Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:45 PM
Admiral

Well said, David, respect galore for you my friend!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Admiral

8), Cant help it...long life the truth in life and not some prats expectations of others, that is based on NOTHING
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:51 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to DocJohnB

You know what.

We freaking earned it.

Don't like it, don't look.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, BUT rather to SKID In BROADSIDE, completely used up, totally worn out, and SCREAMING "WOW---WHAT A RIDE!!"
Old June 1st, 2008, 06:30 AM
Admiral

Yes we did.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 12th, 2008, 07:06 PM
First Mate

All I can say is there is a reason that the MRS and I still get a balcony room. We are in our mid 50's and don't have a problem with a little PDA. For those that think this is such a horrible thing I hope that you still have the urge for PDA. Public or Private when you get there.

Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:33 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Cruisemagnet

"As much as I appreciate your efforts to convince me that elderly PDA is wholesome and cute," mmmmm

I did not, try to convince you,,I was telling you get a life and let others get on with theirs. If seeing old doing PDA as you put it, then you have a lot to learn and a lot to live. SO actually I find you funny, like talking to a 9 year old
Agreed David. Even though cruisemagnet has not given an age (to this post point) she? does sounds like a 9 year old. "Ooohh, gross! Mom and dad are kissing!! Yuck!!" Or possibly a 9 year old whose parents split, dad left, etc etc.
How ludicrous to think that we feel less affection as we get older. My grandparents held hands to the end and he still told her she was 'his girl' even while she lay paralyzed after a stroke. It was precious. Ever heard of "practice makes perfect!" we're WAY ahead of you!

Cruisequeen--LOVED the pictures.
Old June 15th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Admiral

You made think again and become personal, great post, thanks

My Mom and Dad for all would have loved it, have never been on a cruise. And now in there 80's, they still daily show affection towards each other at home.

I have to remember that they have done that since they met when in their 20’s. So they are to each other a loving caring couple, and their world is each other.

And if they had been fortunate enough to be able to afford a cruise. They would still be the same way on ship,,,will they change that affection or love because of being ship….no. If anything it would make it more intense.

I sometimes suspect there is a little bit or maybe a BIG bit of jealousy in some others, when seeing people like this..

Its like 'because I don’t have it in my life' then 'THOSE OTHERS' not like me and do that, makes a GRIPE

Thats really sad
Old June 19th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Familiar Face

As we get older, our feelings of and for love and affection don't change. As far as PDA, have a little class and save the more intimate for private. A simple kiss, arms around each other or holding hands, no matter what your age is not a bad thing. To love and be loved is a necessity that we each have, no matter what our age. A cruise is a nice vacation away from the everyday chores of normal life. It's a great way to re-connect with your loved one(s), so of course we are going to show a little more PDA.
S.W.A.K.!!!
Star Princess-Alaska 2008
Star Princess-Alaska (again) 2009
HAL Oosterdam - New Year's 2009 into 2010
Carnival Spirit-Baja Birthday Cruise 2010
NCL Spirit - W Caribbean Bday Cruise Oct 2011
Island Princess -Alaska to Denali 2012
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2013
2014 Booked - Azamara Barcelona to Monte
Carlo
2015 Booked - Carnival Dream to Caribbean

Old June 27th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Great post, but I think we have already won this one. But I wil quote

"A cruise is a nice vacation away from the everyday chores of normal life. It's a great way to re-connect with your loved one"

8) 8) 8)

Great line and if some dont like it,,,,,tough. Get a life of your own.

Ever had a friend like that, that was more "excited" about your life and the problems you had to deal with, than their own life

Thats the sort of person who would question age and the personal affection shown by others.

Ie the big GREEN MONSTER......envy
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Admiral

cruisemagnet,
public groping is low class in any age group. But let me tell you this: while my wife and I have far too much class to 'hook up' in public, we've been married nearly 50 years -- we don't need your approval to hold hands or exchange a quick kiss. We've earned the right. Young people groping each other in public is gross and disgusting and always shows a contempt for common decency and lack of respect for the feelings of others. (Saw a couple get arrested for it on the 16th St Mall in Denver last week) Good collar!

I'm sorry you are offended by age cruisemagnet. There is a reason for that you know. You fear your own mortality. I assure you, you will be way past your prime before you know it. Then you will see the world thru different and far more rational eyes. Until then, happy nuerosis

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Thats cool and very well wriiten ....

This is the bit that got me though

"I assure you, you will be way past your prime before you know it".

ooohh how true
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Old Folks living life

I just read all the threads, interesting.
No commet, my last girlfriend was 16 years younger.
I went surfing this morning, I am on my way to the gym to swim laps at 5 PM, keeping the old ticker in good shape for scuba diving.

If I have a phyical attraction for a sexy woman whom is special and we drink some cold ones at the pool or knock off a bottle of wine, after dinner. I'll put up my do not disturb sign on my cabin door.

Danny 8)
Old July 30th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Admiral

"If I have a phyical attraction for a sexy woman whom is special and we drink some cold ones at the pool or knock off a bottle of wine, after dinner. I'll put up my do not disturb sign on my cabin door".

What's that expression again oh yes its.... "too much information'

But so happy for you
Old August 10th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Captain

JUst remember- Old is always 20 years old thatn you are!
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old August 10th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Good one, Hub. But, can we change that to 10 years? I'm running out of time!
Marty
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Admiral

A kiss in public, holding hands or walking arm in arm is a good thing. In a more "liberating" environment, I might pat the DW on the behind. Nothing serious but all in fun. Just to let her know that I think she is swell!

Old August 30th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Yeoman

Default Still don't know?????

I'm still wondering when you become an "Old Folks"???????????
Old August 31st, 2008, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Bill,
You become "old folks" when you decide you are...not a minute sooner, regardless of what other people try to claim!
Marty the youngun'
Old August 31st, 2008, 04:26 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Bill,
You become "old folks" when you decide you are...not a minute sooner, regardless of what other people try to claim!
Marty the youngun'
Thanks, that's what I thought and I aint there yet!
Old October 4th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Still don't know?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
I'm still wondering when you become an "Old Folks"???????????
When a younger man refers to you as a "young" man.

Old October 5th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Admiral

This age thing really gets to me, it feels like only yesterday that I went to secondary school (your high school), went on to work at 16 and 35 years later having never been a day unemployed "everything" feels as if it happened yesterday.

OMG

Yeh, have fun some 'young' folks with the age thing, but take this as true, it comes up and bites you right in the ass and quicker than you thought.

Do I see myself as my age and what expect that to entail, eh NO, do I see myself different to the person that went to High School,,, YES

Because, I lived a lot, I learned a lot, but in my head am I still the same person that went to High School all those years ago,,YES

It was just experience and social circumstance, that messed around with it, but I'M STILL ME
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:24 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to 17andacruiseaddict Send a message via Yahoo to 17andacruiseaddict

young people think it nasty/gross to see old people making out in public (im 19 and feel this was). but once those young people become the old people, they dont think of themselves looking like the people they used to make faces at when they were younger.
when u become that old person, u know that u still want to do some of the same things u did when u were younger. i know when im in my 50's and up im still going to want a boyfriend (if not married) and we will do things boyfriends and girlfriend do

Old November 12th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Bill,
Marty the youngun'
At 16 I thought it was 30- at 30 I thought 40, at 40 I thought 50, and at 50 that it must be 60 - I haven't made it to 60 yet so I can't say if I will be old then!

At 54 I don't feel old until I look into the mirror! My 18 year old self from 36 years ago would be shocked to know that I still reguarly "do it." !

Now I am shocked and repulsed when I see 16 year olds "hooking up," as I know from life's experience that they are much too young and inmature-and have no idea what "heck" they could be letting themselves in for.
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Ah, the million dollar scenario, life and how best to live it, and that is you do it for yourself, and not based on other peoples experiences...only your own age later tells you what worked and where you may have made some mistakes during it.

But you have got to experience that for yourself as a person

Yes, when older we can look at scenarios and see where it is going and shake our heads, but this is their turn to share the pain, called life, you have to let the person do their own thing 8)

Seen to many burst families due to "older people" knowing better
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:43 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to 17andacruiseaddict Send a message via Yahoo to 17andacruiseaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:
Bill,
Marty the youngun'
At 16 I thought it was 30- at 30 I thought 40, at 40 I thought 50, and at 50 that it must be 60 - I haven't made it to 60 yet so I can't say if I will be old then!

At 54 I don't feel old until I look into the mirror! My 18 year old self from 36 years ago would be shocked to know that I still reguarly "do it." !

Now I am shocked and repulsed when I see 16 year olds "hooking up," as I know from life's experience that they are much too young and inmature-and have no idea what "heck" they could be letting themselves in for.
so are you saying because you thought of yourself as 30 at 16 you didnt "hook up"? was it because you were so mature you knew that "hooking up" was...what? bad?
-----------------------------------

all old people were once young. right? all teens have hormones and urges. when ur older, u know that that summer love caused you heartache because u couldnt see them anymore. or u and your bf or gf didnt last in highschool. so what the "heck" are young people (teens) getting themselves into that most of you all didnt?
-----------
as for hooking up on a cruise. ive seen people in their 30's just meet onboard and do more than these teens do (which is good. u dont want your teenager doing some of the stuff they are doing lol) but whats wrong with the teen finding somebody they like and want to kiss? and omg god forbid they actually kiss. and if u happen to catch em and dont like it, i feel thats kinda ur own personal issue. do u expect them to go back to their own rooms to kiss and their parents walk in and think it was leading to something else? (probably could lead to something more if they were alone in a room so be glad they r out in public lol)
u live and u learn. if u dont live, u dont learn. have fun. be safe.

old people, u go and have fun too lol

Old November 13th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17andacruiseaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:
Bill,
Marty the youngun'

so are you saying because you thought of yourself as 30 at 16 you didnt "hook up"? was it because you were so mature you knew that "hooking up" was...what? bad?
-----------------------------------

all old people were once young. right? all teens have hormones and urges. when ur older, u know that that summer love caused you heartache because u couldnt see them anymore. or u and your bf or gf didnt last in highschool. so what the "heck" are young people (teens) getting themselves into that most of you all didnt?
-----------
as for hooking up on a cruise. ive seen people in their 30's just meet onboard and do more than these teens do (which is good. u dont want your teenager doing some of the stuff they are doing lol) but whats wrong with the teen finding somebody they like and want to kiss? and omg god forbid they actually kiss. and if u happen to catch em and dont like it, i feel thats kinda ur own personal issue. do u expect them to go back to their own rooms to kiss and their parents walk in and think it was leading to something else? (probably could lead to something more if they were alone in a room so be glad they r out in public lol)
u live and u learn. if u dont live, u dont learn. have fun. be safe.

old people, u go and have fun too lol
Actually at 16 I was terribly shy and prety gawky and unatttractive-so that was mor ethe reasonwhy I did not "hook up". I was a"late bloomer".

actually I was thinking of several people I have known over the years. Agood friend that died of Aids 15 years ago-still inher thiritie san dth eprime of life.

My sister and her husband have to be very careful-because he contracted herpes before he met her-they have been marrid 25 years and no she has never contracted it-because when he has break outs they abstain. but let me tell you, he is vry miserable when this happens and he stays miserbale for a week or more at the time. I am amazed that my sister has NOT contracted it, but sh eKNOWS from seeing him, she does NOT want that.

I have another friend, whose now 23 year old daughter "hooked up" with a jerk. Supposably he wanted a long term relationship. After he knocked her up, she learned he had three other children by 3 other women, plus she learned he had made another girl pregnant a month or so after her. guess what-she gets no child support and is raising her 5 year old daughter with her parent's help. My friend also gets very frustrated that she is almost 60 and feels she will have to work the rest of her life, to help her daughter support this child. Before this, she had planned to retire at 62.

That is what I meant- and I was referring to 16 year olds, BTW-you say you are 19- I HOPE you are a better judge of people by now andwill not make such a foolish mistake.

If you look at an earleir post in this thread you will also see the story of my now ex sister- in- law's friend who came home from a Myrtle Beach high school graduation celebration trip in the early 70's pregnant. Because she was drunk, at the time she conceived, all she knew about her baby's father was his first name and that he was from North carolina. She had a boy the following late February, after taking this trip in early June. (1970 I think) So now there is a 37 almost 38 year old man somewhere whose 56-58 year old father has no idea he even exists.
Old November 13th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Admiral

momofmeg

All of us can give advice based on OUR experience, but this is another's life, and they will do no matter what anyone says for their experience, or their own thing.

Not all life scenarios are the same, But yes some traps that have been available for 100's of years will still happen, teenage pregnancy, drink, drugs, etc.

Generations before us have tried to advise on things like this, but its like farting into the wind, accept they will always do their own thing as people and individuals. That’s how its always worked, generation after generation comparing their life and the older folks stand back and shake their heads, and say "not in my day" as the comment.

Well actually in your time people did, but at least today the young through education are aware of all these risks, including STDs etc.

Times change, my problem is they seem today to grow up too quick, they miss out a big chunk of childhood and innocence. I have Great nieces at 10- 14 years of age that talk as if they were 21,,,that’s really sad in my view, as they have been robbed of the innocence some of us had at certain ages,,,,but thats society today
Old November 13th, 2008, 02:34 PM
First Mate

hey, i don't want to be a party pooper, but hasn't this thread gone on long enough. i've been deleted for continuing much shorter adventures. haven't all the points been made. yes, i could be grossed out by over-the-top displays of pde, but i've never really seen it. and us oldies may be wrinkled on the outside, but you know what they say about the fire on the inside. so, hold hands, kiss gently, and take care of one another. i wish i had some one to do that for me -- cruise ship or not.
Old November 13th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Admiral

, cool
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Admiral

[quote="hombre"]hey, i don't want to be a party pooper, but hasn't this thread gone on long enough. i've been deleted for continuing much shorter adventures. haven't all the points been made. yes, i could be grossed out by over-the-top displays of pde, but i've never really seen it. and us oldies may be wrinkled on the outside, but you know what they say about the fire on the inside. so, hold hands, kiss gently, and take care of one another. i wish i had some one to do that for me -- cruise ship or not.[/quote

Hombre- I find it interesting because I am one of those older folks the OP meant!