Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
This I can explain. The Paris Wine Tasting of 1976 or the Judgment of Paris is what bring California wines to the glorified state they currently enjoy. The Paris Wine Tasting of 1976 was a wine competition organized in Paris on 24 May 1976 by Steven Spurrier. Blind tasting was performed so that none of the judges knew the identity of what was being tasted.

The Californian wines won French judges just like them better.
Here is a link to the original Times article from 1976. http://www.montelena.com/our_winery/paris.html
This is my favorite part:

Gallic Gems. As they swirled, sniffed, sipped and spat, some judges were instantly able to separate an imported upstart from an aristocrat. More often, the panel was confused. “Ah, back to France!” exclaimed Oliver after sipping a 1972 Chardonnay from the Napa Valley. “That is definitely California. It has no nose,” said another judge – after downing a Batard Montrachet ’73. Other comments included such Gallic gems as “this is nervous and agreeable,” “a good nose, but not too much in the mouth,” and “this soars out of the ordinary.”
Katlady, that winning Stag's Leap was a wonderful wine. It was a great Cabernet and drinkable though young. It only cost around $5. In the years since, I have regretted not stocking up on that wine. Now, Stag's Leap is not affordable given its well deserved reputation.
. The winning Stag’s Leap Wine was a ’72 I wonder if there are any of those bottles still floating around. The Cabernets are pricey nowbewteen $50 to $85 per bottle. Next time I'm visit family in Napa I will have to pop over to Stag's Leap and do a wine tasting.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Katlady, thank you for your clarification to "its ship policy" So you agree after a few in a row posts, that its not a blanket statement regarding cruising and taking booze onboard, you where thinking Carnival when we started this, okay I understand that

Ron and Jon , you summed it, its a mixed up and mental policy. Why?

Especially when the mark up on wine and champagne is far above what the ship could earn against a pack of beer being taken onboard , so they let some bring the expensive stuff onboard, but on the minimal margin stuff they reject it.

That can only mean they don’t expect their majority ‘audience’ to bring or drink fine wines and champagne on board, so the rest of us that cant afford, like or want to drink good wines and champagne suffer.

I thought they had removed the class system from ships 8)

As for cigs as part of this, I take it you don’t smoke katlady 8) and good for you, but if there was only the most disgusting brand available on board and cheap, and tax free. Then there is a very good chance I would smoke them.

In the same way I put up with drinking Bud on draft as usually my only available 'beer'
Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:11 PM
Admiral

DayvidB you are right that I said the bottle of wine was "ship's policy" and I'm glad you asked for clarification. Because I have cruised Princess, Carnival, and Celebrity most recently all these lines allow a bottle of wine per person over 21. RCCL I cruised in 1994 (when the lines didn't change for soda) so I was not familar with thier current policy. I would hate for a newbie to try and bring a bottle of wine on board NCL or RCCL as it's not these cruiselines policy.

This quote is interesting.
Quote:
That can only mean they don’t expect their majority ‘audience’ to bring or drink fine wines and champagne on board, so the rest of us that cant afford, like or want to drink good wines and champagne suffer.
No one said it had to be a "fine" wine. It can be any bottle of wine. There are wines in all price ranges and different types. So it isn't a "class" thing. I can't afford a Stag Leap Cabernet. I can afford a Stone Cellars by Beringer Cabernet at $8.00 (USD) per bottle. In fact the USA store BevMo has lots of wines under $10.

I do agree it's odd they don't allow beer but do allow wine. But my point is on certain cruise lines it is allow to bring wine, so the corkage fee issue is different from sneaking in Alcohol.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 4th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Admiral

I'm gonna buy a frame for these words "DayvidB you are right"

Only kidding,,,,,but

What’s really now getting to me is if I write the words bottle of wine, then after I hit “submit” it becomes a link or advert to “whatever” wine site.

Disclaimer for DayvidB

In no way do I endorse any link the "whoever" decides to place on any of my words.

They get my venomous talent for free with its associated debate and site hits as the resident pain in the a@@ on here (apart from her) and now they want that turned into a personal endorsement of products as well 8)

But, who the hell would buy Fine Wines on my recommendation, bet that one goes blue as well.
Oh I could have fun with this, what words can I think of That may lead us to all sorts of links.

Whoever thought this one up,,oh dear

Edited: Oh since posting this the associated links have now gone,,,eh its not me honest, it really happened, I did not imagine it
Old October 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
First Mate

I like a good fine wine (like Boones Farm or Ripple). I prefer a vintage of no less then 3 to 5 weeks. I DID get one bottle last week that had an early July vintage. Love that old stock.
Old October 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Admiral

So CruiseGuy, how is the old still going, and whats your wine "buy" for next year or month. Personally, I cannot see past the old Dangle Berry, combined with a bit of the old "Boolsht" variation, that will be special 8)
Old October 4th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
I'm gonna buy a frame for these words "DayvidB you are right"

Only kidding
Did I write that. There must be something wrong with my computer. Hey, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Oh and Cruiseguy who doesn't like a nice bottle of thunderbird every once in a while.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Yes, and I have ordered two, please pass on your shipping address
Old October 12th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Play hardball with the pro's

Celebrity has simular rule as NCL, PER bottle brought onboard.

Broward County 'blue laws'

Fort Lauderdale, has age-old "blue laws" that ban Sunday alcohol sales before noon.

SPECIAL NOTE: NO SIZE RESTRICTION ON BOTTLE.

PRINCESS DRINKING POLICY
Passengers hereby agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier for safekeeping, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of $15.00 per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship's restaurants.

A traditional 750ml bottle (the standard size to be found @ supermarkets, are ¼ the volume as a double magnum bottle (3-Liter), in other words a double magnum is 4-times larger for the same corkage charge.
You can purchased 3-liter bottles @ TOTAL WINE, Call Store manager details, see information below.

Wine bottles are named after biblical kings.
The same name may be used to refer to different size bottles in different regions of France.
http://www.mdmwines.com/Bottle_Sizes.htm

For all of you Princess cruisers coming in late Friday night.
Double Magnums can be purchased @ The Harbor Shops Plaza

The Harbor Shops Plaza is behind the EMBASSY SUITES HOTEL on 17th Street, Total Wine has a super store in the Center.
The SUN TROLLEY will take you into the shopping center.
http://www.suntrolley.com/maps/convention.html

Total Wine
1906 Cordova Road
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316
Open until 11:00 PM on Fri. and Sat. Phone (954) 828-9463 Store Manager - Peggy Dugan, Wine Manager - Jeff Burke
Delivery on orders over $200 of wine within a 20 mile radius of this location including hotels, this is when you need CRUISEMATES.
http://www.totalwine.com/StoreList.a...e=FL&store=904