Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Passenger

Default Time to drop fuel surcharges

Even though oil is way down, some of the cruise lines are still adding a fuel surcharge .... they must hate to let go of a cash cow. The CCL group has a new fuel deal, if it's $70/barrel for 25 days before you sail they will drop it. That's pretty stingy, it was $100 when the surcharge started. Hopefully cruisers will delay booking until the fee is dropped, putting a little pressure on them. If one drops them the rest will likely follow. Westjet in Canada has dropped fuel surcharges. Why don’t we all call the cruise lines and suggest it?
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Not going to call them, but they will get the message in pre bookings are down.

Tonight I am looking for a 14 night cruise either in Europe or Eastern Carib , but the prices are way out there because of this "fuel crisis", plus some then add on up to £70 p/p in fuel tax for something that I want to do in October 09,,,,, ,,,they are chancing it on the cost of fuel, but I am not a speculator on gas prices a year from now, so not prepared to pay up front.

So no chance, like a lot of folks, I will take my chance and having picked my cruise book or do something later or nearer the time and if, and only if I find the price acceptable then.

You would have to be mental to book early at these prices and the surcharges, and that goes for both the line and the airline taking you there, crazy prices
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Passenger

Dayvid, agreed. Good luck to both of us.
Old October 16th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Admiral

The lines are playing poker here, okay I can stare out that hand. Why, because I have the money and they want it, be cool folks, you may want what they offer, but they want your money even more.

Be careful in long term pre booking today and the surcharges presented today, as its for something that may be a long way off.

But to be fair to the lines, if gas prices do go down a year from now, did I miss something in all their spin that also says "IF gas prices go down before you join your cruise, then we will refund that surcharge",,,,eh no

Or did I miss it?
Old October 28th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Beginner

Default Fuel Surcharge

Some of the Cruise lines will on give you an on board credit BUT you have to ask for it and negotiate with them, even if you are already booked you can phone them and negotiate an on board credit.

It is definitely a cash cow so why would they do anything unless they get enough complaints AND the bookings stop!

Ptork
Old October 28th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

They are going to get the money reguardless. They will raise the price of the cruise to compensate for the Fuel fee. Just watch and see.

Old October 28th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello Fellowcruisers,

If the cruise lines take away the fuel surcharge and raise the cost of a cruise it might still keep people from going on a cruise. Either way, if enough people decide a cruise costs too much money and go elsewhere, the cruise lines will have to come down in price as they rely on the grats, cruise tours and alcohol to make their profits.

elf
Old October 29th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Admiral

I normally book cruises way in advance. But not this time, there are better deals when the lines discover they can't fill thier ships. Oil Prices have gone way down the fuel surcharges should be cancelled. I can wait to cruise until they are. Also if they try to increase the price of a cruise to make up the difference, in this economy they will be sailing with half full ships.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Stop agreeing with me, your spooking me out 8)
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Stop agreeing with me, your spooking me out 8)
October is always a spooky time of year.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 1st, 2008, 12:36 PM
First Mate

Default It was NOT $100.00

It was low $70's and had been for awhile before the surcharge was imposed.
Sorry, I have to disagree. In the simplist of terms, if you cannot afford to cruise because of a fuel surcharge, there is KOA camp ground nearby.

I would rather see the fuel surcharge that have a conversation begin...
"Gee, remember when there were alot of cruise lines to choose from?"

There is a solution: Drill here, Drill Now
Old November 1st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: It was NOT $100.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmunk
It was low $70's and had been for awhile before the surcharge was imposed.
Sorry, I have to disagree. In the simplist of terms, if you cannot afford to cruise because of a fuel surcharge, there is KOA camp ground nearby.

I would rather see the fuel surcharge that have a conversation begin...
"Gee, remember when there were alot of cruise lines to choose from?"

There is a solution: Drill here, Drill Now
You are wrong, oil prices did reach $100 per barrel. At that time the fuel surcharge made sense."Prices closed at $100.64 a barrel on the last trading day in September." http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081031/oil_prices.html
"Oil's huge collapse -- prices fell 32 percent for the month"

This happened in October. What excuse do the cruise lines have in charging fuel surcharge now? If the cruise lines want to rise the prices they should do that it they think the demand is high enough. Trying to hide this as an extra charge is underhanded way of doing business.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM
First Mate

it is time to drop the charges, but i have a HAL cruise coming up, and they are not dropping any charges, nor are they giving any shipboard credit. i love hal, but they are tough when it comes to profit, even if i do have almost 160 days on them. they give very little to past cruisers, and i would change lines, but i like hal. what to do? padre doug
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Admiral

None of the cruises through 08 will the fuel surcharge be dropped-after 09, it goes by price of gas per quarter.

It WOULD gripe me about our upcoming NCL cruise that we paid $200 in fuel surcharges, except we have been upgraded to a minisuite, since the ship is having trouble selling out. I can't complain, I guess. It would have cost us alot more than $200 extra to be in a minisuite normally.
We are also doing like Kat Lady, we wait until after the 90 day before the cruise period before booking, to get a better price, and It works, what has amazed me though, was three weeks after we booked the cheapest balcony, we were upgraded to the best minisuite catagory. We cruise in less than 3 weeks now.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Nice one, you have a great time 8)
Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Admiral

You gotta love that upgrade. I only got that once from oceanview to suite to bad it was only a 4 day cruise. It still rocked. Have a great cruise.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Found this today, it is a bit long but it does explain.
Quote VTG news letter

"The steep drop in the price of fuel has prompted most major cruise lines to make changes to their highly unpopular fuel surcharges. The new policies are convoluted, but I'll do my best to explain them.

Carnival, Costa, Cunard, Holland America, P&O, Princess and Seabourn have eliminated fuel surcharges for new bookings for 2010 departures, effective immediately.

The situation is considerably less cut-and-dried for 2008 and 2009 departures.

If the price of light sweet crude oil is $70 per barrel or less according to the New York Mercantile Exchange Index (NYMEX) at the 2:30 p.m. close of business on 25 consecutive trading days, ending five trading days prior to a cruise departure, fuel supplements paid by passengers on that sailing will be refunded in the form of onboard credits.

In other words, the price of oil must remain at $70 or less per barrel for 25 trading days in a row until five trading days before your cruise in order for you to receive that shipboard credit. Passengers who booked a 2010 cruise on these lines before October 31, 2008 will be charged a fuel supplement, but they will also be eligible for onboard credit under the same fuel price conditions applied to 2008 and 2009 departures.

Fortunately, this process will be automatic--passengers will not need to apply for the onboard credit or try to track the price of oil themselves. However, Carnival Corp., which owns and operates these cruise lines, has raised prices on all 2010 cruises to reflect the fact that even at $70 per barrel the price of fuel is significantly higher than in the past.

Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Azamara and Norwegian will not apply fuel surcharges to bookings made on or after November 10, 2008 for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2010. Fuel surcharges still apply to 2008 departures. For 2009 sailings, and for 2010 sailings booked before November 10, 2008, these lines may refund fuel surcharges as onboard credits. Refunds will be determined on a quarterly basis: If the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel is $65 or less at the close of the NYMEX, two weeks prior to the beginning of an upcoming calendar quarter, then onboard credits will be provided to all passengers on sailings that depart during that calendar quarter.

Still with me? Here's how it breaks down:

If the price per barrel is $65 or less on December 18, 2008, passengers departing between January 1 and March 31, 2009 will receive onboard credit.

If the price per barrel is $65 or less on March 18, 2009, passengers departing between April 1 and June 30, 2009 will receive onboard credit.

If the price per barrel is $65 or less on June 17, 2009, passengers departing between July 1 and September 30, 2009 will receive onboard credit.

If the price per barrel is $65 or less on September 17, 2009, passengers departing between October 1 and December 31, 2009 will receive onboard credit.

The same timeline and conditions apply to 2010 sailings booked prior to November 10, 2008. Again, the shipboard credits will be automatically provided.

On a much simpler note, Cruise West is waiving its fuel surcharge on all new and current 2009 Alaska cruise bookings for passengers who pay in full by December 12, 2008.

At this writing, no other cruise lines have announced changes to their fuel surcharge policies. And, there's no guarantee that the lines mentioned above won't reinstate the supplements for 2010 if fuel prices spike."
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentnail
Quote VTG news letter

"The steep drop in the price of fuel has prompted most major cruise lines to make changes to their highly unpopular fuel surcharges. The new policies are convoluted, but I'll do my best to explain them.

Carnival, Costa, Cunard, Holland America, P&O, Princess and Seabourn have eliminated fuel surcharges for new bookings for 2010 departures, effective immediately.

If the price of light sweet crude oil is $70 per barrel or less according to the New York Mercantile Exchange Index (NYMEX) at the 2:30 p.m. close of business on 25 consecutive trading days, ending five trading days prior to a cruise departure, fuel supplements paid by passengers on that sailing will be refunded in the form of onboard credits.

In other words, the price of oil must remain at $70 or less per barrel for 25 trading days in a row until five trading days before your cruise in order for you to receive that shipboard credit. Passengers who booked a 2010 cruise on these lines before October 31, 2008 will be charged a fuel supplement, but they will also be eligible for onboard credit under the same fuel price conditions applied to 2008 and 2009 departures.

Fortunately, this process will be automatic--passengers will not need to apply for the onboard credit or try to track the price of oil themselves. However, Carnival Corp., which owns and operates these cruise lines, has raised prices on all 2010 cruises to reflect the fact that even at $70 per barrel the price of fuel is significantly higher than in the past.

Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Azamara and Norwegian will not apply fuel surcharges to bookings made on or after November 10, 2008 for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2010. Fuel surcharges still apply to 2008 departures. For 2009 sailings, and for 2010 sailings booked before November 10, 2008, these lines may refund fuel surcharges as onboard credits. Refunds will be determined on a quarterly basis: If the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel is $65 or less at the close of the NYMEX, two weeks prior to the beginning of an upcoming calendar quarter, then onboard credits will be provided to all passengers on sailings that depart during that calendar quarter.

Still with me? Here's how it breaks down:

If the price per barrel is $65 or less on December 18, 2008, passengers departing between January 1 and March 31, 2009 will receive onboard credit.

If the price per barrel is $65 or less on March 18, 2009, passengers departing between April 1 and June 30, 2009 will receive onboard credit.

If the price per barrel is $65 or less on June 17, 2009, passengers departing between July 1 and September 30, 2009 will receive onboard credit.

If the price per barrel is $65 or less on September 17, 2009, passengers departing between October 1 and December 31, 2009 will receive onboard credit.

The same timeline and conditions apply to 2010 sailings booked prior to November 10, 2008. Again, the shipboard credits will be automatically provided.

On a much simpler note, Cruise West is waiving its fuel surcharge on all new and current 2009 Alaska cruise bookings for passengers who pay in full by December 12, 2008.

At this writing, no other cruise lines have announced changes to their fuel surcharge policies. And, there's no guarantee that the lines mentioned above won't reinstate the supplements for 2010 if fuel prices spike."
My cruise leaves in late November-so no hope I suppose.
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Great post bentnail, but getting a sore head trying to determine if I am getting ripped off or not

2010, they are having a laugh, at our expense
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

DayvidB

Our next cruise with lots of luck will not have the fuel fees, 2010 ?? unless a super deal comes along that will help off set the fuel fee.
We got hit with the fuel fee on the 19 day cruise last month, but we knew about it before booking.

If you get the fuel fee (your money) back as an OBC and if I am thinking right it has to be used up by the end of the cruise because you can not cash out a OBC.

I am not sure the cruise lines are laughing at our expense as much as the oil companys are.

Drew
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentnail
Quote VTG news letter

My cruise leaves in late November-so no hope I suppose.
Okay I hated it when things get this confusing. Momofmeg you have hope, right now the price per barrel is $62.30. When do you cruise? Here is a link the light sweet crude prices.

I need to find a link to historical prices because what this says is if the price is under $70 per barrel for 25 trading days (no weekends or holidays) end 5 trading days before your cruise.

This means if you cruise on Nov 10 that means starting monday Nov 3 was 5 trading days before your cruise on the oil prices don't matter. You care about four weeks in October from October 6 to October 31 the price of oil could not have been under $70 per barrel. Here is a link to the current price.
http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/m...ote?symbol=-CL

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Good and true train of thought, as that would make sense to a lot of folks.

But reality is, different.

You book a cruise 12 months or more from now, you book it at a price and with that today comes supplements including oil that THEY expect YOU to be paying for well in advance, the “distant” gamble of what it may cost in 2009 or 10. But not the moment in time you actually sail on this ship.

So, lets say today in Nov 08 I book a cruise with oil driving up my potential cruise price, when oil is lets say $70 a barrel...What if its $20 a barrel when I sail, and in 18 months time,,,,have I just TODAY just supplemented the line and those passengers booking later by being so niave?

I would say yes, unless they have a way of refunding my gamble and loyality
Old November 8th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Great post bentnail, but getting a sore head trying to determine if I am getting ripped off or not

2010, they are having a laugh, at our expense
I understand because it went over $70 a barel this past Wedensday and then dropped again -that the 25 day thingie started over.

As I said, I did not expect a refund for my cruise-so I won't complain.
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Davyid B and momofmeg you have me confused again. I'm looking at Carnival's policy.
Quote:
25 consecutive trading days, ending five trading days prior to a cruise departure
Your 25 days doesn't restart. Because the five trading days before your cruise isn't part of the 25 days. You would look 30 trading days out and keep a record of that then take off the last 5, if the price closed over $70 on any of these days no ship board credit, if it stayed under that ship board credit. I agree it's a confusing lame way of doing it. Today it closed at $59.33 so that's good.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Davyid B and momofmeg you have me confused again. I'm looking at Carnival's policy.
Quote:
25 consecutive trading days, ending five trading days prior to a cruise departure
Your 25 days doesn't restart. Because the five trading days before your cruise isn't part of the 25 days. You would look 30 trading days out and keep a record of that then take off the last 5, if the price closed over $70 on any of these days no ship board credit, if it stayed under that ship board credit. I agree it's a confusing lame way of doing it. Today it closed at $59.33 so that's good.
Katlady, my crusie leaves Nov. 23-so that is within the 25 day period for me-although the price went right back down the next morning- I can't say 25 CONSECUTIVE days. A techinciallity-YES- I agree.

But as I said, for 3 people, we paid-including surcharges, $2305 for 3 peope in a minsisuite for Thanksgiving week. Do you think I should complain? ! I am still amazed at what we paid for that cruise.
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Katlady, my crusie leaves Nov. 23-so that is within the 25 day period for me-although the price went right back down the next morning- I can't say 25 CONSECUTIVE days. A techinciallity-YES- I agree.

But as I said, for 3 people, we paid-including surcharges, $2305 for 3 peope in a minsisuite for Thanksgiving week. Do you think I should complain? ! I am still amazed at what we paid for that cruise.
That is a great price for a mini suite. On November 4th it went to $70.53, that .53 messed you up. Boy that is a bummer.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Personally, this is a great topic.... the price you pay to cruise with all the fuel prices, recession etc, but I don’t understand a lot of the above, sorry.

Can we turn it into advice or reality THAT old people like me understand?
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Personally, this is a great topic.... the price you pay to cruise with all the fuel prices, recession etc, but I don’t understand a lot of the above, sorry.

! David I am 54. You said you were 51.
Old November 19th, 2008, 09:41 AM
First Mate

Default WTI

RCI is using West Texas Intermediate as their benchmark.
Prices, at the business opening today were $54.36.
Dec 18,2008 is the target date for RCI to be below $65.00

Oil futures were in th $70's when the surcharge started and for all the major cruise lines their futures contracts were expiring. They literally ran for several months at the spot market price so the surcharge was a last resort.

Some "experts" are predicting oil prices will settle in the mid $40's unless OPEC does something drastic.
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:

On another thread this link was posted. There is a table on the bottom showing on the closing prices of oil. Nov 4 is not bold because the price closed at $70.53. This means if Nov 4 is 25 trading day before your cruise you are paying the fuel surcharge. Nevermind that it was only .53 cent and dropped well below that every trading day after Nov 4. If you leave after Dec 7 then this Nov 4 oil price will not impact you. There is some confusion about Nov 27, here in the USA it's Thanksgiving and the regular stock market is closed. But oil is traded on the commdities market and their schedule is a bit different. So Nov 27 may or may not be a trading day. I don't think I made it any clearer. Sorry it's a confusing policy they do that so people won't understand. If you don't understand the policy, they can charge you the fuel charge and say it went above $70. How many real people keep track of the price of Light Sweet Crude Oil? http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines....entUpdate.aspx

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994