Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Beginner

Default Country Music Cruise

We booked a Christmas cruise for my daughter through ***edited to remove commercial content***out of Texas. It was billed as a 'country music cruise.' My daughter and her friend were promised a gift when they got on board, a cocktail party, concerts, question and answer session, game night, etc. They received none of these things and in fact were kicked out by the agent herself of the mandatory orientation meeting being told it was a fan club only event, which is was not. They were not contacted again or given any information for the duration of the cruise. Numerous emails to the company and even a filing with the Better Business Bureau have all been ignored. Thank goodness Ecstasy was such an amazing boat so they had plenty to do, but regardless this was handled in an extremely unprofessional manner. Beware of this travel agent!
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Bummer.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

This sounds odd. Most music cruises like this one has to pay extra to be involved in the music events onboard, and you require extra documentation or tickets onboard unless it is a full-ship charter.

It sounds like possibly they were just booked as regular passengers on the cruise, and were not signed up to attend the music events. If that is the case, either they were misled by the agent (she wasn't the agent responsible for booking the fans) or they chose to try to go as regular passengers and see if they could get into the events while onboard without paying extra but couldn't.

I looked up the agency in question and they appear to be the agency conducting the musical events on board. Frankly, it doesn't make sense that they would exclude anyone who paid the fare for the music events, but it is possible that they booked them as regular passengers by charging them less and told them in advance they would not be qualified to attend the shows. I would have to see their cruise contract to know what really happened.
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Country Music Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbiedoo
We booked a Christmas cruise for my daughter through ***edited to remove commercial content***out of Texas. It was billed as a 'country music cruise.' My daughter and her friend were promised a gift when they got on board, a cocktail party, concerts, question and answer session, game night, etc. They received none of these things and in fact were kicked out by the agent herself of the mandatory orientation meeting being told it was a fan club only event, which is was not. They were not contacted again or given any information for the duration of the cruise. Numerous emails to the company and even a filing with the Better Business Bureau have all been ignored. Thank goodness Ecstasy was such an amazing boat so they had plenty to do, but regardless this was handled in an extremely unprofessional manner. Beware of this travel agent!
It's so funny that the mods edited the name of the cruise line but the name of the cruise ship. Oh well I guess it will remain a mystery.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The mods took out the name of the travel agency. Since we don't know the facts of the case we don't want to spread negativity about the business.
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

[color=darkblueThe OP never mentioned the ship??][/color]

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
The mods took out the name of the travel agency. Since we don't know the facts of the case we don't want to spread negativity about the business.
Okay, sorry I thought it was the cruise line.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Beginner

Debbie, I would think since you chose to handle this through the BBB that you would have directed your correspondence there and awaited their response (which can take some time) rather than vent on a public message board. However, since you chose to air your complaint publicly I will step in and comment on some of your statements. Remember, you were not on the ship--you only heard your daughter's side of things.

All cruise guests who booked through the Texas agency were seated together at dinner, so it would have been next to impossible for someone not to know how to find out what events were happening or how to find out what else was going on.

Also, there was a large marker board posted in one of the main areas next to the pool deck where events were posted each day.

I could address more of your issues here but it seems useless at this point. I was on the ship and you weren't. I saw and spoke to your daughter several times and she seemed to be having a great time.
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Beginner

To the earlier poster, they were booked the same and with the same price as everyone else with the country cruise, as verified by the poster above.

The people they were seated with were all new 'fans' they did not conduct their conversations around the artists on board. Since they didn't want to bad mouth the artist and since they had been publicly embarassed already, they simply didn't mention being kicked out of the first night's orientation meeting by Vickie herself. It was the responsibilty of the person in charge who made the error and was aware of the error to follow up with the information on the events the girls had paid for. She knew where they were and how to find them.

There is no way they could have known where to look for the dry erase board as they were KICKED OUT of the meeting where it was explained.

You did speak to my daughter the last night of the cruise and when she told you what had happened you agreed she should speak to the travel agent.

The agent has ignored registered letters, emails and phone calls. She did not respond to the BBB in the allotted amount of time and because she isn't registered as a business with them they had no other recourse. We gave her 3 months to respond including a letter last week informing her we would warn others of her shady practices. She still remains mute. Had she at any time explained herself this grievance would have never seen the light of day.

I find it interesting the fan club president and the artist's mother are the ones defending the travel agent and the agent still remains silent.

As I stated in my initial post, my daughter and her friend did have a wonderful time, but that is a credit to the cruise line and not the events they paid extra for.
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Beginner

I am now going to stoop to your level on this since again, YOU WERE NOT ON THE SHIP. I spoke to your daughter more than once. One time in particular she was at a bar with one of the musicians. I stopped and spoke with her in passing and not a word was mentioned about any of this and this happened EARLY in the cruise. She seemed to be having a great time. Also she was in STRIPES, another bar, every night where she was actually seen dancing with the artist's road manager. If she was concerned about missing the activities and she's mature enough to be in the bar, why could she not ask him about it? She didn't seem embarrassed at that time.

Debbiedoo, you know me and you know I ALWAYS go out of my way to speak to both you and your daughter. She did not seek me out on the ship--I literally chased after her when she was not allowed in the FAN CLUB show and offered her a solution for admission which she refused. As you'll recall, she had already decided she didn't want to be a fan club member due to disagreements with other fans earlier in the year.

It has not yet been 3 months since the cruise so you're stretching that a bit.

The travel agent, to my knowledge, is not responding for several reasons. I'm NOT speaking for her but only guessing that since you chose to take it up with the BBB she is letting them handle it. With that being said some of your statements in reference to that are false. Therefore, I have to wonder about the validity of some of your other statements.
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Thanks, Kat, or the great picture of my home ship!

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Thanks you got to love wikipedia sure the facts may be wrong but the pictures are great.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Beginner

Default Final

No, again, I was not on the ship, but I PAID FOR IT. She is friends with the people you mentioned, all of whom told her they didn't know what to tell her, they didn't know either what was going on either until stuff happened due to poor organization.

If you were keeping such close tabs on my daughters' activities, why at any time didn't you ask her why she wasn't at functions? She thought she was supposed to be notified the same way they were the first time and that they were being intentionally left out. She chose not to confront any one but the one responsible, Vickie.

Yes, you do speak to us and we speak to you. This has nothing to do with you, I only did this after other resources were exhausted to try and provoke Vickie into taking responsibility for her own business. The night you are talking about, you did seek her out, offered her a way to spend more money and acknowledged the fact she should pursue her gripes with Vickie.

She refused to join the fan club because of her job, as you well know. And the problem with the fans, again as you well know, consisted of her being called vile names by fans. She has never been a paying member of the fan club though I and two other family members have been.

You are absolutely correct it has not yet been three months. We are 6 whole days shy of that.

I'm not sure what's unclear about this, but after you file a complaint with the BBB they try to contact the person. If that person does not respond and is not a member of the BBB there is nothing they can do and they close the file. This file has been CLOSED. I have talked with them enough and got the same answer enough to know this, unless you want to call the BBB liars like you have my daughter and I on here and other places.

I only posted this at all to try and provoke some sort of response from Vickie, which has not occured. If you were so concerned about this matter, at any point you could have contacted me via email, explained that for some reason you felt this was about you and I would have deleted my posts. Had Vickie stepped up in a professional manner none of this would have happened PERIOD.

I sincerely apologize to this board for airing this here.
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I spent years in the music business booking nightclubs and promoting concerts. I have also been on music cruises where all events had to be worked around the ship's schedule. The music organizers program is at best a "suggested guideline" because the ship will change events around all the time. Not to mention what it is like to work with musicians and their lifestyles.

The events program was obviously posted on a public board which all members were using as the "official announcement board" for the music events. Your daughter was not isolated, she was mingling with several other people on the same cruise. Everyone was using the same board to find the events, only a sleepwalker would fail to understand how things were being coordinated.

The organizer and your daughter saw each other several times. If your daughter was having such a bad time, why didn't she speak up? Is it up to the organizer to read your daughter's mind and know she didn't have a clue?

Did the organizer fail to notify her what was happening onboard? By what I read above everyone else "got it" that the board was the program. Did she other people with programs, and if so why didn't she ask "where did you get that?"

Instead she just did nothing, apparently assuming she "wasn't invited" to all of the events? Then what did she think she paid for? Did she have a badge or ticket? What did she think that was for? When she witnessed events happening why didn't she go up and ask "who is this event for?" Did someone tell her she was NOT invited to the events?

To use words like she was "kicked out" of an event she didn't belong in, and then admit she was chased down and that they tried to explain to her why, and she didn't want to hear it indicates she was choosing to exclude herself.
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Is your daughter shy or fairly young? Was this her first cruise? If your daughter is young, shy and this was her first cruise then when she was kicked out of the mandatory orientation meeting she may have been to intimated to push.

In the old days I was shy. I know hard to believe. I didn't speak up to defend myself. Because she didn't insist on be let into the orientation meeting my impression is that she was intimated. Once that happened even when she was unhappy with the cruise and wanted to ask about certain events she was to embrassed. That is to bad because sometimes in life you need to demand fair treatment and stick to your guns.

My impression of the travel agent is that she should have called Debbiedoo and addressed her concerns directly. The worst thing Debbiedoo would have done is yell (big deal I get yelled at all the time.) However, the TA not address this issue and hoping it will go away is wrong. These things never just go away. Debbiedoo I'm glad your daughter enjoy the experience of cruising. Miscommunication is the number one reason problems occur. I have watched two people making the same point, disagree with each other because either one is listening.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Beginner

Paul Motter - There are a few things you apparently misunderstood.

1) The above person saying she was on the cruise is NOT the organizer.

2) You confused the two events I'm talking about. My daughter and her friend were told to leave the orientation meeting held the FIRST night.
My daughter was approached by the person who wrote above, the fan club president, at the fan club event that my daughter was standing outside of on the LAST night.

3) My daughter had no way of knowing there even was a dry erase board (because, again, she was told to leave at the beginning of the orientation meeting!), much less where on the boat it might be.

4) The agent did approach them the second day, she handed them a lanyard, but did not say what it was for. She did tell them there was a full band show that night (the only event they attended.) The agent said that they had been kicked out of the orientation by accident because someone else had signed in as them. She then walked off giving them no other information. My daughter and her friend never saw any other events taking place until the last night.

5) There were no programs for her to see other people with. The problem wasn't that the schedule changed, it was that she was never given a schedule at all, nor was she given the information needed to find the information out.

6) My daughter never 'didn't want to hear' anything. The problem was what she was told didn't add up. How could the organizer incorrectly say her own orientation event was a fan club only event? She herself told them it WAS a fan club event and was the one that told them to leave. As for the other excuse she gave them, how could someone else be pretending to be them when the agent had met my daughter before the cruise and knew exactly who she was?

Logically nothing made sense to the girls. Could they have been more forceful and made a big scene? Sure. Instead they chose to avoid a situation they were uncomfortable with. That does not change the fact that they were treated in an extremely unprofessional manner and have continued to be treated that way since then.

katlady - Yes, my daughter is very shy by nature and this was her first cruise. This is also not the only time she has been singled out. This group of fans booed her, as a group, in public while she was receiving a gift from a radio station at an event. She has also been called vulgar names and made fun of by some of the same people that were on this cruise. So, yes, I would say she was intimidated. The only reason she went on the cruise was because I booked it for her as a present early last year before things got so bad.

Thank you for 'getting it.'
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Admiral

I'm sorry this was her first cruise experience. Because most cruise people are nice friendly people who try and make the first time cruiser feel at home. No one likes to be booed or thrown out of events. I hope she will try another cruise this time with regular people and not fan club people. What singer was this?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Beginner

Default PM

Katlady,

Check your PMs. Thanks again.
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Can you find out in advance that a cruise is going to be based around 'Country Music'....Ahhhh cruise nightmare from hell.

Any chance the number of people jumping off ships these days is in any way related

Not being harsh, but I could turn up as a happy person at that nights entertainment, listen to songs about, she left me, she died, she died and left me with the kids, plus when she died, she fell on my favourite dog and killed it.

Gonna jump
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Admiral

I like all music and I mean all music, rap, country, heavy metal, punk, classical, and R&B. As long as the music has emotion I'm all good. Debbie I replied to your PM.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Can you find out in advance that a cruise is going to be based around 'Country Music'....Ahhhh cruise nightmare from hell.

Any chance the number of people jumping off ships these days is in any way related

Not being harsh, but I could turn up as a happy person at that nights entertainment, listen to songs about, she left me, she died, she died and left me with the kids, plus when she died, she fell on my favourite dog and killed it.

Gonna jump
I love it.

Old March 4th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Beginner

Default Update

We finally received a LATE response through the BBB from the "TA" in the form of a three page poorly written, convoluted letter filled with outright (easy to dispute) untruths, innuendo and blatant attacks on my daughter's character. Exactly what you'd expect from a 'professional' business letter right?
Old March 4th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbiedoo
We finally received a LATE response through the BBB from the "TA" in the form of a three page poorly written, convoluted letter filled with outright (easy to dispute) untruths, innuendo and blatant attacks on my daughter's character. Exactly what you'd expect from a 'professional' business letter right?
They can't even spell interest right on thier website. A whole letter must have been hard of them. Maybe you should correct it, grade it, and send it back to her. I'm just kidding.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Misspellings aside (because they are not germaine to the case) what is the next step?

You contacted the BBB and she responded. You say it is late, but apparently they accepted it, so was it filed within the required response time or not? Maybe it just took awhile to get to you.

Where are you going with this? I don't understand what you want. And as far as attacking someone's character, that is exactly what you have been doing to this travel agent, so it seems like the expected response to me.
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Beginner

I have attacked her professionalism. That's a far different thing from her character.

The first line of her own letter stated the response was late.

What I want hasn't changed. I want people to be aware and knowledgeable before they sign up for and spend their money on things and I want an apology for what happened to my daughter.

As for the slanderous things she accused my daughter of in the letter, I'm not sure yet what we want, that will be up to our lawyer.

I won't comment here again unless it's to post the link if the BBB decides to post both her letter and my response as they sometimes do.

I am interested though in why you, Mr. Motter, are taking this so personal and completely ignored my responses to the detailed questions you asked.

I will ask you one though, she states in the letter someone had taken my daughters credentials at the first meeting and that's why they were asked to leave. If this is true wouldn't you think the top priority should have been finding the impostors instead of removing the correct girls?

If you'd like to continue to disbelieve me in private, feel free to PM me.
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Captain

Ok I'm lost As I understand it with these themed cruises you usually have to book through the authorized TA to be part of the group. We are considering doing one of these cruises which among other things features a band we both like. The flyer said you must book thru "XYZ" travel (obvously not the real name). Was this done?
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

What a horrible situation. I wasn't there, so I don't want to take sides, but I would love to know what could be done to settle this, and also could someone PM me with the name of the band.

Good luck to all.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Beginner

The band has nothing to do with any of the above.
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

<< I will ask you one though, she states in the letter someone had taken my daughters credentials at the first meeting and that's why they were asked to leave. If this is true wouldn't you think the top priority should have been finding the impostors instead of removing the correct girls? >>

Somehow I completely missed this. In any case, the story seems to change every time I read it. First it was a fan club meeting she was asked to leave because she isn't a member, now it was an "orientation meeting" now I am hearing that her credentials were "stolen?"

Is it me, or is the story constantly changing?

The first meeting was for fans, only, according to follow-up posts.

The agent gave her a lanyard the second day. And as i said, she was hanging out with other people the whole cruise. She wasn't isolated. She could have helped herself. The agent was onboard - your daughter could have approached her at anytime.

Let's just say I would feel different if the daughter were here herself, since she was the one on the cruise. To be hearing all this from someone who wasn't even there strains credulity IMHO. Other people who were there say you daughter was with the band a great deal of the time, and that she seemed to be having fun.

People make mistakes, if your daughter is so damaged I would prefer that she were here to tell her story.
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:57 AM
Beginner

Default Last Response.

Joe, yes, this cruise was booked through the artist's authorized Travel Agent.

Luanne, since the cruise the entire band has quit working with this artist.

Mr. Motter, since you chose to ignore my request to talk in PM if you had other questions, and since you seem so overly concerned about this, I will say the same thing one last time.

The story is completely changing because you are apparently confusing the story. What I have written hasn't changed at all.

The first nights meeting WAS the orientation meeting. The girls were asked to leave by the travel agent who TOLD them it was a fan club meeting. The next day the same lady approached them and told them they were asked to leave the night before because two other people had signed in as them. The travel agent told them TWO COMPLETLY DIFFERENT STORIES about the first night's meeting.

They did not approach the travel agent again because they knew they had been lied to and were very uncomfortable with that.

They did ask the band member, whom my daughter is friends with, what was going on, but he didn't have any details. She didn't push it because she felt her problem was with the TA and no one else.

Again I didn't say she didn't have fun, she did. What I am saying is that the situation with the part of the cruise we paid extra for was handled in an unprofessional, rude way on the cruise and in the months since.

My daughter is fully aware and providing the details of everything I post. She is extremely busy with her job, and is also consulting a lawyer regarding slander. I am the one that posted originally since the money involved was mine, so it made sense for me to be the one to respond.

If there are any further questions or comments that need to be responded to, I will do so in PM.