Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Captain

Default Saint John Vs. St Johns

I can't believe I'm brave enough to post on this part of the forum but here goes : )

Why is it that people seem intent on putting the Capital City of the Province of Newfoundland, Canada into the Province of New Brunswick? St. Johns is the capital of Newfoundland, Saint John is a kinda crummy port in New Brunswick where by the way you can absolutely drink the water. For many of you it's a "who cares?" I'm sure. But let me tell you if you google the two cities they are totally different. If you arrive in the two cities they are totally different.
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Admiral

I suppose most of it is personal confusion and basic lack of geographical knowledge.

Old September 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I hear you on that, it is confusing and many non-Canadians can make the mistake. Recently on the news a Brazilian woman (an artist who is originally from France) wanted to goto Syndey AUSTRALIA, but when booking her flight onlne she booked Syndey, NOVA SCOTIA (Canada)!!!!!!! When she got to Syndey she wondered why the signs said "Welcome to Canada" and not Australia and she soon found out she booked a three week vacation to the wrong Sydney......

St. John's also can be mixed up with the St. John's USVI.....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old September 27th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Admiral

I get this confusion, especially with Labrador and Newfoundland, why name the place you live in after dogs, that dont make sense.

So, I wanna go see or buy a Newfoundland dog ( I already have two), but they misunderstand me on the line, So I get the wrong flight and I end up being offered a bit of Canada for a $1000's

Okay, I may go for this,,,, but it it house trained?
Old September 27th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Admiral

I think the dogs are named for the place, not the other way around. But, if you do get a piece of housebroken land up there, can I come visit?
Marty
Old September 27th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Admiral

No way Marty, the dogs are named after the place, well there you go. I never thought of that

But hey, for a 1000 Canadian I guess I could buy us each a piece and we can visi each other 8) .

For me in replyng, just a parody on why some folks would get confused on St. or Saint, I can see the confusion,,not.

So poster, did the ships arrive in the wrong place because the Captain did not know his St. from his Saints.

Good post, gave me a laugh and a bit to play with in response.

But I wil also take your advice and not going to the crap one, now was that St. or Saint
Old September 27th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Captain

I love the posts about the newfie dogs, I personally don't know how anyone can handle to be around so much doggy drool even if they have sweet personalities and I personally don't see myself ever owning a dog that is bigger than me and can generate a pile of drool that a small child could drown in if left unattended.

Use your $1000 for visiting St. John's, NFLD, it is beautiful and has a lot of history and the people are totally awesome. Everyone in NFLD is family and it is a pretty incredible place to visit. Case in point, a member of my family was over there and their vehicle broke down, they ended up with over 12 cars stopped on the side of the road to help them out. In the end their car was towed to the garage of a friend of a friend and while it was being fixed his wife made them dinner and his brother offered up his guest room for the night because he didn't want to see them starting back out at dark. In other places we've been with broken vehicles we've sat in the car not knowing if we should pray for someone to stop or pray that no one stops!!

The captain of the Princess ship ended up in the right port in Saint John and while I am proud to be a New Brunswicker, I just cannot imagine why anyone would want to dock in Saint John. Thank goodness we have our maritime hospitality because I can't see much else that there is to do there. Maybe, it's because I live so close that I can't appreciate it or maybe it's just a dud port.
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Very big grin for a number of reasons

Yip, we do not allow our male 'Newfie' to roam the house, thats inviting slobber everywhere, and its like wallpaper paste, get your foot under that on a tiled floor and your gone

He's in the utility room at back and his 1 acre run outiside, he's happy.

Really big grin on the other points as thats the sort of thing my community does, oh your car broke down, lets try and fix it and make you dinner at the same time 8)

I love people that are people, and real.

Oh and I have family in Nova Scotia, been there, it's not everyones cup of tea, but so cool for me as I love honest people

Oh and I know about dud ports, they bring people to Scotland via Greenock..Oh my God..What a gateway or initial representation of my country that sh,,hole is...I quiver with embarrassment.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Admiral

I enjoyed visiting both ports last year. I was one of those who did not know the names were differant BEFORE I booked my cruise. I thought it was like Augusta, Georgia and Augusta, Maine, you know-same name-just a differant province.

I also thought Newfoundland was New Foundland. ! You will really hate that one! but at least I already knew that you have provinces and not states!

Please do not get too terribly upset with me! I learned better as I researched the ports pre cruise!
Old October 2nd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Captain

MomofMeg,

Funny enough it wasn't the average traveller that made me go aaaarrrrghhh the last time I saw the Saint John and St. John's mixed up it was after reading it in the news, seeing it posted on a couple of cruise sites by folks that the rest of us trust for our information, that made me go ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHH. Not even a real gripe, just one of those things that you find to complain about when there is nothing truly important to complain about : )

Funny enough I was in Saint John a couple of weeks ago when a ship docked and I had this lady approach me and was asking questions about these excursions I had never heard of and after talking to her for a few minutes we realized that she thought she was at a port in Maine not in Canada. I honestly can't imagine having missed that notice while enjoying my cruise, but alas, some of us are clearly not as observant as the others.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Littletime
MomofMeg,

Funny enough it wasn't the average traveller that made me go aaaarrrrghhh the last time I saw the Saint John and St. John's mixed up it was after reading it in the news, seeing it posted on a couple of cruise sites by folks that the rest of us trust for our information, that made me go ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHH. Not even a real gripe, just one of those things that you find to complain about when there is nothing truly important to complain about : )

Funny enough I was in Saint John a couple of weeks ago when a ship docked and I had this lady approach me and was asking questions about these excursions I had never heard of and after talking to her for a few minutes we realized that she thought she was at a port in Maine not in Canada. I honestly can't imagine having missed that notice while enjoying my cruise, but alas, some of us are clearly not as observant as the others.
Here is my funny memory of St. John. We took an excursion to the light house and the oldest house in Newfoundalnd etc. We were to go whale watching also but that was canceled as the whales had left. We were there September 23,2007-and so it was "iffy" if the whales would still be around.

Our tourguide took us to this small "mom and pop" type restuarant for lunch. Our group wanted to go there because of moose sandwiches on the menu!
This was defientely a mom and pop restuarant as the owner himself prepared our meals. He had a son around 4 years old, who came out and talked to us. I am from the southern US. Our group had people from England, New York, Idaho, California, Ontario, Canada etc, from all over. (this cruise was a repositioning transatlantic it started in England and enede in New Jersey, US)
This kid zones in on me and says "You are not from here are you? You are from Mexico, aren't you?" we laughed and laughed over that one-the couple from Idaho and my hubby said it was because he knew I was from the south, he just thought a little further south! !

I can see you would be irritated if the local news could not get the names straight. I guess I would too. I am from Augusta, GA orginally, and like you said, although the names of the cities are the same in my case, Augusta, Ga is very differant from Augusta Maine.

Have you heard the joke about the guy who was transferred with his job and his family were unhappy? They were from Cleveland, Ohio and every night they would pray that the Dad's job would move them to Cleveland. Well their prayers were answered. He was transfered again to Cleveland TEXAS!

As far as the poor woman asking you about excurisons for St. John's Nova Scotia-if she was on a cruiseship-perhaps her cruise included BOTH ports- which is why she was confused. I HOPE she did not have info for a port she was not visiting-that would be like the poor woman who wanted to go to Syndey, Australia and ended up in a Syndey in Canada! Since she was from Brazil I imagine the flight was around the same distance-! She just flew that far in the WRONG direction!

Here is some other like sounding names. We have both a Rome and Athens, GA USA and there is also a Paris, Texas, USA. Not quite the same, huh!

I know I posted several times to a gal from Canada awhile back whom I thought was from Britian. she lived in London, Ontario, I think, and she spoke of another area called Southhampton that was near her. We had a good laugh when she realized I had misunderstood her and thought she was a brit!