Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Yes, welcome Charming, I look forward to our discussions, as your a thinker

HUB, you are correct in "but I must point out that the number of posts on this bulletin board is not a valid indication of cruise experience" That is so true, I wonder how many Admirals we have out there that have never actually been on a cruise or maybe one?

CROOOOZIN,,,"Sarcastic, aren't we?", eh I can be sometimes, especially when I see people so up their own A**'s that they expect interviews, personal profiles etc before doing dining with others.

Or in this case the dining room playing "musical dining room chairs" every other night for 2,000 people because "someone" on a table did not fit their personal profile in expectancy of others on this cruise. So move me, let me "interview" the next lot and see if they fit my personal profile of acceptance to dine with, its ridicules, unless extreme. But tell them, the fellow diner this is not what we want at a dinning table, its not acceptable!!

I could go through every moan on this board and they will fit the same profile of people that complain like this....We did nothing at the time regarding the person, but we will now complain here and in writing, sorry but they are in some ways cowards, its easier to think about it, or take action later

But NothinButblueskies got it right "When the conversation started to take a turn to the gruesome details, I think I would have had to say, "excuse me, but this is too much information and not what I want to hear during my dinner, so can we please change to a more pleasant subject?

SAY it it at the time and to the individual, not the Maitre'd as your cover for not wanting personal confrontation, or later on a web board. Your vacation is over by the time it hits the web board, moment lost, and you left with indigestion and a bad memory for all that money you paid
Old August 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
CROOOOZIN,,,"Sarcastic, aren't we?", eh I can be sometimes, especially when I see people so up their own A**'s that they expect interviews, personal profiles etc before doing dining with others.

Or in this case the dining room playing "musical dining room chairs" every other night for 2,000 people because "someone" on a table did not fit their personal profile in expectancy of others on this cruise. So move me, let me "interview" the next lot and see if they fit my personal profile of acceptance to dine with, its ridicules, unless extreme. But tell them!!

I could go through every moan on this board and they will fit the same profile of people that complain like this....We did nothing at the time regarding the person, but we will now complain here and in writing, sorry but they are in some ways cowards, its easier to think about it, or take action later

DayvidB to who is this directed? I can't be Crooozin because his only comment before the "Sarcastic aren't we" was this one.

"WOW!!! I would not have had the patience you did to listen to that. More power to you my friend."

Which was directed at the first poster. So which person who posted here do you think is "so up their own A**'s" I'm just trying to follow along.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Captain

[/quote]
DayvidB to who is this directed? I can't be Crooozin because his only comment before the "Sarcastic aren't we" was this one.

"WOW!!! I would not have had the patience you did to listen to that. More power to you my friend."

Which was directed at the first poster. So which person who posted here do you think is "so up their own A**'s" I'm just trying to follow along. [/quote]

I think he is directing it to Dannyboy who stated:

For future, when you board the ship, go directly to the dining room, get your table number and request the ages of persons seated at your table.

It appears that Dannyboy may have been profiling his potential dinner partners here, or he may have been making an attempt to be sarcastic. If Dannyboy is serious about his remarks, maybe he should request a table just large enough for his own party and he wouldn't have to worry about potential dinner partners.

We love meeting new people each cruise and, if it is only DH and I always request a large table. Yes, you do occasionally get a weirdo in the bunch, but we have found, for the most part, we enjoy meeting a diverse group of people. In fact we still correspond with several people we have met at dinner on our cruises.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Admiral

I think he maybe confusing Dannyboy with Croozin. Dannyboy posts in blue.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I think he maybe confusing Dannyboy with Croozin. Dannyboy posts in blue.
Yes he does, and I think that is who his remarks were aimed at.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Admiral

Thank you Kat for the clarification, and yes, I do have a mouth and i'm not afraid to use it. I'm not one who will sit their for any length of time and then complain on a message board, sorry. If I don't like something, more often then not you will know about it.

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old August 13th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Eh sorry, but I did react to my initial target of conversation, no confusion on my part or the other quoted, I had already reacted to them....but since then some posts deleted regarding my reaction to the guy in blue.

However

"Thank you Kat for the clarification, and yes, I do have a mouth and i'm not afraid to use it. I'm not one who will sit their for any length of time and then complain on a message board, sorry. If I don't like something, more often then not you will know about it."

Amen,,, and if you stand by that principle, you get what I get on well, welcome
Old August 20th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Default Re: colostomy bags at the dining table

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey
In the future how would one deal with a situation like this. I now realize we should have requested a different table from day one but we had no idea how bad it was going to be.
Speak to the matri 'd the first night ... ask to be moved to another table. Of course, this can be done "discreetly" so as not to offend, but do it.

There is no reason why you should have to put up with incompatible tablemates for even one night, let alone through the entire cruise. Then, after you speak to the matri 'd, don't let the matter drop. Stay on top of it until he moves you. You should be at another table by the second night of the cruise.

This is exactly why a lot of people prefer open seating dining. This sort of thing can't happen there. You eat with them one night and that's it.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 20th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
We requested a different table after four nights but the ship was full and the dining staff did not realize how horrible the situation was until the colostomy bag show and tell.
Full or not, they could have found something for you ... even if they had maybe one spot at a different table, and had to add an extra chair for a couple. There's always something available somewhere.

We had a similar ... though much less gross ... situation on one of my cruises. My cabinmate and I showed up for dinner on the second night of the cruise (too tired the first) and we sat down at a table for four. Shortly thereafter this woman and her husband walk up. She gives us a look as though to say "who in the h*ll are you?" She really didn't like the fact that we were there at all. Guess she thought she and her husband were gonna get this whole table for four to themselves.

Well, the husband sits alongside of me and the wife alongside of my cabinmate. Once we broke the ice, we seemed to get along ... or at least I thought so.

Later that night, my cabin mate told me she had no intentions of sitting at that table again. Apparently the husband picked his nose throughout dinner. I didn't notice because I was seated alongside of him, but my cabin mate got the benefit of the full show.

Luckily some friends onboard had a big table with a couple of empty slots due to someone taking ill. They weren't coming back to the dining room and I think they left the ship at the first port. So, we just moved there. Guess someone else got to eat with the nose-picker.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Rita,

Perhaps the nose picking was a sly maneuver to secure the table for themselves.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:52 PM
Beginner

I am a nurse and even that is inappropriate table chat for me! I would have pulled them aside and politely told them that.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
Admiral

"Apparently the husband picked his nose throughout dinner."

Gross in any stretch of the imagination, but I think Mike M called it right regarding the contrived outcome .

So.... if you want a table for two when placed on one that seats ten, scratch your bits, pick your nose, talk with your mouth wide open and for all to see, and if that dont work, just say "excuse me", but I need to go empty my bag, could you help me Table for one or two coming up

I'm sure I could use this Q or table buster scenario in other walks of life to get what I want. Lets think how we could use it, being so obnoxious that other people let you do what you want and they move, not you 8)

mmmm
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to SherryBabie

This topic is very interesting to me. People in the dining have always been friendly, but our thing is most people rarely sit in the dining room that often. We are guilty as well, we go to the specialty restaurants, sometimes we're just not hungry so we wait and go to the buffet later. Or we're not even on the ship!

I also have Crohns disease and wouldn't dream of talking about my personal issues at the table, let alone with people I'm breaking bread with. Saying that, I can't judge you or anyone else why it would take 4 days to ask to be seated elsewhere. A situation that is tolerable today, may not be tolerable tomorrow. What is sad about this, is that couple from Georgia. How lonely and pathetic their life must be! When I go on vacation, I want to escape real life and the trauma's I've been through. To dweal on that or anything negative is rude and such a waste of energy on a beautiful cruise.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Honest and true, what a great post, my respect SherryBabie and best of luck to you in having to deal with Crohns, it cannot be easy in life. So thinking about you, and you keep being yourself.

I agree totally on the Georgia couple, sadly it has become their life and their norm, and I guess they now know no different,,,quite sad really.

Just shoot me when I get to that stage
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Passenger

Okay, this verifies it for me... Anytime Dining is best!

If this happened, I would just select a different time/table/restaurant
Old September 15th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Reading all of this coupled with having had lousy table mates re affirms our desire to only cruise where there is "freestyle dining". Yes we have one line we like in particular, but would be open to other lines if they offered this. I don't go on a cruise to meet people at the dinning table, I usually go in groups, with my immediate loved ones, and other friends taking the same cruise, and make friends quite easily by the pool or other places on board. Even if I went alone, I would not want assigned seating, I would rather be alone . JMHO.
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Although the waiters were wonderful in terms of service it was not their responsibility to police the tables conversation. Yes in retrospect we should have left after the first few night but our other tablemates were wonderful and interesting people and we did not want to leave them in the lurch or appear rude.
Oh, I should hope not. There are actually people who don't mind this sort of conversation at the dinner table, polite or not.

My hubby sometimes starts talking about things at dinner without realizing what he's saying because he worked in a hospital for many years and is used to eating lunch with his coworkers, who also didn't realize what they were doing. I don't have to stop him as often as I used to, but I still have to stop him from time to time.

Maybe no one has ever stopped these people? You can stop the gross talk with a little humor. "Whoa there! Let's save this conversation for after dessert so we'll have something to look forward to!" If they don't get the hint, definitely BEG to be moved, and definitely tell the headwaiter why you want to be moved and what you did to try to fix the situation first. They'll probably have more sympathy for you and do more to try to find a place for you if you try to help yourself first.

This doesn't necessarily take an experienced cruiser. This is not a cruise-unique situation, necessarily. A little bit of social skill goes a long way.
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Delft makes an excellent point ,,,nice one and I quote

"I don't go on a cruise to meet people at the dinning table, I usually go in groups, with my immediate loved ones, and other friends taking the same cruise, and make friends quite easily by the pool or other places on board. "

In life we pick and choose who we want to associate with, we do. So what do the lines think they are doing when they put together a number or type of people together as if drawn out of a bingo machine?

In reflection the whole thing does not make sense, I agree sometimes it works, but thinking about it, freestyle is the way ahead. That way if I meet someone I want to dine with I can arrange it, and not being stuck in the dining room with "whoever" the line throws at me
Old October 22nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Admiral

I like being assigned to dine with other people. So often in life, we don't (or can't) take the time to get to know others. On a cruise, unless someone's behavior is really offensive, I like getting to know them, whoever they are. Have often found my mind a little more open, a little better educated by the end of the cruise.
Marty
Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
Passenger

I guess I can say I don't go on a cruise specifically to meet people in the dining room either, but I do find that I really look forward to meeting people in the dining room on the cruise.

On the last cruise, Dave and I ate in the dining room for nearly every meal - breakfast, lunch, and supper - and met tons of folks. Of all the people we met, we probably only met one or two we didn't care to meet again, and none of whom were total boors who spoke of unmentionable subjects at the dinner table. Perhaps we met one or two who didn't care for us. Who knows? But being too busy back at home to be so social, meal times were some of the biggest highlights on our cruise because we knew we were going to meet people and be social. Our suppermates were some of the most gracious people anyone ever met, and while we've not kept in touch since, they certainly made our suppers more enjoyable for that week. We hope we did the same for them.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Has anyone who has followed this topic from the beginning notice that the OP edited the original post and made significant changes that contradict their original post?

These changes:

The waiters now intervened but in the original post they didn't.

The title was changed.

A number of "additional" ailments are added.

This is interesting.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 22nd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Good catch, Mike!!!

I'm surprised that only Trip stated the obvious.....tell them that their topic makes you uncomfortable.
Perhaps that is what they do with their friends at home and don't realize that the people at the table don't share their interest in discussing bodily functions or lack thereof.
Personally, I would not hesitate to very politely advise that the subject is not something I am enjoying and would suggest another topic. The bands, other vacations. the cruise itinerary, etc.
They may appreciate being steered away.
If they continued after trying to nicely stop them then I'd pick my nose and put the booger on the lip of their water glass.
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Captain

On one of our cruises, DH and I went to the dining room for lunch (we don't really care for the buffet on Lido) and were seated at a table for 10. Everyone at our table seemed to be having a very good time with good conversation. The gentleman who sat next to me said nothing to any of us, but was very direct with the waiter. He focused on his meal very intently, ordered wine with each course, and each time he finished a course, he immediately wanted his next course served. He did not speak to any of us while he was eating his lunch. We noticed a heavy accent (Russian) when he spoke to the waiter. We thought he seemed a little odd.

As soon as he finished eating, though, he looked around the table and began to talk to us, asking why Americans did not drink wine with every meal, but mostly at dinner. He said it was his custom to have wine with lunch and dinner. He began to tell us how he was a Russian scientist I(retired) and all the things he had worked with, and his country's customs. He was a very interesting person once he opened up. He said he was a tour guide since he retired and did a lecture series on his trips. We all lingered much longer than usual just listening to his stories and were happy to have met him. It is those kind of dinner partners that we look forward to meeting on the ships and why we like to sit at the larger tables, particularly when it is just the two of us.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Good catch, Mike!!!

If they continued after trying to nicely stop them then I'd pick my nose and put the booger on the lip of their water glass.
That's an interesting approach.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
On one of our cruises, DH and I went to the dining room for lunch (we don't really care for the buffet on Lido) and were seated at a table for 10. Everyone at our table seemed to be having a very good time with good conversation. The gentleman who sat next to me said nothing to any of us, but was very direct with the waiter. He focused on his meal very intently, ordered wine with each course, and each time he finished a course, he immediately wanted his next course served. He did not speak to any of us while he was eating his lunch. We noticed a heavy accent (Russian) when he spoke to the waiter. We thought he seemed a little odd.

As soon as he finished eating, though, he looked around the table and began to talk to us, asking why Americans did not drink wine with every meal, but mostly at dinner. He said it was his custom to have wine with lunch and dinner. He began to tell us how he was a Russian scientist I(retired) and all the things he had worked with, and his country's customs. He was a very interesting person once he opened up. He said he was a tour guide since he retired and did a lecture series on his trips. We all lingered much longer than usual just listening to his stories and were happy to have met him. It is those kind of dinner partners that we look forward to meeting on the ships and why we like to sit at the larger tables, particularly when it is just the two of us.
One of my most interesting college courses was on Mutli-cultures and how to do business in different countries. It was a very informative class. Before I travel out of the country I like to understand some of the culture. What is considered right here maybe rude in another country.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Thanks Mike I did quote the original post back on July 14th, but did not realise the "story" had changed since then,,mmmm. I said back then to the original quote of

"We requested a different table after four nights but the ship was full and the dining staff did not realize how horrible the situation was until the colostomy bag show and tell."

"Sorry this don’t add up"

And it does not add up still and even more I wonder what the truth was. There you go folks, do it and make up your own mind......Think about the people that could be giving you advice on a cruise board. The advice is there if you read more than the last two or three posts on a board, well it is on most threads 8)
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Good catch, Mike!!!

I'm surprised that only Trip stated the obvious.....tell them that their topic makes you uncomfortable.
Perhaps that is what they do with their friends at home and don't realize that the people at the table don't share their interest in discussing bodily functions or lack thereof.
Personally, I would not hesitate to very politely advise that the subject is not something I am enjoying and would suggest another topic. The bands, other vacations. the cruise itinerary, etc.
Only Trip? I guess several of us are invisible. Or maybe you aren't reading posts from the newbies?

Sorry Trip...putting the shoe on the other foot - I missed the part where you said it. Or I was reading so fast I forgot.
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave'sGirl
Quote:
Good catch, Mike!!!

Only Trip? I guess several of us are invisible. Or maybe you aren't reading posts from the newbies?

Sorry Trip...putting the shoe on the other foot - I missed the part where you said it. Or I was reading so fast I forgot.
Well, I assume you are referring to your post where you said you would BEG to be moved if they didn't take the "hint". Yes, I did read your post. I guess I should clarify what I was trying to say:
If a minority (2) of people at a table of ten is making gross talk I would stand up for the 8 of us...and you can tell if the others are bothered.
No, the answer is not to drop hints and then beg to be moved. The answer is to make it clear that their subject matter is unacceptable.
If they insist on continuing to offend you and the others then THEY should be moved.
Old October 25th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Admiral

"Only Trip? I guess several of us are invisible. Or maybe you aren't reading posts from the newbies? "

Well I do and I appreciate them, and in the same way that the patients in the local sanatorium enjoy meeting new faces, as they are fed up eating with those they share the medication round with

Come the NEWBIES kick these old gripers right up the axx.
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave'sGirl
Quote:
Good catch, Mike!!!

Well, I assume you are referring to your post where you said you would BEG to be moved if they didn't take the "hint". Yes, I did read your post. I guess I should clarify what I was trying to say:
If a minority (2) of people at a table of ten is making gross talk I would stand up for the 8 of us...and you can tell if the others are bothered.
No, the answer is not to drop hints and then beg to be moved. The answer is to make it clear that their subject matter is unacceptable.
If they insist on continuing to offend you and the others then THEY should be moved.
I didn't think my "hint" was all that "hint-y" but without the direct ouch of saying to the person "you disgust me." Of course, it looks like I missed that part before the begging. That part always comes before the begging.