CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   bathroom light switch on the outside wall on the RC Mariner. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/352163-bathroom-light-switch-outside-wall-rc-mariner.html)

beeker June 10th, 2008 09:14 PM

bathroom light switch on the outside wall on the RC Mariner.

Just got back from the Mariner on the Royal Carribean. It was fantastic. The only gripe I have from the 7 night cruise is that the bathroom light switch for the bathroom was on the outside wall behind the door. So if you opened the door and the light was not on, you had to step out, shut the door and then turn on the light.

We loved the cruise line and this boat - as you can probably tell from how picky this gripe is. We couldn't find anything important to gripe about.

gerif June 11th, 2008 03:38 PM

Gosh - never even gave it a thought - although the light switch for MY bathroom is outside the door, too.

Ron n Jon June 11th, 2008 04:22 PM

We could never see the reasoning behind having the light switch on the outside of the door. There is no way of entering a bathroom during the night and turning on the light without disturbing your cabin mate. Even entering and closing the door most of the way and slipping your hand out to turn on the light still lights up the cabin. But having the switch on the hinge side is even more nonsensical. When your cabin mate is a light sleeper one learns to remember where everything is in the dark...

DayvidB June 12th, 2008 04:29 PM

Is it maybe not the universal health and safety approach in that having an electric switch in an area that could be touched by wet hands, ie in the bathroom, is a potential cause of people being electrocuted, just asking. 8)

Same reason you don’t get a full voltage socket in a bathroom to plug your hair dryer in :D

Water meets electicity ='s death for the person making up the circuit

As for it being place on the wrong side of the door that’s wrong, and God bless designers, but its out there on a exterior wall for a reason
LOL

Snoozeman June 13th, 2008 08:50 PM

I believe the switch has been on the outside on most of the ships I've sailed. Must be a reason for it. We usually leave the light on during the night anyway.

nvabill June 29th, 2008 10:14 AM

Re: bathroom light switch on the outside wall on the RC Mari

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeker
Just got back from the Mariner on the Royal Carribean. It was fantastic. The only gripe I have from the 7 night cruise is that the bathroom light switch for the bathroom was on the outside wall behind the door. So if you opened the door and the light was not on, you had to step out, shut the door and then turn on the light.

We loved the cruise line and this boat - as you can probably tell from how picky this gripe is. We couldn't find anything important to gripe about.

Must say I have wondered the same thing myself, makes it impossible to turn on the light without disturbing your cabinmate!

DayvidB June 30th, 2008 03:21 PM

Personally, I can grunt, snore, fart and talk in my sleep and I have been told sometimes all at the same time :shock: .

The light coming on in the bathroom is a blessing for my wife, at least it shows I have been steered away from the wardrobes or balcony :shock: :D :D :D

Don’t mock this affliction men can have, strange bed, strange room, a couple of beers, in that scenario the bathroom light is like a beacon for the bursting bladder

NY Cruisin Mama July 3rd, 2008 01:44 AM

:idea: Take a nite lite or a flashlite - as most bathrooms are very dark and have
no windows - a light switch on the outside is logical - of course the location
is something else again.

richstacy July 9th, 2008 09:21 PM

I absolutely agree with Sherrie! I have the 'mature guy's' problem and I always take a small flashlight and a night light that I leave plugged in in the bathroom. Problem solved :!: :)

Manuel September 13th, 2009 09:01 PM

We allways keep the bathroom light on all night long.

TM

NY Cruisin Mama September 14th, 2009 03:09 AM

:wink: The other reason for the switch on the outside of the bathroom --- you
have to "step up" to go into the bathroom --- if there was no light --
I am sure some would take a nasty fall !!!! :cry:

Mike M September 14th, 2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY Cruisin Mama
:wink: The other reason for the switch on the outside of the bathroom --- you
have to "step up" to go into the bathroom --- if there was no light --
I am sure some would take a nasty fall !!!! :cry:

That's the best reason I've seen so far.

It also bugs me having it on the outside. More than once my wife or I have left the other in the dark because we wanted to turn on or off a cabin light and hit the bathroom light.

I can't function in total darkness so we just leave the TV on and turn the sound down.

Take care,
Mike

richstacy September 28th, 2009 11:10 AM

We always take a three watt night light and a small flashlight (that's a torch for our Brit friends).