Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Beginner

Default Royal Caribbean has the worst customer service

I have never received worst customer service in all my life. I was onboard the Serenade of the Seas on June 7, 2008 and had a problem with the shower pipe leaking and our carpet was wet. We told maintenance and they fixed the leakage but didn't do anything about the carpet. We called them again and they used a machine to suck up the water. The floor was still wet. We called them AGAIN and they told us they will bring an air blower to dry the carpet. At night we couldn't move the blower out of the room because it was so heavy that we could just push it aside. Our room was 165 square feet, it is really small to have that in the room and to walk around it in the dark to head to the washroom at night. Next day, our room had a really bad odor. I went to the guest services desk (which was the first of many trips over there and there were always line ups) and never did they apologize for our inconvenience. Shaun Veerasawmy (Asst. Guest Services Manager) called the floor manager to check out our room. He agreed with the odor and told maintenance to change the carpet. Maintenance said not until next morning. They didn't have rooms to switch us to and thus they shampooed the carpet to remove the odor. Shaun told us she will see how they will compensate us for the days of inconvenience and get back to me the next day with a letter in my room around 9 am or 10am. The fumes from the shampooing was just as strong as the odor and we were forced to sleep with it. The floor manager told us at night to call maintenance and they will take the blower out of the room for us. We called and they answered and said they will send someone to our room. NO ONE ever came! Next day after returning from the port of call, I returned to the room and no letter. I again made a trip to guest services and Shaun was not going to be there for another 2 hours. Shouldn't there be another supervisor or manager on hand?? She promised a letter and it was just a broken promise. Throughout the course of time I had to continue to chase for things to be done and chase for answers. All I kept getting were excuses. I went to the desk and she said that the manager was in a meeting all day and told me she still has yet to get an answer for the compensation. She finally got it and called me to tell me that she will give us a 20% discount on a future cruise. I told her it was unacceptable as it wasn't like we spilled water onto the carpet and got it wet ourselves. We paid for 7 days and should have received 7 days of no inconvenience and after this experience I do not plan on stepping foot on another Royal Caribbean ship ever and her answer was "the decision is final". She doesn't know what customer service means and instead of ruining 2 to 3 days she ruined the remainder of the trip. If you cruise with Royal Carribbean and have no problems with your stateroom then you will have a good trip but if you are unlucky to get a leaky room then it is like buyer beware and you have to just deal with it. Even their Corporate office refuses to apologize for their maintenance ruining our cruise. All I want is an apology and I was not able to get one from anyone. Please save your money and cruise with any other line except for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. I paid full price for a non-leaky room and should get some money refunded but again they do not know what customer service means.
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

So sorry that happened. I wouldn't like it either, but this wouldn't keep me from booking with them again. You didn't cause the problem, but they didn't either. Sometimes things happen. We had water overflow the aft pool once and our carpet was wet for two+ days. They had people cleaning and drying for hours late on the 1st night. We received absolutely nothing as compensation. I do admit a bottle of wine and a 'sorry' would have gone a long way, but I enjoyed the cruise and I didn't stop booking with them. (In fact I've been in that very same cabin twice since.)

Again sorry for your troubles.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Yeoman

You've never received "worst" service would be a good thing. Funny how one word can change a whole meaning. Nice first post? Did you enjoy anything about your first cruise, or have you just decided to bash a company for one little thing that went wrong.
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Posted the exact same thing on CC as a first post and probably every other board they could find. Other than that, no comment.
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Captain

Cruise Gripes! What a concept...a dedicated area for complaints right here on the boards. But these "drive-by" posters don't want to hear logic anyway.
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

This thread is on 3 outta the 4 message boards I post on........
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:39 PM
First Mate

Been on the Serenade a couple of times. It is a wonderful ship. Sounds like they did what they could to fix the problem. All this Serenade talk makes me want to book it again
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Doesn't this scenario sound vaguely familiar??
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Familiar Face

Default Nice try

For a free cruise. Make some lemonade and learn how to complain nicely.
RCI is has been wonderful for my three 14 day cruises. Guess I'll have to suffer through my next cruise without you charming folks on board. Dang.
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to cruzaddict

The whole time I was reading the post I was siding with the cruise line. I kept thinking...what did u want them to do? An apology after the fact, maybe, but only if the complaining is done constructively.

GEESH! You catch more flies with HONEY

Carnival Ecstasy 4-06, Carnival Conquest 9-07
Mariner OTS 9-08, Carnival Conquest 2-09
Carnival Conquest 9-09, Carnival Fantasy 1-10
Carnival Triumph 5-11, Mariner OTS 11-11
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Admiral

I gotta side with RCI on this one, the 20% off is a good compromise I think for a wet carpet. These "one hit wonders" and their obvious agenda driven posts aren't worth a real reply.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:17 AM
Admiral

I loved the Serenade of the Seas. It was my favorite RCCL cruise so far. Bob
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:00 AM
Admiral

Not good to have a wet carpet. However it was not your fault or RCCL fault. Sometimes these things happen and not only on ships but land vacations too.

20% off a future cruise is pretty good for a wet carpet I would not expect anything more then that. That is plenty.

But if you are so unhappy with RCCL then maybe another cruiseline would be best for you.

Enjoy your future cruises.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:09 AM
First Mate

Default Customer Service

I have always found that a customers attitude goes a long way in resolving issues. This customer had every right to complain about the oder and wet carpet, but how she did so probably dictated RCL's response.

I have only experienced very minor problems with my cabin, but every time the problems were handled in a timely and professional manner by RCL

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:09 AM
Admiral

hello fellow cruisemates, just to let you know, as a moderator on these boards my best advise is to just let this thread die out. since the original poster has not replied to any of your comments my guess is its just a gripe and a need to vent, i can move this over to the cruise gripes board if you like, you can reply here or PM me
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:13 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH8
Doesn't this scenario sound vaguely familiar??
First time poster on numerous boards. Gee I guess they really had a bad time. Any time at sea is better than being at work!
Mariner OTS- W Caribbean 10/08
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:30 PM
Passenger

Default Bad customer service on RCI

Hey ya'll,
I have never cruised before but if this person expects great rooms and wonderful, beyond belief customer service maybe they need to "fly" with the rich & famous. We can all have bad experiences in our life but we should not expect life to stop just because we are put out a little. Oh well, you can please some of the people some of the time but some of the people you can never please.
If this person wants perfect service, stay home and dream about it cause that is the closest they will ever get, I'm betting.
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:43 PM
Captain

Default Bad Cruise Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
hello fellow cruisemates, just to let you know, as a moderator on these boards my best advise is to just let this thread die out. since the original poster has not replied to any of your comments my guess is its just a gripe and a need to vent, i can move this over to the cruise gripes board if you like, you can reply here or PM me
Well, I hate to keep this thread going, but I think you should dump it into the cruise gripes board. When I look back at the 27 cruises we have done, the worst we ever had was very good.........
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:37 PM
Admiral

I had a simular situation on the Monarch OTS a few cruises ago. A water pipe broke right outside our cabin and it flooded us out. I called maint. and they brought in the water vacuums and the air blowers. All this happened at about 2:00 in the morning. We stood in the hallway while they worked. At about 3:00 we were let back into our cabin with blowers blowin'. The next day the oder of wet carpet was too much. We basically were displaced. We brought it to the pursers attention and they got us another cabin.
When we returned from our cruise we contacted RCI and they informed us that they had already been made aware of this by the crew and they gave DW and I certificates for 20% off our next cruise. That was 20% for each one of us. 40% , not bad.
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM
Admiral

I found RCCL's customer service to be excelent, I had one small complaint and they took care of it to my complete satisfaction.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Admiral

As I have posted before when these flameouts appear, I have never come across staff members being disinterested, obnoxious, nasty, flippant, etc. when a problem has arisen. This goes for Carnival and Princess also. As a previous poster has said, maybe a lot has to do with the attitude of the one doing all the complaining.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtropic
As I have posted before when these flameouts appear, I have never come across staff members being disinterested, obnoxious, nasty, flippant, etc. when a problem has arisen. This goes for Carnival and Princess also. As a previous poster has said, maybe a lot has to do with the attitude of the one doing all the complaining.
I agree with Subtropic. I have found friendly and helpfull staff on Carvival,Celebrity and RCCL as well, and they were allways ready to help you with any issue that came up. If someone does not have the right attitude it will work against him or her everywhere they go.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 3rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Royal Caribbean has the worst customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinlover777
...All I want is an apology and I was not able to get one from anyone... I paid full price for a non-leaky room and should get some money refunded .
Usually we are critical of the "line apologists" for not having a little more empathy for a customer with a legitimate complaint. But I think in this case the posting says it all.
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Admiral

My dad always said "cool heads prevail". I had a situation with RCCL, was pretty upset, screamed at my friend and then took a long breath and went to talk with a rep. I can say the situation was resolved and that they took great interest in making me happy. Bob
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
My dad always said "cool heads prevail". I had a situation with RCCL, was pretty upset, screamed at my friend and then took a long breath and went to talk with a rep. I can say the situation was resolved and that they took great interest in making me happy. Bob
Ragtiki your dad was right cool heads will allways come out on top.

I had a slight problem on the Liberty OTS and I did get an apology and a $200 credit for my next cruise as well as a complimentory bottle of champagne.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old July 4th, 2008, 01:44 PM
First Mate

Mom always said "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2010 RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
2009 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (so nice we did it twice)
2008 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (!!wow!!)
2007 Carnival Glory (Super Bowl - Bears vs Colts)
2005 Carnival Sensation (again)
2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old July 5th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgolfer
Posted the exact same thing on CC as a first post and probably every other board they could find. Other than that, no comment.
Read it there also.........no comment from me either!
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Passenger

Lets face it these cruise lines don't care anymore once you paid for your cruise up front they GOT YOU. At least at a hotel on land you can move out of the hotel before your stay is up I did it once and got some money back. On a cruise ship you can leave the ship but say good by to your money. I'm seeing a lot of people who not happy with the cruise lines these days. The cruise lines knows how much it would cost you to cruise on a private yacht or fly by plane to stay in these city's. And if the economy keep on going south THEY WILL CHANGE THEIR ATTITUDE REAL FAST. I'll be on a cruise this Aug with my wife and my 2 adult kids it may be my last cruise if they are rude to me. My cruise will cost around $10,000.00 not counting air fare and my land tours are already paid for. With extra meals for 4 people on land and on the ship it will add up real fast. If I have PROBLEMS they will hear about it on SHIP and at their HOME OFFICE. I hope there is none this may be my last one.
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy q
Lets face it these cruise lines don't care anymore once you paid for your cruise up front they GOT YOU. At least at a hotel on land you can move out of the hotel before your stay is up I did it once and got some money back. On a cruise ship you can leave the ship but say good by to your money. I'm seeing a lot of people who not happy with the cruise lines these days.
I disagree with you on that one. It is the other way around for me. I found in my travels that no hotel has service as on a cruise ship. Have stayed in anywhere from 3 star to 5 star hotels and All Inclusive resorts.

Sounds like you might be happier doing land vacations and not cruising.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas