Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

View Poll Results: Can you afford to still cruise this year?
Yes 63 71.59%
No 9 10.23%
Maybe 16 18.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Default Open Question: How is your money doing these days?

Strange subject for a gripe I know, and it really is a personal GRIPE. But I don’t know what’s going on in this world today. Who’s to blame?

What I may have had spare for 'vacation' or 'cruising money' is disappearing in front of my eyes, the price of gas, price of food, the price of everything Leaves me with not a lot to play with on ship this year.

At the same time we have cruise lines building and sending out more and bigger multi million dollar new ships by the week, I really wonder who can afford to fill them these days. I am guessing money is tight for a lot of people.

Okay, I am personally troubled on how I can afford to be there on ship, but the line execs must be as well, that is given the investment they bought into 3 or 5 years ago when they first commissioned their new 2008 mega ships.

Or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to christitunes

Yep, I think you are right.

I booked my first cruise to leave at the end of May and paid it off in March. I thought at the time I'd have plenty of time to save my "mad money..." Now it's looking like I won't have near what I thought; have not been able to put aside much in the last month between odd bills popping up and cost of living increases. Kind of starting to stress me out, but at least the air and cruise are already paid for; the worst that can happen is I just won't be able to drink as much or go to the spa. I'm not much of a gambler or shopper so I'm lucky in that regard.

So gas prices in the UK are spiking as well? Not like they weren't high enough to begin with...

Old April 25th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Gas Prices - Two thirsty SUV's in the house

Food Prices - Two nonstop eating teenage boys in the house (lucky they don't gain weight with all the food they eat)

Three trips booked for this year. However next cruise I will be a "Cheapo" cruiser. I will be using my seapass card only to open the cabin door! :o

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 25th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Admiral

While I voted "Yes" in the poll the finances are not as good as they were a year ago. Some changes in the stock market have lowered my "disposable" income. We also had a significant increase in our property taxes and that irked me plus the increase was about the cost of a cruise.

I too am wondering how things will change in future bookings.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Admiral

I voted "Maybe" the only reason being, my next cruise is actually in Jan '09. I've paid for 1/2 of the cruise with the rest due in Sept/Oct time frame. However, looking at hotel and airfare yet - I see that I'm scraping the bottom for more cash flow. After personal prop tax this month (May) I should be able to put aside X amount per pay period - but then comes Christmas - right before the cruise - bad timing, probably, but if I have to cut back I'll do it (on the cruise and land as well).

I love cruising, so I'll find a way!!!
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:48 PM
First Mate

I voted maybe. I priced a 5 day cruise with NCL. The flight was just a little bit cheaper than the cruise. I cruise solo. Needless to say i didn't book it. I will have to go back to one a year. Henry
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:20 PM
kookylabooka

I voted yes. Just booked #1 - a 4 day Bahamas. In june going to book #2 - a 7 day Eastern Caribbean.
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've booked a cruise for Feb. 2009

It helped to be able to use FF miles for one air ticket, shopped around for the pre-cruise hotel and using future cruise credits for deposit is a big help.

We'll cut back in other areas to make sure we don't have to skimp on our one big vacation each year.

We'll see how we are faring when we are ready to book our 2010 cruise.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Captain

Maybe esp since I can cruise from NYC and avoid the airfare hassle.

But I am getting married and that and remodling our new home take priority.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old May 3rd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Passenger

Money is a little tight after having emergancy surgery done on our dog, another car hitting mine on the way to work but we normally get a bonus at work in July so that will help pay off the cruise. We are lucky as we don't gamble or drink that much. Hopefully all goes well and we can still go.
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Passenger

I work at home so every time the price of gasoline goes up it's like I got a raise (good thing, that's about the only time I get one).

There must be something positive about the state of our nation's economy right now, I just can't think what it is.

Golden Princess 8/30/2008 -- 1st cruise but not the last!
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Admiral

When I posted this, I did not realise given my hermit role on CM and Gripes that Paul M had posted something similar on chit chat or one of those other "Hi" boards, so sorry for the duplication, but I dont get out of here much
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

I voted YES. I am going on a cruise in July... but we are not taking our annual anniversary trip to LAS VEGAS!!!!

We normally take 2 vacations a year, but with prices the way they are today... oil, property taxes, gas... we are only doing one vacation this year.
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Admiral

My money doesn't go as far as it used to.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Passenger

Default how is your money doing

as i just said in another post, i work 2 jobs in order to travel. i make a lot of sacrifes in order to travel. i refuse to stay home on vaction, i do that now when i am not working. i spend no money on eating out or entertainment, i save it for vacation. i also travel alone a lot on my vacations. the $600.00 was a life saver for me, i put it on my cruise for january. when i see people charging, charging and not even worry about paying they bills and then they complain about how how everything is expensive. i have no credit card debt. i am going to new york in aug. and that is an expensive trip. my vacations are the only things that keep me sane, since i work so hard to earn the money to go on them.
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Admiral

Thanks BECKYSOAP, your are at least living a reality and good for you 8) . You have a great time that YOU worked and saved up for in NY.

A lot of people as you know will just "charge it”, and to be honest I feel in the next 18 months a lot of us that are careful in credit will be picking up THEIR tab when they cant afford the plastic payments "as everything else has gone up", but the lender still has to make a profit.

Okay they get bust, as people their credit rating has gone, but we "normos" will pay for it in real money, as we will pay their price of budget failure in our loan interest, transaction charges etc to make up for them.

Not a great environment to book a cruise, if its payback is based on your credit card and “we will” worry about it later, especially if your income and normal expenditure does not meet your income.
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

The only reason I can afford to cruise is thanks to my mom and a hot real estate market. She sold her house for close to twice what it is worth and moved in with me, but around the same time she decided she couldn't take most of the money with her so she graciously gave me and my brother a fair chunk of money. I did spend a little over $10G on new electronic toys (52" tv's are sweet!)/appliances/furniture, and a real bed (opposed to my flat as a pancake futon, which caused bigtime back problems!). I soon realized that if I wanted to start saving for retirement I would have to put over 50% of my take home income into retirement savings to catch up if I want to retire between 55-60. Once I realized that I decided to put the money aside in an account for as many as seven cruises. I am able to save a fair sum each month to cover expenses and spending money. I'll be able to take two cruises a year through 2011. The cost of airfare is going to really put a dent in my spending because as it stands air fare to Miami for me has doubled from 750 to 1500+, and that is economy!!!!!

After 2011 I'll drop down to one a year and should have enough to cover that and have some left over for the next year!!!!!

I sure wish they would develop Star Trek like transporters, it'd save a lot of money and time!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Cant even think of a suitable retort, reply or answer that would not get me banned again,,,mmm....OHHHH, getting angry,,chill David

Okay here's one, thank God for your Mom in your life,,,so great for you.

Question.. How many cruises did she or your Dad take or experience when saving all up this money now being spent on 52" plasma TV's and cruises?

You never said in the post, is your Mom going as well with you on the cruises?

Is it just ME or does something not feel right about that whole scenario and all the questions it offers 8)
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Alas, my money is doing poorly. Its wasting away on raising my kiddo and a few dozen scouts. No more cabs and hotels - its mostly boots and tents these days. And it just gets worse - in January instead of a nice winter cruise all I can afford is to sleep in a snow shelter at a Philmont Kanik. Hmmm....wouln't mind doing that now on this hot and muggy Texas day.

Plasma TVs in Canada? Now I feel like a real poor American. Forced my deprived kiddo all these years to watch a small rabbit ears TV. He got even with me by learning to read at a college level by 10, making the honor society, earning 36 merit badges, playing viola, and turning into a master diver. Where did I go wrong - with a nice plasma TV I could have raised a cheaper, just turned teen Canadian* couch potatoe.

*Kiddo's gggrandmother was an illegal immigrant from Canada who sneaked into Spokane to have her daughter. What's worse she was a FRENCH Canadian illegal.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to DaBoyzTnR
Default Money Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB

Cant even think of a suitable retort, reply or answer that would not get me banned again,,,mmm....OHHHH, getting angry,,chill David

Okay here's one, thank God for your Mom in your life,,,so great for you.

Question.. How many cruises did she or your Dad take or experience when saving all up this money now being spent on 52" plasma TV's and cruises?

You never said in the post, is your Mom going as well with you on the cruises?

Is it just ME or does something not feel right about that whole scenario and all the questions it offers 8)
Hmm, like you, I really don't wish to say anything uncharitable, but I do hope it's all appreciated.
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Plasma TV's are going out of style
LCD HDTV's are the way to go!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 26th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Admiral

CQ,

Always bet on the winning horse. Life's much better that way.

So, put your money on Big Brown, and watch your movies on plasma screens.

LCD is an inferior format; and just as HD-DVD lost the DVD war, LCD will lose the HD-TV war.

All life is a horse race. Put your money on Big Brown!

Dean
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
The only reason I can afford to cruise is thanks to my mom and a hot real estate market. She sold her house for close to twice what it is worth and moved in with me, but around the same time she decided she couldn't take most of the money with her so she graciously gave me and my brother a fair chunk of money. I did spend a little over $10G on new electronic toys (52" tv's are sweet!)/appliances/furniture, and a real bed (opposed to my flat as a pancake futon, which caused bigtime back problems!).

Of course most parents when the time comes divide their fortunes to their children. I have already made a Will want to make sure when I go 6 feet under everything I have goes to my kids. That is if I don't spend every last dime on cruising!

P.S. your daughter is so cute is this a recent picture!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old October 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Familiar Face

How is your money doing these days?

What money?!!!!
Old October 11th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Look at the prices below from the latest CruiseMates Bargains Newsletter, we see 7-day cruises from $399! To mexico or the Caribbean (East or West coast).

Also read my latest blog where we talk about 12-night cruises for $399!
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/2008...week-cruising/

You MUST subscrib to our newsletter to see these deals every week.

I think a lot of you could afford these cruises ;-0

$399 7-Night Carnival Liberty, roundtrip Miami to San Juan, St Thomas, St Martin
America's Vacation Center 1-866-501-7271

$1099 Holland America Zuiderdam 10-nt Panama Canal & Caribbean RT Ft Lauderdale
BuyCruises.com 1-800-510-1786

Royal Caribbean "Splendour" 10-Night Mediterranean: Venice, Dubrovnik, Santorini, Tunis, Malaga, Casablanca, Lisbon
CruiseMagic: 1-800-474-5678

$975 Carnival Dream 2009 Christmas Balconies 4B $975 pp, 8B $1,095 pp - Great Group Rates!
CruisePlanners: 1-800-561-0802

$449 7 Night Royal Caribbean sailings to Mexico! Free insurance or prepaid gratuities included!
CruiseValue 1-800-231-7447

$399 Norwegian Star to Mexico: Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta. 2 FREE onboard coupon books.
America's Vacation Center 1-866-501-7271

$975 Carnival Dream 2009 New Years Balconies: 8B $1,125 pp, 8C $1,135 pp, 8D $1,145!
CruisePlanners: 1-800-561-0802

$1769 Celebrate Christmas & New Years on Cunard Queen Mary 2! 15-nt Caribbean from Ft Lauderdale
BuyCruises.com 1-800-510-1786

$699 Celebrity Cruises: 9 Night Australia! Up to $100 onboard credit plus Free Insurance included!
CruiseValue 1-800-231-7447

Old October 11th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Admiral

We can afford to cruise anywhere, anytime. The is due to the fact that we didn't splurge back in the days when we were both working and saving.
And, yes, we saved something every month while not spending our money on night clubs and expensive steak houses. We had no parents to leave us cruise tickets and 50 inch TV's.

We have credit cards with no annual fee which give us points for goodies, but we have NEVER paid one cent of interest. If we couldn't pay for it, we didn't buy it. Our investments are mostly with CD's which don't pay a lot of interest but which do not go down when the stock market does. We were fortunate to break even or make a small profit with the stocks and municipal funds we did buy, so we don't have any at the present time.

I guess that we have been lucky, but we have also been prudent. We both always felt that money is to be earned and that nobody including the government and our parents owed us anything.
Old October 11th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Thanks Paul, this is great advice
"Our investments are mostly with CD's which don't pay a lot of interest but which do not go down when the stock market does. "

I am taking this advice onboard and looking at the current Billboard Chart, which of the top 200 albums should I buy on CD as an investment?

8)
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Admiral

David, only if you can find some old unknown Beetles music that has been locked away in an attic somewhere and that no one has ever heard.
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Beginner

I voted yes, but it has been 2 years since we cruised. Am spending my child inhertiance but also taking her with us.
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes, If you can find the original "Ain't She Sweet" by the "Silver Beatles" on Vee-Jay on CD then that is worth a LOT of money.

If you can find the "butcher cover" of Yesterday and Today on a vinyl CD that is pretty valuable as well, but you have to make sure it is an original CD and not a copy.