Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 336
Default Plastic Furniture

How say we to Wal-Mart furniture? Noticed how more and more plastic furniture is being introduced to the cruise industry replacing the traditional teak? It's getting so that now, in some areas, being aboard is like sitting on a trailer patio. Even the chez lounge is now the moulded flip trap that we wouldn't have at home. Feather weight balcony furniture blowing about during the night. It's unquestionably cheaper, and cheap is the word, but in the long run the joys of cruising will become MacDonald like and that is something we can do without.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
misguidedangel's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,670
Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel
Default

FYI-Carnival is getting rid of plastic deck chairs. The chaise loungers are likely here to stay and will all be replaced en mass ship by ship. The plastic furniture is cheap, and is also a hazard if there is a fire, therefore the Triumph, Conquest, and Liberty all have metal/canvas (and or other fabric/wicker) chairs on the Lido deck and balconies. I can't speak for all other ships in Carnival or other cruise lines, but hopefully one by one each ship will change. The Miracle has nice wood deck chairs (from looking back at pics from 2007).

I am not fan of rubbermaid plastic chairs, so I agree with you when the cruise lines keep them in favour of better deck chairs. The new chairs are not light, they are very sturdy. I can't comment on the quality of chaise lounges as I can't sit in a lounge chair for longer than 15 minutes before realized I have something better to do than fry my skin, which burns crisp in under one hour with sunblock 45 on.....
__________________




1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
DayvidB's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,019
Default

Agreed, but a sad reflection of the times, you get what you pay for. Not all lines are like that
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 336
Default

Well good for Carnival, this is good news. Anything but that white polywhatever. Hadn't thought about the fire hazard but that is an excellent point. Hope the transition to more sensible and durable furniture will spread like wildfire through the industry.

And we agree that the 12 day $495. cruise mentality is to blame.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 12,911
Default

Won't cheap plastic furniture fall apart faster? Is it truly more cost effective to constantly replace cheapo plastic furniture or to spend a few more bucks for something that will last a while.
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:10 PM
green_rd's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indianapolis (USA)
Posts: 5,326
Default

The cheap plastic furniture is also lighter (hence the blowing around at ngiht). Lighter furniture means better fuel efficiency, means better cost containment. So think the suits.
__________________
Bob

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 390
Default

has anyone given a nod to ecology here? teak wood is very slow growing, its habitat is dwindling, it is expensive, and to decimate it is a natural disaster. i don't like cheap plastic either, but 'heavy metal' is ok with me.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 12,911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombre
has anyone given a nod to ecology here? teak wood is very slow growing, its habitat is dwindling, it is expensive, and to decimate it is a natural disaster. i don't like cheap plastic either, but 'heavy metal' is ok with me.
Okay I will take bamboo tables and chairs then. It's better to ecology then tweak and nice then plastic. Won't this look nicer on a cruise ship?
[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020pqvg9JFbMAFpejzbkF/SIG=12t1k90bk/EXP=1225854954/**http%3A//www.bambooworld.com/images/bamboo%2520table%2520and%2520chairs.jpg[/img]
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,842
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

Most of the ships are opting for the new, more durable plastic that looks like wicker. They also have thick cushy cushions. Deck chairs are getting better! You can still get teak on Holland America and Cunard, though.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old November 8th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Mean Dean's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,280
Default

As a woodworker, I can tell you that teak is plentiful -- you just need to know where to find it. The most available and the most environmentally friendly teak is plantation-grown. When trees are harvested, new ones are planted in their places.
__________________
Dean


Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:45 PM
DayvidB's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,019
Default

Agreed, when it is harvested through plantations, it is a great resource. An example is Oregon and how they deal with tree plantations, ie cut, burn and plant every 60 years or so and in an organised way, gives them an economy,,,and a beautiful product. One I can lay on, or build a home with.

Don’t cut the resource….if you don’t replant
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 336
Default

Just back from Royal Princess btob Ecuador and are happy to report that teak could be seen everywhere, on promenade deck and on the main pool deck. We took a peek at a brass label on one of the many two-piece teak deck chairs found on promenade. It read "Queen Elizabeth". Now that's what we call recycling.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 411
Default

The teak deck loungers on Holland are fantastic. Anyone know where I can buy some??
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,404
Default Re: Plastic Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron n Jon
How say we to Wal-Mart furniture? Noticed how more and more plastic furniture is being introduced to the cruise industry replacing the traditional teak? It's getting so that now, in some areas, being aboard is like sitting on a trailer patio. Even the chez lounge is now the moulded flip trap that we wouldn't have at home. Feather weight balcony furniture blowing about during the night. It's unquestionably cheaper, and cheap is the word, but in the long run the joys of cruising will become MacDonald like and that is something we can do without.
What is your problem with Walmart, Trailer patio's and McDonalds (Billions sold)?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Mean Dean's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,280
Default

Susie,

Those teak deck loungers are usually over $1000 each......

My next outdoor furniture project is interestingly enough, teak deck loungers. I have Norm Abram's New Yankee Workshop DVD, and have watched it a few times, and the loungers don't look super difficult to build. I need to locate the correct sizes of teak lumber and I'm all set.

I'll begin work on them this spring when the weather warms up, and I'll post photos of them when they're finished!
__________________
Dean


Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:14 AM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 12,911
Default

Lots of websites for the chairs if you put in teak steamer chairs. They are quite nice.
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
DayvidB's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,019
Default

And your view on conservation was , apart from they look nice
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old December 19th, 2008, 02:19 PM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 12,911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
And your view on conservation was , apart from they look nice
Well they look nice and are much better the plastic chairs. Oh; also since there are many different types of teak chair I thought I would put up a picture of the one Mean Dean is talking about. I know the chair he is referring to because of my superpower. ssshh don't tell anyone my secret ID as Katlady.
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old December 19th, 2008, 02:30 PM
DayvidB's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,019
Default

Okay, thats as much as I expected, well done you for the nice pictures on this topic. Gotta go, been swimming here and just reached the shallow end of the pool ........
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 02:06 AM
Mean Dean's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,280
Default

You know, David B. Good my friend, I haven’t decided whether you piss me off or make me laugh…..

Do you stir the pot just because you like to stir, or because you have real concerns?

And while I’m thinking of it, the puppy avatar doesn’t really suit you – your James Bond avatar was much better.

So let’s have at it…….

Plantation-grown teak is a sustainable, Earth-friendly, economic-friendly natural resource. Plantation-grown teak trees are planted on farms, grown to maturity, and harvested. In their place new trees are planted, and the cycle continues. Teak wood is a remarkably durable wood species, resistant to all forms of attack. Teak has a remarkably high silica content, and is extremely oily for a hardwood.

Furniture crafted from teak wood is generational……..

Teak furniture crafted today will be enjoyed by my children. And their children. And their children………

Teak wood is also enjoyed by the United States Navy. All United States Navy large-caliber warships sail with teak decks, fore and aft.

And should you decide to debate me on United States Navy history, do so at your peril. For I will win, and you will lose.
__________________
Dean


Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
Plantation-grown teak is a sustainable, Earth-friendly, economic-friendly natural resource. Plantation-grown teak trees are planted on farms, grown to maturity, and harvested. In their place new trees are planted, and the cycle continues. Teak wood is a remarkably durable wood species, resistant to all forms of attack. Teak has a remarkably high silica content, and is extremely oily for a hardwood.
Furniture crafted from teak wood is generational……..
Teak furniture crafted today will be enjoyed by my children. And their children. And their children……….
It is for this reason we have two such teak lounge chairs on our home deck. Their comfort brings back all our wonderful sea travel memories. Before purchase however we did verify that the supply of teak in their making was from Plantation-grown trees. We purchased them on line in the late summer season and acquired them for only one hundred dollars (Canada) each. Lucky us.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 12,911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
You know, David B. Good my friend, I haven’t decided whether you piss me off or make me laugh…..

Do you stir the pot just because you like to stir, or because you have real concerns?

And while I’m thinking of it, the puppy avatar doesn’t really suit you – your James Bond avatar was much better.

So let’s have at it…….

Plantation-grown teak is a sustainable, Earth-friendly, economic-friendly natural resource. Plantation-grown teak trees are planted on farms, grown to maturity, and harvested. In their place new trees are planted, and the cycle continues. Teak wood is a remarkably durable wood species, resistant to all forms of attack. Teak has a remarkably high silica content, and is extremely oily for a hardwood.

Furniture crafted from teak wood is generational……..

Teak furniture crafted today will be enjoyed by my children. And their children. And their children………

Teak wood is also enjoyed by the United States Navy. All United States Navy large-caliber warships sail with teak decks, fore and aft.

And should you decide to debate me on United States Navy history, do so at your peril. For I will win, and you will lose.
I just think it's pretty.
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
chair, chairs, chaise, cruise, deck, durable, elizabeth, loungers, plastic, queen, real, ship, teak, walmart

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ontario furniture store giving away RCL cruises felix_the_cat Royal Caribbean International 2 February 12th, 2010 05:57 PM
Best verandah furniture?? susierphillips All Things Cruising 2 May 1st, 2008 08:53 PM
Balcony furniture tahitirose Ask CruiseMates Staff 2 April 8th, 2007 10:20 PM
[b]furniture on the spirit[/b] Joecat890 Norwegian Cruise Lines 5 October 19th, 2006 08:13 PM
Balcony furniture Cruznut2 Travel Gripes! 8 April 9th, 2006 02:22 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1