Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Default Look below this post at the subjects..mmm

Once upon a time, "someone" posted a new Gripe and it then appears that they F'd off and left it behind.

Why do people do that? If it was so important and you were so angry when you felt the need to post, why don’t you follow up your own thread, give explanation, a retort, or give further information to meet your original thoughts? I find it amazing, its as if they just vented, but don’t want to follow it up or discuss it.

Maybe they should create a vent board that people can vent on without expecting a reply.

But I dont expect that on gripes as that should be discussion
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sounds a bit like griping about other people's gripes
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 25th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Griping about other people's gripes really ticks me off....

No, seriously, when someone has a gripe they usually want some reinforcement that they have a right to be upset about it. So, you would expect them to come back.

But then there are also the people who just want to spread around the vitriol and hit as many sites as they can. Those are the people who only leave one post and don't come back.
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Kuki says "Sounds a bit like griping about other people's gripes"

Yip,, it was pure and simple

Paul, ah well, all true 8)m But at least I responded to mine
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Look below this post at the subjects..mmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Once upon a time, "someone" posted a new Gripe and it then appears that they F'd off and left it behind.
A classic Troll encounter. Seems some people just can not be pleased. Even if something were to go exactly they way they planned/envisioned/hoped... there would still be something wrong. Trolls dart into a forum, bash the line, and then bolt without considering they could actually be the cause of their own "misfortune".
Sure, there are some legitimate gripes, but those that complain just to complain - well, they make great fodder for threads just like this.

Rep

Carnival Destiny 7-27-08
Carnival Glory 6-18-05
Carnival Fascination 6-7-97
Carnival Mardi Gras Summer '83
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Rep, I so agree and we have all seen it in the past Posts made just to get a reaction, throw the grenade in and then run away.

But I have to honest they sometimes give good subjects for discussion
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Admiral

There is a lesson here:

BEWARE OF:

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:08 PM
First Mate

I've found this to be an interesting site. Surprised at all the griping but it can be entertaining reading. But, I work with the general public and nothing ever ceases to amaze me. When I am on a cruise, absolutely nothing ever irritates me. Ever. Some people just like to rant.
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Admiral

I wish I had your patience, and this is posted as a constant in the "ranting" stakes,,but only here

Doug, how on earth did you get a copy of my formal night picture from the Celebration in June 1992
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Look below this post at the subjects..mmm

Quote:

Why do people do that? If it was so important and you were so angry when you felt the need to post, why don’t you follow up your own thread, give explanation, a retort, or give further information to meet your original thoughts? I find it amazing, its as if they just vented, but don’t want to follow it up or discuss it.

Maybe they should create a vent board that people can vent on without expecting a reply.

But I dont expect that on gripes as that should be discussion
Aren't there different classifications of a gripe? Maybe change the name of the forum to "gripes, venting and debate"

If I have a some bad experience on a cruise what can you say to make it better? Maybe somone may post a "gripe" that stirs debate. I have read lots of "gripes" on here. Not all require a response or discussion buy the OP.
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Agreed, maybe folks should gripe about a particular line or ship on that ships thread, as it will give others who read boards a basis for how others felt when they are thinking about booking a cruise with that line.

That’s what I do, pick the ports first, then the line and ship and then find comments from others about that ship or line. I don’t do that using "personal ship reviews" as they are just that, one persons diary or TA presentation, I already expect it to be good.

So I want to hear is what was not, and why, and from the general comment I will make up my mind where my dollars are going.

And for that mixed and honest opinion, I would look to the line thread and not gripes
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Interesting. You look at the reviews of others to pick a ship. Last year I booked a hotel over TG. before doing so I looked at their website, it seemed great. Everything I wanted beach, big room, nice pool with slide for the kids, tiki bar etc. I went to tripadviser to look for reviews. There were about 10. 5 raved about it and 5 said they would look elsewhere next time. All similiar reviews. How can I make a decision? I booked it, went and formed my own opinion on whether I would return. My first cruise was on the carnival Fascination. An ok trip but left me kinda empty in what I thought the cruise experience would be. I almost opted for a all inclusive beach vacation over another cruise, but took one anyway. This time on the RCI majesty of the seas. Great experience. I say look to CM to gather information on things to do, bring, places to go etc.. I would not choose a particular line based on someones experience.
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Admiral

I totally agree, but when you know nothing about something that you are about to spend a lot of money on, well.

Sometimes it helps when making that decision, and it's not just based only on a 'official' brochure.

At the end of the day, one does not fit all, and it has cost me a lot of money in the past to experience that

I will take on board others opinions and then gauge what I would want, and do I feel this line or ship will give it.

Put it this way, if I read post after post about how great the "party atmosphere" was on ship and everyone was "happy" and friendly...I would not touch it.

If I read person after person talking about hygiene levels, would not touch it.

If explained properly, its good advice
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Admiral

just out of curiosity......."a party atmosphere" "friendly people"........ you wouldn't touch this? what is it you are looking for. After reading many of your posts I thought I had you figured out, and then a curve ball.
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Admiral

I dont do "party" or the people that go with it..... so I pick my lines accordingly having spent a lot of money to decide who I dont want to cruise with in the future.

That is based only on the type of people I can expect to meet,,simple
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I dont do "party" or the people that go with it..... so I pick my lines accordingly having spent a lot of money to decide who I dont want to cruise with in the future.

That is based only on the type of people I can expect to meet,,simple
Understandable. Your a quiet, private guy. Knowing that cruises are about fun, relaxation etc.. what is it you look for in a cruise. Having read lots of posts about different lines where on CM do you find the reviews that suit your taste in cruising.
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Its general, if I was about to book a ship I would read any board including those outwith CM to gauge a feeling about how I would fit into this environment. I would Google the ship or line name for feedback like

Do the highlights others are showing, do it for me?
Do I want to be part of the lowlights others are highlighting?

There is no exact science available to find "anyone’s" perfect cruise ship That’s why it has cost me a lot of money, finding my perfect experience.

So far that perfect experience has failed me, as I have to share the experience with others,,,so I'm going to buy a cabin cruiser and do my own thing ,,joking

What do I look for?

No sign of party "fun" people or organised games or signs of a "do what you want" environment. One persons "fun" can be another’s nightmare.

What do I want yes, chilled, relaxed, but not falling over people and their kids and all the tack that goes with it...Not easy these days in bulk.

BUT, put it another way if you had asked me this question 25 years ago, I would have looked for being into the things I now say I don’t want.

That’s why bulk cruising and personal expectation of said ship or line is not the same for all.

I don’t want to be on a ship that appears to be a "youth" club at sea, but at the same time I also don’t want to be sailing on something that looks like its auditioning for Cocoon 3. So no easy answer 8)

"Understandable. Your a quiet, private guy". I will give you one out of the two, private yes, quiet no