Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2008, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Good balanced point Marty, nice one
Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Beginner

I've flow many times over the years and my philosopy is to never rely on the airlines for anything.

Food - Make sure you have your own food and drink just incase. Errors, running out of choices or sold out are all possibilities
Entertainment - Bring a book and an iPod well stocked with music/audio books or movies. Anything that can help you tune out the outside world.
Comfort - Bring an inflatable pillow ring and a sweater
Getting there on time - Even good airlines can't control weather, congestion or unexpected maintenance issues
Luggage - Have at least enough things in your carry on to last you 24 hours.

And most importantly, be realistic and understand the ticket you buy. Airlines are just like the bus nowadays with low fares. They run a business and do not have any moral contract with you. Their practice is to oversell flights. When they do and too many people show up, the passengers that pay the most get on first. Don't expect an airline to put you up in a $200 a night hotel when you pay $99 for a ticket.
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Admiral

I decided this would make a good poll question. How much extra surcharge would you pay to be on an adult only flight? Here is a link to the poll to vote.
http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=599852

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Passenger

WOW, it must be nice to be as perfect as some of the pevious posters, I am sure every parent boards a plane hoping their child screams or acts up in some way, personally I try to give them a reassuring smile that at least one person on the plane understands the anxiety they are feeling while trying to calm their child.

Roger

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
What I cannot stand is a child sitting behind me who kicks the seat or decides it's fun to throw things over the seat. Then they should be boiled.
Kid throws her toys over into my seat, she doesn't get them back ... period. I'll crush them underfoot first.

Hate to be nasty, but you start returning the stuff, and the kid is going to keep on doing it. Let the kid see she is losing her stuff, and she'll know better than to try that crap again.

Sometimes if the parents don't wish to parent, others have to "step up" to the plate and do it for them.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrider
WOW, it must be nice to be as perfect as some of the pevious posters, I am sure every parent boards a plane hoping their child screams or acts up in some way, personally I try to give them a reassuring smile that at least one person on the plane understands the anxiety they are feeling while trying to calm their child.
In just about every case where I've dealt with an unruly child on an airplane, it has not been because the child was hungry, thirsty, wet, etc. ... but rather because the child was being ignored ... by the parent(s). Lots of times all that is necessary to quiet the child is some quality one-on-one time with mommy. Instead of unfastening the child's seatbelt and letting him run up and down the aisle (something I dealt with once for an entire flight from Orlando to Philadelphia), why not lift the child out of his seat, put him on your lap, and then pull out a nice storybook? Read to the child, play with him, engage him in some way? But, no ... today parents are often too self-absorbed in their own thing ... iPOD in their ear, paperback book on their lap ... to even take notice that cute little Johnny is driving everyone around him bonkers by throwing stuff, yelling, popping in and out of his seat, etc.

If a child is truly hurting and mom is having no success finding out what the problem is and comforting him, then yes ... I can see feeling sorry for mom and maybe even wishing to help by offering a piece of candy or whatever. But many times the unruly children are the logical result of mommy's p*ss poor parenting skills and nothing else.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 6th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Yes mjrider,
The overwhelming theme here is the parents.

If I see a parent handling or trying to handle a situation then I am very compassionate as I have been there, done that.

ALL kids make noise at some point...it's one of their jobs.
And they all try to push the limits. Mom or Dad have to reinforce those limits.
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisebunny7
Children are not disciplined like we were. My parents spanked me, and I don't consider that abuse, I always did as I was told. I still don't know what happens if they get any farther than "1..2..3" (and I am 23!!) I was done with whatever was going on. My DH and I believe that our children need discipline, not abuse by any means, but our son knows what NO means and when to STOP.
Exactly. When a child is very, very young, a whack to the bottom is sometimes the only thing he understands. You can't reason with him, because often he is to young for that. But he understands that if he gets whacked, it's gonna hurt, and he wants to avoid that hurt at all costs.

Sometimes when I see children "acting out," I want so bad to whack them ... but of course, you can't do that ... even the parents often won't do that for fear of being arrested and charged with child abuse. And, believe me, kids generally are pretty smart. They learn real quick what they can get away with and then will push the envelope just as far as it will go.

That's why often there is nothing you can do when stuck in an airline cabin with an unruly child. If the parents are not willing to correct him, then your best course of action is often to just grin and bear it ... put on those noise cancelling headphones and try to ignore it. That's what I do.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 19th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Captain

i'm going to agree that i'd rather NOT fly with kids, but they are people who pay for tickets also. Its the price you pay when you get on a germ filled plane. The guy hacking tuberculousis in the back to the lil kid crying with a tummy ache, to the guy next to you snoring. They all paid for the ticket.

So basically i dont really truley agree that there should ever be a ban on anyone paying these prices. Perhaps the people with smaller children are the ones who HAVE to take red eyes due to cheaper costs....

Like i said the guy next to you snoring can be just as annoying. And all the sick coughing people on the plane that the air just recirculates and recirculates...
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
i'm going to agree that i'd rather NOT fly with kids, but they are people who pay for tickets also. Its the price you pay when you get on a germ filled plane. The guy hacking tuberculousis in the back to the lil kid crying with a tummy ache, to the guy next to you snoring. They all paid for the ticket.

So basically i dont really truley agree that there should ever be a ban on anyone paying these prices. Perhaps the people with smaller children are the ones who HAVE to take red eyes due to cheaper costs....

Like i said the guy next to you snoring can be just as annoying. And all the sick coughing people on the plane that the air just recirculates and recirculates...
Redeye flights are for sleeping. It is easier for me to handle the guy snoring then the kid crying or laughing while I'm trying to sleep. I would pay extra and the airlines wouldn't make all flight adult only just a couple of the early morning (think 5 or 6AM) flights. Most parents can't haul the kid out of bed and make it to the airport that early in the morning anyway.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Flying should only be for those that can take THEIR own life into their own hands for 2 or 11 hours, ie the chance I could die here.

Don’t care if they as adults take that chance, but to drag the children along into this game of sky roulette, that’s not fair on them.

Dont leave the house, its not safe
8)
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Flying should only be for those that can take THEIR own life into their own hands for 2 or 11 hours, ie the chance I could die here.

Don’t care if they as adults take that chance, but to drag the children along into this game of sky roulette, that’s not fair on them.

Dont leave the house, its not safe
8)
A man after Al Gore's heart!
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Beginner

I have been on more than one plane with a child who cried most of the flight. I felt so bad for the parents because they tried their best to get them to stop.

I also have more problems with adults. One time I was on an early morning flight back home from Vegas. Lack of sleep made me just want to rest my head on the window and sleep the whole way home. For starters, the person next to me took up her seat and half of my seat. After turning on my ipod and scrunching over to the window as much as I could I still was able to fall asleep. Next thing I know, "WHACK!" She smacked my hand because the flight attendent was taking drink orders. I was so stunned I didn't say anything. I told her I didn't want a drink and just wanted to sleep. I fell back asleep and again, "WHACK!" She smacked me again because the flight attendent was passing out snack. I told the lady, "If I don't want a drink so I can sleep, what makes you think I want a snack??" Even though my blood was boiling by now, I fell back asleep and she smacked my hand again! I told her, "I don't know what your problem is or what you want, but if you touch me one more time...so help me God!!!!!" Lucky for me she asked to be moved.
Old December 25th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am in all three catagories - Parent with young kids, business traveler and sometimes adult traveler without kids.

I think the airlines, restaurants and hotels should all have family sections. There are some airports that are beginning to have family security lines, I think these are great. I used one last month traveling with my kids and AVOID them when I am traveling on business.

If you want a kid free flight - Book an airline with a first class section and pay the freight (It will be a lot more than $25 extra but you will probably not have kids, although I admit to once booking one of my kids with me in FC). - Until then stop whining and move on. By the way I would probably take my kids behavior over some adults. I would say a no moron section but there would probably be no one able to sit in it ().

No Flames please (take it with the spirit intended and Merry Christmas).
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Admiral

So there is a place in the world and an airline that will give you First Class for $25 excess, who said that?

ehhh, yeah is there maybe two zeros missing off the end.

I've been Schipol Amsterdam - Miami and back first class and it cost me about $10,000 above the "bulk" price for two way back then. A one off and not the solution as far as I am concerned.

But I am not asking you or anyone else to control anything apart from what is in your control, either as an adult, or as a parent of children,,,all should think we are stuck on here for X hours, respect those around you, it can be a long flight.

Adults control yourselves...... children, well that control moves to the parent, again adult
Old December 26th, 2008, 03:26 PM
First Mate

for better or worse, i've solved the problem; i just won't take those looong flights anymore. after an 8hr flight from copenhagen to dc some years ago with a screaming, screaming brat next to me i gave it up. it just isn't worth it. no one does anything about it, especially parents; this child was screaming for her mother who was two seats behind; she was sitting with the father. after about seven hours of torture, i finally stood up and said, 'in the name of ___________ can't you take that child to her mother?" he blessed me out royally, but the other passengers smiled and gave me thumbs-up. and the airline crew did absolutely nothing but push their carts, try to sell things, and go on like life as usual. no more air france for me. whew.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:00 PM
Familiar Face

I agree this Dave B. children should not be forced to fly. and their are safe options for parents can give children so they sleep.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Go ahead and slam me for this if you must-- Kids are people too! I can't remember anyone being born an adult, we all started out as kids and have all done something to get on others nerves at one time. I know times have changed since I was a kid and some of you as well but lets remember when we were kids and give the kids a break. I have seen better behaved kids than some adults.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Ah Bentnail, sorry but you miss read me, children are great. BUT we are talking a society in which some adults that feel children are "little adults" and they are not, they are children and when given enough "freedom" can be the worst "little people" you can ever meet.

You become an adult through age and experience, my gripe is with adults that give their kids so much freedom as "little people" that their child like version of adult acceptability becomes a rod or something that will beat up other adults. That is apart from the parents who see it it as freedom, open, or whatever.

So its back to the liberal minded "share our family" attitude of the adult and their way of introducing children into the adult world. To expect me or any adult to accept being talked to by a child trying to be an adult is so unacceptable.

Yes we were all children once, but I learned a great lesson as a child and that was "speak when spoken to" ,,mmm we seem to have lost that one, they speak and do what they like and as if I was an equal,,wrong...Parent fault
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM
First Mate

Default Airline Flights

Katlady---right on target-----Bill
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Airline Flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbelt
Katlady---right on target-----Bill
Why thank you. This post was caused by flying back from Venice, Italy to Sacramento, California. The last flight was only 1 1/2 hours, but it felt longer that the 10 hour flight because of the misbehaving kid behind us. :evil:

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Passenger

Default Earplugs

I am a very light sleeper and also irritable when awoken unexpectedly.

Solution: I bring good earplugs wherever I go, especially planes and cruising. You can get about a dozen of the ones that block 35+ decibels for about $5 at any pharmacy.

This fits in with my life philosophy:
You'll never change other people, all you can do is change the way you react to them.
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Captain

I talk to airline workers everyday at work including gate agents, pilots, mechanics and others. There is just no way the majors are going to put together some "adults only" flights. The number of flights are now at an all time low. The entire idea with the airlines these days is to pack as many adults, kids, dogs and cats (not kidding) and whoever and whatever else on board and get going...A few minutes early whenever possible so be there plenty ahead of time. They are trying to pack as many on as few of flights as they can and there isn't any chance they are going to designate a flight as adults only. Many times, they are only making a few hundred bucks for flights anyway when fuel, salary, maintenance and everything else is factored in. It may not seem like it, but it would cost them thousands and thousands of dollars to do even a hand full of adult flights...There aren't enough people out there who are going to pay what it would take to make those flights operational (it wouldn't be a little extra, it would be ALOT extra). Off the subject, but does anyone know how much it cost when they make an emergency landing for someone having a medical emergency etc?...It's astronomical!
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Familiar Face

Default All for discipline

My children are grown with kids of their own. Yes, I spanked them. I was big on discipline. I found that if you disciplined early enough you set a pattern and later on you reaped the benefits.

I was once on a 3 hour flight where the "darling" in back of me kept kicking the seatback, quite hard. He was old enough to know better but his Mom just said boys will be boys. Well, she got her reward. The person in the seat in back of her overheard my complaints to both the flight attendant and Mom and proceeded to kick her seatback. She complained quite loudly but was told by several other passengers that boys will be boys. I hope she learned her lesson but I doubt it.
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Default Re: All for discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog57
My children are grown with kids of their own. Yes, I spanked them. I was big on discipline. I found that if you disciplined early enough you set a pattern and later on you reaped the benefits.

I was once on a 3 hour flight where the "darling" in back of me kept kicking the seatback, quite hard. He was old enough to know better but his Mom just said boys will be boys. Well, she got her reward. The person in the seat in back of her overheard my complaints to both the flight attendant and Mom and proceeded to kick her seatback. She complained quite loudly but was told by several other passengers that boys will be boys. I hope she learned her lesson but I doubt it.
Okay that's just too funny.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:16 AM
Captain

I agree parents are mostly responsible but I do think some here could have a bit more tolerance. Even good parents are going to have an impossible kid once in awhile. You're really going to crush some kid's toy to "teach" them a lesson? That's pretty adult.

There are a couple issues I think some tend to forget. For our purposes here, we tend to talk about flying for pleasure travel (mostly cruising). However, there are many people on EVERY flight who HAVE to get somewhere fast for family emergencies or whatever else life has thrown at them. Many times, that will involve traveling with their minor children. Do you really expect the airlines to refuse travel to someone who's family member is hurt badly in a car accident hundreds of miles away just because the flight is "adults only"? Many people aren't booking through a travel agent but just desperate to get on any flight they can for emergency purposes at the last minute....And as I stated before, there are less and less available flights almost monthly and it will get worse. Sadly, this is where the airlines make alot of their money...through last minute bookings. They are going to make far more off these type of bookings than just about anyone is going to be willing to pay to have a flight restricted for ages 18 and over.

I think most of us still have it in the back of our minds that flying is somewhat of a luxury. That's understandable, because most of us are old enough to remember when it was! These days though, if you think of it as much more than a flying Greyhound bus, you are usually going to be in for a let down. Just try to remember that it's still the safest way to travel and is now, for the most part, very inexpensive. Also, when things are going right, there is still no faster way to travel several hundred miles.
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:14 PM
Admiral

How about the airlines apply the same rules for children under 10 as they do for pets?

Crate 'em up and into the cargo hold with them unless their crate can fit under the seat.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004