Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM
First Mate

Of course the cruise lines care. Have you ever looked at the membership list? With that many people reading these postings, to say nothing of the number of non members who we brief on cruising, the numbers could be quite devastating to the future business of a line. The cruise lines read these postings! Personally, we wouldn't post otherwise.

To our knowledge there are no "Hotelmates" postings on the web where companies such as Hilton or Sheraton could receive and withstand such critiques without reviewing them.
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Passenger

I been to BAD HOTELS TOO but MOST GOOD HOTELS do try HARDER and they have REAL CHEF'S.
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Have you ever been on this line? In my experience they also have "real chefs" that also produce excellent food.

And if you don’t think so, what personal experiences of RCCL food would you like to bring to our attention? Compared to others Willy?
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

For what it is worth, a person is allowed to complain about an experience without being called names, and there are no rules that say you have to be a regular first or that you cannot post to more than one message board. To me all those statements are meant to do is obscure the fact that this person has a legitimate complaint.

I would also be very upset if it happened to me, and I would agree that 20% off a future cruise is not a fair settlement.

All things being equal, I would want compensation on the cruise I am sailing on - not a future cruise from the same company. Especially if I am unhappy with the service.

Any cruise can turn into a bad cruise - things can happen on any cruise line. It is how they respond to the problem that counts. No apology, no showing up to take the blower away, no immediate compensation. As the poster says, he didn't pour water on the floor, nor did he make a scene trying to get satisfaction. He waited to see what the cruise line proposed. he wasn't happy with it (and neither would I be) and he said so.

I truly don't see how you people can defend the cruise line in this case. Go ahead, flame away.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy q
Lets face it these cruise lines don't care anymore once you paid for your cruise up front they GOT YOU. At least at a hotel on land you can move out of the hotel before your stay is up I did it once and got some money back. On a cruise ship you can leave the ship but say good by to your money. I'm seeing a lot of people who not happy with the cruise lines these days. The cruise lines knows how much it would cost you to cruise on a private yacht or fly by plane to stay in these city's. And if the economy keep on going south THEY WILL CHANGE THEIR ATTITUDE REAL FAST. I'll be on a cruise this Aug with my wife and my 2 adult kids it may be my last cruise if they are rude to me. My cruise will cost around $10,000.00 not counting air fare and my land tours are already paid for. With extra meals for 4 people on land and on the ship it will add up real fast. If I have PROBLEMS they will hear about it on SHIP and at their HOME OFFICE. I hope there is none this may be my last one.
You are going to the cruise expecting to have a bad experience. With this attitude to start with it will be difficult for the cruise line to make you happy. The slightest thing will set you off, because you are waiting for it.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: At least sombody picked up the phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy
The good news for the company is consumers are still cruising. Despite the weak U.S. economy, demand for cruises remains strong, and cruise yields -- how much revenue cruise lines generate from each passenger berth each day -- have held up well. For the latest quarter, Royal Caribbean said its yields improved one percent.
8) 8) 8)

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 31st, 2008, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Sorry, but the next 8 -12 months will tell regarding the affect of the credir crunch on vacations and cruisin. Those figures are based on payed for, before all this hit us,,thats the reality,

I see a downturn in those either moving house or spending what could be once spare capital on vacations. People are going to sit tight and wait.

And the cruise industry will like others suffer, only so many out there with enough money that means that dont care.

We are at the tip of the iceberg
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:29 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Sorry, but the next 8 -12 months will tell regarding the affect of the credir crunch on vacations and cruisin.... People are going to sit tight and wait... only so many out there with enough money that means that dont care. We are at the tip of the iceberg
We believe it's not so much a question of people with the money to cruise, for we really think that those with the means to travel, are more discriminating than those who may be less fortunate. As we all witness the brochures in our mailboxes and the ridiculous prices offered, we know what is happening. Place 3500 people aboard a ship for a seven day cruise and price it as if it were a Club Med and you have the makings of floating hotel with party party party. It doesn't matter where the ship goes, where it docks or where if any culture may be found, it's party party party. Thank you but no thank you. Should the cruise lines address their product to the lowest common denominator, then let them fall when that segment of the economy has more important things to do with it's disposable income.
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Great post, and I will say again. With the credit crunch and the rising price of mortgages, gas, electricity, food etc.

I’m not sure when I will next afford my next cruise, but never mind a cruise, any vacation 8) As all my money is hitting running the home right now

But how can some people respond as if this scenario presented is "dreamland", and all is well.... they must have a lot of disposable income to play with….. and if so good for you. But if you are doing it all on credit card only and pay later,,,,mmm. Think again
Old August 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

One reason this downturn (call it a recession if you want) is so bad iss because people's "wealth perception" is so low right now that they are not spending.

The house is not appreciating at 15%/year anymore, the stock market is down, banks have cut their Home Equity lines of credit. People are spending less, especially on credit cards, because their limits have gone down.

The consumer is having a hard time "spending us out" of this recession. Almost makes you think trickle down economics might have a grain of truth. (that statement is intentionally ambiguous so you don't know what I really think). They actually say that when the tax rebate effect wears off things will probably get eeven worse. This is one of the worst economic times I can remember.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Admiral

So do you agree Paul, that the current 'financial state' will reflect itself in the number of cabins booked on ships over the next 8 - 12 months?

Or will people still go for it, and to hang with the economic situation?
Old October 28th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Beginner

Default Bad service

Almost all of the cruise ships have terrible customer service when it comes to resolving problems.

In fact once I was told by Carnival that they had so many complaints that it would take about six (6) weeks before I would get an answer.

Look at the FUEL SURCHARGE they are now paying less for fuel now than they did before they implimented the fuel surcharge but are they dropping it - NO (some cruise lines are dropping it in 2010) This is a cash cow for them. If you call back and negotitate with them they may give you an on board credit.
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Admiral

So, what are your tips in this negotiation when calling the lines?

Sorry it seems good and I agree in principle, but I have never heard of a scenario were you could negotiate your price or deal direct with the line, unless it on ship and well in advance and based on brochure prices.

Maybe I missed something, but would love to know how to it for the future if not this scenario.

"In fact once I was told by Carnival that they had so many complaints that it would take about six (6) weeks before I would get an answer".

Okay that bit, I can relate to that 8)
Old November 4th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron n Jon
Of course the cruise lines care. Have you ever looked at the membership list? With that many people reading these postings, to say nothing of the number of non members who we brief on cruising, the numbers could be quite devastating to the future business of a line. The cruise lines read these postings! Personally, we wouldn't post otherwise.

To our knowledge there are no "Hotelmates" postings on the web where companies such as Hilton or Sheraton could receive and withstand such critiques without reviewing them.
tripadvisor.com
Old November 4th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
For what it is worth, a person is allowed to complain about an experience without being called names, and there are no rules that say you have to be a regular first or that you cannot post to more than one message board. To me all those statements are meant to do is obscure the fact that this person has a legitimate complaint.

I would also be very upset if it happened to me, and I would agree that 20% off a future cruise is not a fair settlement.

All things being equal, I would want compensation on the cruise I am sailing on - not a future cruise from the same company. Especially if I am unhappy with the service.

Any cruise can turn into a bad cruise - things can happen on any cruise line. It is how they respond to the problem that counts. No apology, no showing up to take the blower away, no immediate compensation. As the poster says, he didn't pour water on the floor, nor did he make a scene trying to get satisfaction. He waited to see what the cruise line proposed. he wasn't happy with it (and neither would I be) and he said so.

I truly don't see how you people can defend the cruise line in this case. Go ahead, flame away.
Paul I can remember a "cruiseline loyalist" on another board who would blast anyone who made even a minor complaint about his favorite line. that is- until he had a bad experience on his line-boy did he change colors- he went for m a "loyalist" to a "bad mouth."

Me, I am suspicious of anyone extreme in their posts-whether they are loyalist or bad mouthers.

I agree with you, outside of the fact that this person was upset when she made this post, which probally did color her post a bit more negatively, I did not think she came off sounding extreme.
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Captain

I'm usually the hot headed one while my partner is alot calmer then me. We cruise alot and he is the one who goes and chats with the customer service people.
His calmness and quiet demeanor make the situation less stressful. Stuff happens; Take the 20% and have a fantastic next cruise.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012