Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Default Food quality on shorter cruises VS longer cruises.

Do you find the food quality to be better on a cruise that is 7 days or longer? I have been on a lot of 4 day cruises and I noticed a difference bewteen the food quality on that cruise and the 14 day cruise I just took. Is it my imagination?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Re: Food quality on shorter cruises VS longer cruises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Do you find the food quality to be better on a cruise that is 7 days or longer? I have been on a lot of 4 day cruises and I noticed a difference bewteen the food quality on that cruise and the 14 day cruise I just took. Is it my imagination?
Good question. You would think not, but you may be right.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Food quality on shorter cruises VS longer cruises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Good question. You would think not, but you may be right.
The Ribeye on my 14 day cruise was the best I have had without going to the "pay" restuarant. So tender you could cut it with a butter knife. I never had anything that good on the 4 day. Plus the ship was big so it had fish and chip and a mongolian bbq station. The fantsy class ship don't have that.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Admiral

I believe it is your imagination. I have been on short and long cruises and the food has always been great. If the cruiselines served a lower quality on the shorter cruises, then the customers would not choose to go to the longer ones with the same line.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Admiral

On a shorter cruise the cruise line has less of a chance to redeem themselves. On a 4 day if you have one bad dining room experience and 3 good ones you are more likely to remember that one bad experience. On a 14 day cruise if you only have one bad dining room experience and 13 good ones you are more likely to think of the food overall as being good.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Admiral

On our recent 5 day, the food was definitely not as good as we are used to on cruises. But, I think a lot depends on the sous chef on board. I used to be friends with one and the difference is much like different chefs on land. Some are just better than others, even using the same ingredients. Sadly, this one seemed to be unfamiliar with any seasonings other than salt.
Marty
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Sorry Katlady, I have to agree it may be your imagination and maybe because on a 4 day cruise everything is exciting and crammed into a short experience.

But, if you see the same things, people, and the variety of food for 14 or 21 days, it could change your opinion.

It’s maybe not that the food quality is different, but maybe as an individual in this experience you or me find as the days go on,,,, its not quite as exciting.

Personally, I can call on that one, as there are only so many nights that I can do in the dining room even on a 14 night job.

I get to the point that having eaten so much for 9 nights, I just want ' a snack’ be it buffalo wings or pizza., my gut can no longer face 2 or 5 courses 8)

But I have that choice given alternative dining
Old September 22nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
Beginner

I agree the shorter cruises have the same items on the buffets every morning and the quality of the food over all is less than a 7 day cruise in my opinion. I also found the midnight buffets were not as impressive as on a 7 day. I took several pictures of the midnight buffets on the 7 day and none on the 4 day.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
Admiral

I love pictures of buffets, but there is only so many I can eat. They dont appear to taste like the real thing.

On taste and not photographs,,,how was it?
Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:14 PM
Beginner

7 day cruise - looks 10 plus taste an 8 1/2
4 day cruise - looks 6 1/2 taste 6.
In all fairness though I only tried a few things at midnight It's not a very good time to eat!