tan on the legs. I wear Speedos for comfort reasons not for a status look.
This is my last post on this topic, Im beating a dead horse here.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
I never said I "wore shorts" in the MDR.. Which i dont. After 18 cruises, I do know what is worn and not worn for dinner. As far as swimwear goes. It is what it is. You may not approve what i wear, but yet I may not approve what some women wear as well.. I dont let that bother me. The closests thing to shorts I would wear in the MDR is Kilts, which I do wear for dinner. Afterall, women have a choice of pants, skirts dresses or gowns, Well.. I wear kilts. No im not Scottish.. I wear them because I can. Speedos are worn on every cruiseline one time or another. I was alongside another "high end" ship in one of the ports, and yes I did see some speedos on that ship pool deck. Mabie you should wear boardshorts that goes past your knees for next several summers and you tell me how comfortable they are, staying wet for several hours after swimming, plus having a "redneck" or "farmers" tan on the legs. I wear Speedos for comfort reasons not for a status look.
Ok ok ok, I have a solution for everyone......let's all agree to disagree....and david, if you have more picsto post, you can just send directly to me to avoid further controversy

Leopold Stokowski
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Gee folks - why all the fuss. I would just like to know how you book a cabin without mirrors - they must be a lot less expensive. Wonder if you can get one with a balcony :-)
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
I never said you wear shorts to dinner....I stated "It might seem ok for you to wear shorts to dinner...No matter how you slice it, I still find it tasteless to wear speedos at the pool...Traditional bathing suits are far from boardshorts...In fact basic swimwear is what a majority of people wear...thats a fact.
BTW this is just a discussion..why would anyone think that this is arguing...Just because someone has a opinion on a subject that is not to your liking does not mean you are right or wrong...all we are doing is discussing. If anyone thinks its some sort of argument, then you are wrong. Take a side and make your opinion, thats all.
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Admiral

I still say there is a double standard in this country .I favor the Brazil way.
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
I still say there is a double standard in this country .I favor the Brazil way.
I respect your opinion, and I do happen to agree with you about a double standard.
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Admiral

As a Scot why does the person in a couple of post above wear a kilt if he's not a Scot? But to be fair to you, if you do wear a proper kilt then good for you. However to clarify a kilt is a tartan piece of clothing made of wool, not nylon or any other material. If its not tartan and has no clan affinity in its pattern, then its a skirt, and something that women wear, not men as far as we Scots are concerned. Please do not confuse kilts with skirts
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Default Buttons

Quote:
I respect your opinion, and I do happen to agree with you about a double standard.

Thank you
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
As a Scot why does the person in a couple of post above wear a kilt if he's not a Scot? But to be fair to you, if you do wear a proper kilt then good for you. However to clarify a kilt is a tartan piece of clothing made of wool, not nylon or any other material. If its not tartan and has no clan affinity in its pattern, then its a skirt, and something that women wear, not men as far as we Scots are concerned. Please do not confuse kilts with skirts
Great post !
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:04 AM
david30101

Quote:

You just pulled me back into this discussion.. Since when is there a "law" about someone of non Scottish blood to not wear kilts? Yea, I may not wear the same kilts as you do that cost hundreds of dollars and made of Wool.. Which would be very uncomfortable in the southern climate where I live and cruise. So I wear other types of "kilts" whatever you call them by other manufactures that make them more suitable for every day wear in other other parts of the world that dosent have Scottish (cold and damp) climate where wool would be more suitable. I live in GEORGIA USA where it can get near 100 deg and 100% humidity during summer, Not Scotland.. I can wear any type of mens kilt at any time of the day or season. There is no law against it like in Scotland. like your saying.. If I offend you by my style of Kilt wearing, im sorry.. Ill just make sure Im not on the same ship as you on any future cruises. The last 3 cruises Ive worn my style of kilts with allot of positive results. I dont think you would last very long with wool wrapped around you walking in some of the ports in the caribbean unless you only plan on wearing in the A/C climate of the MDR. I wear mine all time, not just during dinner.

As far as the type i wear, that is between you and the manufacture, How about you send them a E mail and tell them there not kilts for men but skirts for women.. they are= sportkilt, Utilikilts, 5.13 tactical, and Elkcomando from REI/Moosejaw. I only wear them, I dont make them.
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:39 AM
david30101

So.... To sum this up... As long as I dont take the same cruise as Mr and Mrs Buttons and Mr "Scott" in the future, we will all be happy....
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
So.... To sum this up... As long as I dont take the same cruise as Mr and Mrs Buttons and Mr "Scott" in the future, we will all be happy....
As long as you are "Drawn" back into this thread....I did'nt say I would not be happy if you were on the cruise I was on(Please point that quote out to me). What I'm AMsaying is I prefer people who dress more conservative on a cruise line...Someone would probaly see more of this type of swim wear on lets say Carnival, NCL, Royal Carribean and even on those line the majority of people will be wearing classic swimwear...I just find speedos to be somewhat tasteless.