Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default curfew on RCL

Just returned from the Jewel of the Seas. Was amazed that curfew for children 17 and under was 1 a.m. - without adult supervision. Guess I am just an old fuddy duddy but I wouldn't allow my kids out until then at home let alone on a ship. Think about it - any age up to 17.
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: curfew on RCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by valtime
Just returned from the Jewel of the Seas. Was amazed that curfew for children 17 and under was 1 a.m. - without adult supervision. Guess I am just an old fuddy duddy but I wouldn't allow my kids out until then at home let alone on a ship. Think about it - any age up to 17.
Just what hour would you make a blanket "one size fits all" curfew? Seems to me that RCCL is erring on the side of reasonableness here. In the end, the curfew hour is up to parental discretion which, if not exercised by 1 am, would be subject to action by RCCL.

If you argue that parents are incapable of such decisions you become complicit in the ever encroaching "Nanny State" that has been foisted on us.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:05 AM
First Mate

Default Parental Controls

I have to agree, parents should be the keepers of their children, but today it seems they can make them, but they can't raise them!

RCI's 1am time frame is pretty reasonable when you consider it should be the parents setting the limitations.

As the old saying goes, "Nothing good happens after midnight"
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Actually I am amazed at the fact that a line or ship has a curfew, how does that work in reality?

But if they do, then its a good start, but some posters will try to go down the 'human rights ' THING’ or angle or make a big deal out of the actual hour it happens..... but what are we talking about here in reality?

KIDS under 17 doing what they want on a ship and after 1am and with no adult supervision. Sorry I don’t see the problem in a curfew, kick their A** into bed, and its just a shame the parents could not have done it first.

Don’t get hung up on them being under 17,,as that could mean that they are 8, 9 or 10 in age, mmm, think about it.

The reason we are going towards a 'Nanny State' is just that word in its true sense… 'Nanny', some of these kids need one, as their parents are not doing the job, especially on vacation when they 'themselves' are just having a good time and social responsibility from them to the children appears to go over the deck.

God forgive the person who came up with the idea that you could no longer control, chastise, react or all the other things parents used to do regarding the control of their children.... as they are now 'little people'.

It must have been an influental ex hippy or two that made society buy that crap 8)

No they are not, they are children and until they live long enough to learn social responsibility,,,then its your job as a parent to control it /them.. But so pleased you made a few million on your book on such a lovely theory , but not so pleased that you left the rest of us to pick up the pieces in society.

Oh and pet hate, those parents of that frame of mind that expect me to talk to a child as if it was an adult and allow them to contribute to adult conversation,,,,,wrong, get to bed.
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the imput folks. What brought it to our attention was a Grandmother of a 9 year old girl complaining that she couldn't get her up in the mornings because she was out until 1 a.m. every night. Complain, my butt, do something about it. God forbid that these little grownups should ever hear the word NO! This was a beautiful little girl that looked like a teenager. Scared me. Shall get off my soapbox now and get on with more important stuff like when my next cruise will take place.
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Shoot people can't even train a dog there is no hope of a kid. However, if I see your under 17 year old child out after 1AM don't expect me to do a dang thing. I don't have kids so it's not my problem to rise yours. :evil: If the kid is causing trouble I will report them to get them out of my hair. Sorry, life'sabeach that is just the way I feel.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Passenger

DELETED
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:15 PM
Admiral

I was just kidding around. I shouldn't comment on kids either and I have none and I'm having a hard time trainning my new puppy Buddy Boy. He got toy obsessed and was taking in all the other dogs toys.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Don't go blaming this on the hippies.

This hippie poster and those I know (including my inlaws and their friends) - are among some of the toughest and strict parents that I know of (with my kids confirmation on this fact).

No reason to generalize where bad parenting comes from. There are bad parents and good parents in all the different social categories we can be bucketed into.

We simply just need to kick ass on all those parents who choose not to do the job they signed up for when they had children.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old April 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Admiral

"We simply just need to kick ass on all those parents who choose not to do the job they signed up for when they had children. "

Okay totally agreed, but lets be honest it was the laid back "be yourself as a person" large or small, as we are all ‘individuals’ that came from the hippies, and that helped influence a lot of this social attitude or behaviour today, especially from those that went into 'social service' and made parents feel through law that they could no longer control or chastise their children.

Not being able to chastise or correct a child as it may influence or change their ‘personal’ development all came from "someone’s" how to be a parent book or college degree, not reality. And I guess not from someone who grew up or wanted to live with what were traditional ways or values.

So, if it was not the ex or old hippies,,then who's fault was it, the introduction of this open society of children that do what they want and think its acceptable behaviour towards others?
Old April 2nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

My personal belief is that you can "be yourself" or be an "individual" and yet still show respect. I see that in my life, in my children, and in others.

I also do not believe it was one group of people or ideas in general that have brought us to this state. Other than "ideas" and "concepts", there are other economic, political, and social issues that have brought us the mess we see more often then we like and has put us in the direction of the "nanny state" concept.

While I certainly respect your opinion, I do not believe in using labeled groups (such as hippies, liberals, conservatives, etc. . . ) as scapegoats for why things occur. That would after all make the problem something that was caused by someone else rather than something we have all contributed to (either directly or indirectly) which then removes the concept of personal responsibility.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Vt,
Loved your post.
Amen,
Marty
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Okay, interesting and I take a lot of that on board as a person who was not influenced by the society I grew up in or others, so I will give you that.

As for the rest, "I also do not believe it was one group of people or ideas in general that have brought us to this state".

Well in the UK we call it the Thatcher years, and that was 'dog eat dog' 'every man for themself', get rich and stand on others if you have to do it.

Conservative values that ended up in BURST, but the social attitude it taught remained. Me Me Me Me.... I seen the BIG change then in social values

I am sure America went through the same with the ex actor.

As for hippies, peace man, Oh and what do old hippies do these days or do they remember Posted with tongue firmly in cheek 8)