Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Default Yikes!! Parking fees at the Ports....

Boy, you've got to add the parking fees to your list of cruise expenses along with the fuel supplement fees. Don't know how much the parking fees are in other Ports but Port Canaveral now charges $15/day, Jacksonville $15/day, Tampa $12/day and Miami charges a whopping $20/day. These fees would probably only impact Florida travelers or people living close enough to make the ride more feasible than flying. I'm sailing out of Miami in November so I need to add an additional $140 parking fee and $63 fuel surcharge to my cruise fee, yikes!

I wonder what other value added services the cruise lines will come up with?
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Only a matter of time...

before cruise lines install electric and water meters in every cabin and tack a utility bill on to the rest of the charges. Wait and see.
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:30 PM
First Mate

It makes All-Inclusive vacations sound better.
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Admiral

We found one parking lot in Miami near the airport that has parking for the port. It saves about $20 and they have a shuttle that takes you to the port and picks you up after the cruise.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old September 12th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Admiral

This is getting ridicules and I feel some businesses are jumping on a band wagon here.

What has changed with the price of oil etc that would detemine a parking lot has to increase its charges??? Dont get that

Your right its simply the lines (if they own it) screwing more dollars out of the client before they sail, and as an added tax to make up for other costs
Old September 12th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Yikes!! Parking fees at the Ports....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
Boy, you've got to add the parking fees to your list of cruise expenses along with the fuel supplement fees. Don't know how much the parking fees are in other Ports but Port Canaveral now charges $15/day, Jacksonville $15/day, Tampa $12/day and Miami charges a whopping $20/day. These fees would probably only impact Florida travelers or people living close enough to make the ride more feasible than flying. I'm sailing out of Miami in November so I need to add an additional $140 parking fee and $63 fuel surcharge to my cruise fee, yikes!

I wonder what other value added services the cruise lines will come up with?
Have you looked at the cost of two one-way car rentals instead of using your own car? You might be able to save some money. Hope this helps.

Dave
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Admiral

I think blaming the parking fees on the cruise lines is bogus. Most of the parking belongs to the port authorities, not the cruiselines except perhaps at Port Liberty NJ, which I believe belongs to RCCL. If you are horrified by the port parking fees, obviously you have not parked at most airports recently. Where are you going to park when you fly to the all-inclusive?

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
I think blaming the parking fees on the cruise lines is bogus. Most of the parking belongs to the port authorities, not the cruiselines except perhaps at Port Liberty NJ, which I believe belongs to RCCL. If you are horrified by the port parking fees, obviously you have not parked at most airports recently. Where are you going to park when you fly to the all-inclusive?
Doug is correct, most of the parking garages and lots are owned by the ports or private companies and not the cruise lines. Port property is very expensive and this space comes at a premium. I'm rather surprised it isn't more.

Current parking rates at Minneapolis/St. Paul are $16/day for on site parking and $12/day for "their" off-site parking. There are some other "Park and Fly" type lots that around $10/day. For people like me, who live a ways away from the airport, there isn't much of an alternative. There is no Super Shuttle here and a taxi, each way, would be more than the parking fee for a seven day cruise. We have found a few hotels that will let you park your car for seven days and take a shuttle to the airport. That's what we usually do if it's a cruise longer than seven days.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 13th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Admiral

And the parking fees are nothing new. Not a valid example of current "value added" costs.
Marty
Old September 14th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Agreed parking fees have always been there, but still feel some are jumping on a band wagon and hiking said fees for reasons that dont tie into to fuel price, or the credit crunch, an opportunity for some to make more money is how I see it
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Galveston Port

Parking there is $10 per day or you can opt to use a 3rd party vender(lighthouse and EZ Cruise Parking) for about $7 per day. Port of Galveston runs the parking lot for the main cruise parking.

Old September 16th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Familiar Face

We sailed Alaska out of Seattle in August. I paid online and in advance. It was $86 for the week. City parking for a Seahawk game is $40. The port parking was a bargin.
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Passenger

Have you seen the cost of parking at the airport? Here in Atlanta, daily parking is $14, economy parking $10. If you screw up and park in the wrong daily parking, it can cost you $28 per day. Offsite airport parking ranges from $9 per day and up. Like it or not, parking costs are a component of any vacation. Don't get me wrong... I'm certainly not defending the parking folks. Some hotels in port cities used to provide free parking for the week if you stayed at least one night in their facility (this has probably changed by now...).
RCCL C & A Platinum Members

10 total cruises on Carnival, Princess & RCCL
Next Cruise:
2009 - Undetermined yet, but looking
2010 - April 17 - Oasis OTS
2011 - Asia - THE 14 Day Big One...
Old October 4th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default parking fees

Here is a thought,
Contact auto detailers online, see if you can have pick up and drop off service while getting your car detailed.

If your car ever need any service or body work, this may also be a option.

Good luck.
Old October 4th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Passenger

Default Re: parking fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy
Here is a thought,
Contact auto detailers online, see if you can have pick up and drop off service while getting your car detailed.
Now there's an interesting idea!! I like that!
RCCL C & A Platinum Members

10 total cruises on Carnival, Princess & RCCL
Next Cruise:
2009 - Undetermined yet, but looking
2010 - April 17 - Oasis OTS
2011 - Asia - THE 14 Day Big One...
Old October 6th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Familiar Face

The reason for parking fees, besides making money, is to control the parking. When too many cars are left in the lots they will raise the rates. There are so many cars they must limit it some how, so if it is too expensive then one will find an alternative. IMHO, that's the premise anyway.
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Okay, so X amount of people want to drive to a ship that they are passengers on and need to park up to go on that vacation.

How does that work again on a cruise dock, the too many car thing and control, given they are also passengers of said cruise.

This is not people cheap parking to go to work, this is people trying to park as close as they can to the ship that will take them on vacation, and have their car close enough when they get back off.

But like a lot of things that simple amenieties, it is being taxed by some that are really just jumping on a band wagon and ripping off for the service, and for no real reason other than jumping on a band wagon and saying "I will have some of that"
Old October 8th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Familiar Face

Well I did mean to add that we do not have to like it. But it is really supply and demand I guess. If you wanna park close and there is limited spaces then the price goes up. If it was free or cheap then there would not be any room left. Itr makes people carpool or make other arrangments. Again, just one of the reasons, like it or not.

The town I live in is starting to have parking problems and they have discussed putting parking meters back as they were there back in the 50's-60's. People are using public parking all day long and the merchants need those spots for customers. The downtown areas havge just so many spots. Paying for a spot can make some that use them all day long find another place for that. That is why malls are built way out in the burbs where there is plenty of land to use for parking. A lot of mega churches move out there too.

Parking garages are also being proposed and with the cost of that it will be really be expensive.

Just some more thoughts on the subject.

And one last thing, IMHO anyway, a cruise or any vacation is loaded with businesses trying to get as much of your money as they can and you will let them take.

Good luck,

Robert
Old February 19th, 2009, 03:42 PM
First Mate

With airport parking fees at $18 parkign for a 38 day cruise is quickly approaching the cost of the cruise. We now take a shuttle to and from the airport and if we drive to a cruise city we try to stay at a hotel that will provide at a reduced rate long term parking for guest that go on a cruise.
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Captain

We use http://www.airportparkingreservations.com/
You can find hotels near the port for less than $10 pd
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

I tend to take a private service like a cab or shuttle to and from the airport and fly into town thereby avoiding the parking fees.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
Beginner

A couple of years ago, we were sailing out of Charleston, SC on the Majesty. I found a great way to beat the cost of parking at the port. I have family who live there and my nephew put us up for the night and drove us down to the port to catch our ship. He then picked us up the next week and I treated his family to a day on the beach and dinner that night. This worked out great and I got to visit with his family at the same time. Plus, he already knew the best way to get around town and avoid the traffic jams.